Hebrews 13:13
Mar 10, 2013
In God's Hand
✟16,186.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
How Paul was speaking back in the day is relevant for us to understand what tongues are for in 1 Corinthians 14th chapter.

Believers will read their supernatural experiences into the scripture when they should be reading the scripture as is.

1 Corinthians 14:28 But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God.

This is Paul saying that the person speaking is not doing so as manifested by the Holy Spirit to speak in tongues because it is not coming with interpretation. Paul is giving a guideline in exposing the person speaking as coming with no interpretation as a foreignor that is speaking out of turn and should be instructed to be silent.

Why is it a foreignor and not God's gift of tongues?

Because he speak to himself as well as to God. That means the speaker understands what he is saying as God does also. He is allowed to speak unto himself and to God, but not allowed to speak in church.

Otherwise, Paul would be opposing himself at the end of the chapter for saying so.

1 Corinthians 14:39 Wherefore, brethren, covet to prophesy, and forbid not to speak with tongues. 40 Let all things be done decently and in order.

So the guy in verse 28 was not speaking in tongues for him to be ordered to be silent in speaking in the church. I mean, who is Paul or anyone to tel someone to be silent if the Spirit was manifesting to speak through a person in tongues?

This also testify that tongues is not a stand alone gift as it must come with interpretation or they are to be silent in the church.

We take the way Paul talked in verse 2 about the actual God's gift of tongues.

1 Corinthians 14:2 For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.

That is Paul describing the singular gift of tongue as one that speaks not unto men as the tongue speaker does not know what he is saying but God does. Paul is not saying he is speaking to God, but that God understands what he is saying even though the tongue speaker does not.

That is different from verse 28 when the speaker speaks to himself and to God as that speaker knew what he is saying as God does also.

The idea of praying in tongues is that Paul was meaning while he is speaking in tongues as manifested by the Spirit, Paul is praying that someone else may interpret that tongue. That is the meaning in context.

1 Corinthians 14:13 Wherefore let him that speaketh in an unknown tongue pray that he may interpret. 14 For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful. 15 What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also.

So as the Holy Spirit is speaking through the gift of tongues, it is Paul's spirit that is praying that the tongue may be interpreted.

That is another telltale proof that tongues was never meant as a prayer language.

Paul realized that believers may misunderstood what he is saying about tongues and so he did a pause in this presentation of comparing the gift of tongues with the gift of prophesy as to why the gift of prophesy was the one gift to seek after over all spiritual gifts in this chapter, by telling the readers what God's gift of tongues were for.

1 Corinthians 14:20 Brethren, be not children in understanding: howbeit in malice be ye children, but in understanding be men. 21 In the law it is written, With men of other tongues and other lips will I speak unto this people; and yet for all that will they not hear me, saith the Lord.

God's gift of tongues is of other men's lips to be speaking unto the people. That is all Paul said it was for.

There is an ongoing phenomenon of believers experiencing something coming over them later on in life that causes them to supernaturally speak in tongues even though they have been believers for a while.

Some have changed their personal testimony by it and say that was when they were saved, misleading others to think they need to speak in tongues to know that they have the Holy Spirit and are thus saved.

That is not true.

Some have interpret the phenomenon as meaning that was God calling them into the ministry, but very few see that as compelling enough to seek to receive the "Spirit" again after a sign of tongues to be "officially" called into the ministry.

Regardless, that is not true either.

Tongues are not to be serving as a sign for believers. Tongues are serving as a sign ONLY to unbelievers.

1 Corinthians 14:22 Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe.

So what is that tongue that comes with no interpretation when they experience that spirit coming over them to speak thus supernaturally?

Isaiah 8:19 And when they shall say unto you, Seek unto them that have familiar spirits, and unto wizards that peep, and that mutter: should not a people seek unto their God? for the living to the dead?

That is why it is written to believers in warning them:

1 John 4:1Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world......4 Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world. 5 They are of the world: therefore speak they of the world, and the world heareth them. 6 We are of God: he that knoweth God heareth us; he that is not of God heareth not us. Hereby know we the spirit of truth, and the spirit of error.

In world's religions like Islam, occults, and cults in christianity, there is a supernatural tongue that comes with no interpretation as it is how they speak of the world and the world hears it like that.

Paul said that God's gift of tongues is of other men's lips and the reason why the gift of prophesy is better than the gift of tongues is because tongues is not a stand alone gift unless otherwise interpreted in the church. Paul said that it was unfruitful even to the tongue speaker and thus needing interpretation for which it could never serve as a prayer language.

1 Thessalonians 5:21 Prove all things; hold fast that which is good. 22 Abstain from all appearance of evil. 23 And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. 24 Faithful is he that calleth you, who also will do it.

By trusting Jesus Christ as our Good Shepherd, we are to prove all things, including tongues in testing the spirits, and to abstain from all appearances of evil requires us to shun vain & profane babblings which is nothing but a snare of the devil in cutting away our personal normal prayer time with the Bridegroom at that throne of grace.

This is Paul saying to use scripture to prove such tongues as coming with no interpretation nor understood by a foreignor as not of Him.

2 Timothy 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.16 But shun profane and vain babblings: for they will increase unto more ungodliness....24 And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient, 25 In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth; 26 And that they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him at his will.

What is the will of the devil in how it is a snare? Thinking you need babbling nonsense to talk to God in letting Him know everything.

Matthew 6:7 But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking. 8 Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him.

Look at the purpose of prayer.

John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.....13 And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. 14 If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it.

Knowing what you had prayed for and seeing the answers to your prayers is how you are ever going to give God the Father thanks for in Jesus's name.

The devil would like to steal that opportunity away from God in answering your known normal prayers by cutting inbetween you & the Bridegroom with babbling nonsense. So don't fall for it. Shun it & go before that throne of grace for help in your times of need in the hopes that God will answer your prayers so that you can give thanks when He does.

