Feb 9, 2014
✟904,775.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
hmm interesting. Well the bible college near where I live is non-denominational.
Although in the church I'm attending, they recommend a baptist college. But I think they can cross credit each other.

It shouldn't really matter, in my opinion.

Being a Baptist, frankly, only has a few distinctive traits that require some theological consistency(Credobaptism, not Pedobaptism, etc).

I wouldn't worry about attending a non-denom. The more important factor to consider at this point is the colleges statements of faith because that'll give you a good idea of the curriculum, those delivering it and the institution that upholds it.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Haha im not saying they recommended me to go, its just they put baptist college literature in their church rather than the local bible colleges. Maybe someones alma mater and thats why its there.

I do think if you are called to go, God would show you. You cant just decide oh I want to be a minister, can you, and then enrol. Otherwise everyone would do it once they become a christian wouldnt they? Or be encouraged to...because all of us are called to minister the word in some capacity.

I think it was different in jewish culture where every boy was meant to study the torah, they had yeshivas and most of their time was spent studying scripture from a young age. But if you christian, or raised christian, i dont think even christian schools are teach children bible so intensively. Or do they? And hearing it once a week on sunday wouldnt be enough either.

Because looking at the papers like old testament studies and new testament, is that building on what you already know or would it be open to someone who hadnt even picked up,a bible before and read it. Most people I know just read and study the bible in their own time without going to lectures and writing essays etc. i would fear. If it was taught academically it would ruin your enjoyment of it and application of the Word and become quite abstract and historical and critical. Because when I studied academically tertiary level it was overwhelming and rather a chore than a delight. But I suppose its in the way a paper is delivered.

Reactions: Unix
Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,505,465.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I do think if you are called to go, God would show you. You cant just decide oh I want to be a minister, can you, and then enrol. Otherwise everyone would do it once they become a christian wouldnt they? Or be encouraged to...because all of us are called to minister the word in some capacity.

I've known a lot of people who studied theology with me, either just for their own learning, or because they weren't sure what they wanted to do with their lives and were testing the idea of ministry. Some of them are in ministry now; others have gone on to do all sorts of interesting things. I don't think theological study is just for people going on to ministry. In fact, having well-educated lay people in the congregation is a real gift!

Because looking at the papers like old testament studies and new testament, is that building on what you already know or would it be open to someone who hadnt even picked up,a bible before and read it. Most people I know just read and study the bible in their own time without going to lectures and writing essays etc. i would fear. If it was taught academically it would ruin your enjoyment of it and application of the Word and become quite abstract and historical and critical. Because when I studied academically tertiary level it was overwhelming and rather a chore than a delight. But I suppose its in the way a paper is delivered.

For me, taking Biblical studies units didn't ruin my enjoyment but enriched it immensely. I didn't necessarily enjoy every essay I wrote, but I learned so much! Sometimes the analysis of the text was a bit dry, but it was in putting it back together and then asking, why does that matter for us today? that the value came.

In my classes we had people who knew a very great deal already, through to people who knew nothing. One girl in my introductory Old Testament class was an atheist who wanted to write a PhD in German philosophy, but had realised that she didn't understand enough of the religious background of those philosophers to do it justice, so was doing a few units in theology to flesh that out. As far as I know she'd never opened the Bible before, so it made for some interesting discussions!

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Interesting, what are some of the questions or essay topics you had to write? Just as a sample.
And I suppose you have exams. Maybe thats what I wouldnt like...exams and assesments. Although, we have memory verses in bible school so, maybe its just that but at a higher level. Maybe you have memory chapters where you can recite chapters off by heart?

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Its funny some people are in one camp.
Saying studying theology is useless, and you cant get a job after youve done it. Well, one of the ladies in church said her son in law studied theology and doesnt have a job. And the kind of theology he studied she just couldnt make any sense of. Or maybe it was just something to study out of interest. She seemed under the impression he was taking advantage of a student loan or something or as just something to do?!

The other camp seems to be you cant preach without it. You have to have the degree or the church wont let you minister.

I do remember hearing about the gladys aylward, who was only a servant or maid who saved up everything to go to bible school but failed...yet she became this extraordinary missionary in china.

Upvote 0

dysert

Feb 29, 2012
USA
✟112,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am most of the way through getting a Master's of Biblical Studies. In fact, I'm part-way through my thesis, which is the last thing to finish before getting my diploma. It's a good experience being "forced" to study and crunch through various topics. Sadly, I doubt I'll ever finish my thesis. I've run out of ambition and money. Fyi, my thesis is on all of the NT promises, categorizing them and commenting on them. I think I bit off more than I can chew, and here I am, 60 pages in, and I don't have what it takes to finish :-(. If I did finish it, I imagine it would come to around 200 pages.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,505,465.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Let me see what's in the old computer files here (yes, I'm sad enough to have saved them all!)

For Biblical studies, I wrote essays on

- An exegetical essay looking at the theology of the book of Job
- The nature of prophecy/role of the prophet in the book of Jonah
- Textual criticism of the New Testament (as a concept)
- Significance of apocalyptic theology in Mark's gospel
- Significance of the temple in Mark's gospel
- An exegesis of Mark 9:14-29
- The significance of the Sabbath in John's gospel
- The significance of the repeated motif of "the hour" in John's gospel
- An exegesis of John 10:1-30
- An exegesis of Galatians 6:7-10

I didn't major in Biblical studies, so I didn't do as much as some of my peers. But that might give you some idea?

