Visit site
✟735.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
:preach: I hope you all heard that Tim Costello - CEO World Vision - got stuck into Howard and Peter Costello last week. John Howard has reneged on his promise to commit Australia to the Millennium Development Goals by contributing 0.7% of GNI. He's only willing to commit 0.35% - pathetic. :mad:

Labor on the other hand has committed to 0.5% - still below 0.7% but much better than Liberals. Btw, Labor has only shifted due to the Micah Challenge group that went to Parliament this year (and of which I was a part).

On the basis of this issue and world poverty alone, not a single Christian in this country should vote Liberal. Howard must go - he been lying for 11 and a half years. This final insult - withholding money, which he promised, from the world's poor - show what a hypocritical Christian he is. :mad:

Roll on 24 November . . . :preach:

SemperFidelis

Mean, angry Traditionalist
Jul 30, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
✟9,082.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Liberals
Whilst that is certainly disapointing if true, the problem is that if you really wanted to, you could take any politcial party and find a reason why all Christians should vote against them. It would be nice to have a perfect party to vote for, but it's not going to happen.

Blessings,
:crossrc:
Steve

Upvote 0

misfitforfaith

Oct 30, 2007
✟228.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
:cool: Fair enough, However charity starts at home you know.There is alot of hidden poverty in Australia which the mainstream media simply fails to report on since it is not newsworthy enough for them for various politically correct reasons.
I also think missionary work starts here in the west also there far too many lazy churches that no longer do any evangelising or missionary work in public any more maybe they need to start as shortly the west wont have much reason to call itself christian anything very soon!.:preach:

Upvote 0

Macca

Veteran
Feb 25, 2004
Frankston North
✟9,640.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Liberals
:preach: I hope you all heard that Tim Costello - CEO World Vision - got stuck into Howard and Peter Costello last week. John Howard has reneged on his promise to commit Australia to the Millennium Development Goals by contributing 0.7% of GNI. He's only willing to commit 0.35% - pathetic. :mad:

Labor on the other hand has committed to 0.5% - still below 0.7% but much better than Liberals. Btw, Labor has only shifted due to the Micah Challenge group that went to Parliament this year (and of which I was a part).

On the basis of this issue and world poverty alone, not a single Christian in this country should vote Liberal. Howard must go - he been lying for 11 and a half years. This final insult - withholding money, which he promised, from the world's poor - show what a hypocritical Christian he is. :mad:

Roll on 24 November . . . :preach:
There are more important issues to look at in the election campaign.
What is the stand on gays? What about abortion? Euthanasia?
Surely these things, at home, are important to Christian voters
:preach:

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
And its far more imporant that we try and prevent gay people having sex than we try to do something about the millions dying daily from lack of safe water and basic food and shelter.

Upvote 0

tigercub

unbelievably fluffy
Site Supporter
May 8, 2006
Brisbane
Visit site
✟27,814.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married

Considering I'm not gay, not planning an abortion and definitely not planning on euthanising myself...not really. You see, we as Christians have no right to enforce the rules of our faith on others. Nor do politicians.

ebia said:
And its far more imporant that we try and prevent gay people having sex than we try to do something about the millions dying daily from lack of safe water and basic food and shelter.

Don't forget stopping homosexuals from teaching in our schools or adopting children
wagfingerpl2.gif

Way more important than world poverty.

:doh:

Upvote 0

John Spong is wrong

Feb 13, 2005
Perth
Visit site
✟735.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
Considering I'm not gay, not planning an abortion and definitely not planning on euthanising myself...not really. You see, we as Christians have no right to enforce the rules of our faith on others. Nor do politicians.

Don't forget stopping homosexuals from teaching in our schools or adopting children
wagfingerpl2.gif

Way more important than world poverty.

:doh:
Great post TigerCub! :thumbsup:

You only need to look at the Religious Right in the US with their extreme agenda and the havoc they've wreaked. Hillary Clinton for President in 2008.

Btw, your tagline is fantastic:

the greatest single cause of atheism in the world today
is christians who acknowledge Jesus with their lips
then walk out the door and deny him by their lifestyle.
that is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable

Reactions: tigercub
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

John Spong is wrong

Feb 13, 2005
Perth
Visit site
✟735.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
It's not only Liberal politicians who lie I'm sure that Labour lie as well.

Also world poverty is not the only issue that I will consider when voting. I'm not saying I don't think it's important there are other issues to consider.
Labor has never lied about the role it is prepared to play in combating world poverty.

As for 'other issues', yes there are other issues to consider but surely lowering world poverty must rank near the top of the list? Too many Christians (not that I'm insinuating that you're one of them) vote like the world votes - tuned into WII FM (what's in it for me?). Tim Costello has said that Howard's failure to do his bit to halve world poverty by 2015 should be a 'make-or-break' issue for churchgoing voters.

