Tomkins latest shenanigans - vitellogenin

lifepsyop

Jan 23, 2014
✟57,063.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You made the claim that automobiles fall into a nested hierarchy. That has been thoroughly refuted.

Not at all.

You get vastly different trees when using different features.

What's your point? As I've already explained, you can get vastly different Evolutionary trees by characterizing Birds' morphological similarities to Theropods as homologous or convergent. Neither tree "violates the nested hierarchy of common descent" . Common Descent accommodates multiple conflicting hierarchies. I know you don't like it, but it doesn't change the fact.

Those aren't morphological characteristics. When you create a tree based on middle ear bones you get the same tree as when you create a tree based on fur, mammary glands, feathers, flow through lungs, and tons of other features. You keep getting the same tree with morphological characteristics with life. Not so with automobiles.

Not true at all. When you run into problematic morphological characters that threaten a favored tree, evolutionists can simply claim those characters are convergent.

One small example, certain morphological characteristics place Megabats closer to Primates than to Microbats.

"Also, megabats (not microbats) and flying lemurs share features such as peculiar primate-like retinal projections to the superior colliculus."
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC122208/

(These morphological similarities actually caused evolutionists in the 80's and 90's to suggest that Bat wings evolved twice in separate lineages.)

This would be like you discounting an automobile hierarchy because of mismatched radio models.

If we take all of the automobiles on your cladogram and organize them based on having a V6, V8, or inline 4 engine, we get a completely different tree. It isn't just a few changes at closely related nodes. We have a complete re-organization of the tree. We have pickups right next to cars and motorcycles where they were distantly related on your previous cladogram.

So, the engine cylinder number can be labeled as a convergent trait. What's the problem?

If we organize based on being a Ford or Chevy, we have yet another vastly different tree.

That would be expected with separate designers.

Which engines and which transmissions? If it has a V6, will it be strongly tied to an automatic or manual transmission? If it has a Ford engine, will it be tied to diesel and diesel only? If it is a diesel, will it be tied to a 4 speed or 6 speed transmission? Or all of these traits completely mixed together in no discernible pattern?

Yet like I said, all of those arrangements can be nested in a Fuel Delivery, Engine, and Transmission group. Variations can be further nested within that group.

The number of bones in the middle ear is completely unrelated to the need for fur, yet we find three middle ear bones tied to fur throughout life. We don't find anything like that in automobiles.

Questionable use of the word "need". Not sure exactly what you mean. Volvo cars don't need cushioned seats to function as cars, yet I'm willing to bet cushioned seats are tied to the history of Volvo car production.

Why would species with fur have more similar cytochrome c alleles than species without fur? How do you explain that?

If cytochrome c is unrelated to fitness of species with fur, then why would it be conserved in species with fur?

Mode of locomotion is not a morphological characteristic. If you want to make that comparison, then you need to compare the limbs involved in flight, the pattern and shape of the bones.

Okay, fine, the morphological pattern of limbs is unrelated to the presence of genes involved in echolocation.

"Strong and significant support for convergence among bats and the bottlenose dolphin was seen in numerous genes linked to hearing or deafness, consistent with an involvement in echolocation. Unexpectedly, we also found convergence in many genes linked to vision..."
http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v502/n7470/full/nature12511.html

Again, this is not a problem for Evolution. You just say convergence to the rescue and your favored hierarchy is preserved. Likewise we can take conflicting automobile traits and just say they're convergent.

And when you do so, you get an entirely different tree than the one you already gave us.

That's fine, I'm not married to that example. It only examines a handful of traits. You just asked for any example of a design hierarchy so I gave you one. That example also involves many different designers.

You have completely failed to show that automobiles fall into a nested hierarchy. In fact, you have proven that they don't.

I think you mean to say that automobiles fail to fall into a single "objective nested hierarchy". That's okay, Evolution fails that test as well.

Upvote 0

Loudmouth

Contributor
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
✟98,005.00
Faith
Agnostic
Not at all.

Yes it has, and thoroughly. You can't produce the same tree with other morphological characteristics found in automobiles. Instead, you get wildly divergent trees.

What's your point? As I've already explained, you can get vastly different Evolutionary trees by characterizing Birds' morphological similarities to Theropods as homologous or convergent.

You said it, but it isn't true. In order to get anything close to what we are seeing with automobiles, you would need to have trees where an ostrich is in the same genus as squid instead of with other birds. At best, you see small changes in closely related nodes with life. Nothing like the massive divergences seen in automobiles.

