Theists vs Atheists

Atothetheist

Jun 20, 2012
✟15,129.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I would love engaging in discussion with anyone who is interested. I love providing answers and helping people better understand the Christian worldview. I have been engaging in very fruitful discussion for several weeks now and have been encouraged greatly by it. So whenever, wherever, however, I am ready.

Well, I would like to discuss and debate. Not sure if you think I am ignorant of the christian position... I am very aware of the christian position from a Catholic perspective, but you may noy be Catholic.

If ya could, is there a site where we can discuss freely, without there being restrictions to what I can and can't say?

Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟734,719.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi,

In response to your question initially about faith and reasons for it. I believe in God because of the experiences I have had with him. I have had real encounters that I know prove God to me beyond a doubt. I have included one story here and put a link to my website which contains many more stories.

One morning I got up and walked into the hall and I heard a voice that I believed was God say "How would you like to be stabbed in the Valley". The Valley was known as the rough end of town, and the voice scared me a little, I wondered if I had done something to offend God. I had planned to go down to the Valley to ask people out to church as was my habit at the time. In the end I went anyway regardless of the fear. I walked up to the first person I met and asked him if he would like to go out to church. He said to me "I am an atheist, I don't believe in God". I just said "fine", but hoped to change his mind. He then proceeded to unbutton his shirt and showed me scar marks up and down his chest and stomach. He said to me, "I was attacked by a knife wielding man in the Valley some time ago and spent months recovering in hospital, How could God allow that to happen to me". Then I knew why God had said in the morning "How would I like to be stabbed?". God understood this man, but had a good plan for him. Some weeks latter this man came out to church and became a Christian.

My website with other stories is found at Know God Personally

Upvote 0

Arthra

Baha'i
Feb 20, 2004
California
Visit site
✟71,812.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Well I've reviewed the thread and I'm unsure what I could offer but for one thing in my experience has been that people can pass through stages in their search ...at some stages they may become atheists and later believe in God and then have a test and maybe doubt God and so on...

It depends also on what your belief in God is .. because you may be reacting to that belief..

In re. to the post above... If I heard a voice asking me "if I'd like to be stabbed" I think I'd interpret that as maybe a warning to stay away from where ever it was.. If the voice was something like audio I might assume I was hearing it ...as in a halluciantion and I might need to see a doctor...so I don't know.

Most atheists I've met have been pretty polite and had interesting things to say.. I used to frequent a coffee shop whre we'd talk.

Upvote 0

Booko

Poultry in Motion
Aug 14, 2006
Georgia
✟19,470.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
You're listed as "Other Religion." What viewpoint would you like to change atheists to?

I would like atheists to hold whatever viewpoint makes the most sense to them. This includes atheism.

If I'd like to do anything, it would be to take part in dialogue where all people, any variety of theists, agnostics and atheists, come away with greater understanding of where other people are coming from.

Especially if anyone wants to criticize, isn't it better to do so from a base of knowledge and not from unwarranted assumptions?

(P.S. I'm a she -- not that that matters really.)

That happens sometimes, but other times I observe a very different phenomenon of one side using rationalism and empiricism and the other... just not.

Oh, I see this too. However, I do not find constant use of the fallacy of sweeping generalization on the part of uninformed atheists especially logical either, and I do see that quite a bit.

Certainly I'm no fan of antiscientific attitudes. Empiricism, like anything in epistemology, has some limits, but that doesn't mean it should be tossed out altogether, and most certainly not as an effort to maintain an overly literal understanding of some ancient text.

Yes, obviously I notice the atheist/agnostic/humanist/non-religious one invoking rationalism more-so than I do the theist and that speaks to a passive bias of sorts, but I tend to observe these things objectively.

I've had my feet in the world of theist and atheist. I do find one side invoking rationalism more, but there are problems on the atheist side as well. What I would call the biggies are these:

1. A myopic view of religion, which is, seeing the warts and ignoring the good aspects as if they do not exist.

2. Conflating the most familiar form of religion (usually Christianity) with all religion in all its various forms.

3. Asserting reason and empiricism while forgetting that not all of life can be understood using those tools alone. Religion is not a hard science -- it's in the field of humanities. Use the tools of the humanities to examine it.

The problem is in these debates that even people who argue poorly against or for a proposition dislike the possibility that they are wrong.

Most often, yes. I won't lie and tell you I love the possibility that I may be wrong, but let's just say that I've been wrong so I'm maybe not so likely to get my knickers in a twist over the possibility that I might be in for yet another paradigm shift. Honestly, if I need to shift to something more accurate and missed that, it would be the greater tragedy.

