Threshold covenant

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,802.44
Faith
Messianic
I decided to post a thread on it after seeing it mentioned in another thread.

"Threshold" In some verses in the bible, the term "cup" is used. The Hebrew word for "cup" is "saf" (Sawf)

H5605 a sense of containing; a vestibule (as a limit); also a dish (for holding blood or wine): - a bason, bowl, cup, door (as in doorpost), gate, post, or a THRESHOLD.
Zechariah 12:2 Behold, I will make Jerusalem a cup of trembling unto all the people round about, when they shall be in the siege both against Judah and against Jerusalem.
It is used in the verse as cup but what if we replace the word "cup" with "door"... Now we have a door of trembling. Now I ask you how can Jerusalem be both a "door" and "trembling"? and the next questions is Why? I say it is because it is the focal point of controversy. Jerusalem is the anointed place where Messiah will reign, and where God has placed His Name. It is the threshold of His "House of Prayer".

Another example I saw dealing with this "The Threshold Covenant" is found in the Passover where God made a covenant with all who put the blood of a lamb at the threshold of the door. Jerusalem is the threshold of God where the covenant is made with all nations, and Yeshua's blood was shed at that "threshold" to regather us back to His covenant? "for God so loved the world that He gave His only Begotten Son,...."

For those that do not know what a threshold is, it is the bottom part of your doors that people step over to enter into your homes. You always need to be careful as to who gets their foot in the door. In Eastern culture, trample and stomp on the threshold of a person's home is considered worse than cursing at your neighbor.
Hebrews 10:26-29 For if we sin willfully after we have received the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins, but a certain fearful expectation of judgment, and fiery indignation which will devour the adversaries. Anyone who has rejected Moses’ law dies without mercy on the testimony of two or three witnesses. Of how much worse punishment, do you suppose, will he be thought worthy who has TRAMPLED (stomped) the Son of God underfoot, counted the BLOOD OF THE COVENANT by which he was sanctified a common thing, and insulted the Spirit of grace?
Hebrews warns us about what happened to Israel in the desert.
Hebrews 4:2 For indeed the gospel was preached to us as well as to them; but the word which they heard did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in those who heard it.
They had the same gospel preached to them as we do regarding our Redeemer. They had the same Word of God. The same message. How many have thought that we had a new gospel in the New Testament? They did not have the faith to carry out the Word of God, for if they really had faith, they would have done the Word of God. We who have faith, who have believed, then enter that rest….
Hebrews 4:3 For we who have believed do enter that rest, as He has said: “ So I swore in My wrath, ‘ They shall not enter My rest,’” although the works were finished from the foundation of the world.
This is God's threshold.

pinacled

walking with the Shekinah
Apr 29, 2015
United states
✟171,798.77
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
70 and 2
Well said sis.

4"Carry no money belt, no bag, no shoes; and greet no one on the way. 5"Whatever house you enter, first say, 'Peace be to this house.' 6"If a man of peace is there, your peace will rest on him; but if not, it will return to you.…

15 And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace;

Last edited:
Upvote 0

sahjimira

God of miracles.. He saved ME!
Jul 29, 2015
Florida
✟18,595.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I decided to post a thread on it after seeing it mentioned in another thread.

"Threshold" In some verses in the bible, the term "cup" is used. The Hebrew word for "cup" is "saf" (Sawf)

H5605 a sense of containing; a vestibule (as a limit); also a dish (for holding blood or wine): - a bason, bowl, cup, door (as in doorpost), gate, post, or a THRESHOLD.

It is used in the verse as cup but what if we replace the word "cup" with "door"... Now we have a door of trembling. Now I ask you how can Jerusalem be both a "door" and "trembling"? and the next questions is Why? I say it is because it is the focal point of controversy. Jerusalem is the anointed place where Messiah will reign, and where God has placed His Name. It is the threshold of His "House of Prayer".

Another example I saw dealing with this "The Threshold Covenant" is found in the Passover where God made a covenant with all who put the blood of a lamb at the threshold of the door. Jerusalem is the threshold of God where the covenant is made with all nations, and Yeshua's blood was shed at that "threshold" to regather us back to His covenant? "for God so loved the world that He gave His only Begotten Son,...."

For those that do not know what a threshold is, it is the bottom part of your doors that people step over to enter into your homes. You always need to be careful as to who gets their foot in the door. In Eastern culture, trample and stomp on the threshold of a person's home is considered worse than cursing at your neighbor. Hebrews warns us about what happened to Israel in the desert. They had the same gospel preached to them as we do regarding our Redeemer. They had the same Word of God. The same message. How many have thought that we had a new gospel in the New Testament? They did not have the faith to carry out the Word of God, for if they really had faith, they would have done the Word of God. We who have faith, who have believed, then enter that rest…. This is God's threshold.

Upvote 0

AbbaLove

Circumcism Of The Heart
May 16, 2015
✟120,508.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
... Another example I saw dealing with this "The Threshold Covenant" is found in the Passover where God made a covenant with all who put the blood of a lamb at the threshold of the door.