Hebrews 4:12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. 13 Neither is there any creature that is not manifest in his sight: but all things are naked and opened unto the eyes of him with whom we have to do. 14 Seeing then that we have a great high priest, that is passed into the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our profession. 15 For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin. 16 Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.

1 Timothy 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;

Ephesians 5:20Giving thanks always for all things unto God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ;

So go before that throne of grace and ask the Father in His name in the hopes that the Son will answer your prayers to give Him thankgivings for.

Reactions: ewq1938

zeke37

IMO...
May 24, 2007
✟20,694.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
How Paul was speaking back in the day is relevant for us to understand what tongues are for in 1 Corinthians 14th chapter.

Believers will read their supernatural experiences into the scripture when they should be reading the scripture as is.
hi...if I may.....3 part answer....

part 1

that goes for charismatics too.
Paul is not speaking of some never known tongue, some angelic tongue.
nope.

he's speaking of the tongues of men that already existed.

some of those tongues will be known to the audience,
and some will not be known to them

Chinese would not be known to them, but Greek would be.
and there are many dialects included in Hebrew (and Greek too) as is evident by Acts2's testimonial

there was not a church on every block.
so culturally diverse folks would assemble there....
Corinth was a multi-lingual society...without order in their church

the setting is that Corinth was not following the rules on how to teach others about the scriptures/psalms and teachings of Christ

we are all commissioned to do just that.

what they were doing would be ok if there was only one language represented in Corinth,
but there was not just one. there were many.

the scene is described for us as,
in Corinth, folks would at any time
stand and start preaching in their own native tongue
regardless of what tongue the audience understood

now, multiply that by ten.
imagine ten people all doing that at the same time...
all in their own different native tongues

that would bring nothing but confusion, mass confusion.
so in 1Cor14 Paul is admonishing them for this and teaching them how to effectively
spread the Word of God to the tongues of all men

so Paul is saying, what profit is there for you who understand Greek,
if I come and speak to you in Hebrew.
none...

i'd be speaking to God only, verse 2
ii'd be only edifying myself, verse 4
i'd be speaking to the air, verse 9

they would think i'm a barbarian, because they cannot understand my speech

infact, his main message is to preach what ever you are preaching,
with complete understanding, so they listening can understand your words and come to God
so that's gotta be done in a tongue they can understand

so, IF Paul spoke to them in a tongue that they did not understand,
then even though Paul was in the Spirit, speaking the wondrous things of God and Christ
Paul's understanding of the scriptures would be a mystery to them in attendance..

why? language barriers.

this whole chapter is a way to breach the language barriers of men,
and thus allow others to hear your message of the Good News,
and accept your words as Prophesy/Truth

God kick-started that Great Commission for us in Acts2, supernaturally
and 1Cor14 is the instructions on how we are to finish it
and bring the Word and the Good News to ALL tongues of men

we are not to limit the Word in Hebrew, or Greek only, or Latin as it was for so long.
it's for everyone, of all tongues.

so we are not to forbid the Word going out in all tongues
the Word IS allowed in Chinese etc. so don't say no to that.
it's God's plan

1 Corinthians 14:28 But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God.
when folks take verses out of context,
they will never get the point Paul was trying to make.

This is Paul saying that the person speaking is not doing so as manifested by the Holy Spirit to speak in tongues because it is not coming with interpretation.
well, not even close.

this is Paul saying, if you speak Chinese, but no one in the audience understands Chinese,
and there are no interpreters around to help you translate your message from Chinese to Greek,,
then keep silent, don't disrupt the service.

folks won't understand you, so pray silently.
you would sound confusing to them, like barbarian speech is.

Paul is giving a guideline in exposing the person speaking as coming with no interpretation as a foreignor that is speaking out of turn and should be instructed to be silent.
no example.
this IS what Paul is referring to.

don't speak Chinese to a Greek audience unless you have a gifted interpreter there to help you.
otherwise your just preaching to the God/air/yourself...
only God would hear you, and the whole point is to edify others, not God.

it's what Christian missionaries have been doing for centuries
and it's how YOU and I accepted the words of God, and thus how WE became a Christian.

how much more important is that them mumbling ecstatic utterances?
untold multiples more important

Because he speak to himself as well as to God. That means the speaker understands what he is saying as God does also. He is allowed to speak unto himself and to God, but not allowed to speak in church.
unfortunately you have another complete misunderstanding.

Paul is teaching that
a Chinese preacher, preaching in Corinth,
is not allowed to give his sermon in his native Chinese tongue,
unless there is someone there to help him translate his message into Greek.

if there is not, then he is to be silent and not confuse the congregation.

it may be hard for us to reconcile that in todays age,
but back then, as through most of history,
the Word of God WAS KEPT IN ONLY ONE LANGUAGE for long periods of time

Hebrew for a time
Greek for a time
Latin for a time

but that is not what we are supposed to do with God's word.
we are supposed to spread it to the ends of the earth, to all tongues of men.
this chapter details HOW we are to effectively do that
and Paul gives examples on both sides, the negative and the positive.

it is NEVER about charismatic tongues of today's charismatic circles.
it is NEVER about corporate vs private tongues of today's charismatics

Otherwise, Paul would be opposing himself at the end of the chapter for saying so.

1 Corinthians 14:39 Wherefore, brethren, covet to prophesy, and forbid not to speak with tongues. 40 Let all things be done decently and in order.
it's amazing to me how far down the rabbit hole this charismatic, ecstatic utterances teaching goes.

Paul is saying that we ARE to allow the word of God into ALL tongues of men.
so don't keep it in Hebrew or Greek....

let it go to China and India and everywhere else.
so DON"T forbid the Good News to get into ANY of the tongues of men
DON'T keep it in Hebrew or Greek only.
use interpreters and spread the Good News abroad.

the Good News is going to be spread to the ends of the world, and then the end shall come

all men shall have the chance at believing in Christ, no matter what tongue they speak.