Neither tree "violates the nested hierarchy of common descent" .

Then you don't know what a nested hierarchy is.

Common Descent accommodates multiple conflicting hierarchies.

It only accommodates small changes at closely related nodes. What you have with automobiles is vastly different trees. It isn't even comparable.

[qutoeI know you don't like it, but it doesn't change the fact.[/quote]

What I don't like is your inability to tell the truth.

Not true at all. When you run into problematic morphological characters that threaten a favored tree, evolutionists can simply claim those characters are convergent.

One small example, certain morphological characteristics place Megabats closer to Primates than to Microbats.

"Also, megabats (not microbats) and flying lemurs share features such as peculiar primate-like retinal projections to the superior colliculus."
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC122208/

Retinal projections? That's it? You have to focus on one tiny thing in a tiny organ?

With automobiles, I am talking about major systems. I am talking about the engines and transmissions. In comparison, it would be like me commenting on the size of the knurls on the radio dial. The fact that you have to go to something so obscure that proves just how hearty the nested hierarchy really is.

This would be like you discounting an automobile hierarchy because of mismatched radio models.

Not even close.

So, the engine cylinder number can be labeled as a convergent trait. What's the problem?

It can't be labeled as convergent. Nice try.

That would be expected with separate designers.

And now you find excuses for automobiles not producing a nested hierarchy, even though you previously said that they did fall into a nested hierarchy.

Yet like I said, all of those arrangements can be nested in a Fuel Delivery, Engine, and Transmission group.

No, they can't. Notice that you haven't produced a cladogram for these features, and shown how it matches your previous cladogram.

Questionable use of the word "need". Not sure exactly what you mean. Volvo cars don't need cushioned seats to function as cars, yet I'm willing to bet cushioned seats are tied to the history of Volvo car production.

Please try to address what I write.

If cytochrome c is unrelated to fitness of species with fur, then why would it be conserved in species with fur?
You really need to learn to read my posts more closely. This is what I actually said.

"Why would species with fur have more similar cytochrome c alleles than species without fur? How do you explain that?"

Where did I say that it was unrelated to fitness? The question is simple. Why do animals with fur have more similar cytochrome c genes as measured by DNA sequence? What in the world does the sequence of cytochrome c genes have to do with fur?

Okay, fine, the morphological pattern of limbs is unrelated to the presence of genes involved in echolocation.

Echolocation is not a morphological character or DNA sequence.

"Strong and significant support for convergence among bats and the bottlenose dolphin was seen in numerous genes linked to hearing or deafness, consistent with an involvement in echolocation. Unexpectedly, we also found convergence in many genes linked to vision..."

That is only at the level of the protein sequence.

"Systematic analyses of convergent sequence evolution in 805,053 amino acids within 2,326 orthologous coding gene sequences compared across 22 mammals (including four newly sequenced bat genomes) revealed signatures consistent with convergence in nearly 200 loci."

You need to show analyses of the DNA sequence in order for it to be cogent to the conversation. You inherit DNA sequences, not protein sequences. Time and again, I have stressed that it is the DNA sequence that matters.

That's fine, I'm not married to that example. It only examines a handful of traits. You just asked for any example of a design hierarchy so I gave you one. That example also involves many different designers.

I asked you to show that automobiles fall into a nested hierarchy. They obviously don't.

I think you mean to say that automobiles fail to fall into a single "objective nested hierarchy". That's okay, Evolution fails that test as well.

Evolution does not fail that test.

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I can organize wheeled vehicles using common relationships of tires, fuel reservoir and delivery system, and transmission.... or I could ignore these common trait relationships and arbitrarily sort them based on the body color, which would result instead in groups consisting of automobiles, bicycles, skateboards, etc. I could do the same thing with animals by disregarding their basic body-plans and sorting them only by average pigmentation.

1. Automobiles, just like all non-living things, do not reproduce by passing along genetic material to offspring and thus they are not an analogy to living things.
2. The VW A1 platform of the early 80s had 4 different models that bacically were swapped characters which would violate a nested hierarchy.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Group_A_platform#A1

Upvote 0

lifepsyop

Jan 23, 2014
✟57,063.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You can't produce the same tree with other morphological characteristics found in automobiles. Instead, you get wildly divergent trees.

You can't produce the same evolutionary tree based off of convergent traits.

In order to get anything close to what we are seeing with automobiles, you would need to have trees where an ostrich is in the same genus as squid instead of with other birds.

