Dallas
✟871,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
https://answersingenesis.org/geneti...tellogenin-pseudogene-exists-in-human-genome/

Not sure if this is rank dishonesty or selective omission, but Tomkins claims the paper showing vitellogenin psudogenes in humans is wrong because 150 base pairs are actually part of a GAM gene. There's a number of issues with his claims, but the biggest stems from this part:

The sequence identified by Brawand, Wahli, and Kaessmann (2008) as being a vtg pseudogene is only 150 bases long
"The sequence" is actually one exon on one of three VIT genes.

Here's the original paper:
http://journals.plos.org/plosbiology/article?id=10.1371/journal.pbio.0060063

• Agree
Reactions: Job 33:6

Loudmouth

Contributor
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
✟98,005.00
Faith
Agnostic
"The sequence" is actually one exon on one of three VIT genes.

Here's the original paper:
http://journals.plos.org/plosbiology/article?id=10.1371/journal.pbio.0060063

Lie by omission would be the correct description. The PLOS paper is full of additional VIT genes in multiple mammalian species, all of which are completely ignored. They act as if this one exon is the only remnant of the VIT family of genes. Figure 1:

Multiple genes with over 1 kb for each gene. Funny how Tomkins didn't mention those, nor any of the other evidence in the PLOS paper.

Upvote 0

lifepsyop

Jan 23, 2014
✟57,063.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
He's also trying to make it appear as if results from the human genome are the only significant ones. The presence of VIT psueudogenes in any mammal is problematic for Creationists.

They're not really a problem for creationists. Psuedogenes are just a variation on the same old homology argument, i.e. "shared trait = because common ancestor"... The evolutionist's argument rests on the unfounded assumption that the presence of the "pseudogene" serves no purpose to the organism whatsoever, and therefore must only be present because it's a remnant from evolution.

Of course, if researchers discover some purpose for it later on down the road (as Tomkins appears to have done with at least one of the psuedogenes), evolutionists will just shrug their shoulders and press on to the next claim.

Reactions: Hieronymus
Upvote 0

Loudmouth

Contributor
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
✟98,005.00
Faith
Agnostic
They're not really a problem for creationists. Psuedogenes are just a variation on the same old homology argument, i.e. "shared trait = because common ancestor"...

We aren't making a homology argument. We are making a phylogenetic argument, as we have told you time and again. The evidence for evolution is the phylogenies that these sequences fall into, whether they are functional or not.

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
They're not really a problem for creationists. Psuedogenes are just a variation on the same old homology argument, i.e. "shared trait = because common ancestor"...

Pseudogenes are a prediction of common ancestry. There really isn't a viable, scientific alternative explanation.

The evolutionist's argument rests on the unfounded assumption that the presence of the "pseudogene" serves no purpose to the organism whatsoever, and therefore must only be present because it's a remnant from evolution.

No. A broken gene is a broken gene, even if it is co-opted into a different function.

Of course, if researchers discover some purpose for it later on down the road (as Tomkins appears to have done with at least one of the psuedogenes), evolutionists will just shrug their shoulders and press on to the next claim.

Which one was that? The one he "discovered" using a buggy gene database and was the only person able to get those results?

Upvote 0

lifepsyop

Jan 23, 2014
✟57,063.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
We aren't making a homology argument. We are making a phylogenetic argument, as we have told you time and again.

That's an odd distinction to make considering phylogenies are fundamentally based on homologies.

The evidence for evolution is the phylogenies that these sequences fall into, whether they are functional or not.

It isn't evidence for evolution because the sequences don't fall into a specific arrangement predicted by evolution.

Evolutionists merely assert a sequence is more ancient, the more distantly it is shared between distinct animal groups.

