To unbelievers: Do you ever engage in "self-talk"?

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟948,734.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
To unbelievers: Do you ever engage in "self-talk", talking to yourself or the air, just to speak it and more importantly hear yourself say it (which I think is the important part)

Self-talk can help you a lot, if you have an issue, hearing yourself talk aloud about it and explaining the issue (to the air, or yourself) It can be a great way to take a load off of your chest, do any of you here ever do it?

God Bless!

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟487,344.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Sometimes I disagree with myself. I don't talk with myself after that, until I crack up and forgive myself.

Sometimes I type my thoughts into google, as well. Google never disagrees.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟816,533.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
As Gandalf put it, "I was talking aloud to myself. A habit of the old: they choose the wisest person present to speak to; the long explanations needed by the young are wearying."

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟948,734.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I'm failing to see how this pertains to unbelievers. It's akin to asking unbelievers if they like chocolate? I'm also puzzled as to how this is related to physical and life sciences.

Where are you going with this?
If you self-talk you are really praying is where I'm going with this...

I posted it here to find unbelievers, where should I have posted it to?

Upvote 0

lesliedellow

Sep 20, 2010
United Kingdom
Visit site
✟104,175.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
If you self-talk you are really praying is where I'm going with this...

How did I guess?

Well I suppose a reasonable definition of prayer might be that it is something intentionally directed towards God.

Reactions: DogmaHunter
Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟948,734.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
How did I guess?

Well I suppose a reasonable definition of prayer might be that it is something intentionally directed towards God.
Well, if your not praying, then you are at least talking to God...

Upvote 0

Mountain_Girl406

Supporter
Jul 9, 2015
✟144,014.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Well, if your not praying, then you are at least talking to God...
If talking to yourself is talking to God, then what does that make your definition of God?

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟948,734.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
As Gandalf put it, "I was talking aloud to myself. A habit of the old: they choose the wisest person present to speak to; the long explanations needed by the young are wearying."
And if Gandalf posed a question to himself, and then moments later got an answer (in his mind) who gave him the answer, I believe it was God, and I believe when you are talking to yourself, you are actually talking to God... Going off to self-reason, means that your reasoning is going to require answers through conversation, who are you conversing with? I believe it is God through conversation with you who gives those answers through mental conversation...

God Bless!

Last edited:
Reactions: newhopeinHim
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟948,734.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
If I talk to myself, and therefore I'm talking to God, then doesn't that make me God?
No it means God lives "inside" of you, and you are his temple in which he resides, "inside" of you, not outside... It is God inside of you who responds to your questions or reasonings inside of you, answers them, all answers come from God... The next time you ask yourself a question you can't answer at the moment, and then later it just pops into your head, that is God...

Upvote 0

Mountain_Girl406

Supporter
Jul 9, 2015
✟144,014.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
No it means God lives "inside" of you, and you are his temple in which he resides, "inside" of you, not outside... It is God inside of you who responds to your questions or reasonings inside of you, answers them, all answers come from God... The next time you ask yourself a question you can't answer at the moment, and then later it just pops into your head, that is God...
Even if the answer is to do something God wouldn't approve of?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟948,734.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Perhaps your a non-believer and say you just had a confrontation with your friend Suzie, and some words were said that you regret, and in your car, on your way home, you just say aloud, "Perhaps I shouldn't have been so hard on Suzie, she has many fine qualities and I love her, but the way she acted, ect. ect. and you go on self-reasoning aloud about it, you are not just talking to or reasoning with yourself, you are talking to God...

Just an example

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟948,734.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Who gives those answers then?
Satan...

I have some experience with voices so I will tell you one way to tell if he (satan) is answering you, or God...

Satan's voice will always come "outside" of you and he keeps some distance between you and him (about five or ten yards) God's voice will speak as if there's someone standing right next to you, or inside of you...

Satan does go around speaking to people also, so you have to use discernment, ask yourself, "Is this really God's will, or not" and discern..

God Bless!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mountain_Girl406

Supporter
Jul 9, 2015
✟144,014.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
So Satan and God both live in a person's head, and take turns giving answers? Does the person themselves have any presence in there?

Upvote 0

Mountain_Girl406

Supporter
Jul 9, 2015
✟144,014.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Perhaps your a non-believer and say you just had a confrontation with your friend Suzie, and some words were said that you regret, and in your car, on your way home, you just say aloud, "Perhaps I shouldn't have been so hard on Suzie, she has many fine qualities and I love her, but the way she acted, ect. ect. and you go on self-reasoning aloud about it, you are not just talking to or reasoning with yourself, you are talking to God...

Just an example

God Bless!
But if you conclude that you were right and Suzie was acting like a jerk, that's Satan?

Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟310,184.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I believe it was God,

When we say out loud or write down our thoughts we reprocess said thoughts; we can then take a different point of view on them and generate different conclusions.

This is part of what makes psychotherapy work. For example in cbt keeping thought records is frequently used and in person centred counselling discussing one's thoughts plays a similar role.

Positive self talk (what you appear to be discussing) in also useful in reducing the impact self referential depressive rumination.

The next time you ask yourself a question you can't answer at the moment, and then later it just pops into your head, that is God...

Or it took you a little moment to generate a solution.

I don't know that it has anything to do with God.

Reactions: Chris B
Upvote 0