So the guy in verse 28 was not speaking in tongues for him to be ordered to be silent in speaking in the church. I mean, who is Paul or anyone to tel someone to be silent if the Spirit was manifesting to speak through a person in tongues?
if what ever a person wants to say, brings confusion,
he is the right man to tell them to shut up.
we all are the right one to do that.

God MADE Paul what he became.
Paul was the leader of the whole faith according to many
so he IS the exact man to correct them, to tell them to sit down and shut up
prob excatly because he spoke most if not all tongues of men
including their tongue. he was a gifted linguist

it's not about ecstatic utterances or some godly form of prayer, or message from God

that's complete BUNK, and makes void the Word of God

Paul is saying that, if they wanna jump up in the middle of a sermon and speak in Chinese,
then that would disrupt everything that was going on...bring confusion.
no one would understand his Chinese tongue and he's just be another voice in the crowd to drown out

so, don't speak Chinese to a Greek audience,
unless you have a gifted interpreter to help you get your message across

This also testify that tongues is not a stand alone gift as it must come with interpretation or they are to be silent in the church.
tongue being interpreted, means us sharing the Word of God and Christ
from Greek to Chinese or whatever.
not some mumbo jumbo special prayer language or special message from God,
as charismatics would have us believe.

we are supposed to be "men" in understanding, and not go after fables and mistranslations
of such an easy chapter to follow

it's easy to get Paul's point, IF one follows that continuing point ALL the way through the chapter.

but many folks are doctorinally driven
and love to pick and choose verses, without even picking up the line of thought that preceded it.

that's a horrible way to build doctrine
and it has led to the complete misuse of this chapter.

Upvote 0

zeke37

IMO...
May 24, 2007
✟20,694.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
We take the way Paul talked in verse 2 about the actual God's gift of tongues.

1 Corinthians 14:2 For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.

That is Paul describing the singular gift of tongue as one that speaks not unto men as the tongue speaker does not know what he is saying but God does. Paul is not saying he is speaking to God, but that God understands what he is saying even though the tongue speaker does not.
part 2

actually,
This is Paul saying that if he came to a Greek audience,
and spoke an unknown tongue /language to them, like Hebrew was to them, then it would profit them in attendance, nothing.

if he spoke Hebrew to a Greek audience, then he'd be speaking to only God, but he was supposed to edify MEN with his words about Christ

so, even tho he's a believer, and even tho he's in the Spirit,
and even tho he's speaking wondrous things of God and or Christ,
what is in his mind (his understanding) would be a mystery to them in attendance,
because of the language barrier
Paul continues this whole line of thought all the way through the chapter.

he gives a negative and a positive way to spread your message of Christ

That is different from verse 28 when the speaker speaks to himself and to God as that speaker knew what he is saying as God does also.
because this chapter is never about charismatic tongues

the speaker in this case would only know Chinese, for example,
and since there is no Chinese interpreters in Corinth, in my example,
then he is to be silent and keep his prayers to himself, pray in his mind

he is NOT to stand up and speak in Chinese,
because no one there would get anything out of it, and only be confused.
his speech would sound like barbarian speech

he'd be only speaking to God
he'd be only preaching to the air
he'd be preaching to himself only

and the point is to edify the assembly with your Psalms/scriptures/stories

maybe a travelling Chinese preacher has a revelation about something in the Torah,
that points to Christ as Messiah
and he wants to share that with the audience
but there are ways to do it so all can understand...

The idea of praying in tongues is that Paul was meaning while he is speaking in tongues as manifested by the Spirit, Paul is praying that someone else may interpret that tongue. That is the meaning in context.
no it is not. that is YOUR meaning, but not the biblical one.
Paul does not need an interpreter at all.
he is completely gifted in that area.
he knows the tongues of men...

Paul is saying that if ANYONE comes to church to share a message,
then make sure your message can be understood by the audience

so if you need an interpreter of languages to help you accomplish that,
then use one, or keep quiet and don't interrupt/disrupt the ongoings.
1 Corinthians 14:13 Wherefore let him that speaketh in an unknown tongue pray that he may interpret. 14 For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful. 15 What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also.

So as the Holy Spirit is speaking through the gift of tongues, it is Paul's spirit that is praying that the tongue may be interpreted.

nope.
Paul is saying that if someone comes into your church
but does not speak your language/tongue, as it is unknown to the audience
that he should pray that an interpreter is present to help him get the message across

so if he speaks Chinese, he is to pray that a Chinese believer is present
that also understands Greek, so he can help

Paul uses himself as the examples and teaches that, by example,
if Paul came to Corinth and spoke Hebrew to them,
even tho Paul is in the Spirit, and trying to work for God
what he has to say will not bear fruit, because of the language barrier

the audience just won't get it, unless it is translated for them into their tongue

so, what is he to do?
is he to speak to them in an unknown tongue, that is not interpreted?

no.

he is to share his message while being in the Spirit, in a way so the audience can understand it.
and if he speaks an "unknown" tongue to them (foreign) then he is to use an interpreter.
if none is present, then he is to shut up

That is another telltale proof that tongues was never meant as a prayer language.
tongues=languages of men...simple.

Paul realized that believers may misunderstood what he is saying about tongues and so he did a pause in this presentation of comparing the gift of tongues with the gift of prophesy as to why the gift of prophesy was the one gift to seek after over all spiritual gifts in this chapter, by telling the readers what God's gift of tongues were for.
imo you misunderstand the word Prophesy here too.
it is not always some message that God gives a single person.
sure that can and did happen...
but Paul is NOT addressing that here at all.

Paul is addressing the Prophesy that is ALREADY FOUND in the scriptures
not a new thing
the Psalms that speak of Christ
the works in the prophets that speak of Christ
the first hand accounts of Jesus' life showing that he fulfilled prophesy

that is what it means.

and if someone is listening that is NEW,
well, if they can just understand the tongue of the one speaking,
then those things that the speaker speaks on can be believed...
the one listening can take those words of Christ found in the Psalms/Prophets and Torah
as truth/prophesy that has already come to be fulfilled,
and thus they can come to God....

you see, the words we speak of Christ, should be judged of all, not one or two
ALL must agree, and that can only be done if the speakers words are completely understood BY ALL....