For those that do not know what a threshold is, it is the bottom part of your doors that people step over to enter into your homes. You always need to be careful as to who gets their foot in the door. In Eastern culture, trample and stomp on the threshold of a person's home is considered worse than cursing at your neighbor.
Did you really mean to imply that the Israelites "put the blood of a lamb at the threshold" (bottom part) of the door" instead of on the lintel (top)?

What scripture translation (or commentary) are you referring to that implies the Israelites were to put the blood of a lamb at the threshold of the door?

Passover-doorpost.jpg

Even this artist's depiction may not be accurate as the blood was to be put on the actual door posts (framing) of the entry way. Take that to mean the blood was put on lintel post and door posts, not stucco or capstone over doorframe. But then what do I know without any Youtubes way back then. Apparently there were enough Israelites with houses for those living in tents to come together for their communal passover meal.

Exodus 12:7

Moreover, they shall take some of the blood and put it on the two doorposts and on the lintel of the houses in which they eat it.
Exodus 12:23
When the LORD goes through the land to strike down the Egyptians, he will see the blood on the top and sides of the door frame and will pass over that doorway, and he will not permit the destroyer to enter your houses and strike you down.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

visionary

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,802.44
Faith
Messianic
A door threshold was often a place to make a covenant between two people or families. The covenant sacrifice was cut in half. The two halves placed on either side of the doorway where the blood could flowing across the threshold. The threshold step had a little groove made in it all the way across. That is little groove makes what is known as the covenant basin. To step over the blood on the door threshold was to accept the covenant. To step on it showed great contempt for those in the household and the covenant offered.
John 10:1 He that entereth not by the door into the sheepfold, but climbeth up some other way, the same is a thief and a robber. But he that entereth in by the door is the shepherd of the sheep.

images.jpeg

A threshold forms the boundary and with the posts, lintel, and door, it is the line that separates outside from inside. Back then, a home’s threshold was considered sacred and highly symbolic because those who crossed over a threshold were entitled to the hospitality and protection of those in the house while they remained there. That is why Lot was so insistent on getting the angels inside his home.
Gen 19:3 And he pressed upon them greatly; and they turned in unto him, and entered into his house; and he made them a feast, and did bake unleavened bread, and they did eat.

A threshold stone is the first stone laid and considered the foundation stone of the house. Back then, there was a practice of having a sacrifice blood which this stone was laid in.
John 10:9 I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.
You have to cross the blood sacrifice to get in or out of Yeshua's door.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

visionary

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,802.44
Faith
Messianic
Did you really mean to imply that the Israelites "put the blood of a lamb at the threshold" (bottom part) of the door" instead of on the lintel (top)?

What scripture translation (or commentary) are you referring to that implies the Israelites were to put the blood of a lamb at the threshold of the door?

Passover-doorpost.jpg

Even this artist's depiction may not be accurate as the blood was to be put on the actual door posts (framing) of the entry way. Take that to mean the blood was put on lintel post and door posts, not stucco or capstone over doorframe. But then what do I know without any Youtubes way back then. Apparently there were enough Israelites with houses for those living in tents to come together for their communal passover meal.

Exodus 12:7

Moreover, they shall take some of the blood and put it on the two doorposts and on the lintel of the houses in which they eat it.
Exodus 12:23
When the LORD goes through the land to strike down the Egyptians, he will see the blood on the top and sides of the door frame and will pass over that doorway, and he will not permit the destroyer to enter your houses and strike you down.
Maybe we need to understand what the basin at the door is. It is that crevice is the threshold stone, especially created for blood sacrifices.
Ex 12:22 And you shall take a bunch of hyssop, dip it in the blood that is in the basin (threshold, and strike the lintel and the two doorposts with the blood that is in the basin (threshold). And none of you shall go out of the door of his house until morning. For the Lord will pass through to strike the Egyptians; and when He sees the blood on the lintel and on the two doorposts, the Lord will pass over the door and not allow the destroyer to come into your houses to strike you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Laureate
Upvote 0

AbbaLove

Circumcism Of The Heart
May 16, 2015
✟120,508.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Maybe we need to understand what is the basin at the door is. It is that crevice is the threshold stone, especially created for blood sacrifices.

Ex 12:22 And you shall take a bunch of hyssop, dip it in the blood that is in the basin (threshold), and strike the lintel and the two doorposts with the blood that is in the basin (threshold). And none of you shall go out of the door of his house until morning. For the Lord will pass through to strike the Egyptians; and when He sees the blood on the lintel and on the two doorposts, the Lord will pass over the door and not allow the destroyer to come into your houses to strike you.​
Please add the link to the above translation or commentary (Ex 12:22) that you reference. Or is this your translation interpretaion? This translation you quote implies another source commentary that the Israelite houses had a "basin (threshold)" that they used for slaughtering lambs while slaves in Egypt. Lambs raised by the Israelites in Egypt, most likely had ceremonial significance before the Passover. It's possible that hundreds of thousands of Israelites had houses with a crevice in the threshold stone.

What's the possibility that this crevice in the threshold stone existed in the houses of the Israelite slaves in Egypt specifically for the slaugtering of lambs for hundreds of years before Passover?
What's the possibility that this "crevice is the threshold stone, especially created for blood sacrifices" already existed in the entrance stone as a standard feature of the houses that the Israelites took possession of in Canaan land for the purpose of animal blood sacrifice?

