This should end the discussion about easy grace and OSAS!

ZacharyB

charismatic believer for 23 years
Sep 24, 2015
✟16,678.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Don't rest in what you can do. It was not designed to be that way and if you were more spiritual you would see that, but you are so into yourself and what you do.
It appears that you don't understand what I've been trying to get across!
I am strictly preaching against those "believers"
who utilize their God-given free will
to NOT co-operate with the Holy Spirit,
but instead are involved with habitual unrepentant sin
(which is exactly what Paul was always warning about).
Today's churches are filled with this type of pastors and sheep.
Hello!

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
It appears that you don't understand what I've been trying to get across!
I am strictly preaching against those "believers"
who utilize their God-given free will
to NOT co-operate with the Holy Spirit,
but instead are involved with habitual unrepentant sin
(which is exactly what Paul was always warning about).
Today's churches are filled with this type of pastors and sheep.
Hello!
What does that have to do with OSAS or Easy Grace?

Upvote 0

FreeGrace2

Senior Veteran
Nov 15, 2012
USA
✟184,557.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Unless one understands the meaning of the words, the two trying to communicate are speaking a foreign language one to the other.
Which is why you beware of false doctrine, because it sounds logical or nice, still it is a twisted lie of Satan.
You claim election is not being chosen, however consider this
https://www.blueletterbible.org/nkjv/mar/13/1/t_conc_970020
Mar 13:20
Before I consider the site, please actually consider what I posted about election. I never came close to suggesting that electrion isn't about being chosen. In fact, I used the word "chosen" in my post, which it seems you didn't really read, or at least very closely.

It would be more helpful to actually read a post carefully before one thinks of responding, especially if one disagrees with what they think the post is about.

And I didn't comprehend your statement about "Which is why you beware of false doctrine….". Could you please rephrase it?

“And unless the Lord had shortened those days, no flesh would be saved; but for the elect’s sake, whom He chose, He shortened the days.
Sure. Do you know the context for this verse? It is the Tribulation. Who are the "elect" here, from Jesus' perspective? The nation of Israel. And we know from Revelation that Israel will be surrounded by the world's armies, set on destroying them WHEN the Messiah returns in all His glory and He immediately destroys all the armies, so that blood runs as high as a horse's bridle for about 180 miles. That's a lot of blood.

So that verse has nothing to do with the elect of the NT, which are believers in Christ. Or the elect angels, or Jesus Christ Himself.

Since I listed 6 categories of election, along with verses to back up my view, can you refute my list to show that election is about being chosen for salvaton?

\Eph 1:4

just as He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before Him in love,
Strongs=G1586
ἐκλέγομαι, eklegomai means to pick out, choose, to pick or choose out for one's self
https://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/lexicon/lexicon.cfm?Strongs=G1586&t=NKJV
Who are the "us" in that verse? Paul defines who the "us" are in 1:19 - and what is the surpassing greatness of His power toward us who believe. These are in accordance with the working of the strength of His might

So, the "us" in 1:4 are believers. You can insert the word "believers" in place of the word "us" in 1:4. So God chose believers. And what did He choose believers for? "that we (believers) should be holy and blameless". And there are other verses that say basically the same thing about how believers are to live their lives.

Col 1;22, 23 - 22 yet He has now reconciled you inHis fleshly body through death, in order to present you before Him holy and blameless and beyond reproach— 23 if indeed you continue in the faith firmly established and steadfast, and not moved away from the hope of the gospel that you have heard, which was proclaimed in all creation under heaven, and of which I, Paul, was made a minister.

Notice the conditional clause in v.23 - "IF you continue". That's how He will present us before Him HOLY AND BLAMELESS.

1 Pet 1:15 - but like the Holy One who called you, be holy yourselves also in all your behavior; {note that this is a command}

2 Pet 3:11 - Since all these things are to be destroyed in this way, what sort of people ought you to be in holy conduct and godliness

These verses indicate that believers are not automatically holy and blameless.