I cannot believe a message from someone, that hears goobly gock

just because someone claims comes an explanation, I can not know for a fact that he is being truthful

1 Corinthians 14:20 Brethren, be not children in understanding: howbeit in malice be ye children, but in understanding be men. 21 In the law it is written, With men of other tongues and other lips will I speak unto this people; and yet for all that will they not hear me, saith the Lord.

God's gift of tongues is of other men's lips to be speaking unto the people. That is all Paul said it was for.
Paul is simply saying that the Word of God will be spoken by folks of all tongues, all nations.
it was prophesied and has come to pass just as so.
we have the word of God in English today,
and 100's of other tongues that did not even exist back in Paul's day

that is how I became a Christian....by someone following 1Cor14 properly

praise Him that some folks do follow this chapter properly,
so we have that Word of God in all tongues

There is an ongoing phenomenon of believers experiencing something coming over them later on in life that causes them to supernaturally speak in tongues even though they have been believers for a while.
complete nonesense

Some have changed their personal testimony by it and say that was when they were saved, misleading others to think they need to speak in tongues to know that they have the Holy Spirit and are thus saved.
more nonesense
That is not true.

Some have interpret the phenomenon as meaning that was God calling them into the ministry, but very few see that as compelling enough to seek to receive the "Spirit" again after a sign of tongues to be "officially" called into the ministry.
goobly gock ecstatic utterances are not a gift of God,
and certainly not the tongues of 1Cor14

1Cor14's tongues means languages of men,
either unknown to the speaker/audience (like Chinese), or known (like Greek)

Regardless, that is not true either.

Tongues are not to be serving as a sign for believers. Tongues are serving as a sign ONLY to unbelievers.
which means that we are to allow the spread of the Word of Christ, to all tongues of men,
so that those words can be a sign for them.

ie, don't keep it in Hebrew or Greek or Latin only.
God is for the gentiles too....and all their tongues.

1 Corinthians 14:22 Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe.
simple. tongues are not a sign for believers.
but when that message spoken in another tongue, is translated into a language that the audience can understand,
then his words can become prophesy to those listening, as it is to the one speaking

Upvote 0

zeke37

IMO...
May 24, 2007
✟20,694.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
So what is that tongue that comes with no interpretation when they experience that spirit coming over them to speak thus supernaturally?

Isaiah 8:19 And when they shall say unto you, Seek unto them that have familiar spirits, and unto wizards that peep, and that mutter: should not a people seek unto their God? for the living to the dead?
part 3

any ecstatic utterances called tongues today in charismatic circles, is a farce.
a complete farce.

That is why it is written to believers in warning them:

1 John 4:1Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world......4 Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world. 5 They are of the world: therefore speak they of the world, and the world heareth them. 6 We are of God: he that knoweth God heareth us; he that is not of God heareth not us. Hereby know we the spirit of truth, and the spirit of error.
that has nothing to do with ecstatic utterances that many THINK are the tongues of 1Cor14
but Christ does say something about tongues.
15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.
16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.
17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;
18 They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.
19 So then after the Lord had spoken unto them, he was received up into heaven, and sat on the right hand of God.
20 And they went forth, and preached every where, the Lord working with them, and confirming the word with signs following. Amen.
In world's religions like Islam, occults, and cults in christianity, there is a supernatural tongue that comes with no interpretation as it is how they speak of the world and the world hears it like that.
it's not supernatural at all.
it's brought on by their own minds as it is in charismatic circles
this is nothing new. as you said, most other religions have this "chanting" too.
it's a shame that we have it in Christianity

I leave the door open for that kind of ecstatic unspeech to be demonic activity,
as that is surely ONE possibility

after all, before recently, we used to all pray to God in our own tongue,
but this farce has destroyed prayer time, within that circle of Christianity
taking it away and replacing it with incoherent babbyl.

but it can come from ones own deluded mind too, convincing themselves that their "experience" is godly

and folks can fake it too, keeping up with the Jones'...even knowing that they are faking it.
that happens a lot.

Paul said that God's gift of tongues is of other men's lips and the reason why the gift of prophesy is better than the gift of tongues is because tongues is not a stand alone gift unless otherwise interpreted in the church. Paul said that it was unfruitful even to the tongue speaker and thus needing interpretation for which it could never serve as a prayer language.
your understanding is flawed
the chapter is NEVER EVEN ONE TIME about charismatic tongues of today
it is ALL about how to break language barriers by using other men to help

1 Thessalonians 5:21 Prove all things; hold fast that which is good. 22 Abstain from all appearance of evil. 23 And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. 24 Faithful is he that calleth you, who also will do it.
cool,
so that means that we are to throw away the charismatic churches interpretation of tongues.

By trusting Jesus Christ as our Good Shepherd, we are to prove all things, including tongues in testing the spirits, and to abstain from all appearances of evil requires us to shun vain & profane babblings which is nothing but a snare of the devil in cutting away our personal normal prayer time with the Bridegroom at that throne of grace.
partly right.
but you still give credence to that form of "tongue" that the charismatics use today
and it is just not about that at all.
that is a fairy-tale, a fantasy, a dogma built on straw

the real message was the Great Commission,
and the continuance of that which God started at Pentecost
breaking language/tongue barriers so the Gospel can go forth to ALL men

it is one of the most important messages we have, yet so many turn it into this farce

This is Paul saying to use scripture to prove such tongues as coming with no interpretation nor understood by a foreignor as not of Him.
lol...complete farce if you think it is about ecstatic utterances

2 Timothy 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.16 But shun profane and vain babblings: for they will increase unto more ungodliness....24 And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient, 25 In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth; 26 And that they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him at his will.
it is not speaking of the tongues of today's charismatic circles.
sorry.

