Visit site
✟877,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This thread is very narrow in purpose. Those who hold to the teaching that God forbids people to drink any alcohol, please explain this text:

Deu 14:26 And thou shalt bestow that money for whatsoever thy soul lusteth after, for oxen, or for sheep, or for wine, or for strong drink, or for whatsoever thy soul desireth: and thou shalt eat there before the LORD thy God, and thou shalt rejoice, thou, and thine household

Please note, this is not a general thread on drinking. It is a discussion of a specific text. Other texts may certainly be referenced in your explanation, but please give your take on this text.

Reactions: JM

classicalhero

Jun 9, 2013
Perth,Western Australia
✟11,338.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Liberals
You started a troll thread and you want people to answer your troll?

It is really frustrating how people do this when someone has made a decision to never drink any alcohol and then try and put a stumbling block before them.

Last edited:
Reactions: CFAntiseptic
Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟877,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You started a troll thread and you want people to answer your troll?

It is really frustrating how people do this when someone has made a decision to never drink any alcohol and then try and put a stumbling block before them.

I do not drink, nor do I endorse drinking. However, that does not mean I am at liberty to change what the Bible actually says. I think in modern times with driving, etc. that drinking is a bad habit to start. But the Bible does not condemn all drinking. If people want to encourage others not to drink, that is fine, and I agree with that. However, you have to do it in a way that honestly assesses the biblical information. Otherwise you lose credibility.

And as to it being a troll thread, how so? It is an attempt to look at one particular text regarding drinking. In the other thread it was stated that we were twisting what the Bible said by referencing such texts. But no one would spell out what twisting was being done. This is your opportunity. If you feel that the Bible condemns all drinking then explain how your understanding of the text fits with that.

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟877,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It seems to me the thread was made for the intention of discussing with biblical evidence the notions disputed. Not a 'troll'.

Yes, the problem with the more broad conversations is no one ever addresses the specifics. It would seem that any argument that the Bible forbids all alcohol has to deal with the text referred to in this thread. So I am giving those who wish to argue that the opportunity.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Jesus turned water into wine, He didn't tell them "drinking is bad!" Paul tells Timothy to have some wine to help his stomach too. The Law of the Spirit though calls for moderation and self control, for drunkards will not inherit the Kingdom.

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jesus turned water into wine, He didn't tell them "drinking is bad!" Paul tells Timothy to have some wine to help his stomach too. The Law of the Spirit though calls for moderation and self control, for drunkards will not inherit the Kingdom.
-that about covers it .

but im wondering , the Op seems to be targeting "those who say God forbids drinking any alcohol ".. are there some that do so ?

i drink absolutely none -but up until 2 years ago i enjoyed it with full liberty -then one day i went to buy some and the holy Spirit said to me .."no" and i have not brought any nor drunk any since that day {save one time i was pressured into a "Christian toast" .. i barely sipped and felt guilt for doing so -So now i understand what it means to make a person sin against their own conscience ,because that's how i felt in that situation. before that day i had never really understood that verse .}

Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Abstaining from alcohol is everyone's right. It is also a necessity for those recovering from addictions/alcoholism, etc. In addition, our walk with our God is hopefully one that "lifts" our brothers and sisters (and those who do not know our God yet) And not put yet one more stumbling block/burden on them or in their path, amen?

Thank you kindly.

Reactions: now faith
Upvote 0

classicalhero

Jun 9, 2013
Perth,Western Australia
✟11,338.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Liberals
Don't forget that drinking water was quite dangerous to do and the water standards we have now ar vastly superior and quite frankly there is really no need to drink any alcohol.

Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,693.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Don't forget that drinking water was quite dangerous to do and the water standards we have now ar vastly superior and quite frankly there is really no need to drink any alcohol.
Nobody is arguing for a need.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Its talking about clean and unclean foods the whole chapter in the OT. That specific verse is saying that if they cant bring the foods to the temple ..eg they brought the first fruits, they could sell it and bring money instead. And then eat with the levites.

It says if you desire ox sheep etc. and then talks about desiring wine and strong drink, but it doesnt say about drinking it. Cos its been turned into money..you are partaking in the first fruits, the best sacrifices. As far as I know...when grapes are pressed and its new it is NOT turned into alcohol. Its only after its been aged for ages it goes bad and nasty and turns fermented.

When Jesus turned water into wine it was NEW wine..eg fresh grape juice. I think people are so used to thinking wine means alcoholic that they forget what it is originally. Also Jesus said that we are to drink new wine, the fruit of the vine, not old wine in old bottles (or wineskins) but he said everyone would say the old tastes better. It doesnt. Its disgusting actually.

Upvote 0