This is My bible

franky67

Senior Veteran
Jul 22, 2005
✟21,351.00
Faith
Word of Faith
“This is my Bible. I am what it says I am, I have what it says I have, I can do what it says I can do. Today I’ll be taught the Word of God. I boldly confess my mind is alert, my heart is receptive, I’ll never be the same, in Jesus name.”

Joel Osteen says this before each message. Comments ?

Reactions: Tina W

farout

Standing firm for Christ
Nov 23, 2015
Mid West of the good USA
✟14,048.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
“This is my Bible. I am what it says I am, I have what it says I have, I can do what it says I can do. Today I’ll be taught the Word of God. I boldly confess my mind is alert, my heart is receptive, I’ll never be the same, in Jesus name.”

Joel Esteen is leading people to the feel good gospel! His words are a ticket where I don't want to go.

Upvote 0

Blondepudding

Who Sprinkled You With Grumpy Dust?
Dec 26, 2015
Here and now
✟19,720.00
Faith
Ignostic
Marital Status
Married
The gospel is said to be the good news delivered by god's only son, Jesus Christ. I'd hope it would be a feel good bit of good news.
As to the quote in the OP, it sounds biblical to me.
The bible tells the believer who and what they are. It tells them what they can do with the power of god indwelling the faithful. The faithful attend church to be taught the word of god and in order to receive that teaching, it is best their mind is alert and their heart receptive. And being that redemption is said to make one reborn in the spirit of god, it stands then that they will never be the same.
What could be wrong with a pastor that gives an opening synopsis that encompasses what the entire bible delivers as the words of god?

Reactions: tturt
Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟560,835.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I guess the way to say it is that we have no choice but to be what He says we are. We have no choice to have what He says we have. We have no choice to do what He says to do.
Faith is no choice. It is what it is.
We have no choice but to walk by faith and not by sight.

Upvote 0

franky67

Senior Veteran
Jul 22, 2005
✟21,351.00
Faith
Word of Faith
<Staff Edit>

Psalm 23

" The Lord is MY shepherd, I shall not want. He makes ME lie down in green pastures, He leads ME beside still water, He restores MY soul, He leads ME in the paths of righteousness for His namesake, even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil for thou art with ME, thy rod and thy staff, they comfort ME, Thou dost prepare a table before ME in the presence of MINE enemies, Thou hast anointed MY head with oil, MY cup overflows, surely goodness and kindness shall follow ME all the days of MY life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever."

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

jiminpa

Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2004
✟282,507.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The first part acknowledges the authority of scripture and the second declares anticipation of God's written word to change the hearer. I don't see a problem myself. I guess it depends on how much you are looking for there to be a problem, and what you would do with the empowerment of God's word. I am grateful that God gives me strength and more tools to go out and do His work and grow in love in Him.

Reactions: Truthfrees
Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟795,766.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
<Staff Edit>
franky67, love your post #8.

If born again folks really believed all that is entailed in that statement, the church would be living up to our potential. We would have an accurate picture of Yahweh and love Him and love others as ourselves.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tina W

Dec 24, 2014
Arizona, USA
✟20,523.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat

Sounds good to me. :)

Upvote 0

FoundInGrace

God's sparrow
Dec 27, 2003
✟38,472.00
Faith
Christian
I thought the Bible was to tell us about God.
How else would we know about who God is without the Bible.
God was very good to give us His Word the Bible so we could be reconciled to Him and saved from our sins and have a relationship with Him. I personally think the Bible is there to tell us about God so we can know Him.

Upvote 0

FoundInGrace

God's sparrow
Dec 27, 2003
✟38,472.00
Faith
Christian
I too find Joel's statement is not about God but about Joel and what he thinks he can get out of God.. it's just a personal thing but that's how it reads to me as well. I am not the best example of this but I thought we were supposed to give our lives to God out of thankfulness for His salvation and what He gave to us, not get what we can out of God for our own sake. Its a subtle change of focus but the change is enough for me to find that statement that he gives at the beginning of each sermon not very good.

