twinkle2304

Apr 14, 2014
✟7,615.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What are the rules for tithing? Do you believe tithing was just an old testament law and do you think it still applies? What if it is a struggle to give 10% of your income to the church every month? Is there a differnce if people give out of obligation as opposed to giving because that is what they want to do? Also what is the difference if I give that 10% to the church as opposed to a christian homeless shelter? Then I know exactly where the money is going and helping the less fortunate, as Jesus commanded.

Last edited:

ALEA40

Nov 22, 2013
NC
✟8,167.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have to say that I really enjoyed the article written here:

Exposing The Tithe Lie

Try to read down to the Flipside of the Tithe if you get a chance too.

Our family does not tithe 10% (yet). Since I am a new believer and my husband is not a believer it just is not possible at this point in time. I donate my time and effort to church projects, local christian initiatives and I help children with special needs. I try not to be attached to "things" and always look for ways to give my time/love/talents/stuff away. I could see at some point in my life giving much more than 10% to church/charities/special projects/mission work. It really comes from the heart.

Upvote 0

standingtall

Such is life....
Jan 5, 2012
✟1,535.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Since "tithe" is from the Old English "tēothe" meaning "tenth", it is not based on the New Testament.

There are no New Testament commands telling believers to give a specific amount of their earnings to any local congregations, so if you are led to give from your heart to organizations which support the poor, sick or homeless instead, you should feel no guilt.

Don't let those who interpret the bible to suit their own purposes tell you any different.

As a previous poster said, those who do "tithe" aren't doing wrong - but they just aren't commanded to do so.

Upvote 0

Bobinator

Jul 30, 2007
✟11,899.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Christians are not obligated to old testament law of tithing which was mainly to support the levitical priesthood under the Law of Moses.

Seems like you ignored or didn't read my earlier post. The tithe was part of the Old Testament Law, but it didn't start there. If it doesn't apply to us then who was the Prophet Malachi writing for, since he was the last known prophet of the Old Testament before Jesus came.

On another note, like Standingtall said, "tithe" means "a tenth". So you're either tithing or you're not.

1Corin.9 says, "[13] Do ye not know that they which minister about holy things live of the things of the temple? and they which wait at the alter are partakers with the alter?[14] Even so hath the Lord ordained that they which preach the gospel should live of the gospel.

If no one's tithing, how will ministers live of the temple? Was Paul speaking of the past?

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
it's actually and unfortunately against the rules, i think, to answer your question in this thread, and in most threads on this site. (maybe it can be answered somewhere without breaking the rules. if so, please re-direct this there. thank you.)

key word search in Bible that will answer the question: "work"

Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Let Your Light Shine.. Matt 5:16
Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟903,022.00
Faith
Christian
Seems like you ignored or didn't read my earlier post. The tithe was part of the Old Testament Law, but it didn't start there. If it doesn't apply to us then who was the Prophet Malachi writing for, since he was the last known prophet of the Old Testament before Jesus came.

On another note, like Standingtall said, "tithe" means "a tenth". So you're either tithing or you're not.

1Corin.9 says, "[13] Do ye not know that they which minister about holy things live of the things of the temple? and they which wait at the alter are partakers with the alter?[14] Even so hath the Lord ordained that they which preach the gospel should live of the gospel.

If no one's tithing, how will ministers live of the temple? Was Paul speaking of the past?
The prophet was an old testament prophet under the Law talking to a nation under the Law. There is no precedent in the New Testament for Christians to tithe.... NONE. The Council of Jerusalem said no Law of Moses and all that stuff which included the tithe

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tremble

^.^/
Feb 15, 2014
✟16,927.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Ok here's my tenth of a cent. Jesus talked about a new way of living, so much so that we would need to be "born again" in order to appreciate it. He said we should become like little children.

I believe this is because little children are much more open and flexible to learning/trying new things and Jesus was definitely teaching new things.

In the past, it may have been fine to give 10%, but Jesus said that he came to fulfill the law. He said that now, God expects everything; 100%.

Jesus and his followers lived communally. They forsook all and shared what they had in common. They traveled around together and taught other people to follow this new way of life, too.

Jesus didn't teach that some people should work for money to give tithes to his ministry. He taught everyone to follow his own example. Remember WWJD?

Upvote 0

twinkle2304

Apr 14, 2014
✟7,615.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
it's actually and unfortunately against the rules, i think, to answer your question in this thread, and in most threads on this site. (maybe it can be answered somewhere without breaking the rules. if so, please re-direct this there. thank you.)

key word search in Bible that will answer the question: "work"

May I ask why it is against the rules (guess I need to read up on the rules again). Where would be the appropritate place to discuss this?

