Married
Politics
US-Others

Damaris

May 15, 2015
✟8,728.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
The bias on this story, from the absurd title through the way it was worded in the narrative to the lack of sympathy for this woman. Incredible.

If you'd have told me when I was 15 that this country would turn out like this, I'd have never wanted to get out of bed!

Melissa Klein, Anti-Gay Baker, Cries At Values Voter Summit Over Business Closing

I read that yesterday. There is a sickening level of bias in anything Huffington Post publishes about homosexual issues. They frequently publish pieces about Orthodoxy written by people like Frank Schaeffer and David J. Dunn, who do not adhere to Orthodox teaching and use their platform to undermine it.

Upvote 0

SuperCloud

Sep 8, 2014
✟3,725.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
If it's on the Huffington Post I don't have to read it. I can surmise which way the article leads the reader. Likewise with anything from Fox News.

The journalism course I took in community college taught news stories (aside from needing to meet criteria known as "news values") are supposed to be objective and in doing so attempt to use neutral language and not lead the reader to an opinion. There are exceptions, such as stories that investigative or human interest pieces.

But most the news in the United States and Western World today is biased and led by political, financial, and social interest parties engaged in psychological warfare. The purpose is cultural engineering and engineering election outcomes.

However, I might be remembering incorrectly, but I believe U.S. Federal law prohibits businesses that service the public from discriminating against protected groups. Basically, you can not deny service to someone because of their race, religion, sex, sexual orientation and so forth.

If that is the case then one should not open up a bakery or hotel or car rental company if they are determined to refuse services to customers protected under Federal law.

Should a motel refuse rooms to two women the manager or owner suspects are a lesbian couple? I don't think so.

I'm not so sure baking a cake for the lesbian couple based purely on business would have necessarily made the baker complicit in the couples sin. I mean... there are so many ways to commit sin that all intersects with the daily life of services and goods. We'd all be complicit in the sins of others nearly daily. An unmarried couple checking into the same motel room, if they are of the opposite sex, are almost certainly engaging in sexual sin. Motels and hotels still service them. The public is not outraged and neither are conservatives.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟867,864.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
An unmarried couple checking into the same motel room, if they are of the opposite sex, are almost certainly engaging in sexual sin. Motels and hotels still service them. The public is not outraged and neither are conservatives.

But the motel owner legally should be able to deny them service; i.e., be an "Anti-Fornication Innkeeper" without getting harrassed by the State. The press (peanut gallery) can say what they will, I'm more worried about State intervention in our religious lives.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
believe U.S. Federal law prohibits businesses that service the public from discriminating against protected groups. Basically, you can not deny service to someone because of their race, religion, sex, sexual orientation and so forth.

you can if it is privately owned. a gay restaraunt owner can refuse me for simply being a Christian. people have the right to say no to certain groups, and even to be bigoted and hateful should they choose. free speech works all ways.

Upvote 0

Eretria90

Yes I am One Awesome Eagle
Dec 5, 2006
✟16,966.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Yeah Huffington Post is idiotic. The sad thing is most people on the internet don't know how to think, believe in revisionist history, and read/believe whatever suits the liberal agenda. There was an article some years ago maybe about holy water that they wrote (or it might have been an editorial I can't remember) on HP. It was by far the worst "article" or "editorial" I have ever read in my life; I can't tell you how atrocious it was because they said horrible things about Catholics and Christianity in general.

The "writers" at Huffington Post are sure huffing something if they think I'm going to read and worship their liberal garbage. In fact, I would say reading liberal media tends to make one stupider. Maybe that's why the American population has become so gullible and intolerant.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
you can if it is privately owned. a gay restaraunt owner can refuse me for simply being a Christian. people have the right to say no to certain groups, and even to be bigoted and hateful should they choose. free speech works all ways.

I'm not positive how the law works, but I hope you are right.

I took the innkeeper idea a step further, and I imagined what if you opened a B&B using a few rooms in your home.

Must you offer them to couples who are not married or who are homosexual or who otherwise (in whatever way) go against your personal religious convictions? That hardly seems fair to the person who owns the home.

Although I guess I can never open a B&B. I can't imagine having to ask the questions in order to be comfortable with what's going on in the next room.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
the thing is if it is privately owned and operated, it should be at the discression of the owner. if I open an Orthodox halfway house that is mine, and part of the rule is you must be in Vespers every night, then you either go to Vespers or find some other place

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
the thing is if it is privately owned and operated, it should be at the discression of the owner. if I open an Orthodox halfway house that is mine, and part of the rule is you must be in Vespers every night, then you either go to Vespers or find some other place

Not trying to argue with you, but that doesn't address a legally protected group.

Though in the B&B scenario (and so presumably in the case of the wedding cake bakers) could you not perhaps have some blanket requirement such as the wedding being legally sanctioned by one's Church?

Many businesses have on their signage that they reserve the right to reserve service to anyone.

And in many cases, the person is entering into a service relationship with another person. That ought not be unilaterally enforced. If I offer services as a photographer, for example, and someone who is very disagreeable wants to hire me, I have the right not to work for them, don't i?

But I suppose if I don't want to work for them because of their race, their religion, their handicap, or because they are gay - then supposedly this would be against the law?

Upvote 0

CaDan

I remember orange CF
Site Supporter
Jan 30, 2004
The Society of the Spectacle
✟71,545.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

If this is a statement of the law in the United States, it is just wrong.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
If this is a statement of the law in the United States, it is just wrong.

no, people have the right to be closed minded and refuse service for any reason. if some KKK group owns a bar, they have the right to refuse the service of a minority. they probably won't last long, but they do have that right.

Upvote 0

CaDan

I remember orange CF
Site Supporter
Jan 30, 2004
The Society of the Spectacle
✟71,545.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
no, people have the right to be closed minded and refuse service for any reason. if some KKK group owns a bar, they have the right to refuse the service of a minority. they probably won't last long, but they do have that right.

It may be a philosophical or ethical position to which you hold, but it is not the law of the United States.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It may be a philosophical or ethical position to which you hold, but it is not the law of the United States.

I am pretty sure it is, it's just that most private places still get public support, so when that support goes, the company tanks.

Last edited:
Reactions: seashale76
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟867,864.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

CaDan! So honored by your presence here! But you must have misread the sign. This is "The Ancient Way" not "The Modern Way". :p

Reactions: seashale76
Upvote 0