To end the confusion-is this a good prayer to end the confusion?

Lik3

Nov 21, 2011
South Carolina
✟94,571.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
every%2Bknee%2Bshall%2Bbow.jpg

Lord Jesus,

In the very end, every knee shall bow down to You. I believe that if Santa were real, then it would include him as well. Lately, I find myself questioning and being interested in how I should celebrate Christmas if at all. Should I even bother to celebrate it because of its pagan origins? Does it even matter? There is no Christmas in the Bible, but Your Birth is. I get that there is no comparison, but if it is a pagan celebration then how did Christmas become a holy day observed by Christians everywhere, including myself. If I am not supposed to celebrate it, then how should I bide my time on that day? How should I be a witness to others on this time of the year? How did a day that has so many pagan origins become Christianized I guess? Have I been deceived? How and when should I truly commemorate Your life. death, and resurrection? By the way, when exactly were You born out of curiosity? I am thankful that You answer prayer. I give You thinks, O Holy One, in Your name,
Amen.

DawnStar

Pragmatist
Nov 27, 2014
✟37,814.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Private
Before you tie yourself up in knots about this ask yourself a question.

Did Jesus tell or command us to celebrate his birthday? It is a man made holiday not a biblical one. I am not saying that you should or should not celebrate it. I celebrate it. I am just saying keep it in context.

Reactions: Lik3
Upvote 0

AnneY

Aug 19, 2015
Midwest
✟123,186.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I personally celebrate Christmas three ways:

1. Focus on Christ's birth - even though I teach lessons on this topic throughout the year, it's always good to set aside a day to focus solely on that point, Jesus could have come to earth as a fully grown man, but he chose to humble Himself and come into this world the same way we all did. He experienced everything we experience, from birth to death.

2. Focus on my family - Similar to Thanksgiving, the togetherness and love of family.

3. Have fun with friends/Co-workers/students - Church/school/work Christmas programs, parties, gift-giving, etc. Christmas is a time of joy, happiness, and fun, it doesn't have to be solemn, defensive, or war-like. This so-called, ridiculous "war on Christmas" that some Christians claim is happening is sapping the love, joy, and fun out of the holiday and turning Christians into more of a laughing-stock than we already are in the eyes of the world.

There has never been any confusion for me about Christmas. I celebrate the three things I listed above, others celebrate/focus on different things. Some choose to include Santa in the festivities (yes, even some Christians - because it's fun, there is no worship of Santa - and yes, the real men the now-fictional Santa was based on will kneel before Jesus), and some don't. Some choose to decorate/have a tree, some don't. Ever since I was a child, I was told the truth about Santa, and the truth of what the spirit of Christmas is all about. Love of others, rather than self. In my opinion, we Christians need to get back to the basics and start showing others the love of God instead of forcing/shaming others to conform to their idea of Christmas.

I personally think that everyone should be able to choose to celebrate or not celebrate Christmas however they wish, and not worry about being shamed or forced to say "Merry Christmas", or whatever other shenanigans some Christians like to force on other Christians (and non-Christians).

end rant.

Upvote 0