Tokien

Status
Not open for further replies.

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Taking existing stories and themes and reworking them to say something different - even the diametrically opposite - is a perfectly normal part of human and Christian culture. Going right back to at least many of the Genesis stories even scripture does exactly that. Jesus does exactly that.

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Tokien
Why do some Christians support/express favor for Tolkien's Lord of the Rings stories? Clearly the imagery of the stories comes from pagan sources. Anyone who's read the Volsung Saga, The Prose Edda, the Poetic Edda and the Kalevala can see where Professor Tolkien found his imagery and inspiration. The dialogue between the dragon and the Hobbit in the book The Hobbit is clearly from the Poetic Edda (poems about Fafnir). Even the character of Beren is inspired by the Norse god Tyr. The balrogs are inspired by the Norse demon called Surt. Sauron, the main villain in Lord of the Rings, shares characteristics of the Norse trickster god Loki. The character of Gandalf is clearly inspired by Odin and Vainamoinen, Norse and Finnish pagan characters. The books even go so far as to suggest some magic is good and not evil. Why would any Christian support or read such books? (I do not consider the movies a faithful rendition of the books considering how awful they are.)

Does Tolkien ever admit to borrowing from these mythological characters and stories? In any case, Tolkien doesn't present his trilogy as fact but pure fiction. And throwing out his tale simply because it borrows facets of other stories and characters from pagan religions is to fall prey to the Genetic Fallacy.

Selah.

Upvote 0

BornAgainBrian

The Honourable Schoolboy
Dec 23, 2014
Wahiawa, HI
✟16,392.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Romans 14 teaches how to handle discrepancies just like this.

If you are personally convicted that reading these stories is wrong, then don't read them. I won't judge you for that and won't discuss the stories in your presence.

However the flip side of this is that those who have no such conviction are absolutely free to read this fiction. They should also be free from judgment of those who disagree.

Upvote 0

Tina W

Dec 24, 2014
Arizona, USA
✟20,523.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't think people should read too much into fantasy type stories and movies. Everyone gets ideas from somewhere and when dealing with fantasy they can't get ideas from reality or it wouldn't be fantasy, so they have to look to mythological stories and things of that nature to get ideas. It doesn't have to necessarily mean they are promoting paganism or worshiping mythological gods, it's just a fantasy story for entertainment sake. Not to be taken too seriously.

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Thank you for your response.

Where does Genesis and Jesus do this? I would like to read those stories again.
For example Genesis 1 reworks (to refute) Babylonian creation themes.
Genesis 6-9 reworks older flood stories.
The parable of The Rich Man and Lazarus almost certainly reworks existing folk wisdom.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Leah71

Sep 6, 2012
None of your business
✟1,162.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
For example Genesis 1 reworks (to refute) Babylonian creation themes.
Genesis 6-9 reworks older flood stories.
The parable of The Rich Man and Lazarus almost certainly reworks existing folk wisdom.

Why not burn and completely obliterate such works rather then let evil non-Christians and (evil) females like me read un-Biblical books like this?

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Why not burn and completely obliterate such works rather then let evil non-Christians and (evil) females like me read un-Biblical books like this?
They aren't unbiblical.

Note the signature below

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Where in the Bible does it say this, specially?
You'll find Genesis 1 at the beginning
Genesis 6-9 between chapters 5 and 10
And the parable mentioned in the gospel of Luke.

Otherwise it is unbiblical.
Er, wrong.

Unbiblical denotes something contrary to the bible.
Something not covered by the bible at all is a-biblical or extra-biblical.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BornAgainBrian

The Honourable Schoolboy
Dec 23, 2014
Wahiawa, HI
✟16,392.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Is this permitted, Biblically? I, personally, know several Christiana who burned their copies of Lord of the Rings once they realized it had even the slightest pagan influence.

If people need to do that to avoid stumbling, that is probably good.

I know and am convinced in the Lord Jesus that nothing is unclean in itself; but to him who thinks anything to be unclean, to him it is unclean. - Romans 14:14

This is how I view this. I don't see anything like this, works of fiction, etc, to be always wrong for everyone. However, if someone thinks it to be wrong, then for him it is. For me, though, it isn't.

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Are you not a Christian?
Doesn't make me like to everyone else who identifies themself as Christian.

I've known someone nasty called Leah, but I don't expect you to answer for her actions.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.