1John2:4

Jun 8, 2016
New Braunfels, TX
✟32,608.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Hi I know my name here is John but I am a female. I wanted to ask you about coming into the Messianic movement. My husband is not on board with it at all, he constantly makes remarks that I am legalistic and is really ugly to me about all of it. I joined small Messianic group but he kept calling it a cult so I stopped going and I just read the bible and watch some Messianic teachers online. When he sees the videos I watch it makes him angry. My mother is Jewish so we have kept feasts with her and my husband gets very angry when we do. The Shabbat is sometimes very volatile even though I do not push it on him, I just asked that he respects me by not allowing me to work, buy or sell. I have turned down 2 promotions at work because they wanted me to work the Shabbat and I think that has really added much fuel to the fire. I am just asking for someone to share a testimony like mine or just offer me some advice. Shalom

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Hi 1John2:4 and welcome to the MJ forum!

I'm sorry to hear of your interrelationship 'war'. I call it a 'war' because that is what it is. Paul spoke of this when he said that 'we do not wrestle (war) against flesh and blood but against principalities, against powers, against the world's rulers, of the darkness of this age, against spiritual wickedness in high places.'

I have been in the same boat as you are now. It even got so bad at one time that I had to hide everything that said 'Jewish' to him.
It was a long hard road but I didn't stop keeping the commandments for him and through prayer and example I guess he came around to realizing this and even joined a Messianic Congregation with me.

Besides prayer and keeping to your beliefs the only thing I can offer is that by this reaction he has you are witnessing that not only does HaShem exist (not that you needed that :) ) but that His mitzvot are still for today and those who keep them are those who love him and will be rewarded for doing so one day. But that means that the Adversary will do all he can to stop us from keeping them including using your own husband against you because he knows that keeping G-ds commandments is the truth and he loses another that can be like him and be in rebellion against G-d.

Just remember Hazak Hazak V'nitkhazek!

Reactions: Soyeong
Upvote 0

Jun 8, 2016
New Braunfels, TX
✟32,608.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Hi 1John2:4 and welcome to the MJ forum!

I'm sorry to hear of your interrelationship 'war'. I call it a 'war' because that is what it is. Paul spoke of this when he said that 'we do not wrestle (war) against flesh and blood but against principalities, against powers, against the world's rulers, of the darkness of this age, against spiritual wickedness in high places.'

I have been in the same boat as you are now. It even got so bad at one time that I had to hide everything that said 'Jewish' to him.
It was a long hard road but I didn't stop keeping the commandments for him and through prayer and example I guess he came around to realizing this and even joined a Messianic Congregation with me.

Besides prayer and keeping to your beliefs the only thing I can offer is that by this reaction he has you are witnessing that not only does HaShem exist (not that you needed that :) ) but that His mitzvot are still for today and those who keep them are those who love him and will be rewarded for doing so one day. But that means that the Adversary will do all he can to stop us from keeping them including using your own husband against you because he knows that keeping G-ds commandments is the truth and he loses another that can be like him and be in rebellion against G-d.

Just remember Hazak Hazak V'nitkhazek!
Thank you so much for your encouragement. It really means so much, at times I feel like I'm going it alone. I have my mom to but she will not discuss Yeshua and my sister is AG so if I bring up law she goes through the roof while quoting Galatians. I am so happy that you replied:) your story has given me hope.
Shalom

Reactions: Lulav
Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,322.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Hi I know my name here is John but I am a female. I wanted to ask you about coming into the Messianic movement. My husband is not on board with it at all, he constantly makes remarks that I am legalistic and is really ugly to me about all of it. I joined small Messianic group but he kept calling it a cult so I stopped going and I just read the bible and watch some Messianic teachers online. When he sees the videos I watch it makes him angry. My mother is Jewish so we have kept feasts with her and my husband gets very angry when we do. The Shabbat is sometimes very volatile even though I do not push it on him, I just asked that he respects me by not allowing me to work, buy or sell. I have turned down 2 promotions at work because they wanted me to work the Shabbat and I think that has really added much fuel to the fire. I am just asking for someone to share a testimony like mine or just offer me some advice. Shalom

Hello and welcome!