If the VTG genes in question were only found in reptiles and not mammals, then evolutionists would just say the sequence was less ancient, and was a more advanced yolk production mechanism that evolved after reptiles and mammals split, and *poof* another arrangement that magically falls into the amorphous evolutionary phylogeny

Upvote 0

Loudmouth

Contributor
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
✟98,005.00
Faith
Agnostic
That's an odd distinction to make considering phylogenies are fundamentally based on homologies.

Category error, on your part. Just because a cat is a mammal does not mean that all mammals are cats.

Phylogenies are a subset of the number of possible patterns of homology.

It isn't evidence for evolution because the sequences don't fall into a specific arrangement predicted by evolution.

Please support this claim.

Evolutionists merely assert a sequence is more ancient, the more distantly it is shared between distinct animal groups.

It is the match between the phylogenies based on morphology to the phylogenies based on DNA sequence that evidence the age of these sequences.

If the VTG genes in question were only found in reptiles and not mammals, then evolutionists would just say the sequence was less ancient, and was a more advanced yolk production mechanism that evolved after reptiles and mammals split, and *poof* another arrangement that magically falls into the amorphous evolutionary phylogeny

Yet another attempt by you to handwave the evidence away. Sorry, but your fantasy worlds don't refute the real world.

Upvote 0

lifepsyop

Jan 23, 2014
✟57,063.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Category error, on your part. Just because a cat is a mammal does not mean that all mammals are cats.

Phylogenies are a subset of the number of possible patterns of homology.

That's nice. Like I said, you can't make a phylogenetic argument without discussing shared traits, i.e. homologies.

Please support this claim.

My claim is based on the basic logic of evolutionary reasoning that is demonstrated daily:

1. The more distantly a sequence is shared among different lineages, the more ancient it will be assumed to be.
2. The more lineage-specific a sequence is, the more recent it will be assumed to be.

Thus, sequences do not "fall into" an evolutionary phylogeny.
It would be far more accurate to say an evolutionary phylogeny "falls around" the sequences.

Evolution is a fog that settles around the shifting landscape of data.

It is the match between the phylogenies based on morphology to the phylogenies based on DNA sequence that evidence the age of these sequences.

Bald assertion. Vague claims like that usually don't withstand scrutiny.

Yet another attempt by you to handwave the evidence away. Sorry, but your fantasy worlds don't refute the real world.

See, you didn't say "You're wrong, evolutionists couldn't make those assumptions" because you know I'm right that they could. (Actually I provided a direct example of this with the ERVs and mammal placentas in the other thread)

Instead of engaging me on this subject, you always run and hide, mumbling something about fantasies, etc.

Upvote 0

Loudmouth

Contributor
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
✟98,005.00
Faith
Agnostic
That's nice. Like I said, you can't make a phylogenetic argument without discussing shared traits, i.e. homologies.

You can't discuss all mammals without discussing cats. That doesn't mean that all mammals are cats.

If humans and cats shared several genes that had 100% the same sequence while the same gene in other apes differed from humans by 10%, then this would falsify evolution. There are homologies that would falsify evolution. It isn't simply homology. It is the pattern of homology that matters.

My claim is based on the basic logic of evolutionary reasoning that is demonstrated daily:

1. The more distantly a sequence is shared among different lineages, the more ancient it will be assumed to be.

Common ancestry is already established by the fact that these DNA sequences fall into a nested hierarchy. Using that knowledge, we can then determine how old these genes are. The age isn't assumed. It is a conclusion drawn from evidence.

Thus, sequences do not "fall into" an evolutionary phylogeny.
It would be far more accurate to say an evolutionary phylogeny "falls around" the sequences.

This is completely false. Random sequences do not produce well supported phylogenies. If evolution did not occur, then a well supported phylogeny would not be detected.