What is the will of the devil in how it is a snare? Thinking you need babbling nonsense to talk to God in letting Him know everything.
well, we seem to be on half the same page here.
better than nothing I guess

babbling nonsense can NEVER BE INTERPRETED as a message from God
that whole line of thought is bogus.

God knows English fine.
He even knows my phone number

if He wanted to give me a message, it would not be asked in babble or given in babble

redonkulous

Matthew 6:7 But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking. 8 Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him.

Look at the purpose of prayer.

John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.....13 And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. 14 If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it.
Christ taught us how to pray, and it is the opposite of what the babbling tongue talkers of today do.

Knowing what you had prayed for and seeing the answers to your prayers is how you are ever going to give God the Father thanks for in Jesus's name.
exactly

The devil would like to steal that opportunity away from God in answering your known normal prayers by cutting inbetween you & the Bridegroom with babbling nonsense. So don't fall for it. Shun it & go before that throne of grace for help in your times of need in the hopes that God will answer your prayers so that you can give thanks when He does.
any babbling is nonsense.
if you have somehow worked that into your beliefs, it is a shame
I mean, there is no allowance for it, even if someone else claims an interpretation of your babbling

it's a farce

Hebrews 4:12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. 13 Neither is there any creature that is not manifest in his sight: but all things are naked and opened unto the eyes of him with whom we have to do. 14 Seeing then that we have a great high priest, that is passed into the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our profession. 15 For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin. 16 Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.

1 Timothy 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;

Ephesians 5:20Giving thanks always for all things unto God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ;

So go before that throne of grace and ask the Father in His name in the hopes that the Son will answer your prayers to give Him thankgivings for.
do so in your own tongue, so both you and the Lord can know what you are thinking.

Upvote 0

Tellastory

Mar 10, 2013
In God's Hand
✟16,186.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

hi

if I may.....3 part answer....

I thank you for your due diligence in debunking what is going on in the charsimatic and pentecostal circles today, but I will address any points that defer from what I believe the Lord wants me to see what Paul is writing about.

This is Paul saying that the person speaking is not doing so as manifested by the Holy Spirit to speak in tongues because it is not coming with interpretation.

well, not even close.

this is Paul saying, if you speak Chinese, but no one in the audience understands Chinese,
and there are no interpreters around to help you translate your message from Chinese to Greek,,
then keep silent, don't disrupt the service.

folks won't understand you, so pray silently.
you would sound confusing to them, like barbarian speech is.

So the guy in verse 28 was not speaking in tongues for him to be ordered to be silent in speaking in the church. I mean, who is Paul or anyone to tell someone to be silent if the Spirit was manifesting to speak through a person in tongues?

if what ever a person wants to say, brings confusion,
he is the right man to tell them to shut up.

we all are the right one to do that.

Between your two answers as quoted:

The need for pause in your presentation is that:

They both can't be right.

It is either they do not understand what is being said and thus no interpretor is why the tongue speaker is made to be silent or they understood what was being said from which there would be no need for interpretation and thus knowingly speaking error for which silence would hardly be the response to do but correction, rebuke, and if no repentance, excommunicated in the hopes that they will repent and rejoin the fellowship being of the same mind in speaking the same thing in truth.

1 Corinthians 1:9 God is faithful, by whom ye were called unto the fellowship of his Son Jesus Christ our Lord. 10 Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment.

Philippians 3:15 Let us therefore, as many as be perfect, be thus minded: and if in any thing ye be otherwise minded, God shall reveal even this unto you. 16 Nevertheless, whereto we have already attained, let us walk by the same rule, let us mind the same thing. 17 Brethren, be followers together of me, and mark them which walk so as ye have us for an ensample.

2 Thessalonians 3:1Finally, brethren, pray for us, that the word of the Lord may have free course, and be glorified, even as it is with you: 2 And that we may be delivered from unreasonable and wicked men: for all men have not faith. 3 But the Lord is faithful, who shall stablish you, and keep you from evil. 4 And we have confidence in the Lord touching you, that ye both do and will do the things which we command you. 5 And the Lord direct your hearts into the love of God, and into the patient waiting for Christ. 6 Now we command you, brethren, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye withdraw yourselves from every brother that walketh disorderly, and not after the tradition which he received of us. 7 For yourselves know how ye ought to follow us: for we behaved not ourselves disorderly among you;....14 And if any man obey not our word by this epistle, note that man, and have no company with him, that he may be ashamed. 15 Yet count him not as an enemy, but admonish him as a brother.

So that is why I am sticking to what I have been led to see and that is Paul is taking about the gift of tongues in regards to verse 28 and yet this person speaking came with no interpretation and thus it was not the gift of tongues because he speaks unto himself meaning he understood what he was saying as God does as he speaks unto God.

The idea to be commanded to be silent in praying as if he was speaking in that "mode" is not what Paul was referring to at all nor about praying in relations to speaking in tongues.

Verse 13 sets the precedent for understanding the praying in tongues aspect of what Paul was meaning.

Paul was not praying in tongues but while the Holy Spirit was manifesting tongues through him to speak unto the people in the assembly, Paul was praying that someone may interpret. Paul was never praying in using tongues as a form of praying but praying that someone may interpret while speaking in tongues.

Thus God's gift of tongues should come with interpretation in the assembly unless otherwise understood by a visiting foreignor and if it does not, it means that is not God's gift of tonges that is being manifested, but a foreignor speaking out of turn & out of place that needs to be instructed to be silent.

And those think that they can use tongues as a prayer language because it comes with no interpretation as it does manifest when they are alone and at various times of the day, that's when believers should test the spirits and not believe every one as being of God because there are spirits in the world that brings supernatural tongues that is babbling nonsense in world's religions, occults, & cults in christianity from which the instruction to shun vain & profane babblings is to be heeded to avoid increasing with ungodliness.

2 Timothy 2:16 But shun profane and vain babblings: for they will increase unto more ungodliness....24 And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient, 25 In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth; 26 And that they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him at his will.