There are 1,050 commands in the NT, so why is legalistic to obey the 613 commands in the OT, but not the commands in the NT? Was Jesus legalistic when he lived in complete obedience to the Mosaic law? Legalism is not in regard to whether you think one or many laws should be obeyed, but rather it is in regard to the manner in which you obey them. In other words, do you obey God's commands because of what you will be owed in return for your obedience in order to glory yourself or because you will be owed your justification? Or do you obey God's commands in order to glory God, because you want to demonstrate your faith in Him to lead you in how to rightly live that His commands are for your own good (Deuteronomy 10:13), and because that want demonstrate you love to God (John 14:15). Do you follow the law according to the letter or do you seek to understand the deeper spiritual principles behind the law of which the laws are just examples (Romans 7:14)?

The problem is Romans 9:30-32 was not that Israel failed to obtain righteousness because they obeyed what God told them to and God gave them faulty commands, but rather the problem was that they pursued God's law legalistically as through righteousness were by works instead of pursuing God's law spiritually as though righteousness were by faith. A relationship with Messiah is the goal of the law (Romans 10:4) so obedience to the law has always been about developing a relationship with God based on faith and love, while God has always disdained it when His people honored Him with their lips while their hearts were far from Him (Isaiah 29:13, Mark 7:6-8). God has always been primarily concerned with where our heart it at, so what good is it for someone to outwardly obey God's law and make and offering if they aren't repentant in their heart and they don't draw close to God?

According to Romans 4:1-8, Abraham and David were justified by faith, and the one and only way to become justified is by faith, so Moses was justified by faith apart from the law, which means that the law was never given nor needed for that purpose. In other words, the law was not given as instructions for what to do in order to become righteous, but rather it was given to instruct those that God had declared righteous by faith how to do what is righteous by faith. So if you were trying to become justified by obeying the law, then you would be perverting it into legalism, but it does not follow that because you shouldn't obey the law that purpose for which it was never intended that therefore we shouldn't obey it for the reasons for which it was given.

According to Deuteronomy 6:20-25, obedience to the Mosaic law is about demonstrating faith in God to defeat Pharaoh, to lead them out of Egypt, to give them the land that He sword to their fathers, that His commands are for our own good, in God to preserve us. It is because we trust God that we are careful to obey all of His instructions. Hebrews 11 is full of examples of people who demonstrated their faith by obeying God's instructions.

A theme of Exodus is about God revealing who He is through His actions as the God who took them out of Egypt and through His law as being merciful and gracious, slow to anger, and abounding in steadfast love and faithfulness, keeping steadfast love for thousands, forgiving iniquity and transgression and sin, but who will by no means clear the guilty, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children and the children's children, to the third and the fourth generation (Exodus 34:6-7). Obedience to the law is also about revealing who God is to the nations (Deuteronomy 4:5-8). The law was given to reveal how to do what is holy, righteous, and good (Romans 7:12) and to thereby instruct us about God's holiness, righteousness, and goodness. However, the law was also given to reveal what sin is, how God would deal with sin, and to point us to the one who could redeem us from sin. Jesus said that if we love him, then keep his commands, so obedience to God's law is about demonstrating our love for Him. Jesus summarized the law as being instructions for how to love God and our neighbor (Matthew 22:36-40). It's about entering into life that is life (Matthew 19:17), about following the good way where we will find rest for our souls (Jeremiah 6:16-19), and about delighting in God (Psalms 1:1-2, Romans 7:22).

A relationship with Messiah based on faith is the goal of the law (Romans 10:4), so if you read the law and miss that it is about teaching us about Messiah, then you've missed the whole point. Prior to Paul's conversion, he had been keeping the law without its focus on growing in a relationship with Messiah based on faith, so he had been missing the whole point, which is why he considered it to be rubbish (Philippians 3:8).

The law is the way (Jeremiah 6:16-19), the truth (Psalms 119:142), and the life (Deuteronomy 30:15-20, Matthew 19:17), Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life (John 14:6), the law is God's word, and Messiah is God's word made flesh. The Spirit has the role of leading us in obedience to God's law (Ezekiel 36:26-27), of leading us in truth (John 16:13), and God's law is truth.