Upvote 0

Bramwell

Oct 24, 2012
✟8,411.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
According to the Bible, our heart is always with our money. (Luke 12:34) That truth holds powerful implications for us to consider.

I too agree that tithing 10% is an Old Testament tradition. It's not commanded as such in the New Testament.

Having said that, I'm surprised to hear what's being suggested as an alternative. I hear believers on this very thread saying they love God, but they can't even give God ten percent of what they have; they want to give Him even less! Where does God fit into the list of priorities with that equation?!

I like what Tremble said about God wanting everything now. Remember the first Christians - they sold all their possession, and shared everything in common. (Acts 2:44-45) That's what you call 100%, total commitment to Christ.

Giving God the leftovers, however, can hardly be called "loving" the Lord with your whole heart. It's called being lukewarm - something Jesus hates even more than outright atheism. (Revelation 3:15-16)

Something to consider.

Upvote 0

charles1014

May 3, 2014
Home
✟15,235.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Abraham operated under the Law of Faith. He started the tithe. Jacob continued the practice. Both came before the Old Testament Law was even established.
Why did Abraham tithe? Does the Bible tell us why he gave that tenth? What was the purpose of his tithe? Was it to teach us tithing or did it have a greater purpose?

Jacob's vow to tithe; did he ever keep it? Should our giving be based upon his example? Lord, if I win the lottery, I will give my pastor 10% of all I make. Lord, you get me out of debt and keep me out of debt, and I'll give my pastor 10% of all I make.

Obviously, you really don't know much about Abraham's tithe nor Jacob's vow to tithe.

There is nothing in Abraham's tithe to Melchizedek that even remotely resembles the type of tithing that pastors in churches are promoting today. God even chose not to even record a motive as to why he gave the tithe. For all we know it was because of some crazy custom or tax that they had during that day. We have no clue and so we can only speculate or assume, and both of which are not great foundational premises on which to base "Sound" doctrine.

God refers back to Abraham's tithe several times throughout Scripture; first in Psalm 110:4 and then in Hebrews 5, 6, and 7. Every reference to the event was in regards to Jesus Christ being our High Priest after the order of Melchizedek. In other words, God's emphasis is not on the tithe but what the tithe accomplished. This event was not recorded so that God could establish a system that would benefit Him, but instead to benefit us. Man needed salvation. We know that we needed Christ to be our perfect sacrifice for our sin, but God also knew that we needed a perfect Priest to make the offering as well. Jesus could not be our high priest after the order of Aaron, He needed to be after a greater order and so God created the perfect type of order through Melchizedek and the tithe was simply the tool used to do so.

Abraham gave only one tithe because that was all that God needed in order to set up Melchizedek as a type of Christ. Abraham also gave this tithe before he had any children, therefore according to Hebrews chapter 7, all of his offspring paid this tithe as well. Now, since Abraham was not saved when he gave this tithe, all Christians as well paid this tithe also. You see, Abraham was not saved in chapter 14 during this event, it was in chapter 15, Abraham was saved and therefore all of Abraham's spiritual seed as well paid this tithe to Melchizedek. Do you understand we too paid this tithe to Melchizedek through our father Abraham?

Jacob's vow to tithe had no ramifications on the Christian, because Christians are not and never will be considered the children of Israel or the children of Jacob. That honor falls on the Jews who are still alive and well today. When Jacob vowed to tithe from the land of that God gave him, he set his children up to pay it, because Jacob could not keep the vow since he never took possession of the land that God had just promised him in his dream. Since his children were not yet born, they were still yet in his loins and therefore were obligated to pay the tithe from the inheritance.

God later gave the tithe to the Levite. It was now theirs as part of their inheritance. As long as the Jew is in the Land of Israel, they are obligated to pay the tithe to the Levite. The problem today is that, no Jew knows what tribe they actually belong to. One day that will be sorted out and the tithe will once again be re-instituted back in their land.

The Levite was the only people in the world that was given a commandment to collect a tithe from a people. Not your pastor, not your church, not one single person alive today. All of the tithe that is from the Land of Israels belongs to God and in turn belongs to the Levite. Since we are not farming any of the land of Israel, no tithe is required.

God gave us another commandment and that was to love one another. Our giving is based upon meeting others needs as they are laid upon our hearts by the Holy Spirit of God.

Upvote 0