However your teaching is the elect are chosen not for salvation, which is a false teaching.
I proved it by the list I gave. 6 categories, ALL described as "elect" and none of them are about being chosen for salvation.

https://www.blueletterbible.org/nkjv/mat/20/16/p0/t_conc_949016

The word 'chosen' is 'elect'
chosen
g1588
ἐκλεκτός eklektos

Correct.

speaker18x12.png

as in the verse
“So the last will be first, and the first last. For many are called, but few chosen.”
Just throwing out verses with the word "chosen" or even "elect" doesn't prove anything.

Again, what will you do with the list of 6 categories of those described as "chosen" or "elect"? Please show by Scripture that any of this list were chosen for savlation.

Upvote 0

FreeGrace2

Senior Veteran
Nov 15, 2012
USA
✟184,557.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Exactly what the meme was pointing out - people just love to make salvation about any thing except God's sovereignty - which is exactly what you just did.
You could not be more wrong. Salvation itself demonstrates and PROVES that God is sovereign. If not for Him and His plan, no one would be saved.

I really have no idea why you think I removed God's sovereignty from salvation, unless it is the false idea that God chooses to save men apart from any condition on their part. That is false because salvation is ALWAYS based on believing the gospel, or faith in Christ.

That is a condition. Again, the Calvinist doctrine claims that God regenerates those He has chosen to save and, as a result of being regenerated can now believe. But that gets the cart WAY before the horse.

Consider 1 Cor 1:21 for what occurs first: For since in the wisdom of God the world through its wisdom did not come to know God, God was well-pleased through the foolishness of the message preached to save those who believe.

There it is in straight forward language: God was well-pleased to save those who believe. That's who He chooses to save: believers.

The Calvinist logic results in having God choose who will believe, by their incorrect view of election and regeneration preceding faith in Christ.

But God does not choose who will believe and then save them. He chooses to save those who believe.

Reactions: ToBeLoved
Upvote 0

AndOne

Deliver me oh Lord, from evil men
Apr 20, 2002
Florida
✟20,928.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
You could not be more wrong. Salvation itself demonstrates and PROVES that God is sovereign. If not for Him and His plan, no one would be saved.

I really have no idea why you think I removed God's sovereignty from salvation, unless it is the false idea that God chooses to save men apart from any condition on their part. That is false because salvation is ALWAYS based on believing the gospel, or faith in Christ.

That is a condition. Again, the Calvinist doctrine claims that God regenerates those He has chosen to save and, as a result of being regenerated can now believe. But that gets the cart WAY before the horse.

Consider 1 Cor 1:21 for what occurs first: For since in the wisdom of God the world through its wisdom did not come to know God, God was well-pleased through the foolishness of the message preached to save those who believe.

There it is in straight forward language: God was well-pleased to save those who believe. That's who He chooses to save: believers.

The Calvinist logic results in having God choose who will believe, by their incorrect view of election and regeneration preceding faith in Christ.

But God does not choose who will believe and then save them. He chooses to save those who believe.

I don't consider anything that you have to say regarding scripture any more. It makes no sense to me. It wasn't too long ago as I recall that you said that mercy and compassion were included in salvation and then completely ignored Paul's reference to both in election in Romans 9.

God DOES choose whom He will to save. Period. It's not based on human will or exertion - Rom 9:16. Regeneration comes first - John 3:6-8. The Calvinist logic is based on scripture. To say otherwise is a lie.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I don't consider anything that you have to say regarding scripture any more. It makes no sense to me. It wasn't too long ago as I recall that you said that mercy and compassion were included in salvation and then completely ignored Paul's reference to both in election in Romans 9.

God DOES choose whom He will to save. Period. It's not based on human will or exertion - Rom 9:16. Regeneration comes first - John 3:6-8. The Calvinist logic is based on scripture. To say otherwise is a lie.
How exactly does John 3:6-8 prove that regeneration comes before salvation?

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Being born of the Spirit in the Spirit is the same thing as regeneration - right?
The Holy Spirit is sent to indwell the Christian as part of their salvation.

John 14:17
17 even the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees him nor knows him. You know him, for he dwells with you and will be in you.

Titus 3:5
5 he saved us, not because of works done by us in righteousness, but according to his own mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewal of the Holy Spirit,

Romans 8:15–17
15 For you did not receive the spirit of slavery to fall back into fear, but you have received the Spirit of adoption as sons, by whom we cry, “Abba! Father!” 16 The Spirit himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God, 17 and if children, then heirs—heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ, provided we suffer with him in order that we may also be glorified with him.

Ephesians 1:13–14
13 In him you also, when you heard ethe word of truth, the gospel of your salvation, and believed in him, were sealed with the promised Holy Spirit, 14 who is the guarantee4 of our inheritance until we acquire possession of it,5 to the praise of his glory

Reactions: brotherjerry
Upvote 0

Marvin Knox

Senior Veteran
May 9, 2014
✟84,598.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
You said that I hated you.

I said I do not hate anyone. I may hate the theology but I don't hate the sinner (person)
That's old history by now. I said let's start over from the beginning as if there had been a simple misunderstanding between us before.

So I ask you again.
Why do you call me a sinner (other than the fact that we are all, in the natural, sinners)? Or is it actually me and others who believe like me whom you are calling sinners because of our doctrines?
Then, assuming that this is simply a misunderstanding as well, answer the main question that I asked you before asking the above. Then perhaps we can dialog again about my doctrine vs. yours.
Exactly what theological teaching of mine do you hate and why do you hate it?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Marvin Knox

Senior Veteran
May 9, 2014
✟84,598.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Marvin,
Have not been involved in the conversation completely but you confused me.
Post #648
Post #662
Post #668
Why did you go through at least 2 posts explaining that generation is birth? only to say that generation is not birth?
I did not do that.

What I did do was go through at least 2 posts explaining that the invisible generation of our natural life and our natural public birth are not the same thing - not even close. Life in the natural example given by our Lord doesn't start at birth or when a baby shows a certain amount of potential or any other such thing - no matter what the people at Planned Parenthood try to convince us of.

Then I said that neither are regeneration and the new birth the same things.

The Lord gave us a very pointed and detailed example that was easy to understand when He explained to Nicodemus that a person must have a radical paradigm shift in his life if they are to function in the Kingdom of God.

Nicodemus apparently misunderstood the facts that natural men are spiritually dead and that they needed to be regenerated in order that they could enter into the Kingdom of God under the Lordship of the Holy Spirit of God.

Whatever else spiritual life entails - all theologians have agreed that to be spiritually alive is to be united again with the Holy Spirit. Those not united with Him are dead and need that connection that was severed in the fall of Adam.

(Jesus said, "Let the dead bury their dead.")

Nicodemus was so misunderstanding the birth illustration, that Jesus gave him another parallel illustration to show him how these things worked. He linked the idea of the need for spiritual life to be infused again in all men and the idea of the new birth - to the activities of the wind (the wind being a type of the Holy Spirit in the scriptures).

He told him in this illustration that the Wind (the Holy Spirit) worked in ways which we could not really see much less fully understand. We can see the results of the activities of the wind or the Spirit. But they are only the results of it or His work. The results are not actually the wind in the natural world or the Holy Spirit who is working inwardly in the spiritual application.

He was teaching Nicodemus that the required new birth would be the visible result of the Holy Spirit's secret work. It is very similar in both of the illustrations from the natural world that He taught to Nicodemus.

This is not only what is directly taught in the scriptures here and elsewhere. This is illustrated many times - very notably in what Jesus told Peter concerning his confession of Christ. No one can say Jesus is Lord except by the Holy Spirit- at least not from the heart. It must be taught to them by the Father who's Spirit is working in the person prior to their confession. Also the story of Lydia illustrates this Bible truth in a very straight forward example. The Lord opened her heart in order that she could respond to the gospel when it was preached to her.

These concepts should not surprise us in light of what the scriptures say about the abysmal condition of natural men in and of themselves. No natural man seeks God. No natural man can come to Jesus. No natural man can understand in a truly heartfelt way and apply to their own life the Spiritual truths embodied in the gospel and the Word of God in general.