Doubtful.

At best, you see small changes in closely related nodes with life. Nothing like the massive divergences seen in automobiles.

.....It only accommodates small changes at closely related nodes. What you have with automobiles is vastly different trees. It isn't even comparable.

The possibility that all of the morphological traits that group Birds in Theropods are superficial similarities would be a major difference, yet an Evolutionary hierarchy could easily sustain this change.

As we know, the hierarchy could also sustain Birds moving even further away from their current nested grouping, and aligned closer with mammals, as Evolutionists have previously suggested. You're in denial about this, but it doesn't change the facts. You want to keep telling yourself these are minor fluctuations at the tips of nodes. That obvious misrepresentation is a symptom of your denial of how pliable evolution's nested hierarchy actually is.

Next you will tell yourself something like "this is all fantasy!" Yet they are real proposals put forth by prominent evolutionists.

Retinal projections? That's it? You have to focus on one tiny thing in a tiny organ?

How complex is the organization particular trait? Do you know? Am I also allowed undefined "That's it?!" freebies?

With automobiles, I am talking about major systems. I am talking about the engines and transmissions. In comparison, it would be like me commenting on the size of the knurls on the radio dial. The fact that you have to go to something so obscure that proves just how hearty the nested hierarchy really is.

That was just one interesting example I happened to recall off the top of my head. There are many others.

And apparent Megabat/Primate similarities are so remarkable that evolutionists seriously considered whether Megabats and Microbats evolved independently of each other. When genetics pushed them closer together, this forced researchers to assume all of those anatomical similarities were a product of convergence.

Evolution of course, could have accommodate either nested hierarchy, that is obvious. Publications of convergent bats never produced a whiff of fear of falsification of the evolutionary hierarchy. This is because there is no objective nested hierarchy of common descent. Major animal groups can be shifted around. You hate that fact.

It can't be labeled as convergent. Nice try.

Why not? Evolutionists can label an undetermined amount of morphology as convergent. There is no specifically defined "maximum allowed convergence". Actually, all of phylogeny is based off of the weak and completely untested assumption that convergence is probably minimal.

And now you find excuses for automobiles not producing a nested hierarchy, even though you previously said that they did fall into a nested hierarchy.

If I recall, that is one of the first points I brought up. Obviously we would expect to find a more harmonious pattern from a single designer than with multiple designers. Is that really that hard to understand? Of course, subscribing to the Biblical Creation point of view, I believe there was a single designer.

INo, they can't. Notice that you haven't produced a cladogram for these features, and shown how it matches your previous cladogram.

Yes, they can. Convergence is a subjective assessment. Evolution theory tells us so.

"Why would species with fur have more similar cytochrome c alleles than species without fur? How do you explain that?"

Where did I say that it was unrelated to fitness? The question is simple. Why do animals with fur have more similar cytochrome c genes as measured by DNA sequence? What in the world does the sequence of cytochrome c genes have to do with fur?

I thought I just answered you. If there are cytchrome c similarities in mammals, I would think that is because they functionally aid mammals.

Maybe you should try attaching an argument to this question instead of just asking it randomly.

Echolocation is not a morphological character or DNA sequence.

Where did I claim it was? Here, try responding to what I wrote:
"Okay, fine, the morphological pattern of limbs is unrelated to the presence of genes involved in echolocation."

That is only at the level of the protein sequence.

I don't know if that's true, but so what if it is? What's your point?

"Systematic analyses of convergent sequence evolution in 805,053 amino acids within 2,326 orthologous coding gene sequences compared across 22 mammals (including four newly sequenced bat genomes) revealed signatures consistent with convergence in nearly 200 loci."

That doesn't say there is *only* convergence at the amino acid level. Where do the researchers say there is no convergence at the level of DNA?

from another study I read this:
"...Altogether our results suggest a strong relation of the strand bias and amino acid sequences
and thus the danger of homoplasious substitutions in taxa that achieved a similar genome
organization independently
"

https://www.researchgate.net/public...ilaterian_mitochondrial_genomes_and_phylogeny

You need to show analyses of the DNA sequence in order for it to be cogent to the conversation.

No I don't. I'm simply describing character relationships. If we arrange a hierarchy based on proteins involved in echolocation, then dolphins and bats group together. Are amino sequences suddenly irrelevant to nested hierarchies when they don't give you favorable results?

You inherit DNA sequences, not protein sequences. Time and again, I have stressed that it is the DNA sequence that matters.