If you're interested into going through a verse-by-verse study on Romans, Galatians, of on Finding Messiah in the Torah, then we have it posted online, as well as also sermons and articles:

http://rabbiyeshua.com/

Upvote 0

Jun 8, 2016
New Braunfels, TX
✟32,608.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Thanks for your reply. You took a lot of effort to write such a thought out reply. I hope that I am not keeping the law legalistically. I keep His commands because He wants me to and as His child I should do what the Father asks out of love. I follow the example of Yeshua ") he kept His fathers word, so I keep His word they are One. Thank you for providing links to study.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,322.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Thanks for your reply. You took a lot of effort to write such a thought out reply. I hope that I am not keeping the law legalistically. I keep His commands because He wants me to and as His child I should do what the Father asks out of love. I follow the example of Yeshua ") he kept His fathers word, so I keep His word they are One. Thank you for providing links to study.

You're welcome. I think legalism often starts off with good intentions. For example, when God commanded us not to work on the Sabbath, the natural response is to want to clarify what exactly it means to work so that we can correctly keep the Sabbath and not unintentionally break it. However, by the time of Messiah, they had come up with a long list of traditions for how correctly keep it that they perverted what was supposed to be a simple day of rest into a complicated chore. They had become focused on the minutia of getting all of their ducks in a row and had lost focus on delighting in God. It is sadly an easy trap to fall into, but I think one thing that help is to focus more on the commands to do something than on the commands to not to do something because if you're doing all the right things, then it is easier not to lose focus.

My rabbi is really a gifted teacher, so I hope you enjoy the studies. Hopefully they will post the study on Hebrews soon.

Upvote 0

Jun 8, 2016
New Braunfels, TX
✟32,608.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Thanks again, I try to just stick to what God said not to do on Shabbat. How ever I really love the fact that I don't have to work at my job, cook, clean, shop or make my kids do any of that that stuff it wears me out. I Just get to spend the day with God and family with no pressure, what a blessing right!!

Upvote 0

pinacled

walking with the Shekinah
Apr 29, 2015
United states
✟171,798.77
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Hello and welcome!

There are 1,050 commands in the NT, so why is legalistic to obey the 613 commands in the OT, but not the commands in the NT? Was Jesus legalistic when he lived in complete obedience to the Mosaic law? Legalism is not in regard to whether you think one or many laws should be obeyed, but rather it is in regard to the manner in which you obey them. In other words, do you obey God's commands because of what you will be owed in return for your obedience in order to glory yourself or because you will be owed your justification? Or do you obey God's commands in order to glory God, because you want to demonstrate your faith in Him to lead you in how to rightly live that His commands are for your own good (Deuteronomy 10:13), and because that want demonstrate you love to God (John 14:15). Do you follow the law according to the letter or do you seek to understand the deeper spiritual principles behind the law of which the laws are just examples (Romans 7:14)?

The problem is Romans 9:30-32 was not that Israel failed to obtain righteousness because they obeyed what God told them to and God gave them faulty commands, but rather the problem was that they pursued God's law legalistically as through righteousness were by works instead of pursuing God's law spiritually as though righteousness were by faith. A relationship with Messiah is the goal of the law (Romans 10:4) so obedience to the law has always been about developing a relationship with God based on faith and love, while God has always disdained it when His people honored Him with their lips while their hearts were far from Him (Isaiah 29:13, Mark 7:6-8). God has always been primarily concerned with where our heart it at, so what good is it for someone to outwardly obey God's law and make and offering if they aren't repentant in their heart and they don't draw close to God?

According to Romans 4:1-8, Abraham and David were justified by faith, and the one and only way to become justified is by faith, so Moses was justified by faith apart from the law, which means that the law was never given nor needed for that purpose. In other words, the law was not given as instructions for what to do in order to become righteous, but rather it was given to instruct those that God had declared righteous by faith how to do what is righteous by faith. So if you were trying to become justified by obeying the law, then you would be perverting it into legalism, but it does not follow that because you shouldn't obey the law that purpose for which it was never intended that therefore we shouldn't obey it for the reasons for which it was given.

