The woods and lakes of the Great North
✟60,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm sorry, I've seen some vestments in my time, and I've even worn some pretty over-the-top ones, but the train on that red thing is ridiculous.

It reminds me of a bride I met once, when I was working in the cathedral, who, when asked why she had chosen to be married there, answered us very candidly that it was the only venue where her dress would fit through the door...
All of the layers Burke wears at one time would provide enough material to clothe a dozen immigrants or homeless. I am sure Jesus appreciates it.

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
re Burke
So this is one of the "famous four" who challenged Pope Francis on Amoris Leititia.
I can see why American Catholics would choose "liberal Catholicism", when Burke represents the opposite. :) What a burke!

Upvote 0

Martinius

Catholic disciple of Jesus
Jul 2, 2010
✟60,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
re Burke
So this is one of the "famous four" who challenged Pope Francis on Amoris Leititia.
I can see why American Catholics would choose "liberal Catholicism", when Burke represents the opposite. :) What a burke!
One very good reason why few pay much attention to him. Today, "liberal" is quickly coming to mean normal, thoughtful, sane, caring, orthodox, reasonable. All thanks to the fringe elements in our Church and society.

Upvote 0

Fish and Bread

Dona nobis pacem
Jan 31, 2005
✟68,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
What Cardinal Burke says bothers me a lot more than the way he dresses. He's a dangerous man, and Pope Francis was right to sideline him. He represents almost all of the worst traits associated with religion and almost none of the better ones. He's extremely political, and not hesitant at all to threaten people with hellfire for not voting for Republican candidates. He's basically been my least favorite Cardinal since at least 2004. I'm glad that the Church has moved in another direction. Just to give people some idea, even Pope Benedict had to keep stepping in and correcting this guy for being too conservative in the ways he tried to relate faith to Republican Party orthodoxy. Pope Benedict. Think about that.

Actually, I suspect the only common ground I could find at all with Cardinal Burke is that we are both "high-church" (Preferring things like billowing clouds of incense, sanctus bells, ornate vestments and altars, etc.). Beyond that, I'm not sure we could come to an agreement that the sky is blue and grass is green. ;)

• Agree
Reactions: Fantine
Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
even Pope Benedict had to keep stepping in and correcting this guy for being too conservative in the ways he tried to relate faith to Republican Party orthodoxy. Pope Benedict. Think about that.
It all makes sense now. And I thought Bene was ultra conservative. I think Burke is a caricature, as Colin's posts show anyway.
It just makes me a bigger fan of Francis.

Upvote 0

Martinius

Catholic disciple of Jesus
Jul 2, 2010
✟60,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It all makes sense now. And I thought Bene was ultra conservative. I think Burke is a caricature, as Colin's posts show anyway.
It just makes me a bigger fan of Francis.
Burke is a poster child for the kind of Church we need to leave behind us. Thinking back to the Catholicism of my grandparents, in the Fifties, Burke would have been kind of on the edge even then.

Upvote 0

Colin

Senior Veteran
Jun 9, 2010
✟122,403.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK - SNP
We even have Colin, who I thought was as serious and conservative as Canon Law, joining in the fun.

I haven't met Canon Law , Martin , so I can't say much about him .

Me serious ?......Yes , often , but not always .

Me conservative ? ......Yes , if the term is understood correctly......i.e. conserving all that is good and true .

I would like to add conservative and progressive......conserving all that is good and true , and reforming where necessary , e.g. gettting rid of practices and customs which hinder the promotion of the good and the true .

The Second Vatican Council summed up what I am trying to say in its document Unitatis Redintegratio......" Christ summons the Church to continual reformation as she sojourns here on earth. The Church is always in need of this, in so far as she is an institution of men here on earth. Thus if, in various times and circumstances, there have been deficiencies in moral conduct or in church discipline, or even in the way that church teaching has been formulated - to be carefully distinguished from the deposit of faith itself - these can and should be set right at the opportune moment. "

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,087,129.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Martinius, I am a red hat lady, and I don't think we would welcome Cardinal Burke as a member. Red Hats is for fun and friendship. Our group goes out to dinner once a month, and I do think sitting across the table from Cardinal Burke would give me indigestion.

Looking for this comic strip, I came across some you tube cartoons about Pope Francis. This one is charming.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,503,935.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I'd never heard of red hat ladies. They look like good value.

That cartoon reminds me of my mum's stories of when she was attending a convent school, and one of the young nuns would join the children in playing soccer... out of sight of the other nuns so she wouldn't get into trouble!

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
upload_2017-1-16_15-12-23.png

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums