1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting after you have posted 20 posts and have received 5 likes.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tithing on inheritance money

Discussion in 'Christian Philosophy & Ethics' started by HEisGoodalways, Apr 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tithing on inheritance money

Should we tithe on money given to us from our parents[inheritance] or just on our income?

2. drich0150

drich0150 Regular Member

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Republican
    Faith:
    Non-Denominational
    Tithe what your heart tells you god doesn't want your money if you don't want to freely give it.. Remember the two mida given buy the old woman was worth more to god than the riches the pharisees gave.. There isn't a set scriptural amount on "inheritance.." So it will be up to you.

If it were me I'd give according to the increase. (the money left after the estate is settled) any unpaid bills, funeral expences, that sort of thing.

3. Autumnleaf

Autumnleaf Legend

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Charismatic
    Tithe was traditionally for the poor. Now we pay tons of taxes to support the poor. I wouldn't tithe any of it.

4. WhiteWillow

WhiteWillow Busy motherhood takes priority!

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Lutheran
    I agree,tithe with what your heart tells you.

5. ladyt28

ladyt28 God's Grace Fills My Life

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Democrat
    Faith:
    Baptist
    The following is just the way I feel about it for myself, take from it what you want: Everything we have is from God. I do my best to give back what I can - tithing money, time, effort. Nothing I have is really "mine" so much as a gift given to use wisely - I want to share it back with God.

6. omojesu

omojesu Newbie

Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Pentecostal
    See the inheritance money as capital, work with the capital, grow it, increase it and tithe from the increase/profit. You don't tithe your entire "farm" you only give a tenth of it as tithe. Get my drift?

7. phoenixgw

phoenixgw New Member

Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Christian
    Did either you or your wife have anything to do with your parents' deaths?
    If so, by all means, give a 10th of your earnings to the Lord as firstfruits of your labours out of gratitude.

You suffered loss, not gain. This is a time for oblation, not sacrifice. Read the link below to understand the distinction. Not everything is about money, Insurance Man.
    http://home.earthlink.net/~lionlamb/SACRIFIC.HTM

Last edited: Jun 27, 2008
  8. Johnnz

Johnnz Senior Veteran

Marital Status:
    Widow/Widower
    Faith:
    Christian
    The choice is yours. We are under no obligation to tithe. The only command to tithe was in the Mosaic law (Old Covenant). Most churches won't tell you that though. Read the most extensive section on giving in the NT is 2 Corinthians 8-9. You won't find mention if tithe there, only a challenge to determine from within what you want to give.

Bless you
    John

9. heron

heron Legend

Marital Status:
    In Relationship
    Faith:
    Christian
    Tithe of your increase.

When I get unexpected income, I do something creative with the tithe -- give to friends in missions, a shelter, or someone that I know needs temporary support ... you might even think of what the deceased people would have liked. I don't think a tithe has to go to a religious organization, because the original tithe was distributed to community programs as well as priests. (Think soup kitchens, volunteer ambulance...) If you are worried about where God's borders are, ask Him.

Consider that you have to live with yourself, and start from there. Pray about where you might give, and an idea will probably come clearly and immediately (or maybe it hasn't).

A donation is a tax write-off anyway, in a year that could put you in another bracket, so it's not like you're losing the entire ten percent.

The reason to give is not to fulfill an obligation. It is a wonderful thing to have enough that you can help others out with your resources.

10. MyBlueDog

MyBlueDog Newbie

Faith:
    Methodist
    Both.

11. jadekap

jadekap New Member

Faith:
    Christian
    "A gift of money is the best gift to give. It gives you an opportunity to give where you see fit."

A high school science teacher of mine had a quote similar to this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.