"The degree to which a given phylogeny displays a unique, well-supported, objective nested hierarchy can be rigorously quantified. Several different statistical tests have been developed for determining whether a phylogeny has a subjective or objective nested hierarchy, or whether a given nested hierarchy could have been generated by a chance process instead of a genealogical process (Swofford 1996, p. 504). These tests measure the degree of "cladistic hierarchical structure" (also known as the "phylogenetic signal") in a phylogeny, and phylogenies based upon true genealogical processes give high values of hierarchical structure, whereas subjective phylogenies that have only apparent hierarchical structure (like a phylogeny of cars, for example) give low values (Archie 1989; Faith and Cranston 1991; Farris 1989; Felsenstein 1985; Hillis 1991; Hillis and Huelsenbeck 1992; Huelsenbeck et al. 2001; Klassen et al. 1991)."
http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/comdesc/section1.html#nested_hierarchy

There are numerous statistical tests to determine if a phylogeny is real or not.

Evolution is a fog that settles around the shifting landscape of data.

The facts demonstrate otherwise.

Bald assertion. Vague claims like that usually don't withstand scrutiny.

You always ignore the data.

"So, how well do phylogenetic trees from morphological studies match the trees made from independent molecular studies? There are over 1038 different possible ways to arrange the 30 major taxa represented in Figure 1 into a phylogenetic tree (see Table 1.3.1; Felsenstein 1982; Li 1997, p. 102). In spite of these odds, the relationships given in Figure 1, as determined from morphological characters, are completely congruent with the relationships determined independently from cytochrome c molecular studies (for consensus phylogenies from pre-molecular studies see Carter 1954, Figure 1, p. 13; Dodson 1960, Figures 43, p. 125, and Figure 50, p. 150; Osborn 1918, Figure 42, p. 161; Haeckel 1898, p. 55; Gregory 1951, Fig. opposite title page; for phylogenies from the early cytochrome c studies see McLaughlin and Dayhoff 1973; Dickerson and Timkovich 1975, pp. 438-439)."
http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/comdesc/section1.html#independent_convergence

See, you didn't say "You're wrong, evolutionists couldn't make those assumptions" because you know I'm right that they could.

Imagine if a defense attorney made this argument:

"Your honor, if the prosecution had not found my client's DNA, fingerprints, fibers, hair samples, and shoe prints at the crime scene, they would still assume that my client committed the crime. Therefore, I ask that the court dismiss all of this evidence because they are unfairly assuming my client is guilty."

Does that make sense to you?

What you are essentially arguing is that if we hadn't found all of this evidence for evolution that we would assume evolution is true anyway. That is perhaps the most backwards argument I have ever come across. First, it is a tacit admission that the evidence supports evolution. Second, you think that your fantasyland where there is no evidence somehow trumps the real world that is full of evidence for evolution.

(Actually I provided a direct example of this with the ERVs and mammal placentas in the other thread)

No, you didn't. You made unevidenced claims that viral proteins meant to link the viral capsid with the host cell membrane taking on the same function when expressed in human cells is somehow a miracle. You never backed up this claim, other than to assert it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

lifepsyop

Jan 23, 2014
✟57,063.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If humans and cats shared several genes that had 100% the same sequence while the same gene in other apes differed from humans by 10%, then this would falsify evolution. There are homologies that would falsify evolution. It isn't simply homology. It is the pattern of homology that matters.

Yea and Humans and Lobsters sharing genes that are lacking in Apes would falsify evolution.

Similar animals are similar, who would have thought?

I don't claim Evolution is completely non-falsifiable, only that it is so amorphous that it resists falsification.
Practically ANYTHING is potentially falsifiable. This quality does not automatically make something a robust scientific theory.

Common ancestry is already established by the fact that these DNA sequences fall into a nested hierarchy. Using that knowledge, we can then determine how old these genes are.

Same old bald assertions about some mysterious "objective nested hierarchy" that supposedly exists.

The age isn't assumed. It is a conclusion drawn from evidence.

Uh, no. The "age" is determined by assuming evolution is true. For example in the paper you linked, researchers state that since they found sequence similarities in dogs and humans, this must mean that the sequence is as old as the imaginary common ancestor of dogs and humans.

