Jan 2, 2007
✟28,775.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
No one deserves reparations because of what someone else's ancestors did to their ancestors.

Let us continue to celebrate and remember the history of America...the noble and the base alike. The noble, that it may inspire us to reclaim this Republic. The base, that we may be humbled and never repeat the mistakes of the past.

Upvote 0

BlackAndy

Everyone is entitled to my opinion.
Dec 5, 2006
Hilliard, Ohio, USA
✟25,599.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
No one deserves reparations because of what someone else's ancestors did to their ancestors.

Let us continue to celebrate and remember the history of America...the noble and the base alike. The noble, that it may inspire us to reclaim this Republic. The base, that we may be humbled and never repeat the mistakes of the past.
Makes too much sense... and it doesn't enrich anyone for being related to someone who might have been related to someone who knew a slave...

Upvote 0

CACTUSJACKmankin

Scientist
Jan 25, 2007
✟11,817.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Is it fair for me to pay for something that happened before my great grandparents crossed the pond?
Is it fair to pay people for wrongs that didn't happen to them, their parents, or their grandparents?

Upvote 0

LovesTruth

May 22, 2006
✟2,092.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I can forgive those who wronged my ancestors.

If people get reparations, we are likely to create a generation of bums... the new idle rich. Look at the harm caused by welfare. Look at the harm caused by the children of the very wealthy like Teddy Kennedy. Just a thought...

If you want to help erase the legacy of biased treatment, help a descendent of the original victims to compete effectively and earn his/her own way on equal terms. It happens all the time... if we work for it.

No handouts. That seems only fair.

Upvote 0

UberLutheran

Feb 2, 2004
✟20,440.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No handouts. That seems only fair.

It's also blatantly unBiblical.
Exodus 22:25-27
25 If you lend money to any of my people with you who is poor, you shall not be like a moneylender to him, and you shall not exact interest from him. 26 If ever you take your neighbor's cloak in pledge, you shall return it to him before the sun goes down, 27 for that is his only covering, and it is his cloak for his body; in what else shall he sleep? And if he cries to me, I will hear, for I am compassionate.

Exodus 23:10-11
10 For six years you shall sow your land and gather in its yield, 11 but the seventh year you shall let it rest and lie fallow, that the poor of your people may eat; and what they leave the beasts of the field may eat. You shall do likewise with your vineyard, and with your olive orchard.

Leviticus 19:9-10
9 When you reap the harvest of your land, you shall not reap your field right up to its edge, neither shall you gather the gleanings after your harvest. 10 And you shall not strip your vineyard bare, neither shall you gather the fallen grapes of your vineyard. You shall leave them for the poor and for the sojourner: I am the Lord your God.

Leviticus 23:22
22 And when you reap the harvest of your land, you shall not reap your field right up to its edge, nor shall you gather the gleanings after your harvest. You shall leave them for the poor and for the sojourner: I am the Lord your God.

Deuteronomy 15:4-11
4 But there will be no poor among you; for the Lord will bless you in the land that the Lord your God is giving you for an inheritance to possess— 5 if only you will strictly obey the voice of the Lord your God, being careful to do all this commandment that I command you today. 6 For the Lord your God will bless you, as he promised you, and you shall lend to many nations, but you shall not borrow, and you shall rule over many nations, but they shall not rule over you. 7 If among you, one of your brothers should become poor, in any of your towns within your land that the Lord your God is giving you, you shall not harden your heart or shut your hand against your poor brother, 8 but you shall open your hand to him and lend him sufficient for his need, whatever it may be. 9 Take care lest there be an unworthy thought in your heart and you say, The seventh year, the year of release is near, and your eye look grudgingly on your poor brother, and you give him nothing, and he cry to the Lord against you, and you be guilty of sin. 10 You shall give to him freely, and your heart shall not be grudging when you give to him, because for this the Lord your God will bless you in all your work and in all that you undertake. 11 For there will never cease to be poor in the land. Therefore I command you, You shall open wide your hand to your brother, to the needy and to the poor, in your land.
No -- we are to give the poor handouts. We who have enough are expected to share what we have.

And this is what happens if we decide NOT to share what we have with those who have not:

Ezekiel 16:49-50
Behold, this was the guilt of your sister Sodom: she and her daughters had pride, excess of food, and prosperous ease, but did not aid the poor and needy. 50 They were haughty and did an abomination before me. So I removed them, when I saw it.

Matthew 25:31-46
31 When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, then he will sit on his glorious throne. 32 Before him will be gathered all the nations, and he will separate people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33 And he will place the sheep on his right, but the goats on the left. 34 Then the King will say to those on his right, Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. 35 For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, 36 I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me. 37 Then the righteous will answer him, saying, Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink? 38 And when did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you? 39 And when did we see you sick or in prison and visit you? 40 And the King will answer them, Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me. 41 Then he will say to those on his left, Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42 For I was hungry and you gave me no food, I was thirsty and you gave me no drink, 43 I was a stranger and you did not welcome me, naked and you did not clothe me, sick and in prison and you did not visit me. 44 Then they also will answer, saying, Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not minister to you? 45 Then he will answer them, saying, Truly, I say to you, as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to me. 46 And these will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.
1) The greedy folks get destroyed.
2) Those who refuse to help the poor, the hungry, the thirsty, the sick and the powerless are excluded from the Kingdom of God.