God wants us to pray to Him so that when the Son answers our known prayers, God the Father is glorified in the Son and given thanksgiving in Jesus' name. Only teh devil will try to get inbetween us and the Son in leading us away from relating to the Bridegroom personally as a chaste bride should.

John 14:13 And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. 14 If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it.

So while the door to the Marriage Supper is still open, errant believers can go before that throne of grace for help, trusting Jesus Christ as their Good Shepherd to deliver them from all evil even if they are blind to it by helping them to see how He wants them to relate to Him personally as standing apart from the way the world runs and speak and hear by the spirit of error.

1 John 4:5 They are of the world: therefore speak they of the world, and the world heareth them. 6 We are of God: he that knoweth God heareth us; he that is not of God heareth not us. Hereby know we the spirit of truth, and the spirit of error.

1 John 4: 4 Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world.

1 John 5:1Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: and every one that loveth him that begat loveth him also that is begotten of him....4 For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith. 5 Who is he that overcometh the world, but he that believeth that Jesus is the Son of God?

Psalm 19:12 Who can understand his errors? cleanse thou me from secret faults. 13 Keep back thy servant also from presumptuous sins; let them not have dominion over me: then shall I be upright, and I shall be innocent from the great transgression. 14 Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O Lord, my strength, and my redeemer.

Keeping our eyes on the Bridegroom because He is coming soon is the call for believers to do in worship, in fellowship, and in prayer if they wish to avoid seducing spirist that try to be a thief in coming inbetween us & Him. And even I needed the help of my Good Shepherd to do even that of Whom I give thanks to the Father in Jesus' name. Amen.

Upvote 0
eph 2:20 And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner [stone];

since the church apostle and prophets where the foundation does a builder continue to keep laying foundation once the walls and floors are being built?

1 cor 13:8 Charity never faileth: but whether [there be] prophecies, they shall fail; whether [there be] tongues, they shall cease; whether [there be] knowledge, it shall vanish away.

1 cor 13:9 For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.

1 cor 13:10 But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.

Perfect is come ... some say this is Christ [always masculine] some say its the bible [always feminine] this word is a neuter thing and with in the context it goes back to prophecy .... when is the perfect is come happen ?

Rev 22:18 For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:

Question is why 1 cor 14:39 Wherefore, brethren, covet to prophesy, and forbid not to speak with tongues

do not forget next verse

1 cor 14:40 Let all things be done decently and in order.

Even though God does away with tongues He will allow them to start up again during the Great Tribulation when the 144,000 maile virgin jews use tongues to spread the gospel of his kingdom to every nation... matt 24:14 which is one thing the church can not do

Upvote 0

Biblicist

Full Gospel believer
Mar 27, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
✟51,094.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married

This is Paul saying that the person speaking is not doing so as manifested by the Holy Spirit to speak in tongues because it is not coming with interpretation. Paul is giving a guideline in exposing the person speaking as coming with no interpretation as a foreignor that is speaking out of turn and should be instructed to be silent.

The idea that our ability to pray in the Spirit supposedly relates to a normal human tongue that someone already knows is certainly a long stretch of the imagination. All Paul is saying is that when we pray in the Spirit (tongues) within the congregational setting that each tongue must be accompanied by a translation. If for some reason that a person offers a word of praise to the Lord in tongues and there is no subsequent interpretation then no further tongues may be provided. Ideally, if someone regularly prays in the Spirit during a congregational meeting then we would expect these same people to be able to provide an interpretation. If someone operates within the function of tongues, then they would not only have to be able to pray in an angelic tongue but they must also be able to demonstrate that they can interpret.

If someone finds themselves in a setting where three words of praise in tongues has been offered or if for some reason no-one else provides an interpretation, then the speaker is to simply praise the Father quietly to themselves so that others are not disturbed. This could mean that we either speak/sing so quietly that others are not aware (during times of worship) or that we simply praise the Lord without even speaking audibly.

Unlike prophecy, which is a message or instruction from the Spirit to either an individual or maybe a congregation, tongues are always directed toward the Father and never to man so any interpretation that appears to be directed toward man can quickly be dismissed as being an errant interpretation.

Upvote 0

Biblicist

Full Gospel believer
Mar 27, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
✟51,094.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
where is the translation in acts 2 the first time the gift of tongue are used?
Unlike that of the congregational setting where Paul stipulates that each occurrence of tongues is to be accompanied by a translation, as the tongues of the 120 on the Day of Pentecost were in known languages then there was no need for interpretation. I have no doubt that the rather unsophisticated Galileans would have benefited with some translations, these rustic Disciples would probably not have realised that they were speaking in the languages of the diaspora Jews until the nearby Jews told them.

An interesting aspect of this unique occurrence of tongues, is that 120 were not trying to evangelise the nearby Jews at this time but were simply expressing their endless joy of being filled with the Holy Spirit within a corporate setting. This also goes against Paul’s later admonition that tongues are only to be used if they benefit the others within the congregation (thus the requirement for interpretation); the words of praise that each of the 120 uttered did not benefit the other believers and that even the unregenerate Jews were left a bit bewildered where they had to ask the Apostles what was going on – tongues rarely if ever serve any benefit to the unregenerate, this type of Holy Spirit activity only serves to confuse the unsaved.

As the 120 were praying in the Spirit all at the same time, which Paul also later forbids, I’m not sure that interpretations would have been effective as I would wonder how upwards of maybe 50 languages could have been effectively conveyed and all at once – the mind boggles.