What are you even arguing here? We are discussing character traits in general, not only DNA. And DNA has never been some glorious test of Common Descent like you seem to believe it is. The reason is, as stated, the highly flexible narrative can be re-adjusted to better conform to DNA.

Evolution does not fail that test.

Of course it does. I've demonstrated that fact. Evolution can be arranged in multiple, highly divergent hierarchies. There is obviously no single "objective" hierarchy of common descent. You're in denial about that.

Upvote 0

Loudmouth

Contributor
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
✟98,005.00
Faith
Agnostic
You can't produce the same evolutionary tree based off of convergent traits.

Yes, you can. Convergent traits are not homologous, so they would not be treated as homologous and do produce the expected tree.

Doubtful.

Proven. In your cladogram, you had pickups and cars in completely different lineages. This would be equivalent to an ostrich and a squid that are in completely different lineages. If I organize automobiles by their engines, then I find cars and pickups that have the EXACT SAME ENGINE. For example, the Toyota 22R-E engine is found in the 1985 Toyota Celica and the 1985 Toyota Pickup.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_R_engine

This would put formerly distantly related automobiles in the same genus.

The possibility that all of the morphological traits that group Birds in Theropods are superficial similarities would be a major difference, yet an Evolutionary hierarchy could easily sustain this change.

That is made up out of whole cloth.

When you are ready to deal with real data instead of imagined data, let us know. Until you are willing to start dealing honestly with real data, there is nothing more to discuss.

Upvote 0

lifepsyop

Jan 23, 2014
✟57,063.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yes, you can. Convergent traits are not homologous, so they would not be treated as homologous and do produce the expected tree.

Evolutionists cannot determine with any degree of certainty if a trait is homologous or convergent. In fact it is routine to switch characters from homologous to convergent in phylogenetics. We've been over this many times before.

Proven. In your cladogram, you had pickups and cars in completely different lineages. This would be equivalent to an ostrich and a squid that are in completely different lineages. If I organize automobiles by their engines, then I find cars and pickups that have the EXACT SAME ENGINE. For example, the Toyota 22R-E engine is found in the 1985 Toyota Celica and the 1985 Toyota Pickup.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_R_engine

This would put formerly distantly related automobiles in the same genus.

It's just plain silly to try and compare the difference between a car and pickup to the difference between an ostrich and a squid.

That is made up out of whole cloth.

Nope. That comes from the renowned experts in the field of Bird evolution - all the traits that group Birds in Theropods may just be convergent. Your denial of this doesn't make it go away.

Upvote 0

Loudmouth

Contributor
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
✟98,005.00
Faith
Agnostic
Evolutionists cannot determine with any degree of certainty if a trait is homologous or convergent. In fact it is routine to switch characters from homologous to convergent in phylogenetics. We've been over this many times before.

Where is there a fossil with a mixture of bird and mammal traits?

It's just plain silly to try and compare the difference between a car and pickup to the difference between an ostrich and a squid.

That's because cars and pickups do not fall into a nested hierarchy. Birds and cephalopods do.

Nope. That comes from the renowned experts in the field of Bird evolution - all the traits that group Birds in Theropods may just be convergent. Your denial of this doesn't make it go away.

Where are the mammal features in these bird fossils?

Upvote 0

tas8831

May 5, 2017
Northeast
✟101,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Sorry for the thread resurrection, but came across this while searching for something else...
The evolutionist's argument rests on the unfounded assumption that the presence of the "pseudogene" serves no purpose to the organism whatsoever, and therefore must only be present because it's a remnant from evolution.

That is not the argument at all, and function of pseudogenes is largely irrelevant. They DO accumulate mutation in an unconstrained way. They DO provide good phylogenetic signal.

Of course, if researchers discover some purpose for it later on down the road (as Tomkins appears to have done with at least one of the psuedogenes), evolutionists will just shrug their shoulders and press on to the next claim.

Amazingly, that is because - what is that old saying - the exception proves the rule?

Upvote 0

AirPo

with a Touch of Grey
Oct 31, 2003
✟169,357.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Sorry for the thread resurrection,
You had me thinking AV came back.
:D

but came across this while searching for something else...

That is not the argument at all, and function of pseudogenes is largely irrelevant. They DO accumulate mutation in an unconstrained way. They DO provide good phylogenetic signal.

Amazingly, that is because - what is that old saying - the exception proves the rule?

• Haha
Reactions: tas8831
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums