Old Route 66
✟34,744.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
To me Vlad the Impaler stands out as the most brutal.

Romanian Christians tend to regard him as a hero in the struggle against the relatively brutal subjugation of their people by the Turks.

I can think of many figures from that era much worse than Vlad. For example, Timur the Lame, who killed off all of the East Syriac Christians outside of India and Mesopotamia.

Reactions: Chesterton
Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟242,669.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
According to this list Idi Amin is number 9 out of 10 with 1 being the worst. So there are 8 others who are classed as more evil. Hitler is number 3 and his Nazi Party killed around 17 million people. Saddam Hussein is number 4 killing around 2 million. Starlin makes the list at number 2 killing around 23 million and number 1 is Mao Tse-Tung who wiped out nearly 50 million people. Others who made the list were Vlad the Impaler, Shaka Zulu and Genghis Khan.
Top 10: EVIL Dictators

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
According to this list Idi Amin is number 9 out of 10 with 1 being the worst. So there are 8 others who are classed as more evil. Hitler is number 3 and his Nazi Party killed around 17 million people. Saddam Hussein is number 4 killing around 2 million. Starlin makes the list at number 2 killing around 23 million and number 1 is Mao Tse-Tung who wiped out nearly 50 million people. Others who made the list were Vlad the Impaler, Shaka Zulu and Genghis Khan.
Top 10: EVIL Dictators
One thing to be noticed about such lists is that our minds seem automatically to turn to rulers. It's true that they are in a position to do harm to millions of people, but I wonder if the worst people in history might have been less public figures. I have none in mind, but it's a thought.

Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟370,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I'll just mention the 4th of the 12 Caesars--Gaius Julius Caesar Germanicus, AKA Caligula. He became Emperor after the death of Tiberius, his great uncle. He started out as a pretty decent and enlightened ruler. But after several months he became seriously ill--maybe with some type of encephalitis. He recovered, but was apparently left with a disturbing personality change. Most of what's known about him was written by Suetonius. Who was no fan, so it's hard to know how much of his supposed cruelty, megalomania, and overall insanity is real. It's very doubtful that he killed as many people as those in the video, but he was bad enough that he was assassinated by his own guards after only a few years as Emperor.

For anyone interested, a update of Suetonius's Lives of the Caesars by historian Michael Grant is very interesting reading.

The Twelve Caesars

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums