✟15,112.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Hello,
My name is Monica. I was baptized Mormon, but I don't remember when. I think I baptized myself without really understanding because I wanted to be part of something. I am a questioning Christian I suppose. I want to believe, and I can see all the many blessing God and Christ have given me, but I don't understand why I cannot give myself fully to God. I suppose I am wondering if anyone may understand what I am feeling. And other than prayer, if there is anything I could do to find myself. I have not gone to church in about 1 year. I just don't know which church to go to. If anyone has any advice, I would greatly appreciate it.

heymikey80

Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum viditur
Dec 18, 2005
✟34,309.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Yes. I'm pretty academic, I could just throw out "Romans 7:14-8:1" to read, but ... if you're wondering what I'm talking about, I've described below. It sounds like you ... only, it's the Apostle Paul. What you're describing is the situation a real Christian slams into, when he's accepted Christ, but doesn't "catch" how the rules have changed. And really, we all live under this same situation.

If you're into "garden path" learning, this might help. Otherwise, drop it.

"For I delight in the law of God, in my inner being, 23but I see in my members another law waging war against the law of my mind and making me captive to the law of sin that dwells in my members. 24Wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death? 25Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, I myself serve the law of God with my mind, but with my flesh I serve the law of sin." Romans 7.

This is the end of an artificial chapter break (don't look yet). Prior to it, Paul goes on for two paragraphs saying he feels exactly the way you do.

You can't get away from this. You simply can't.

Focus on those last two verses for a second. See what it's saying? "Jesus is going to save me! So: I am still serving sin in my body. Even though my mind can see the good, I can't get there."

It sounds like what you're talking about? So ... look at the next verse. Ignore the chapter break: Paul didn't put that there, and it's obvious from the grammar:

1There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. 2For the law of the Spirit of life has set you free in Christ Jesus from the law of sin and death. 3For God has done what the law, weakened by the flesh, could not do. Romans 8

Again, it's easy to miss because Paul doesn't speak in modern English:

"Therefore [why? because Jesus is going to save me] now [not when I "get better", but right now] there is no condemnation for those in Christ Jesus ..."

What happened?

The rules have changed. There's this thing called "grace" in theology, "unearned favor" you might call it. The rules of unearned favor now apply, when Jesus Christ is involved. It's not easy to describe how the rules have changed, because we're all learning how they work. The best example I've found so far is the example of a parent watching his toddler take their first steps.

It's not how well executed the steps -- it's who's child it is. For performance, watch the Olympics. For grace, watch how children are encouraged to grow.

That's how we gain forgiveness, joy, love from God and love for everyone, reliance on Christ, and yes, the Spirit of God Who can actually do something with us, even when we can't do anything with ourselves.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Lucis

Lost soul
Apr 26, 2009
haruðóz
✟8,467.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I have not gone to church in about 1 year. I just don't know which church to go to. If anyone has any advice, I would greatly appreciate it.

The Pentecostals are usually fun. I want to start going to church too, I tried a Lutheran one earlier, but I just didn't fit in. Mostly people there that had been Christian their entire life, and I had long hair and lots of questions, so they didn't like me much I think. So I guess I'll try something Pentecostal/Spirit-filled the next time.

Upvote 0

ChildOfGod97

Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
✟16,465.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Hello,
My name is Monica. I was baptized Mormon, but I don't remember when. I think I baptized myself without really understanding because I wanted to be part of something. I am a questioning Christian I suppose. I want to believe, and I can see all the many blessing God and Christ have given me, but I don't understand why I cannot give myself fully to God. I suppose I am wondering if anyone may understand what I am feeling. And other than prayer, if there is anything I could do to find myself. I have not gone to church in about 1 year. I just don't know which church to go to. If anyone has any advice, I would greatly appreciate it.

Not sure what you mean by "giving yourself fully to God".

Sounds like a loaded term. God gives, we get. Some churches ask a wide laundry list of requirements for things for people to do. Jesus asks that we keep his word and put his word into practice.

What is that word? Love one another. Love one's enemies. Turn the other cheek. Take up the cross. 'Do not judge', 'do not condemn'. Be merciful in your judgments and condemnations. As the Apostle John said, "Live as He did".

Why do we believe? Because of parents or peers? No. Because of what Jesus said, we recognize it for the truth.

What would this world be like if people did as Jesus did and put his teachings into practice? No war. No slander. No hating of enemies. Peacemakers.

Upvote 0

banish'd

Shekinah Glory
Feb 6, 2010
San Francisco
✟15,776.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Hello Monica,

You were baptized as a Mormon, so that is most likely where you will find yourself. I disagree with most of what the Mormons believe, but lets face it, you are a Mormon.

I haven't taken instructions with the Mormons, but I know this much. The Mormons believe in pre-existence. In other words, you were born to Mormon parents because of your non rebellious actions during your previous life. It's supposed to be a reward to be born as a Mormon.

Having already started with those beliefs that are found in the Book of Mormon, it's really going to add confusion by switching over to a Catholic/Protestant type of a religion.

It would be easy to start from zero, but you have to give up your Mormon beliefs plus learn a whole new set of Christian beliefs at the same time.

What did you mean by saying that you baptized yourself? Why aren't you a member of a Ward right now? What church have you been away from for a year.

As usual, the question is whether a man is involved in those religious decisions, or are you making your own decision?

-

Upvote 0

heymikey80

Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum viditur
Dec 18, 2005
✟34,309.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Thank you all so much. It has been a great deal help. I think I am ready for a change, I guess I have been my own enemy. I just need to let go, I just need to learn how.
It's not easy, you're right.

I don't think it's that hard to make a transition. I've found mostly I have to understand things to get on the right track: and two conservative Presbyterian denominations have helped me: PCA and EPC.

You may need something that's ... not as radical a change. A moderate Baptist church is a likely go-between, or a Church of God or even a conservative Methodist Church or Church of Christ (though you have to be careful: I'm not talking about certain churches going by the name "International Churches of Christ" or "Boston Church of Christ").

Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,524.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
IIRC, the LDS believe they have 'restored' things. What they often don't realize is that the ancient faith still exists and never went anywhere, just because Joseph Smith wasn't familiar with it is irrelevant. Perhaps, you should explore that ancient faith and what it believes and go from there.

I am sorry to tell you that an LDS baptism isn't valid. LDS believe many things about Christ that make your religion quite different from the Christian religion. These are not petty differences either, despite what some here may tell you. Who we say Christ is actually matters.

OCA - The Orthodox Faith

If you want to be a Christian, you must be baptized into Christ and live out your faith in Christ's Holy Church.

Upvote 0

Peripatetic

Restless mind, peaceful soul.
Feb 28, 2010
✟22,095.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do you have any Christian friends? If so, I'd start by having some conversations with them about the differences between the core beliefs of your churches. Then I'd read some resources that describe the difference between the Bible and the Book of Mormon. Try to attend a church service of some kind to get a sense. And don't let anyone tell you that you can't change. God wants people from any background to join His flock.

Upvote 0

childofGod31

May 13, 2006
✟17,291.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hi,
In order to give yourself to God fully, you first must love Him. In order to love Him, you first must get to know Him. Start with reading the Bible first. Read it with the purpose of getting to know God. Read between the lines. Try to see into His heart. If you see things there that you admire about Him, tell Him. He loves to hear from us. If there is anything you are thankful for, tell Him, it warms His heart. If you long for Him, tell Him, He longs for you too. If there is a problem, tell Him (in other words, you can cry on His shoulder), He longs to comfort you.

In other words, talk to Him as though He were right there in your room. (and He is, by the Spirit). He is inside of us. He is everywhere. He hears us and constantly watches us. He feels our feelings, so He knows what you feel before you tell Him, but it will be good for you to express it. It's nice to hear it said too. For example, if your friend loves you and you already know it, it's still nice to actually hear it.

After I got to know Him personally and fell in love with Him, He is now my everything. He is the best thing that I have in my life (and my life is pretty good). But without Him it would just be life. But with Him, it's a fairytale. He talks to me. He told me so many things. It makes me dizzy (so to speak) to feel so loved and so cherished. I found out that He really is much more loving then we thought.

He is not a religion. We must remember that. We don't have to go to church in order to come and talk to God, in order to find Him. In fact, there are many who go to church but don't know God because they never learned to talk to Him in a daily relationship. Going to church is for fellowshipping with other believers, not for actually personally finding God.

So talk to Him, develop your relationship, and then He will come into you and give you a new birth. Because we don't invite Jesus into our hearts by saying the words. We invite Him by opening our heart, by surrendering our lives and will to Him. But when we do it only by saying the words, it would be like if someone invited a friend in, but then closed the door in His face. There are many who invite Jesus to come in, but then go home and close their hearts and Jesus cannot get in. He cannot forcefully come until you first WITH YOUR ACTIONS call Him. Call Him by seeking His face all the time, by seeking the kingdom first, by making time for Him and you. Then He will come and become one with you and make you born again. And then you will experience love like you've never known. And then your future will be secure.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

karenrose

Apr 16, 2010
✟7,616.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Private
Hi there. I hope you will study the teachings of the Churches closely and directly, and not take the words of those who post about those Churches, unless they are members, since I often see a lot of misinformation circulating about beliefs of others by those who are not members of those Churches. So if you're checking out a partic. denom, go to them, not to someone who thinks they know what they believe.

I'd also go back, as someone suggested, and revisit your roots, what they believe, and how it differs from others' faiths and why. And then prayerfully go about this... ask God to guide you, to individuals and to understanding to know what you are feeling and why, and what you need to do to become close to the Lord again.

With love... sister in Christ

Upvote 0