The age isn't drawn from evidence, the data is simply bludgeoned with the evolutionary assumption.

This is completely false. Random sequences do not produce well supported phylogenies. If evolution did not occur, then a well supported phylogeny would not be detected.

Bald assertions and philosophy. Why do sequences have to necessarily be "random" in the absence of Evolution, I wonder?

"The degree to which a given phylogeny displays a unique, well-supported, objective nested hierarchy can be rigorously quantified. Several different statistical tests have been developed for determining whether a phylogeny has a subjective or objective nested hierarchy, or whether a given nested hierarchy could have been generated by a chance process instead of a genealogical process (Swofford 1996, p. 504). These tests measure the degree of "cladistic hierarchical structure" (also known as the "phylogenetic signal") in a phylogeny, and phylogenies based upon true genealogical processes give high values of hierarchical structure, whereas subjective phylogenies that have only apparent hierarchical structure (like a phylogeny of cars, for example) give low values (Archie 1989; Faith and Cranston 1991; Farris 1989; Felsenstein 1985; Hillis 1991; Hillis and Huelsenbeck 1992; Huelsenbeck et al. 2001; Klassen et al. 1991)."
http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/comdesc/section1.html#nested_hierarchy

There are numerous statistical tests to determine if a phylogeny is real or not.

TalkOrigins cleverly bases all of this bluster on the hidden assertion that the alternative to Evolution can only be a "chance process".

And there is no "objective" nested hierarchy.

Imagine if a defense attorney made this argument:

"Your honor, if the prosecution had not found my client's DNA, fingerprints, fibers, hair samples, and shoe prints at the crime scene, they would still assume that my client committed the crime. Therefore, I ask that the court dismiss all of this evidence because they are unfairly assuming my client is guilty."

Does that make sense to you?

What's funny is that you do the same thing.

"Random sequences do not produce well supported phylogenies. If evolution did not occur, then a well supported phylogeny would not be detected."

"Your honor, if Evolution had not occurred, then living things would have totally random genomic sequences with no rhyme or reason whatsoever."

What you are essentially arguing is that if we hadn't found all of this evidence for evolution that we would assume evolution is true anyway. That is perhaps the most backwards argument I have ever come across. First, it is a tacit admission that the evidence supports evolution. Second, you think that your fantasyland where there is no evidence somehow trumps the real world that is full of evidence for evolution.

Again, what you are essentially arguing is that if Evolution were not true, then the pattern of genetic sequences would look completely random. You've made your own "fantasyland" where this is true and are basing your whole premise of "evolutionary phylogeny" off of it.

Upvote 0

Loudmouth

Contributor
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
✟98,005.00
Faith
Agnostic
Yea and Humans and Lobsters sharing genes that are lacking in Apes would falsify evolution.

There isn't a single reason why similar animals should have this much DNA in common. Just with 3rd base wobble, you can use DNA sequences that differ by 80% to produce the same amino acid sequence. Only a trifling amount of any genome affects the morphology of that organism, so why does so much of the rest of it match?
I don't claim Evolution is completely non-falsifiable, only that it is so amorphous that it resists falsification.

Which is just your uninformed opinion.
Same old bald assertions about some mysterious "objective nested hierarchy" that supposedly exists.

And now you ignore facts.

When you are ready to accept facts, let us know. Until then, your denial of reality makes any adult conversation impossible.

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

Cool. And if we ever find one of your hypothetical morphological or genetic chimeras you might have a point. Until we do find such a thing, all you have is phantasmal well poison.

Linneaus, Darwin, etc.

Practically ANYTHING is potentially falsifiable. This quality does not automatically make something a robust scientific theory.

Yeah, this coming from the guy who knows that a bird with forelimbs and wings could be explained away somehow by some hypothetical hexapod common ancestor to tetrapods, blah blah blah.