In any case, I think it behooves us all to get rid of the most cunning, the most manipulative, the most scheming, the most untrustworthy, the most devious, the most uncharitable (don't forget he refused compensation to victims of the Bali bombing :mad: ), the most warmongering (how Australia voted in a war criminal in 2004 is beyond me :scratch: ), the most right-wing, and above all the most divisive leader this country has ever seen. :sick:

Upvote 0

norbie

Veteran
Jan 23, 2007
✟9,654.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
In any case, I think it behooves us all to get rid of the most cunning, the most manipulative, the most scheming, the most untrustworthy, the most devious, the most uncharitable (don't forget he refused compensation to victims of the Bali bombing :mad: ), the most warmongering (how Australia voted in a war criminal in 2004 is beyond me :scratch: ), the most right-wing, and above all the most divisive leader this country has ever seen. :sick:[/quote]

Amen to this!

Upvote 0
May 21, 2007
Australia
✟17,094.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single

Just want to point out - what about Oaktree and the Make Poverty History's coalition's roadtrip and all the behind the scenes work that they did?

Upvote 0

charlie_hunter

Mar 13, 2006
✟1,285.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
i think you'd be happier living in America, why not move there?

Poverty alone is bigger then all those concerns put together. those issues are used by political parties to draw attention away from econonomic issues such as poverty, which is what really matters.

Upvote 0

Anduril

Jan 16, 2005
✟725.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Gays and abortion are serious problems in Australia just as much as in America. Much more so than poverty which only affects a small potion of the community here as we are very well off compared to some other less fortunate countries around the world. If you want to see real poverty go to places like Africa where people live on less than a dollar a day.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Gays and abortion are serious problems in Australia just as much as in America.
I can't say I've found gays to be a serious problem at all.

Much more so than poverty which only affects a small potion of the community here as we are very well off compared to some other less fortunate countries around the world.
It affects a very large proportion of the indigenous community to an extreme extent.

If you want to see real poverty go to places like Africa where people live on less than a dollar a day.
Which is why poverty around the world should be an issue in this election.

Upvote 0

misfitforfaith

Oct 30, 2007
✟228.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Gays and abortion are serious problems in Australia just as much as in America.
:confused: So are pedophiles and closet gays that hide in churches are actually homophobic themselves because they are conservatives that wont admit it and would rather ruin any church than be honest and out themselves and their tendencies.

It affects a very large proportion of the indigenous community to an extreme extent.
:scratch: Exactly, there has also been a significant enough local underclass in all Australian states which mainstream conservative Australia fails to recognise because it is not juicy or sexy enough sounding in academic pc circles. This has been a reality right through the 1990s to the present (not letting P Keating off the hook here either) and will only increase under Howard's IR style laws.:scratch:

Upvote 0

Anduril

Jan 16, 2005
✟725.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
misfitforfaith said:
:confused: So are pedophiles and closet gays that hide in churches are actually homophobic themselves because they are conservatives that wont admit it and would rather ruin any church than be honest and out themselves and their tendencies.
Thanks for helping to prove my point. Homosexual behaviour has even been a serious problem within churches.

:scratch: Exactly, there has also been a significant enough local underclass in all Australian states which mainstream conservative Australia fails to recognise because it is not juicy or sexy enough sounding in academic pc circles. This has been a reality right through the 1990s to the present (not letting P Keating off the hook here either) and will only increase under Howard's IR style laws.:scratch:
Would this so called "underclass" you speak of consist of people living on less than a dollar a day? I think they would be quite rich compared to people living in places like Africa. Who is the "underclass" now?

Along with your other posts you come across as the sort of person that is resentful of others who have worked hard and enjoy a higher standard of living. People who studied hard through school and university and have successful careers.

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Thanks for helping to prove my point. Homosexual behaviour has even been a serious problem within churches.
Do people keep trying to have sex in your church or something?

What is the problem with homosexuals you seem to be having? Have you been to the police?

Upvote 0

misfitforfaith

Oct 30, 2007
✟228.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Would this so called "underclass" you speak of consist of people living on less than a dollar a day? I think they would be quite rich compared to people living in places like Africa. Who is the "underclass" now?
Why does it always boil down to some competition between the really poverty stricken and the poor enough in western nations with a poor quality of life or standard of living in comparison to the majority.
No poverty in our world is good so to make some kind of competition out of it seems to indicate how much you regard the question not with compassion or social justice but with a kind of jealousy competition between the the extremely poor and the poor enough in the west who mind you are very much the same people in the end especially if they end up migrating to Australia like many refugees do.

Along with your other posts you come across as the sort of person that is resentful of others who have worked hard and enjoy a higher standard of living. People who studied hard through school and university and have successful careers.
:confused: Yes i make no apology for that its called the school of hard knocks something that you have obviously never been through i have struggled all my adult life with poverty and quality of life related issues.
As you probably already know or should know most truly disenfranchised and leftwing people resent those higher on the economic class dung heap otherwise we wouldn't have politics at all would we nor religion all something which should be an obvious fact of life.:cool:

Upvote 0