According to Deuteronomy 6:20-25, obedience to the Mosaic law is about demonstrating faith in God to defeat Pharaoh, to lead them out of Egypt, to give them the land that He sword to their fathers, that His commands are for our own good, in God to preserve us. It is because we trust God that we are careful to obey all of His instructions. Hebrews 11 is full of examples of people who demonstrated their faith by obeying God's instructions.

A theme of Exodus is about God revealing who He is through His actions as the God who took them out of Egypt and through His law as being merciful and gracious, slow to anger, and abounding in steadfast love and faithfulness, keeping steadfast love for thousands, forgiving iniquity and transgression and sin, but who will by no means clear the guilty, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children and the children's children, to the third and the fourth generation (Exodus 34:6-7). Obedience to the law is also about revealing who God is to the nations (Deuteronomy 4:5-8). The law was given to reveal how to do what is holy, righteous, and good (Romans 7:12) and to thereby instruct us about God's holiness, righteousness, and goodness. However, the law was also given to reveal what sin is, how God would deal with sin, and to point us to the one who could redeem us from sin. Jesus said that if we love him, then keep his commands, so obedience to God's law is about demonstrating our love for Him. Jesus summarized the law as being instructions for how to love God and our neighbor (Matthew 22:36-40). It's about entering into life that is life (Matthew 19:17), about following the good way where we will find rest for our souls (Jeremiah 6:16-19), and about delighting in God (Psalms 1:1-2, Romans 7:22).

A relationship with Messiah based on faith is the goal of the law (Romans 10:4), so if you read the law and miss that it is about teaching us about Messiah, then you've missed the whole point. Prior to Paul's conversion, he had been keeping the law without its focus on growing in a relationship with Messiah based on faith, so he had been missing the whole point, which is why he considered it to be rubbish (Philippians 3:8).

The law is the way (Jeremiah 6:16-19), the truth (Psalms 119:142), and the life (Deuteronomy 30:15-20, Matthew 19:17), Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life (John 14:6), the law is God's word, and Messiah is God's word made flesh. The Spirit has the role of leading us in obedience to God's law (Ezekiel 36:26-27), of leading us in truth (John 16:13), and God's law is truth.

If you're interested into going through a verse-by-verse study on Romans, Galatians, of on Finding Messiah in the Torah, then we have it posted online, as well as also sermons and articles:

http://rabbiyeshua.com/
Soyeong.

Let the women speak.

Please do not interupt.

The woman asked with respect. Show a mans wife the due regard of honor.

Upvote 0

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,802.44
Faith
Messianic
I have been in your boots and know the battle. A lot of it is from his own inner turmoil from the conscience, that still small voice of conviction. Pray for him and understand a lot of venom is the evil spirit speaking and/or it is his personal frustration at seeing you in what he sees as losing you to something or somewhere he is not ready or willing to go.

My hubby put up a big battle to get me to come back to his world. He didn't understand nor felt comfortable with my convictions of truth. I never pushed any of it on him, nor have I lost my conviction that I am on the right path. I can say that today more light has shone upon my hubby's soul and the conversion is closer to happening and I would appreciate all prayers for him. He is more tolerant and understanding. He is less judgmental and more curious, so there is hope for you and your love too.

God will direct your ways when you ask Him how you are to live before your love. Ask the Lord to reveal where your hubby's heart is at and where you need to be to truly be his helpmeet. God didn't put you two together for no reason. You can bend my ear any time you want via pm if you would like, and you can ask me to make special requests in this ongoing case of yours. Where two of three gather together, you can be sure that the Lord is all in.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jun 8, 2016
New Braunfels, TX
✟32,608.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I have been in your boots and know the battle. A lot of it is from his own inner turmoil from the conscience, that still small voice of conviction. Pray for him and understand a lot of venom is the evil spirit speaking and/or it is his personal frustration at seeing you in what he sees as losing you to something or somewhere he is not ready or willing to go.

My hubby put up a big battle to get me to come back to his world. He didn't understand nor felt comfortable with my convictions of truth. I never pushed any of it on him, nor have I lost my conviction that I am on the right path. I can say that today more light has shone upon my hubby's soul and the conversion is closer to happening and I would appreciate all prayers for him. He is more tolerant and understanding. He is less judgmental and more curious, so there is hope for you and your love too.