If the hierarchy didn't exist, then we would have falsified it by now. If you look Theobald's 29 Evidences he goes into the methods of analysis used to form the trees. There's a lot more to it than "this looks similar".

Uh, no. The "age" is determined by assuming evolution is true1.. For example in the paper you linked, researchers state that since they found sequence similarities in dogs and humans, this must mean that the sequence is as old as the imaginary common ancestor2. of dogs and humans.

1. Actually the age is determined by mutation rates.
2. Since common ancestry of mammals is well established, it's not imaginary for any node.
Oh and Cool hyperbole bro.

The age isn't drawn from evidence, the data is simply bludgeoned with the evolutionary assumption.

And now we have the magical Creationist words means to POOF! the evidence away.

Assumptions!

Assumptions.jpg

Upvote 0

lifepsyop

Jan 23, 2014
✟57,063.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
There isn't a single reason why similar animals should have this much DNA in common.

More of your philosophical rantings: "If Evolution isn't true, then life should have looked like *this*...."

Just with 3rd base wobble, you can use DNA sequences that differ by 80% to produce the same amino acid sequence.

Why are these specific DNA bases conserved in the first place if there is absolutely no selection pressure to keep them from 'wobbling' to one of equal effect?

Only a trifling amount of any genome affects the morphology of that organism, so why does so much of the rest of it match?

Oh yes, because we know everything about the genome. It's not like genomic function is ever being discovered where it was once assumed absent.

Which is just your uninformed opinion.

Actually I expose Evolution's insulation from falsification in nearly every one of my posts, often with examples from the literature. The fact is, evolutionary models are extremely pliable and can be adjusted accordingly to conform to the data. This is simple to demonstrate.

And now you ignore facts.

When you are ready to accept facts, let us know. Until then, your denial of reality makes any adult conversation impossible.

So you assert the existence of some mystical "objective" nested hierarchy of common descent, and then can't support it when challenged. Okay. As we've seen, the best you can muster is some bizarre metaphysical assertion that if Evolution did not take place, then life's genomes should necessarily be nonsensically scrambled and random. Needless to say, this is not a scientific argument.

Upvote 0

lifepsyop

Jan 23, 2014
✟57,063.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Cool. And if we ever find one of your hypothetical morphological or genetic chimeras you might have a point. Until we do find such a thing, all you have is phantasmal well poison.

I think the point went over your head. I was making a joke at the absurd lengths evolutionists have to go to produce actual falsification criteria for their theory. We have no lobster-men or turtle-mushrooms, so Evolution must be true.

Linneaus, Darwin, etc.

Again, that was a bit of humor. That evolutionists marvel at their scientific ability to predict that similar animals will be organized by similar molecules, (as if evolution were not true we should suddenly happen upon a cat that is genetically organized more like a lobster than another mammal)... is all a bit ridiculous. Yet evolutionists consider this their main pillar of achievement.

It's sort of like evolutionists priding themselves on figuring out that animals that survive, will survive.

Yeah, this coming from the guy who knows that a bird with forelimbs and wings could be explained away somehow by some hypothetical hexapod common ancestor to tetrapods, blah blah blah.

Huh? If viable hexapod vertebrates existed, evolutionists would just say they evolved like they do everything else. That's not hard to understand.

If the hierarchy didn't exist, then we would have falsified it by now. If you look Theobald's 29 Evidences he goes into the methods of analysis used to form the trees. There's a lot more to it than "this looks similar".

Of course all living things will necessarily fall into some kind of hierarchy. The important distinction is that there is not an "objective" hierarchy of common descent.

To give a simple example, take Birds. Most evolutionists believe that Birds nest into Therapod dinosaurs. Yet some experts think Birds may nest in an entirely different animal group. Swathes of Bird morphology could either be taken as homologous to Therapods or taken as just being "convergently evolved" to be similar to Therapods. Birds have even been hypothesized by evolutionists to have been placed relatively much closer to mammals at one point.