Edited to add: Oh, exams. I didn't do many because I was studying at masters' level. I think you might do more if you study at a bachelor or diploma level? I think my only exams were in Greek.

Upvote 0

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟904,775.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Studying theology isn't necessarily just for those in pursuit of ministry. Seminaries typically offer a multitude of subjects including apologetics, evangelism, church planting, etc.

Quite a lot of people study theology as a means of depth to their own personal studies and walk with Christ.

As for theology not being a degree to land you jobs, well, a degree is a degree in a lot of cases. A ton of graduate schemes don't really care what subject you did, so long as you have a degree above a certain grade. That isn't the case in every organisation, but generally the degree is used as a means of competence(or at least a demonstration of self-discipline, ability to comprehend and communicate information at a certain level as well as the ability to see a commitment through for 3-4 years) to determine if someone has what they're looking for.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Studying theology isn't necessarily just for those in pursuit of ministry. Seminaries typically offer a multitude of subjects including apologetics, evangelism, church planting, etc.

Quite a lot of people study theology as a means of depth to their own personal studies and walk with Christ.

As for theology not being a degree to land you jobs, well, a degree is a degree in a lot of cases. A ton of graduate schemes don't really care what subject you did, so long as you have a degree above a certain grade. That isn't the case in every organisation, but generally the degree is used as a means of competence(or at least a demonstration of self-discipline, ability to comprehend and communicate information at a certain level as well as the ability to see a commitment through for 3-4 years) to determine if someone has what they're looking for.
Yea i know, but in many cases those that study out of interest are usually just doing some electives as well as their other degree. What my church friend couldnt understand was why her son in law did a whole theology degree and isnt pursuing ministry. Her daughter did a science degree and has a job in a lab or something but her husband doesnt have anything, and they dont have children as shes working all the time.

Shes not even sure hes a christian!

Upvote 0

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟904,775.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Yea i know, but in many cases those that study out of interest are usually just doing some electives as well as their other degree. What my church friend couldnt understand was why her son in law did a whole theology degree and isnt pursuing ministry. Her daughter did a science degree and has a job in a lab or something but her husband doesnt have anything, and they dont have children as shes working all the time.

Shes not even sure hes a christian!

Exegesis is the critical analysis and explanation of a text. In this instance it'd likely be observation and commentary of a passage or word in Scripture.

As for doing a theology degree, I think some people use it as a formal framework that aids them in their own study. A lot of people drift here or there when studying and formal study helps guide you through the motions.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I am most of the way through getting a Master's of Biblical Studies. In fact, I'm part-way through my thesis, which is the last thing to finish before getting my diploma. It's a good experience being "forced" to study and crunch through various topics. Sadly, I doubt I'll ever finish my thesis. I've run out of ambition and money. Fyi, my thesis is on all of the NT promises, categorizing them and commenting on them. I think I bit off more than I can chew, and here I am, 60 pages in, and I don't have what it takes to finish :-(. If I did finish it, I imagine it would come to around 200 pages.
Does it cost a lot for you?
NT promises...which are? I thought there was only really one...the new covenant. Jesus saying he will eat and drink with us anew in the Kingdom.

Upvote 0

dysert

Feb 29, 2012
USA
✟112,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Does it cost a lot for you?
NT promises...which are? I thought there was only really one...the new covenant. Jesus saying he will eat and drink with us anew in the Kingdom.
It costs more than I want to spend. There are hundreds of NT promises. As I think I said, I've written up 60 pages' worth and I'm not even halfway through.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

alexier

Stand Firm In Faith
Site Supporter
Sep 15, 2007
North Wales
✟121,233.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Engaged
I studied from 2008 to 2011 at Cardiff University B.Th and did the following :-

History of the Christian Church
Introduction to the Bible
The Story of Christianity
New Testament Epistles
Beliefs in the Crucible
Understanding Christian Worship
Christianity on the Edge
Christian Social Ethics Today
DDD (Denomination, Distinctiveness, Dialect)
The Christian Church Today

I did find you spend more time looking at what people say about the Christian Faith than Christ himself.

Upvote 0

dysert

Feb 29, 2012
USA
✟112,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Oh..well, maybe give me an example of a few. i just cant think of any right now.

Jesus does promise to send the comforter i.e the holy spirit but i thought it was just part and parcel of the new covenant anyway.
Here's a few from the book of James:
jam 1.12 Blessed is the man who endures temptation; for when he has been approved, he will receive the crown of life which the Lord has promised to those who love Him.

jam 1.25 But he who looks into the perfect law of liberty and continues in it, and is not a forgetful hearer but a doer of the work, this one will be blessed in what he does.

jam 4.6-8 But He gives more grace. Therefore He says: "God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble." Therefore submit to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you. Draw near to God and He will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners; and purify your hearts, you double-minded.

jam 4.10 Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and He will lift you up.

jam 5.15 And the prayer of faith will save the sick, and the Lord will raise him up. And if he has committed sins, he will be forgiven.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,505,465.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I find it intersting that in academia they might use APA referencing format for a theology paper. I would have thought the only thing you needed to reference was the Bible itself. Not what other people said about it.

My university preferred Turabian format. The thing with academic study is that you have to show that not only have you read and thought about the source material (the Bible, for Biblical studies units) but also that you have acquainted yourself with the field of scholarship.

This was also an eye-opener for me, because I had access not only to commentaries by people of different denominations, but also commentaries in a couple of languages, and it was fascinating to me how the French commentaries often came at things from a completely different angle than the English ones. It showed me how easy it is to become quite narrow in one's thinking, without even realising it.

Upvote 0