Their position, to them has moral value and heavy personal meaning to them. This makes it very likely that they will argue poorly for it just because the truth of what they're saying means a lot to them and essentially, they don't want to consider the implications of an error.

I find this with atheists as well though. It really depends on the individual. It seems to come down to whether the conversants are willing to speak from a position of mutual respect and whether there's some genuine curiousity at work on both sides.

I meant in debate/discussion community setups. We can point out some obvious ones in society, but I've seen threads here where people announce their deconversion and I've seen some here point out they changed their beliefs after coming here.

Yes, that's true. Exposure to a wide range of beliefs (or lack thereof) does cause many people to reconsider what they actually believe and why.

With all due respect to "pinkputter", I am not sure she could explain much on this at all.

I was thinking of her more as an example of someone who is not interested in debates generally. Not everyone is, and that's okay.

I sort of like a bit of knock down drag out...within reason, but I also realize I'm in the minority. I'm afraid no one has ever accused me of being especially touchy-feely, but some people are and they will be unlikely to be interested in debating anything. Discuss...sure.

True - but it should tell them something beyond that (those that removed it).

Well, I've said for years any religion that isn't able to withstand some heated debate (even "attacks") probably isn't worth much.

LOL a corollary of sorts is any religion that can't support itself financially and has to go outside itself to look for material means probably has outlived its usefulness too.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,303.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
What do you believe made you a Christian? Christianity teaches that God makes you a Christian. How could God have made you a Christian if you believe He does not exist.

Surely you see some of the inherent logical fallacy in this statement don't you?

Note: I'm not disagreeing with the theological content, I don't believe conversion is a human work, but a divine work without our active involvement.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Booko

Poultry in Motion
Aug 14, 2006
Georgia
✟19,470.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
God is the victory. End of story. :)

Someguy, this is an example of however well-intentioned, earnest and kindly a response like this is (and I do think it is), it's a dialogue stopper.

As a practical matter, do you expect any atheist encountering such a view to listen to anything else you have to say about your faith afterwards? I'm a bit mystified as to how you can spread the Gospel after basically shutting down communication.

Eudaimonist's reply is pretty indicative of where exchanges like these end up. Basically nowhere.

Flipping the coin to look at the other side, it can look much the same. I've seen plenty of attempts to "discuss" theism start out with an atheist proclaiming that belief in God is delusional. And any theist is probably going to figure after such a start as that perhaps there would be more value in getting the vacuuming finished than making an attempt at dialogue.

This is what I was trying to get at earlier in this thread when I made a comment along the lines of "atheist vs. theist" debates rarely going anywhere useful. Because it seems nearly inevitable someone on either the atheist or theist side will drop a bombshell and stop the conversation.

Conversations between theists and atheists can be productive, but it takes some work.

Upvote 0

Delphiki

May 7, 2010
Ohio
✟5,675.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
What do you believe made you a Christian? Christianity teaches that God makes you a Christian. How could God have made you a Christian if you believe He does not exist.

Exactly. So it makes sense that he's not a Christian, right? :p

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tnmusicman

Sinner Saved By Grace
Mar 24, 2012
Nashville, TN ( Music City )
Visit site
✟16,518.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hi,

In response to your question initially about faith and reasons for it. I believe in God because of the experiences I have had with him. I have had real encounters that I know prove God to me beyond a doubt. I have included one story here and put a link to my website which contains many more stories.

One morning I got up and walked into the hall and I heard a voice that I believed was God say "How would you like to be stabbed in the Valley". The Valley was known as the rough end of town, and the voice scared me a little, I wondered if I had done something to offend God. I had planned to go down to the Valley to ask people out to church as was my habit at the time. In the end I went anyway regardless of the fear. I walked up to the first person I met and asked him if he would like to go out to church. He said to me "I am an atheist, I don't believe in God". I just said "fine", but hoped to change his mind. He then proceeded to unbutton his shirt and showed me scar marks up and down his chest and stomach. He said to me, "I was attacked by a knife wielding man in the Valley some time ago and spent months recovering in hospital, How could God allow that to happen to me". Then I knew why God had said in the morning "How would I like to be stabbed?". God understood this man, but had a good plan for him. Some weeks latter this man came out to church and became a Christian.

My website with other stories is found at Know God Personally

That's a great story and I wish more things like this were reported happening.

Upvote 0