Only one thing is needful.
Site Supporter
Jul 8, 2004
✟341,456.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
As a former Baptist, I'm not at all surprised by the comments. It's what I would expect.

I would not have posted a hymn to the Theotokos in their forum. It only leads to misunderstanding and even a level of ridicule of her and of our beliefs.

Mary

Upvote 0

Wryetui

IC XC NIKA
Dec 15, 2014
The Carpathian Garden
✟15,670.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Exactly, I'm not trying to insult anyone, at all, but they don't have the unity we have under the same church, even if we don't have a pope, the Orthodox Church is ONE and we all believe the same things. We have the Holy Fathers to help us, we have our saints, we will always have something to read in order to clarify our thoughts and in order to see what is good or not, because every question we have has been already answered by our church members in the past, so we don't have only the Holy Bible, like the neoprotestant or protestant people.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Oh, in the Baptist forum. I thought it was the one in GT, which I participated in.

There is too much of a disconnect. Baptists (or those of quite a few other denominations) are not likely to even understand what we mean.

I was Baptist for a long time, and I DO understand their position. But they've been taught only a part, and ... Well, besides not even speaking the same "language" as it were, they don't have the same understanding of theology.

I greatly admire their dedication to Scripture, and their desire to find and hold to Truth. Unfortunately, quite a bit of what is taught in some Baptist circles is a reaction against certain Catholic teachings (which we would disagree with as well) and which the Catholics themselves have backed away from and become more moderate in some cases, from what I understand.

But the line "Theotokos, save us" which can be a shortened version of "By the prayers/intercessions of the Theotokos, Savior save us!" Is completely misunderstood.

I'm sure they don't want us teaching in their forum. And I'm not sure in which forums open discussion would be allowed. I'm not sure I'd be willing to just ask what they think. If we are not allowed to clarify, I can see it might lead only to more misunderstanding.

I would appreciate open dialogue though. Perhaps that can happen in the new Traditional Theology forum. That's what we're hoping for. :)

Upvote 0

George95

CF Tech Master
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Community Manager
Site Supporter
Oct 31, 2012
✟1,395,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
you are a braver man then I for posting that on a Baptist forum
I was genuinely interested to hear their thoughts. One thing I didn't like is that a Baptist member in there pretty much said that I was only advertising and trying to convert them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

George95

CF Tech Master
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Community Manager
Site Supporter
Oct 31, 2012
✟1,395,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Baptists are surface thinkers. You won't find a St Gregory of Nyssa, or Basil the Great, or a Cyril of Alexandria in their shallow thinking ranks. This is why there are over 200 baptist sects divided over simpleminded things .
One of the guys is named Basil the Great in that thread. :D

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟752,619.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
It must be a dead end in discussing things I guess. The one thread in our debate area has vanished. There is a thread in their forum where a "born again" believer contended with Fr. Joseph Honeycutt re tradition.

Their thread: http://www.christianforums.com/t7416204/

the ancient faith podcast in their thread: http://www.ancientfaith.com/podcasts/orthodixie/catechizing_from_the_barbers_chair_in_beaumont

It just seems like it comes down to assuming the Bible doesn't say there is infant baptism only "believer's baptism". There just were no infants in the entire households of Cornelius (Acts 10:44-48) nor in the jailer's household (Acts 16:29-34). Where is this conclusion drawn? The Bible does not say infants were not baptized and to think that it was understood from the apostles that these households included infants is "not Biblical!!"

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It must be a dead end in discussing things I guess. The one thread in our debate area has vanished. There is a thread in their forum where a "born again" believer contended with Fr. Joseph Honeycutt re tradition.

Their thread: http://www.christianforums.com/t7416204/

the ancient faith podcast in their thread: http://www.ancientfaith.com/podcasts/orthodixie/catechizing_from_the_barbers_chair_in_beaumont

It just seems like it comes down to assuming the Bible doesn't say there is infant baptism only "believer's baptism". There just were no infants in the entire households of Cornelius (Acts 10:44-48) nor in the jailer's household (Acts 16:29-34). Where is this conclusion drawn? The Bible does not say infants were not baptized and to think that it was understood from the apostles that these households included infants is "not Biblical!!"

Yes, no babies in anyone's household (you might have expected the writers of Scripture to clarify that point if it were controversial otherwise) ...

Yet babies are often said to fall under "age of accountability" rules, which I can't seem to find in my Bible. Funny how the Hebrew boys didn't fall under that but were included in the covenant on the 8th day whether they believed in it or agreed or not ...

Upvote 0