Jul 1, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟7,723.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have often wondered what this expression means. I have sometimes heard people say 'there, but for the grace of God, go I'; or another variation of the same expression. Why do people say it? What does it actually mean? For some reason, I can't figure it out.:scratch::sorry:

I have also heard a more secular variation, in the lyrics to this Simon and Garfunkel song Kathy's Song, which I believe was written by Paul Simon. There but for the grace of you go I.

Drwhat

Jun 29, 2008
✟423.00
Faith
Wesleyan
Marital Status
Married
Hi Light So Shine,
the expression goes way back to when people still said things like, "God's speed be with you" or "God willing". Many years ago people actually believed that God was sovereign over all creation and that He operates in all to His good will, which of course He does but today Christians really don't believe that never mind that secular nations don't believe in the sovereignity of God either. Most of mankind believe in their supposed own free-wills which makes God merely an equal or even inferior to man.

Now back to your question, God willing. God's grace is not what Orthodox Christianity teaches it is which is just all lovey dovey hearts and flowers and a big fat pat on the back, you know things like he was favoured by God's grace to have a successful business or by God's grace she had twins,etc. Many moons ago Christians also knew that God's grace is also a rod of correction and that His grace can also burn sin out of you, so when something horrific or tragic happened to someone people would say, "There before the grace of God go I". Meaning God must be teaching someone one heck of a hard lesson and that you wouldn't fancy God bursting into your life and teaching you a similar lesson.

Hope that helps a little and here's another expresion seldom heard nowadays but it still stands, "May God's will be done, as it surely will be".

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Light So Shine

Jul 1, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟7,723.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Drwhat said:
"May God's will be done, as it surely will be".

I like that one!:D

It is, indeed, a shame that we don't hear people saying that kind of thing, anymore. It would be sad, if that kind of linguistic heritage, were lost forever. I am a real lover of language! But, I think it's necessary to be mindful of people of other faiths -- and those who don't believe in God. :) I only mean that society has changed a lot, and continues to change. :confused:

I suppose I'm rambling a bit. Thank you, both, for being so helpful.

Upvote 0
Jun 14, 2009
✟14,916.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
The grace of God, is about God giving us blessings, either spiritual or material, without we deserving them. It is like if someone comes and slaps you in the face, and you then go and buy that person an ice cream. That is grace.
The mercy of God, is the fact, that we all have sinned and therefore have come short of the glory of God and any blessings from God, and therefore we deserve the punishment of God, because of our sin. Yet God still does not punish us, but offers us salvation through Jesus Christ, even when we were sinners and deserved death. Mercy is like someone who comes and slaps you, and you do not slap them back.

Upvote 0