Upvote 0

FoundInGrace

God's sparrow
Dec 27, 2003
✟38,472.00
Faith
Christian
"This is my Bible that God has given to me and my brothers and sisters so we can learn about Him. By His Grace and Mercy alone I am what it says I am, by His Grace and Mercy alone I have what it says I have, by His Grace and Mercy alone I can do what it says I can do in the authority of the Lord Jesus Christ that He has in His mercy incredibly given to us. Today I’ll be taught the Word of God, please anoint the words I will hear so that I will not be led astray, grant me discernment to hear Your Voice Lord God and Yours alone. I humbly confess my mind is alert, please let me grow in knowledge of You today, my heart is receptive - Father forgive me for the times I have come before you unreceptive and help me to hear You today, I pray I’ll never be the same so that more of You can shine out of my life, in Jesus name.”

AMENDED QUOTE

a version that includes our Father God

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

FoundInGrace

God's sparrow
Dec 27, 2003
✟38,472.00
Faith
Christian
Thing is as well is that what Joel thinks those things are and what God says those things actually are, are unfortunately quite different sometimes.
So his focus, I believe, is more about what we can get out of God than give to God out of thankfulness. Its a shame as he seems to be a likeable persone

Upvote 0

franky67

Senior Veteran
Jul 22, 2005
✟21,351.00
Faith
Word of Faith
I too find Joel's statement is not about God but about Joel and what he thinks he can get out of God.. it's just a personal thing but that's how it reads to me as well. I am not the best example of this but I thought we were supposed to give our lives to God out of thankfulness for His salvation and what He gave to us, not get what we can out of God for our own sake. Its a subtle change of focus but the change is enough for me to find that statement that he gives at the beginning of each sermon not very good.

I am not a regular watcher of Joel, but I do stop and listen when I happen to surf across him.

I have found in his sermons, a common theme, that is "equip the saints"

In the quoted preface "this is my bible" , he is telling his listeners that they are endowed by God's Spirit, to go out and do the work. The same work that Jesus instructed His disciples to go out and do.

Joel in another message a few weeks ago, spoke of the indwelling Spirit in every believer, which enables them to propagate the Gospel, He said "the power that created the universe indwells in each believer ".

We can listen to any speaker with the intent of finding a fault, and we will find that fault.

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
The words are true, therefore I don't think we can find fault in them per se. If there is any fault it will be found in the context.

Joel uses these words as an affirmation to begin every sermon. As far as congregational affirmations go, while this one is true, I personally find it pretty pedestrian. I'm nowhere near being a liturgical guy, but I much prefer something that can be heard more traditional churches:

I believe in God, the Father almighty,
creator of heaven and earth.

I believe in Jesus Christ, his only Son, our Lord,
who was conceived by the Holy Spirit,
born of the Virgin Mary,
suffered under Pontius Pilate,
was crucified, died, and was buried;
On the third day he rose again;
he ascended into heaven,
he is seated at the right hand of the Father,
and he will come to judge the living and the dead.

I believe in the Holy Spirit,
the holy catholic Church,
the communion of saints,
the forgiveness of sins,
the resurrection of the body,
and the life everlasting.
Amen.​

I will gladly admit to a thrill at hearing these beautiful words echo through the congregation, to a sense of community, of not being alone in my walk with the Lord.

Many disparage Joel for one reason or another. They feel he doesn't preach the full gospel. But what he does preach is true, and is well-preached. I am not the only one who, having been burned by the church, found a place of rest and restoration in his televised services. Most eventually move on, and that probably is a good thing. But I find it hard to be critical toward one who helped me when I needed it.

I think that unless there is error involved that is serious enough that it must be dealt with, our attitude should be more benign.

Some indeed preach Christ from envy and rivalry, but others from good will. The latter do it out of love, knowing that I am put here for the defense of the gospel. The former proclaim Christ out of selfish ambition, not sincerely but thinking to afflict me in my imprisonment.
What then? Only that in every way, whether in pretense or in truth, Christ is proclaimed, and in that I rejoice. Yes, and I will rejoice, -Phil 1:15-18​

Upvote 0

Truthfrees

Site Supporter
May 20, 2015
✟277,188.00
Faith
Word of Faith
A big part of Joel's ministry is to encourage believers that God loves them in a special individual way.

I see this opening confession as a marvelous method to get people to accept God's love right at the start of each service, so that they can be fully blessed by the truth during the service.

It's concise, to the point, accurate, easy to remember.

I see only good coming from this.

Hurting Christians find great blessing in what God does for them through Joel's ministry.

Praise God for Joel Osteen, a guy who never wanted to be onstage in the first place.

God through Joel affects people in a very deep life-changing way!

God through Joel almost completely erases the devastation feel-bad preachers have done to the Body of Christ!

:clap:

Upvote 0