✟8,314.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
The verse in Romans declares this.

So, Is it not possible to have the Spirit, but not be lead of it ??

So, If we fail to do so..........what does that make us, & what does God make of us.

Surely there is nothing worse than a fleshly, carnal Christian.

Not only does it irritate, its plain annoying ! (at least your sinner pals are being themselves - for thats all they know to do-so more genuine).

How can we reconcile this apparent "mix up"

Having the Spirit, but not being lead of it, was it worth being regenerated then ??

Or am I missing the point:doh::idea:

nephilimiyr

I've Been Keepin My Eyes Wide Open
Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟40,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian

I believe so, yes. :)

So, If we fail to do so..........what does that make us, & what does God make of us.

Not sure. If you don't post chapter and verse that means I have to search for it so that I can read the whole thing in context. And right now I'm not feeling like searching for it. Perhaps I'm speaking from not being in the Spirit right now?

Upvote 0
Dec 18, 2003
✟11,355.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I believe so, yes. :)

Not sure. If you don't post chapter and verse that means I have to search for it so that I can read the whole thing in context. And right now I'm not feeling like searching for it. Perhaps I'm speaking from not being in the Spirit right now?

It's in Romans 8...I have been meditating on this very Scripture for the past week.

Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟163,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican

Not only does it irritate, its plain annoying ! (at least your sinner pals are being themselves - for thats all they know to do-so more genuine).

Having the Spirit, but not being lead of it, was it worth being regenerated then ??

No you don't miss the point, you are observing something very important.

Everyone of us can plateau on our path if we are not careful. It is not hard to become educated fools and walking libraries for GOD, and remain in the more soulful arena. Our relationship with GOD is crucial if we desire to move up into The Spirit and follow His leading like Jesus expects us to, and to have His results through us.

It is very good to realize such points ahead of time, that way we are not overcome by them and remain overcomers.

Upvote 0

nephilimiyr

Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟40,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
It's in Romans 8...I have been meditating on this very Scripture for the past week.

Ah yes, I actually have that verse highlighted. :)

Though I also have verse 9 and 10 highlighted also. ;)

Romans 8:9-10, You, however, are controlled not by the sinful nature but by the Spirit, if the Spirit of God lives in you. And if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Christ. But if Christ is in you, your body is dead because of sin, yet your spirit is alive because of righteousness.

This is where that paradigm shift I had that I was telling you about made such a big difference on how I view things now. We are a triune being made up of body, soul, and spirit; there's three parts of us in one. And now everything I read in the Bible I view it with that perspective, and that is the perspective I believe you have to view verse 14.

I believe that what Paul is basically getting at in verse 14 is that we are only the sons of God in our spirit. In our bodies and soul we do not belong to Christ, unless you just want to be romantic about it. Those christians who are being led by their sinful nature are ignoring the spirit that God created in them. The life giving spirit is still there, but it is grieved.

If we have that Spirit in us it will cause us to desire to be led by it. It will always be there tugging at your heart to do the right thing.

Upvote 0

ANM29

Nov 11, 2003
In My Father's Hands..No Safer Place To Be
✟10,354.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Good point Mr.Happy..

Not all are lead and walking in the Spirit of God..to become a son of God, you must carry your cross as Christ, and live as Jesus lived. He did nothing unless the Father lead him to do it, his life was a life Spirit-filled of constant walking in the Spirit, therefore he was the SON of God..if we are to be called sons of God, we are to become like Christ....( the narrow way, and it is narrow..and not many find it )...

In all of our being a Christian, it is to be ones who are walking in the spirit and living totally spirit-lead lives..you will know if you are, ..you just know....I won't use any examples......

So, carnality is just a phase we should pass through, not stay in...But, as always our God has a plan even for that...

To be called sons of God comes with a price that some are not willing to pay..right now, some of the sons of God are being prepared in the wilderness of severe tests, trials, and they know the call of God on their lives...and will only do what the Spirit leads them to, even if it clashes with 'man' and it will most of the time...a narrow path, that few mind...they are as 'eunuchs' all for the service of the King...they allow God to cut, strip the flesh all for the Kingdom.......... .........

Upvote 0

Deba

The Lord is my shepherd I shall not want (period)
Jul 8, 2007
An American living in Laos
✟13,167.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Not to be a party pooper, but there is no where in scripture where you will find reference to a 'daughter' of God.

To reduce our sonship to gender greatly diminishes the inheritance ALL believers are called to share in.

Upvote 0

Giver

Sep 12, 2005
USA - North Carolina
✟8,112.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Politics
US-Others

(1 Corinthians 3:1-3) “Brothers, I myself was unable to speak to you as people of the Spirit; I treated you as sensual men, still infants in Christ. What I fed you with was milk, not solid food, for you were not ready for it; and indeed, you are still not ready for it since you are still unspiritual. Isn’t that obvious from all the jealousy and wrangling that there is among you, from the way that you go on behaving like ordinary people? “

Upvote 0
Dec 18, 2003
✟11,355.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Paul was a strong proponent of the preeminence of God in the lives of believers.

If you will notice, being led by the Spirit is passive on our part. It is not focused on what we do, but what God does.

Another way of saying it that might be more helpful in understanding what
Paul is conveying would be to say...as many as respond to the move of God in their life are the children of God.

Paul is speaking of a new nature...we have a new nature as Christians that responds to the Holy Spirit's move in our lives. It is not something we try to do or make an effort to do, it happens because we have a new nature and it is natural for us to respond.

People who do not have that new nature do not respond to the holy Spirit's moving, not because they resist it, but because it is not their nature to do so.

A person must be regenerated (Born again) and become a new creation in Christ in order to have the new nature that responds to the leading of the holy Spirit.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

nephilimiyr

Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟40,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I think we are always led...doesn't mean we always follow...but we are most definetly led!

Sometimes just giving one sentence says it all. I agree cassidy, and very well said! :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Optimax

Senior Veteran
May 7, 2006
New Mexico
✟41,659.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Ro 8:14
For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.
KJV

The word "son" on Rom. 8:14 is NT:5207.

Vines says;

Notice g which is in blue and bold which gives us the way the word was used in Rom. 8:14..

huios NT:5207 primarily signifies the relation of offspring to parent (see Jn 9:18-20; Gal 4:30). It is often used metaphorically of prominent moral characteristics (see below). "It is used in the NT of (a) male offspring, Gal 4:30; (b) legitimate, as opposed to illegitimate offspring, Heb 12:8; (c) descendants, without reference to sex, Ro 9:27; (d) friends attending a wedding, Mt 9:15; (e) those who enjoy certain privileges, Ac 3:25; (f) those who act in a certain way, whether evil, Mt 23:31, or good, Gal 3:7; (g) those who manifest a certain character, whether evil, Ac 13:10; Eph 2:2, or good, Lk 6:35; Ac 4:36; Ro 8:14;
(from Vine's Expository Dictionary of Biblical Words, Copyright © 1985, Thomas Nelson Publishers.)

Ro 8:14
For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.
KJV

Those who are led by the Spirit of God manifest a certain character of God(good).

(g) those who manifest a certain character, whether evil, Ac 13:10; Eph 2:2, or
good, Lk 6:35; Ac 4:36; Ro 8:14;

Many Christians have the Spirit of God, but being carnal(whatever the reason) may not manifest a certain character of God, which is good.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.