What is necessary is a "new creation" - a creation wherein the Holy Spirit now resides as He did in the case of the first Adam who had the breath of "lives" breathed into his breathing places when he was first created.

I have belabored these things (at least in a rough partial form) because people don't seem to understand where Reformed thinking comes from.

It would appear that many think that Reformed theologians have made up their doctrines out of whole cloth because they are evil false teachers and want to make up false doctrines in order to teach wrongly.

The truth, however, is that Reformed theologians have these and many other scriptures and concepts (like the golden chain or salvation for instance) which they have attempted as best they are able to place in a systematic order so that we can believe correctly and not just be led around by our emotions as some appear to be.

Often times Reformed theologians go too far in their systematic methods and use false logic themselves to teach these things. So called "limited atonement" is a good example of their logic taking certain scriptures too far and winding up muddying the waters and teaching falsehoods themselves. They are not (as is the other side often) letting their emotions hold sway. They are instead IMO letting merely human logic hold sway when writing their theologies. Limited atonement as it is often taught (and very prominently here in this section of the forum) is a perfect example of human logic being taken too far.

I know that I get pretty long winded. But it's just that there are so many misunderstanding involved in these debates. The sloppy and slip shod ideas that most have about what it means to be born again is a perfect example.

Quick cursory posts just don't do the subject justice IMO.

The whole idea from my perspective is not to teach these things in the depth that would be done in a class or in a systematic theology paper on the subject.

I would settle for just tweaking the noble spirit of some Berean enough that he would at least investigate where the other side gets it's ideas. Those Bereans hopefully will come from the full on Calvinist side of things and from the emotionally charge opposition as well.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Marvin Knox

Senior Veteran
May 9, 2014
✟84,598.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
When will any Calvinist provide a Scripture to support this unsupported claim?

Regeneration and salvation occur at the same time. I can take you through the grammar of 1 Jn 5:1 to prove it. The "believing ones" is a present participle, and they occur at the SAME TIME as the action of the main verb. The main verb is "has been born of God". They occur at the same time. End of discussion.
They exist at the same time.

That is not the same as saying that they "occur" at the same time.

I'm using the two words in the way shown below.

"exist" = to have real being whether material or spiritual
"occur" = to come into existence : to happen

You are using the two words in quite another way. One that is not warranted by the grammar of the passage in 1 John 5:1. You seem to do that sort of thing a lot here.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
That's old history by now. I said let's start over from the beginning as if there had been a simple misunderstanding between us before.

So I ask you again.

Then, assuming that this is simply a misunderstanding as well, answer the main question that I asked you before asking the above. Then perhaps we can dialog again about my doctrine vs. yours.
If you want to let it go, let's let it go. Othewise, let's just let it be. I've explained twice and if you do not understand now, you are not going too

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
They exist at the same time.

That is not the same as saying that they "occur" at the same time.

I'm using the two words in the way shown below.

"exist" = to have real being whether material or spiritual
"occur" = to come into existence : to happen

You are using the two words in quite another way. One that is not warranted by the grammar of the passage in 1 John 5:1. You seem to do that sort of thing a lot here.
Why do you not just explain what you believe exists and occurs during salvation? That sounds much simpler and will get us to the point quicker.

Reactions: brotherjerry
Upvote 0

brotherjerry

Apr 28, 2006
✟9,581.00
Faith
Baptist
Actually, the Bible does describe certain believers as partners. Heb 3:1 and 3:14 use the word "metachoi".

metochos
1) sharing in, partaking
2) a partner (in a work, office, dignity)

However, the word is never used in any sense of helping Christ to save us, as ZachB suggested. It's about fellowship with Him. Those who are "in fellowship" are His partners.
FG...just as a note on both of these. When they mention "partakers" or use 'metachoi' the "partnership" is not with Christ, it is with other partakers.
Hebrews 3:1 "Therefore, holy brethren, partakers of a heavenly calling, consider Jesus...." The partaking is not done with God in this verse, it is done with brethren.
Hebrews 3:14 "For we have become partakers of Christ..." Again this is not partaking with Christ, but of Christ...so the partakers...or partners are you and I.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Nicodemus apparently misunderstood the facts that natural men are spiritually dead and that they needed to be regenerated in order that they could enter into the Kingdom of God under the Lordship of the Holy Spirit of God.
Do you regenerated as your word instead of born-again? Born-again is biblical, so why make it so confusing.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Whatever else spiritual life entails - all theologians have agreed that to be spiritually alive is to be united again with the Holy Spirit. Those not united with Him are dead and need that connection that was severed in the fall of Adam.
Diagree.