Paul is adamant in 1 Co 14:2-5 that no man can ever understand the content (language) of a message/prayer that is given by the Spirit as they are always directed toward the Father, which was the case on the Day of Pentecost as the Spirit did not address the diaspora Jews but simply provided words of praise to the Father and declarations of Gods wonders – which is the normal application of tongues within the congregational setting. We don’t know what Jesus told them regarding tongues before he ascended and as it is up to the Holy Spirit if someone speaks in a known human language or in an angelic dialect then this unique method where tongues was employed on the Day of Pentecost is technically along the same lines as that of congregational tongues; though I would never expect to see the Holy Spirit speaking in a known human language in a congregational setting.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Biblicist

Full Gospel believer
Mar 27, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
✟51,094.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I think you making it complicated.... in the 1 cor 3:1-3 these believers were carnal thus they could not understand the spiritual ... vs 2
You’re probably right, as I tend to specialise with 1Co 12, 13 & 14 I will probably reply to posts on these chapters in ways many forum members are not all that used to – but again, it is a thread about hermeneutics and as such we should be ideally seeing some fairly indepth replies, such is the nature of Biblical hermeneutics.

in the 1 cor 3:1-3 these believers were carnal thus they could not understand the spiritual ... vs 2 but by God power which the gift are from.... god could do this!
I’m not all that sure how your reply connects the OP with post #8 but I have little doubt that Pauls admonition to the Corinthians would probably apply to many (if not most) of todays congregations. Even though they were fraught with “strife and jealousies” they did at least have a pretty good understanding of the 9 Manifestations of the Spirit and it seems with the 8 Congregational offices/functions. Where they were going astray was with their operation of tongues in that they were seemingly allowing everyone (or many) to speak/sing in the Spirit all at once. It does appear that they were maybe allowing a number of people to prophesy at once – something that the Scriptures strictly forbids.

Even though Paul praises them for their desire to see the Manifestations of the Spirit within their meetings, he was certainly concerned with how they were on the one hand rejoicing in the power of the Spirit but on the other hand they were treating individuals unfairly, generally along social status and financial lines.

Its hard to deny that the Corinthians had their shortcomings but I can easily relate to Corinth as Pauls admonitions and corrections to Corinth in my view can certainly be applied across much of todays Church.

Upvote 0
where is the translation in acts 2 the first time the gift of tongue are used?

acts 2:6 Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language.

acts 2:8 And how hear we every man in our own [dialect] tongue, wherein we were born?

where where they born? acts 2:9-10 wow

Upvote 0

Tellastory

Mar 10, 2013
In God's Hand
✟16,186.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The idea that our ability to pray in the Spirit supposedly relates to a normal human tongue that someone already knows is certainly a long stretch of the imagination. All Paul is saying is that when we pray in the Spirit (tongues) within the congregational setting that each tongue must be accompanied by a translation. If for some reason that a person offers a word of praise to the Lord in tongues and there is no subsequent interpretation then no further tongues may be provided. Ideally, if someone regularly prays in the Spirit during a congregational meeting then we would expect these same people to be able to provide an interpretation. If someone operates within the function of tongues, then they would not only have to be able to pray in an angelic tongue but they must also be able to demonstrate that they can interpret.

Just for clarity sake because some believers do believe that one is praying by way of the Spirit when Paul is deferring from his own spirit praying as opposed to the Holy Spirit praying which the Holy Spirit cannot pray since He can only speak what He hears and thus God's gift of tongues are only of other men's lips to speak unto the people.

1 Corinthians 14:12 Even so ye, forasmuch as ye are zealous of spiritual gifts, seek that ye may excel to the edifying of the church. 13 Wherefore let him that speaketh in an unknown tongue pray that he may interpret. 14 For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful. 15 What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also.

Romans 8:26-27 in the KJV has teh right tranlsations in that the Son of God that searches our hearts in verse 27 is the One that knows the mind of the Spirit which is how the intercessions of the Spirit's are made known seeing how they are unspeakable and cannot be uttered by the Holy Spirit.

There may be some Bible versions that change out the small s of spirit to mean the Holy Spirit in those verses when it is not referring to Him at all.

The tongues are being manifested by the Holy Spirit and Paul, as a tongue speaker, is praying that someone may interpret the tongue he is saying.

That means he is not praying in tongues in the way that readers today are reading it, but he is praying that someone may interpret while he is speaking in tongues which the tongue is being manifested by the Holy Spirit in Paul.

People that pray to the Holy Spirit do so as one asking the Holy Spirit to come and fall on them and therefore hardly affiliated with such verses or phrases of praying "in" the Spirit when they give the false witness by appearance that they praying are "out" of the Spirit when praying to the Spirit to come & fill them again.

So clarity is needed about the Biblical use of praying in the Spirit as referred to here:

Ephesians 6:18Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints;

Which is not the same thing in 1 Corinthians 14th chapter.

Ephesians 6:18 is calling believers to pray: not the Holy Spirit to pray.

Nowhere does scripture validate praying TO the Holy Spirit or in such a manner that one is out of the Spirit to pray to the Spirit to come & fill them again. Scripture warns against such practise.

2 Corinthians 11:3 But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ. 4 For if he that cometh preacheth another Jesus, whom we have not preached, or if ye receive another spirit, which ye have not received, or another gospel, which ye have not accepted, ye might well bear with him.

To preach another filling is to preach another Spirit or another Jesus to receive.

John 6:35 And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst.

I believe Jesus words that after coming to & believing in Him, I will never seek another filling of the Spirit again because being filled testifies to our having been saved and with Jesus Christ in us, we have eternal life.

Matthew 9:17 Neither do men put new wine into old bottles: else the bottles break, and the wine runneth out, and the bottles perish: but they put new wine into new bottles, and both are preserved.

Upvote 0
Even though Paul praises them for their desire to see the Manifestations of the Spirit within their meetings, he was certainly concerned with how they were on the one hand rejoicing in the power of the Spirit but on the other hand they were treating individuals unfairly, generally along social status and financial lines.

Its hard to deny that the Corinthians had their shortcomings but I can easily relate to Corinth as Pauls admonitions and corrections to Corinth in my view can certainly be applied across much of todays Church.

How does one be spiritual when they are carnal? 1 cor 3:1-3.... show forth work of the flesh

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
1 cor 14:19 Yet in the church I had rather speak five words with my understanding, that by my voice I might teach others also, than ten thousand words in an unknown tongue.