Deuteronomy 6:10-11
10 When Adonai your God has brought you into the land he swore to your ancestors Avraham, Yitz’chak and Ya‘akov that he would give you — cities great and prosperous, which you didn’t build;
11 houses full of all sorts of good things, which you didn’t fill; water cisterns dug out, which you didn’t dig; vineyards and olive trees, which you didn’t plant —

edit: typo error

Last edited:
Upvote 0

visionary

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,802.44
Faith
Messianic
H5592 caph saf door, threshold, basin, posts, bowls, gates, cup....
The KJV translates Strongs H5592 in the following manner: door (12x), threshold (8x),bason (4x), posts (3x), bowls (2x), gates (2x), cup (1x).
Outline of Biblical Usage H5605, in its original sense of containing; a vestibule (as a limit); also a dish (for holding blood or wine):—basin, bowl, cup, door (post), gate, post, threshold.

Upvote 0

visionary

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,802.44
Faith
Messianic
As far as the possibility of homes in Egypt being already there, I would say "l always understood that at the time when the Israelis came, they were living in tents, sheep herders, and rather nomadic". They probably didn't start to make their homes out of stone until they became masons, and later slaves. I would say that no one but other slaves would build a slave a home.

As far as the homes of the promised land, that would be a mixed answer depending on city, tribe, nation, religion, tradition of the area.

You might find this interesting. https://books.google.com/books?id=_eJiX4seBxgC&pg=PA297&lpg=PA297&dq=History+of+the+threshold+stone+basin&source=bl&ots=KTN6pZ_rrb&sig=51oT8u-sKM41A0_hnUs5omc_P-k&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi-pJHsj7LJAhWGbiYKHVu2CMIQ6AEIJzAC#v=onepage&q=History of the threshold stone basin&f=false

Last edited:
Upvote 0

visionary

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,802.44
Faith
Messianic
Exodus 12:22 And ye shall take a bunch of hyssop, and dip it in the blood that is in the basin, H5592 and strike the lintel and the two side posts with the blood that is in the basin; H5592 and none of you shall go out at the door of his house until the morning.

Judges 19:27 And her lord rose up in the morning, and opened the doors of the house, and went out to go his way: and, behold, the woman his concubine was fallen down at the door of the house, and her hands were upon the threshold. H5592

Two examples.. both from the same H5592 Hebrew word.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

visionary

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,802.44
Faith
Messianic
Zeph 1:9 And I shall punish on that day all who leap over the threshold, who fill their master’s house with violence and deceit.
To cross over a threshold and not hold to the highest laws of hospitality is to subject yourself to God's wrath.

Upvote 0

visionary

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,802.44
Faith
Messianic
I found something interesting... We know that Thomas got as far as India. Well, they have a way of dealing with injustice. In India, there is an ancient tradition that if one wishes to obtain justice from another they would sit at the door of the person‟s house who wronged him and not move until he or she starved to death unless that person repents and compensates. If the repentant one died, his or her blood would cry out against the one who wronged him. I reminds me of someone else we have wronged.
Revelation 3: 19 As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent. 20 Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AbbaLove

Circumcism Of The Heart
May 16, 2015
✟120,508.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Exodus 12:22 And ye shall take a bunch of hyssop, and dip it in the blood that is in the basin, H5592 and strike the lintel and the two side posts with the blood that is in the basin; H5592 and none of you shall go out at the door of his house until the morning.
There isn't an English translation that uses "threshold" instead of "basin" which appears every translator got it wrong. Apparently the correct translation should be "threshold" as the Hebrew word in Exodus 12:22 is סַף (threshold), not אַגָן (basin). When thinking it through "threshold" is a more appropriate/descriptive translation than "basin" ... adds relevant insight and additional meaning to this scripture.

Thanks for Posting :oldthumbsup:

Upvote 0

AbbaLove

Circumcism Of The Heart
May 16, 2015
✟120,508.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
The basin is in the threshold.... not that the basin and threshold are the same thing.
If only there was a Youtube showing an Israelite basin/threshold (below the lintel) in the doorway dwelling of Aaron and Miriam when they lived in Eqypt. Still trying to wrap my head around the idea of a sunken basin in a threshold. Just a couple days ago a preacher said that a lamb has up to 4 gallons of blood? Apparently he doesn't know the difference between a lamb and a hogget.

After a year, a lamb becomes a hogget and after six months, the hogget becomes a sheep. Hogget is the name of the first shearing of a sheep older than 3 months, and is the best wool that animal will ever give.

However, my neighbors lambs were always born in late winter/early spring ... so by Passover most likely no more than 1 gallon of blood at the very most.

Last edited:
Reactions: visionary
Upvote 0

visionary

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,802.44
Faith
Messianic
http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/articles/4665-corner-stone

I always thought that the stone that held the archway in place was the corner stone. But not in this article. It indicates that it is the foundation stone, the first stone laid, the stone upon which the sacrifice is performed, the threshold of the building.

Upvote 0