The important point here is that there is no "objective hierarchy of common descent" for the lineages leading up to birds. The hierarchy of common descent is waiting to contort itself in order to accommodate the data. The hierarchy is not some objective thing that animals are tested against. This is a myth floated by evolutionists.

1. Actually the age is determined by mutation rates.
2. Since common ancestry of mammals is well established, it's not imaginary for any node.

Thank you for emphasizing my point exactly. You force your belief in universal common ancestry onto the data.

It is a vicious cycle. You start with your belief in evolution, then only interpret data through that belief in evolution, and then use those interpretations as 'evidence' justifying the belief in evolution, repeat.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

46AND2

Forty six and two are just ahead of me...
Sep 5, 2012
Vancouver, WA
✟102,103.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I think the point went over your head. I was making a joke at the absurd lengths evolutionists have to go to produce actual falsification criteria for their theory. We have no lobster-men or turtle-mushrooms, so Evolution must be true.

Again, that was a bit of humor. That evolutionists marvel at their scientific ability to predict that similar animals will be organized by similar molecules, (as if evolution were not true we should suddenly happen upon a cat that is genetically organized more like a lobster than another mammal)... is all a bit ridiculous. Yet evolutionists consider this their main pillar of achievement.

It's sort of like evolutionists priding themselves on figuring out that animals that survive, will survive.

Huh? If viable hexapod vertebrates existed, evolutionists would just say they evolved like they do everything else. That's not hard to understand.

Of course all living things will necessarily fall into some kind of hierarchy. The important distinction is that there is not an "objective" hierarchy of common descent.

To give a simple example, take Birds. Most evolutionists believe that Birds nest into Therapod dinosaurs. Yet some experts think Birds may nest in an entirely different animal group. Swathes of Bird morphology could either be taken as homologous to Therapods or taken as just being "convergently evolved" to be similar to Therapods. Birds have even been hypothesized by evolutionists to have been placed relatively much closer to mammals at one point.

The important point here is that there is no "objective hierarchy of common descent" for the lineages leading up to birds. The hierarchy of common descent is waiting to contort itself in order to accommodate the data. The hierarchy is not some objective thing that animals are tested against. This is a myth floated by evolutionists.

Thank you for emphasizing my point exactly. You force your belief in universal common ancestry onto the data.

It is a vicious cycle. You start with your belief in evolution, then only interpret data through that belief in evolution, and then use those interpretations as 'evidence' justifying the belief in evolution, repeat.

You are the king of hyperbole. But I guess that's all you have when you admit that, in most instances, the data supports the nested hierarchy model of evolution. When it is pointed out that the theory is not "extremely pliable" but rather, exceptions are limited to very specific circumstances (read: incomplete lineage sorting), you insist on missing the forest for the trees...

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

Oh. That is hilarious. You are such a card.

More levity I see. Of course reproductive success goes far beyond your insipid tautology, but we can discuss that later.

You keep repeating your incorrect conclusions and your incredulity that others don't understand what a genius you are for having figured this whole scam out. The problem is you are the one who doesn't get it. I'm not talking about "viable hexapod vertebrates". I'm talking for like the 10th time about a bird with the derived characters of both forelimbs and wings and how you claim that if we ever observed such a thing it would not falsify evolution because "evolutionists" would make up some hypothetical ancestral hexapod tetrapod ancestor.

That simply doesn't comport with reality and is a fantasy that exists only in your imagination.

Of course all living things will necessarily fall into some kind of hierarchy.

Really? Because a bird with forelimbs and wings sure as heck wouldn't fall into any hierarchy explained by evolution.

To give a simple example, take Birds. Most evolutionists believe that Birds nest into Therapod dinosaurs. Yet some experts think Birds may nest in an entirely different animal group. Swathes of Bird morphology could either be taken as homologous to Therapods or taken as just being "convergently evolved" to be similar to Therapods.

