South of Canada, North of Mexico
✟17,400.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
That's something you need to pray about for yourself and seek God's guidance on. For myself the violence in the games isn't an issue, but sometimes the language is.

I play a fair amount of Battlefield 3 and the background chatter is always "f this" and "f that" and "mfers" all built into the game audio. Then add the player chat it can get a bit overwhelming. The violence in the game doesn't bother me in the least.

I should caution you however that it is very easy to give a free pass to one thing be it a violent video game, inappropriate contentographically violent literature, sexually explicit music, etc, etc, etc and find that you give a free pass to more and more things until you are right back where you started.

Upvote 0

Billnew

Legend
Apr 23, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
✟35,363.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Slow fade.

Life is violent. Life is PG, we need guidance from our father.
I recently posted about Ultima forever, a game whos goal is being good, ethical or morale.
But with these limitations I asked would this game keep your interest?

You can play games and be Christian. You can play games in a manner that sins against God. Like all other life, there is no definate answer.
You can live your character as God wants us to live, and you can live your character as the worst sinner.

Upvote 0
Sep 14, 2008
Orkney, Scotland
✟10,402.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
At the end of the day they are only games made up of computer code and graphics and such. I enjoy playing games such as COD, GOW and the Assassins Creed series, they are fun but I would never take this viloence out into the real world.

Most games have some violence, whether it be COD or Mario, it is the foul language that makes me cringe but that is the game makers and not myself who put it in.

I suggest that you pray and go by what you feel that God is telling you.

Upvote 0

mattyoung

Oct 15, 2006
Sydney
✟7,787.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Worcester Beacon said:
At the end of the day they are only games made up of computer code and graphics and such. I enjoy playing games such as COD, GOW and the Assassins Creed series, they are fun but I would never take this viloence out into the real world.

Most games have some violence, whether it be COD or Mario, it is the foul language that makes me cringe but that is the game makers and not myself who put it in.

I suggest that you pray and go by what you feel that God is telling you.

Agreed.
And games like assassins creed can be a bit educational without the player even noticing.

Upvote 0

saffron park

The Gom Jabbar, the High-Handed Enemy
Aug 17, 2012
[!] Upstate [!] New York
✟12,988.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Hi guys,

I've been a big gamer all my life. I recently became a Christian. As Christians, are we allowed to play video games, that contain any violence?

Would really like to hear your thoughts on this.

Thank You

I think games with violence are fine to play, just be careful not to let it effect you, because if you are not careful, it will.

Upvote 0

GrizzlyMonKeH

Chemical Engineering Undergraduate
Jul 23, 2012
Iowa State University
✟8,122.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Violence is only wrong in the context of harming other people or yourself.

If a video game you're playing isn't causing you to have violent thoughts towards another person or think about hurting yourself, I don't think there's anything wrong with playing it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sistrin

We are such stuff as dreams are made on...
Supporter
Jun 9, 2012
Location Location Location
✟197,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
IDK. I agree that the question is one of degree. Anything can be taken to the point of extreme, which in the case of video games would be playing the game while ignoring the important aspects of your life.

The only online game I have ever really gotten into is Warhammer Online. The violence is tame compared to some others I have seen. What I have always liked about it is the competition.

Upvote 0

Sistrin

We are such stuff as dreams are made on...
Supporter
Jun 9, 2012
Location Location Location
✟197,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well since this bible itself is full of genocide, mutilation, and rape, I don't see anything wrong with violent video games.

Well said

This may be the wrong thread for this debate, but the above wasn't well said at all. It was petty and transparent.

Upvote 0