1 cor 14:22 Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe.

are there Jews in your church? 1 cor 1:22

Upvote 0

Biblicist

Full Gospel believer
Mar 27, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
✟51,094.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Just for clarity sake because some believers do believe that one is praying by way of the Spirit when Paul is deferring from his own spirit praying as opposed to the Holy Spirit praying which the Holy Spirit cannot pray since He can only speak what He hears and thus God's gift of tongues are only of other men's lips to speak unto the people.
This is a rather late reply to your post but I decided to have a bit of a break from the forum so it seems that I missed this particular post, otherwise I would have quickly replied.

One of the joys (or frustrations) with reading Pauls writings is that on the surface he does not seem to be all that clear as to who or what he is referring to when he employs spirit. Is he referring to the Holy Spirit, the supposed human spirit or is he employing pneumatos to refer to our countenance, outlook or mode of speech?

For those who hold to the Trichotomous understanding of the makeup of man, then they will in all probability see that Paul is at times referring to the human spirit. For those who hold to the Dichotomist position where we see man as being comprised of a body and soul then this can be problematic; though someone who holds to the two-fold makeup of man should acknowledge that the Christian is comprised of body + soul & the Holy Spirit, though they may see the union of the Holy Spirit and the soul as being maybe one.

As I am a dichotomist or more properly a functional-dichotomist, I will naturally reject that idea that Paul is ever speaking about a supposed human-spirit but I recognise that a trichotomist can easily see that Paul is doing this; so depending on where someone stands on the nature of man then this will automatically raise the first of an number of barriers when it comes to 1 Cor 14:14-17.

Gordon D. Fee addressed this issue 27 years in his book The First Epistle to the Corinthians, pgs. 669-671 where he suggested that we view Paul’s use of spirit as “my S/Spirit prays”.
“As suggested, in the present context the difficult wording “my spirit prays” seems to mean something like “my S/Spirit prays”. On the one hand, both the possessive “my” and the contrast with “my mind” indicate that he is here referring to his own “spirit” at prayer. On the other hand, there can be little question, on the basis of the combined evidence of 12:7-11 and 14:2 and 16, that Paul understood speaking in tongues to be an activity of the Spirit in one’s life; it is prayer and praise directed toward God in the language of Spirit-inspiration. The most viable solution to this ambiguity is that by the language “my spirit prays” Paul means his own spirit is praying as the Holy Spirit gives the utterance. Hence, “my S/spirit prays”. Page 670​

I’m not sure if it was Fee or another commentator who suggested that we should see Paul’s use of ‘spirit’ in this particular context as being “the Spirit of me” or “the Holy Spirit who resides within me” which I think is a good solution.

Anthony Thiselton, The First Epistle to the Corinthians (2001), pgs. 1110-1111 suggests that we employ “my innermost spiritual being”.

David E. Garland, 1 Corinthians (2003) pg.639-640
“I am inclined to think that in the context “my spirit” refers instead to Paul’s “innermost deepest depths” (cf. 1 Cor. 16:18; 2 Cor. 2:13; R). “My spirit” parallels “my mind,” which indicates that he is thinking in anthropological terms explains Paul’s reasoning. “The spirit is the faculty by which one is in communion with the deity. The mind is an organ of thought that allows for ordinary communication among human beings. The spirit may be in prayerful communion with God without the reason formulating the thoughts and feelings into comprehensible language”.​

First Corinthians is a wonderful book but it probably demands that whenever aspects of this book are discussed that we may need to spend a fair amount of time discovering how we each understand Paul's terminology.

Upvote 0

Juelrei

May 13, 2015
✟15,557.00
Paul said, I would that ye all spoke in tongues.

Does that mean then, that he wants everyone to be speaking in different foreign languages so that no one could understand anyone and it would be even more of a confusion than if there were a few there who spoke in the supernatural unknown tongues of no known human language that Paul boldly stated that he spoke in?

Oh, excuse me, this thread is from 2013 or earlier.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Job8

Dec 1, 2014
✟21,583.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

These two verses should give us the clearest understanding of why 1 Corinthians chapter 14 is in the Bible.

1. The church at Corinth was ABUSING the spiritual gift of speaking supernaturally in foreign languages. (It is always glossais or languages that Paul is speaking about). Hence the injunction to let all things be done decently and in order.

2. This chapter (not chapters 12 and 13) was written specifically to CORRECT THE ABUSES. That is from verses 2-40.

3. The time of writing was somewhere near 57 AD. At that time the complete written New Testament was not in the churches. Therefore the supernatural gifts of prophecy (direct revelations from God), tongues (also direct revelations from God see Acts 2:11) and knowledge (direct revelations from God) were being exercised in the churches.

4. The Holy Spirit (through Paul) revealed that the time would come when THE NT WOULD BE COMPLETE ("that which is perfect" = that which is complete -- 1 Cor 13: 8-10) therefore prophesies, tongues, and knowledge would cease. That is both logical and spiritual.

5. However, at the time of writing, it was necessary to say "covet to prophesy, and forbid not to speak in tongues". That Scripture is constantly referred to by Pentecostals/Charismatics today as their authorization to do what they do. But is really applied to the church at Corinth, and until the apostolic period was finished (90-100 AD).

6. Now that the apostles and prophets are what we have in Scripture (2 Peter 1:15-21; 3:15,16) the ministry gifts are evangelists, pastors, and teachers. These are necessary to ensure that babes in Christ attain spiritual maturity.

7. The sad fact is that Bible Truth is not being properly, diligently and rigorously taught to Christians, and many are being "carried about with every wind of doctrine". Evangelists are frequently not preaching the true Gospel, pastors are frequently neglecting to actually "shepherd" their flocks, and teachers are frequently teaching the doctrines of men. We live in the time when "some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits and doctrines of devils" (1 Tim 4:1).

Upvote 0