Upvote 0

LovesTruth

May 22, 2006
✟2,092.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Nothing I said applies to helping the deserving poor. Read my truthful post again more carefully. I am against welfare... the current unnecessary and counteproductive system of wealth redistribution from the productive to the lazy in exchange for votes.

Now THAT is unBiblical.

Upvote 0

EnemyPartyII

Sep 12, 2006
✟20,084.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Nothing I said applies to helping the deserving poor. Read my truthful post again more carefully. I am against welfare... the current unnecessary and counteproductive system of wealth redistribution from the productive to the lazy in exchange for votes.

Now THAT is unBiblical.
So... coming from a people who were enslaved or driven off their land at gunpoint, and by the occasional genocidal slaughter... DOESN'T make one "deserving poor"?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

EnemyPartyII

Sep 12, 2006
✟20,084.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
So stealing is legal as long as you manage to keep it long enough for your children to inherit?
He he! Nicely put!

I'll go and knock over some banks and hide the proceeds really well. I'm sure my kids will appreciate it.

Seriously though, I wonder what the other side of this discussion thinks is the minimum necesary time between seeking recompense and "letting it go"?

Upvote 0

Loke

Jan 20, 2005
✟336.00
Faith
Atheist
This is one of the messages I treasure from the last line in the news story:

God created the United States of America for a special reason. He used America to welcome Jews and to later create the nation of Israel. God has blessed the USA as we have blessed Jews and Israel.

May our nation always bless Israel and please our Lord.

God should've done something about the anti-immigration feelings in the 1920's, which resulted in National Origins Quota. Jews were not welcome in the 1930's, 0nly 40% believed jews should be treated like other people and 10% believed jews should be deported.
A period with anti-semitism in Europe where jews were in need of it, the US borders were closed for lots of jews.

Upvote 0
S

Steezie

The Irish side of my family arrived in America from County Kildare in the 1860's because they were forced off their land by an absentee landlord. The women went to England to work as domestic servants, and the men came here to try their luck.
We got our dues. We got treated like dirt when we first got here, but we made up for it by BECOMMING the system. We even got one of our own into the WHITE HOUSE (JFK). I'd say the Irish have done well for ourselves since we came. And this is comming from an Irish Nationalist and an IRA supporter.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

bammertheblue

Veteran
Feb 10, 2006
Washington, DC
✟10,377.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Nothing like characterizing a whole group of people as "lazy"...have you ever been to a rez? Ever spent any time on one? Lived on one? How many jobs are there that pay more than $7 per hour? (Hint: Not a whole lot.)

Now THAT is unBiblical.

Upvote 0
He he! Nicely put!

I'll go and knock over some banks and hide the proceeds really well. I'm sure my kids will appreciate it.

Seriously though, I wonder what the other side of this discussion thinks is the minimum necesary time between seeking recompense and "letting it go"?
That's different, nobody's harmed by that except maybe the government, in which the money would be owed to the government.

We're talking about people's ancestors harming each other. I suffer no personal harm from what happened to my ancestors.

Upvote 0

EnemyPartyII

Sep 12, 2006
✟20,084.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
That's different, nobody's harmed by that except maybe the government, in which the money would be owed to the government.

We're talking about people's ancestors harming each other. I suffer no personal harm from what happened to my ancestors.
Really?

So... if your grandparents owned a large grazing property, which also has significant mineral rights... and they ere unjustly kicked off it, and stripped of all assets, which means that your parents grow up in poverty, while watching the people who did the unjust removal in the first place grow rich... you don't think you would feel directly effected?

Upvote 0
Really?

So... if your grandparents owned a large grazing property, which also has significant mineral rights... and they ere unjustly kicked off it, and stripped of all assets, which means that your parents grow up in poverty, while watching the people who did the unjust removal in the first place grow rich... you don't think you would feel directly effected?
That's the grandparents' problem and they should take legal action against those who did it to them.

Upvote 0

LovesTruth

May 22, 2006
✟2,092.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
God should've done something about the anti-immigration feelings in the 1920's, which resulted in National Origins Quota. Jews were not welcome in the 1930's, 0nly 40% believed jews should be treated like other people and 10% believed jews should be deported.
A period with anti-semitism in Europe where jews were in need of it, the US borders were closed for lots of jews.
Ah but that was only a brief time and it ended abruptly! Those are the overall path of American treatment of Jews. Even in the 1930s America respected Jews' freedom of religion while other nations persecuted them. This is to the honor and glory of Jesus Christ. We are good to Jews because of our Christian heritage.

Because of the faith of George Washington and the love of our founders for the Bible, we have always been kind to the Jews. And God has bless America as America has blessed Israel and Jews.

Upvote 0