1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting after you have posted 20 posts and have received 5 likes.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2. Please check out our two newest forums, the "Buy, Sell or Trade" (link ) forum in the Society Category, and the "Conspiracy Theories" (link) forum in our Discussion and Debate Category.

Thinking your pain into existence?

Discussion in 'Chronic Pain & Arthritis' started by mikemack, Nov 4, 2011.

1. mikemack

mikemack Newbie

Faith:
    Christian
    Anyone else have this problem?

A long time ago I got some aching in my arms. Couldn't stop thinking about it and it only for worse. Right now I have a sore neck that is fine if I'm distracted ...but the second I focus on it I can't get comfortable and my neck just feels worse and worse.

2. Catherineanne

Catherineanne Well-Known Member

Marital Status:
    Widow/Widower
    Faith:
    Anglican
    It is normal to be able to reduce awareness of pain by focussing on something else. This is not the same thing as thinking it into existence, as you suggest. It is the other way round; thinking it into non existence.

This kind of diversion is a useful pain management strategy, but it is not a solution.