Some experts are Alan Feduccia who thinks they evolved from archosaurs and John Ruben who thinks they evolved from an even more distant diapsid. So we have Feduccia who thinks they still evolved from dinosaurs and Ruben who thinks they evolved from reptiles. Apart from two mavericks who still think they evolved from reptilian lineages, I'm not seeing the point here.

Birds have even been hypothesized by evolutionists to have been placed relatively much closer to mammals at one point.

Yeah, you've mentioned that previously. And it was a decades old proposition if I recall correctly. How about we stick with 21st century science?

It's not a belief when the evidence supports it and all the hyperbolic verbiage in the world won't change that fact.

If one thinks that, since we're talking about mammals, that Linneas came up with evolution or that Darwin came up with the taxon Mammalia, I guess one could make such an observation. Reality says otherwise however.

Upvote 0

Loudmouth

Contributor
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
✟98,005.00
Faith
Agnostic
More of your philosophical rantings: "If Evolution isn't true, then life should have looked like *this*...."

Can you name one reason why separate creation events should produce a nested hierarchy? If not, then my conclusion stands.

Why are these specific DNA bases conserved in the first place if there is absolutely no selection pressure to keep them from 'wobbling' to one of equal effect?

Time and probability. The mutation rate, generation time, and population size determine the rate at which synonymous mutations (i.e. neutral mutations) are fixed in a population.

http://www.nyu.edu/projects/fitch/courses/evolution/html/genetic_drift.html

Oh yes, because we know everything about the genome. It's not like genomic function is ever being discovered where it was once assumed absent.

Even in genes that affect morphology, the majority of the gene is made up of introns which do not become part of the translated mRNA. Why should these introns produce the same nested hierarchy if separate creation is true since they do not have an impact on morphology?

Actually I expose Evolution's insulation from falsification in nearly every one of my posts, often with examples from the literature.

You have been shown that this isn't the case.

http://www.christianforums.com/thre...ts-bluff-with-the-data.7906305/#post-68569016

So you assert the existence of some mystical "objective" nested hierarchy of common descent, and then can't support it when challenged.

I have supported it at every turn.

Upvote 0

lifepsyop

Jan 23, 2014
✟57,063.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Can you name one reason why separate creation events should produce a nested hierarchy? If not, then my conclusion stands.

Easily. If the creator designs iterations off of common templates, (e.g. Vertebrate template, Mammal template, etc.) (much like a human designer) then it will necessarily produce a very orderly nested hierarchy.

Time and probability. The mutation rate, generation time, and population size determine the rate at which synonymous mutations (i.e. neutral mutations) are fixed in a population.

http://www.nyu.edu/projects/fitch/courses/evolution/html/genetic_drift.html

Fair enough, but let's return to your original claim that the DNA base changes would be neutral.

Hearing silence: non-neutral evolution at synonymous sites in mammals 2006
http://www.nature.com/nrg/journal/v7/n2/full/nrg1770.html

"Although the assumption of the neutral theory of molecular evolution — that some classes of mutation have too small an effect on fitness to be affected by natural selection — seems intuitively reasonable, over the past few decades the theory has been in retreat. At least in species with large populations, even synonymous mutations in exons are not neutral. By contrast, in mammals, neutrality of these mutations is still commonly assumed. However, new evidence indicates that even some synonymous mutations are subject to constraint, often because they affect splicing and/or mRNA stability. This has implications for understanding disease, optimizing transgene design, detecting positive selection and estimating the mutation rate."

You're basing your argument on yet more assumptions. Not surprising.

If distinct DNA bases are meaningful with regards to function, regardless of producing the same amino acid, then your argument is moot.

Even in genes that affect morphology, the majority of the gene is made up of introns which do not become part of the translated mRNA. Why should these introns produce the same nested hierarchy if separate creation is true since they do not have an impact on morphology?

Why are you hedging with this focus on morphology? Even if the intron does not directly contribute to protein-coding, it can still effect genetic processes.

Upvote 0