To be spiritually alive is to have your sins forgiven by Jesus Christ and His justification and righteousness.

The Holy Spirit is given to us for many reasons, one being that our spirit TESTIFIES WITH the Holy Spirit that we are the children of God.

Upvote 0

expos4ever

Oct 22, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
✟251,078.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It appears that you read that opinion and decided that you needed to counter it with a nasty counter opinion. IMO you did it simply because you hate me because you believe (wrongly) that I am a Calvinist.
To say that I have no idea what you are talking about it is an understatement.

Upvote 0

brotherjerry

Apr 28, 2006
✟9,581.00
Faith
Baptist
Marvin,

I did not do that.
So a miscommunication or just a hindrance of the printed word vs face to face.

What is necessary is a "new creation" - a creation wherein the Holy Spirit now resides as He did in the case of the first Adam who had the breath of "lives" breathed into his breathing places when he was first created.
Now this I agree with...is something I have stated before as well. :)

No natural man seeks God. No natural man can come to Jesus. No natural man can understand in a truly heartfelt way and apply to their own life the Spiritual truths embodied in the gospel and the Word of God in general.
Now this I have a bit of a difference of opinion on. For only natural men can come to know Jesus, those that are spiritual already know Jesus. It is only a natural man who seeks God for salvation, because someone who is saved is already saved.

Until you have the indwelling of the Spirit, you are a natural man. There is no third category of people that are almost spiritual, or that are natural men but have spiritual knowledge. The Bible never declares anything like that. There were all sorts of examples of natural men who sought Jesus; Judas Iscariot for one, the rich young ruler for another, all natural men who sought salvation, who wanted a savior, but when one was presented to them they rejected Him. The Gospel is a message for everyone and everyone can understand it, accepting it or rejecting it is entirely up to that person to do so.

Often times Reformed theologians go too far in their systematic methods and use false logic themselves to teach these things. So called "limited atonement" is a good example of their logic taking certain scriptures too far and winding up muddying the waters and teaching falsehoods themselves. They are not (as is the other side often) letting their emotions hold sway. They are instead IMO letting merely human logic hold sway when writing their theologies. Limited atonement as it is often taught (and very prominently here in this section of the forum) is a perfect example of human logic being taken too far.
And see...here is something else we agree with :) If we keep going we might actually join forces, so to speak...LOL

Quick cursory posts just don't do the subject justice IMO.

The whole idea from my perspective is not to teach these things in the depth that would be done in a class or in a systematic theology paper on the subject.

I would settle for just tweaking the noble spirit of some Berean enough that he would at least investigate where the other side gets it's ideas. Those Bereans hopefully will come from the full on Calvinist side of things and from the emotionally charge opposition as well
Amen to that.

Upvote 0

Marvin Knox

Senior Veteran
May 9, 2014
✟84,598.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
If you want to let it go, let's let it go. Othewise, let's just let it be. I've explained twice and if you do not understand now, you are not going too
Great!

That's fine. Let's do that. We won't compare notes.

I read your next few posts here and they don't seem to make any sense at all.

If you find the time in the future though - could you please explain your take on the golden chain of salvation and particularly as it relates to the effectual call?

Since you have been so thoroughly opposed to my stance on such things, I would love to hear what you came up with when you worked through it as you surely must have to be so firm in your position.

We don't need to have a give and take on your ideas since you don't seem to understand me. I just want to know what you see there.

Thanks - if you wouldn't mind.

Upvote 0