God will direct your ways when you ask Him how you are to live before your love. Ask the Lord to reveal where your hubby's heart is at and where you need to be to truly be his helpmeet. God didn't put you two together for no reason. You can bend my ear any time you want via pm if you would like, and you can ask me to make special requests in this ongoing case of yours. Where two of three gather together, you can be sure that the Lord is all in.
Wow thanks so much for your heart. I will take you up on your offer pray for your hubby too and send you pm. We are commanded to carry each other's burdons. Boots eh' you live in the south in USA too? The good ole Bible belt :)

Upvote 0

ChavaK

להיות טוב ולעשות טוב
May 12, 2005
US
✟158,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
I am not Messianic, and this article concerns Jews married to each other, but the basic principles apply.
I hope it helps you.

http://www.aish.com/f/m/80884607.html
The More Religious Spouse (What to do when she wants shabbos and he wants the football game)

Upvote 0

YESLORDIWILL

Have you not read? 1Sa 20-22, Ps 52
Oct 12, 2012
✟11,533.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I am not Messianic, and this article concerns Jews married to each other, but the basic principles apply.
I hope it helps you.

The More Religious Spouse (What to do when she wants shabbos and he wants the football game)

good article :•) ...trust in the Almighty. Everything is in His hands. If you make your best, most patient, most understanding, most loving effort you can with your spouse and your children, He will take care of the rest ♡

Upvote 0

Jun 8, 2016
New Braunfels, TX
✟32,608.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private

I am embarrassed to ask but how do I send a PM? thanks :)

Upvote 0

Jun 8, 2016
New Braunfels, TX
✟32,608.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I hope it helps you.

Haha I read this one already, it was good thanks so much for your help ")

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married

It is tough going it 'alone' but you aren't alone for HE is with you. I believe you are called to be a living example. Don't worry what others think, or say or do, you are doing what you are called to.

I remember once not only having trouble in house but also in extended house (congregation). But the L-RD showed me a scripture that made me no longer worry and fret about it. I will share it with you.

Ezekiel chapter 3. Read it all and you will understand. If you have any questions you would rather discuss privately please don't hesitate to PM me. :)

Reactions: 1John2:4
Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
When I first began lighting Shabbat candles and saying Kiddish with the children, my husband looked on with eyes that said he thought we were performing some kind of devil worship. We ended up divorcing over entirely different reasons, sort of (he became increasingly paranoid and abusive) but his suspicions of my Jewish practices became one of the reasons he would not talk to me after the divorce, even though we were supposed to be co-parenting.

May you find shalom bayit.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jun 8, 2016
New Braunfels, TX
✟32,608.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
When I first began lighting Shabbat candles and saying Kiddish with the children, my husband looked on with eyes that said he thought we were performing some kind of devil worship. We ended up divorcing over entirely different reasons, sort of (he became increasingly paranoid and abusive) but his suspicions of my Jewish practices became one of the reasons he would not talk to me after the divorce, even though we were supposed to be co-parenting.

May you find shalom bayit.
Thank you so much for sharing :)

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

I know you asked for ladies but may I? Over the years I have seen FAR MORE woman come to this path than men. The problem is, that while God might want you to observe Shabbat, eat clean, et. al., He also isn't very keen on divorce. In my situation, I saw this path before my wife did. But I also recognized that A. I might have been wrong and B. even if she is my wife, I have no right to "force" her against her will. So, I used her as a fleece. I asked the Lord in prayer if it would be HIM and not me that would open her eyes if all this was the direction He desired us to go.

During the first 2 years we went to a congregation a few times and to cut the story short, around the 2 year mark she finally asked, "Why aren't we going to Beit Minorah more often?" We rarely miss since then, that was over a decade ago. My point is, don't lose hope but also don't put unnecessary pressure on your husband either. I am not saying you are, I didn't read anything that suggests you are.... I am just saying to throw him out as a fleece and let God do what God does. Your marriage to your husband is as important to God as you keeping Shabbat.

Brakhot.
Ken

• Agree
Reactions: visionary
Upvote 0