Time Magazine, Tavis Smiley: Why I Fear America Could Enslave Black People Again

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟864,468.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
And later in the same article Tavis says "So, could the Constitution be thwarted and black folk end up enslaved again? Legal scholars, of course, will find the question ludicrous and laughable."

That of course means Tavis' answer was ludicrous and laughable. And apparently he knew it, and said it anyway.
^_^:tutu::swoon:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ChristsSoldier115

Mabaho na Kuya
Jul 30, 2013
The greatest state in the Union: Ohio
✟26,502.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
trump literally said the other day that he wanted to return the constitution to what the founders intended it to be. and he's a major party candidate.
I wonder how limited would it be for voters, because didn't you have to own land to vote in those days? A lot of people rent.

Upvote 0

Sistrin

We are such stuff as dreams are made on...
Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2012
Location Location Location
✟197,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Tavis Smiley has made a career as a third rate race hustler, promoting irrational and irresponsible theories, like that detailed in the OP, while simultaneously revealing himself to be guilty of the soft bigotry and/or racism he constantly accuses others of.

Smiley has an established track record of promoting this type of lunacy, of promoting the ideal that America is a racist nation and there is a white racist behind every tree and behind every badge just waiting to get themselves a black man. This most recent idiocy is standard, preposterous on its face, and nothing more than fear-mongering proffered in an effort to keep himself relevant.

Smiley stated his belief the 2012 elections would be "the most racist in the history of this Republic." But then later revealed he ascribes to the standard liberal/progressive trope that black people are incapable of taking care of themselves without the benevolent help of their government masters. Promoting separatist attitudes was a staple of his show on NPR, to include the notion black students should attend black only schools. He faulted Michele Norris of NPR as not being "the blackest voice" they could have hired. If you actually listen to the guy he reveals himself rather quickly as just another race-hustler, as I said fear-mongering in an attempt to keep himself relevant.

When asked such a ridiculous question, if Smiley possessed any true intellectual honesty he would have told the student just that, how incredibly stupid that question was and he should have been ashamed to even ask it. Could America return to the Democratic policy and institution of slavery. Is there anyone here who truly believes that would be allowed to happen, or that the American people at large would even desire such a thing?

I realize the answer to that question is yes, but those who would answer in such a manner really need to reexamine themselves as opposed to transferring their innate racial bigotry onto someone else. Which is all the VOX article does. Some white kids are holding a Trump sign, therefore they must be racist.

Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I agree with the author of the article, we could use some clarity on "Make America Great Again!"
People don't say it because they worry about the PC police, but slavery gets stuff done
SLAVERY1.jpg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟492,188.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

VanillaSunflowers

Black Lives Don't Matter More Than Any Other Life
Jul 26, 2016
DE
✟18,570.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
【“Mr. Smiley, do you believe that given the crisis state of our democracy, we black folk could ever find ourselves enslaved again?”

Whoa. Didn’t see that one coming. Neither did the mostly white audience. A quiet fell over the room. I swallowed hard.

Looking directly at the student, I could see he was dead serious, and I wanted to treat his question with the soberness it deserved. But, truthfully, I stumbled as I began to respond, not knowing how to properly frame my response.

My answer? Yes.】

http://time.com/4535292/donald-trump-black-slaves/

Well, that bit of nonsense in my view just skewed any credibility Smiley has.

I know television personalities can be boldly partisan to the point it is impossible to take them seriously as an impartial journalist.
In the case of Smiley's screed there, he's so far off the rails to go on the track of the never-Trump campaign that he's made a fool of himself as an ignoramus and for all time. Being this article will always be archived on the net and at Time.
As a black woman I'm embarrassed for him.

• Useful
Reactions: 777Sloan
Upvote 0