Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,365.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Tithing is not in the New Testament.

When a church starts talking tithing as an obligation rather than a donation based on prayer and if God leads one to give, then look closely at that church because it was an Old Covenant practice under a no longer existing covenant.

If your pastor does not know this or is not faithfully sharing God's Word in context he either is a false teacher or not very Biblically knowledgeable and should not be teaching.

Upvote 0

AvgJoe

Member since 2005
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2005
Texas
✟332,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
I heard some pastors say that tithe is for the Jews and God, the OT covenant.
For NT christians, you give money with thankful heart, it is not a rule that you must give 10%.
To a widow with children, 10% is too much for her.

According to the New Testament, paying a tithe is not compulsory. It doesn't even have to be a tithe, 1/10.

2 Corinthians 9:6-8 says;

6 But this I say: He who sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and he who sows bountifully will also reap bountifully. 7 So let each one give as he purposes in his heart, not grudgingly or of necessity; for God loves a cheerful giver. 8 And God isable to make all grace abound toward you, that you, always having all sufficiency in allthings, may have an abundance for every good work.

For more in depth on giving, click here~~~> http://www.gotquestions.org/tithing-Christian.html , http://www.gotquestions.org/Malachi-tithing.html &http://www.gotquestions.org/tithing-debt.html .

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,106,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
For NT christians, you give money with thankful heart, it is not a rule that you must give 10%.
It depends on how much the widow has as an income, some are very rich and others are not. Some father lead families have less than a rich widow.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,106,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Ohh... I wonder what they call them overseas.

It's a shop that sells mostly or entirely second-hand goods that have been donated. Often they're run by charities, staffed by volunteers, and as well as selling things at a very affordable price, might do things like, for example, outfit a homeless person for a job interview at no cost. And the funds raised go to the church or charity that runs the shop. For some churches, running such a shop is the difference between closing and staying open.
One of the churches that I attended had a second hand shop.

Upvote 0

Jesus_is_Saint

Sep 4, 2016
Malaysia
✟47,272.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
My church has a sundry shop, selling grocery at lower than market price to single parents who have low income.
The support of the sundry shop depends on the money of offering.
I think offering of money to Church is compulsory for Christians who really appreciate the grace of God, this is the way we show loves to our brothers/sisters in Christ and God Himself.

Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is true that no church can force you to tithe. But many take that as a excuse not to. But its all up to the person if they want to ignore the Word or not. I doubt not tithing will send you to hell. But I can promise you your life will be a bit easier if you do. God will provide better since your giving in good faith.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,365.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I've heard statistics that 12% roughly of the church tithes and makes up for the other 88% that do not.

Nothing wrong with tithing. I think it is a good thing.

Just don't let a church or preacher tell you you have to. That is a BIG SIGN not to go to that church.

Upvote 0

Kit Sigmon

May 18, 2016
USA
✟76,189.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship

Seriously, back in the day....My mom(poor)... even after she was widowed tithed(she not required to do that) and she had three minor children... tithing not be a burden on us and nor should it be something that is used to beat people over the head(some minister be bad about that)...the New Testament is one of Grace...Jesus' abundant love and blessings.

My mom...She made like four hundred dollars a month back then (1970s)...she happily gave money, clothing and food items to the church and she even cleaned the church...this all make up her tithe to the church. Our church had a food pantry and a clothing bin for those in need, there was no charge for any of that.

I remember the times when my work was slack...I'd make like eighty dollars for the week... didn't hurt me to give eight dollars at church....I gave according to what I made. When I didn't have money, I donated food items, clothing and personal time....somebody got to clean the church...help out in the nursery etc.

Church buildings(upkeep) and ministers are to be provided for by believers...it seems strange to me that church people nowadays are quick to say "no" to tithing...when very few of them... or none of them will work for free at the church they regularly attend and knowing good and well that they church needs Sunday school teachers, office workers etc.... but hardly nobody will donate they time without getting paid....no siree! to get believers to work in the church, they gotta be paid???? that's how believers show they love for the Lord...sad.
Many of them got no problem "donating" many hours each day to playing they computer games, Facebooking, hanging out with friends/socializing for hours on end day after day etc.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jesus_is_Saint

Sep 4, 2016
Malaysia
✟47,272.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
2 Corinth 9:6
Remember this: Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows generously will also reap generously.

Some pastors quote this to ask members to give "more money" to Church so that God will bless you with more money than what was given by you,
is this teaching correct?

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟379,648.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
We should not let the pastor and his family starving.
I think, in Malaysia, a pastor should get:
1. a car bought by church for him to use, with free petrol.
2. a salary of RM5000 (USD 1200)
3. rent a house for him or, if he buys his own house, subsidize him RM500 (USD 120) to pay for his installment.
I've heard it argued that a full-time pastor's salary should match a public school teacher's in that same community.

Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,019,860.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
2 Corinth 9:6
Remember this: Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows generously will also reap generously.

Some pastors quote this to ask members to give "more money" to Church so that God will bless you with more money than what was given by you,
is this teaching correct?

No, we don't give money so God blesses us with more money. That particular reason for giving is wrong.

Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,019,860.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
In my diocese they've pegged our stipend at something like 80% of the average wage, which seems reasonable when you take into account that we are also usually housed.

That's similar to the model we follow.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,450,958.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A lot of churches in the united states are modeled this way also. Like a "business". And that's how they are run.
And everyone can see this.
A church is not a business, a church is supposed to be a body. A congregation would be better run like a military unit than like a business.

Upvote 0