The way I finally spoke in tongues

D

day time

Dang...^_^ Sheesh...why do these guys all have the same names? What happend to variety?
Just imagine if they were Catholic !!!! ;p

This would be alot easier if they had different names lol

Ok... Im new to this in particular, I gotta keep digging :thumbsup:

Still, I suppose, you can relate somewhat that their daughters did, I mean even there in that generation obviously so. I betcha if Peter had a daughter his would have too right? We will never know will we? lol

I wonder if that Phillip was there since there is so many nameless there. That would be pure speculation on my pasrt, so I cant go there and be satisfied.

Yeah I think Im done for now, cant go anywhere yet, just see the division and would need some time to look at it some more.

I have a short attention span too, and this one has just about used whats left up.

But you have been a great help to me, thank you brother, much appreciated

God bless you
No worries Fire ... you've helped me too :~) ... and thumbs up to short attention spans !!! You and me both :~)

Peace :)

Reactions: Fireinfolding
Upvote 0

briareos

Mar 11, 2011
Fort Bragg, NC
✟6,085.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Our LibraryCommentaries Matthew Henry Commentary 1 Corinthians 14
Prophecy preferred to the gift of tongues. (1-5) The unprofitableness of speaking in unknown languages. (6-14) Exhortations to worship that can be understood. (15-25) Disorders from vain display of gifts; (26-33) and from women speaking in the church. (34-40)
Verses 1-5 Prophesying, that is, explaining Scripture, is compared with speaking with tongues. This drew attention, more than the plain interpretation of Scripture; it gratified pride more, but promoted the purposes of Christian charity less; it would not equally do good to the souls of men. What cannot be understood, never can edify. No advantage can be reaped from the most excellent discourses, if delivered in language such as the hearers cannot speak or understand. Every ability or possession is valuable in proportion to its usefulness. Even fervent, spiritual affection must be governed by the exercise of the understanding, else men will disgrace the truths they profess to promote.
Verses 6-14 Even an apostle could not edify, unless he spoke so as to be understood by his hearers. To speak words that have no meaning to those who hear them, is but speaking into the air. That cannot answer the end of speaking, which has no meaning; in this case, speaker and hearers are barbarians to each other. All religious services should be so performed in Christian assemblies, that all may join in, and profit by them. Language plain and easy to be understood, is the most proper for public worship, and other religious exercises. Every true follower of Christ will rather desire to do good to others, than to get a name for learning or fine speaking.
Verses 15-25 There can be no assent to prayers that are not understood. A truly Christian minister will seek much more to do spiritual good to men's souls, than to get the greatest applause to himself. This is proving himself the servant of Christ. Children are apt to be struck with novelty; but do not act like them. Christians should be like children, void of guile and malice; yet they should not be unskilful as to the word of righteousness, but only as to the arts of mischief. It is a proof that a people are forsaken of God, when he gives them up to the rule of those who teach them to worship in another language. They can never be benefitted by such teaching. Yet thus the preachers did who delivered their instructions in an unknown tongue. Would it not make Christianity ridiculous to a heathen, to hear the ministers pray or preach in a language which neither he nor the assembly understood? But if those who minister, plainly interpret Scripture, or preach the great truths and rules of the gospel, a heathen or unlearned person might become a convert to Christianity. His conscience might be touched, the secrets of his heart might be revealed to him, and so he might be brought to confess his guilt, and to own that God was present in the assembly. Scripture truth, plainly and duly taught, has a wonderful power to awaken the conscience and touch the heart.
Verses 26-33 Religious exercises in public assemblies should have this view; Let all be done to edifying. As to the speaking in an unknown tongue, if another were present who could interpret, two miraculous gifts might be exercised at once, and thereby the church be edified, and the faith of the hearers confirmed at the same time. As to prophesying, two or three only should speak at one meeting, and this one after the other, not all at once. The man who is inspired by the Spirit of God will observe order and decency in delivering his revelations. God never teaches men to neglect their duties, or to act in any way unbecoming their age or station.
Verses 34-40 When the apostle exhorts Christian women to seek information on religious subjects from their husbands at home, it shows that believing families ought to assemble for promoting spiritual knowledge. The Spirit of Christ can never contradict itself; and if their revelations are against those of the apostle, they do not come from the same Spirit. The way to keep peace, truth, and order in the church, is to seek that which is good for it, to bear with that which is not hurtful to its welfare, and to keep up good behaviour, order, and decency.

Who is edified when someone speaks in garbled speech? Who is edified if someone speaks in another language that no one present understands? Certainly not God. :preach:

The the info you copy and pasted does not correctly display all the data within the chapter, rather it over simplified it in an effort to pursue the assumed themed. It is not disputable that Paul established the reality God given of tongues that were not intelligible, while it is clear that use of it in a public medium is discouraged without interpretation but the fact that Paul said it did happen and should be interpreted or kept to oneself, is prayer and praise but should be done orderly establishes that a tongue, nonintelligible as it may be can still be clearly from the Lord. Obviously there are situations such as are noted within the chapter that it is not appropriate to do so out loud. Paul having said he would still speak, pray and praise in tongues establishes it's Godliness and usefulness and Paul having said that those who speak in tongues (a gift from God) can also pray for the ability to interpret (when they cannot) removes the false assumption that tongues sounding like gibberish are not valid and are not useful.

Very simply Tongues are a gift from God (1 Cor 12)and not every incident in the bible wherein they were spoken lists them as being interpreted (Acts 10) and they are very clearly identified as being non intelligible to others (1 Cor 14.2). They are listed as praise and prayer and very obviously, praise and prayer are not restricted to public settings neither must they be out loud.

Upvote 0

briareos

Mar 11, 2011
Fort Bragg, NC
✟6,085.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Yeah, often enough.

Then I wonder what my top posts about how much I love my cat must look to guests. Then I wonder, meh, probably the same as they look to registered users and regulars.

Thankfully God is able to speak to people either through us or despite us, eh?

When I see your posts about cats I think "Now that's someone I want to be friends with!" :)

I myself am glad that you have changed your mind about leaving these forums, you are a warm and helpful spirit.

Upvote 0

briareos

Mar 11, 2011
Fort Bragg, NC
✟6,085.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I personally think speaking in tongues is taken very out of context in present day churches. It is not needed in places like America were we all speak English. If we look at the scriptures it was used as a way to reach/evangelize to tribes and nations where no one knew their language. It also says in the Bible that it is a spiritual gift meaning not everyone possesses it only a select few, and some may only posses it for a short period of time to reach those that they can't speak their language and then it is gone. The Bible also tells us that their must be a translator present when speaking tongues, yet many churches that practice this just have everyone doing it all at once no one is translating anything. I have never attended churches that practice this because I believe it is out of context for today at least in America. Maybe not if I were in remote Africa or somewhere then it might be ok if it is my spiritual gift. I think many times today it is used as a way to glorify ones self and make them look holier than another person. People do it but they don't really understand why they are doing it. It is more to fit in especially when you have certain Pentecostal groups that believe if one can't speak tongues they are not really a Christian. This is wrong in my belief and only causes issues because not everyone can speak tongues. I also do not believe that speaking in tongues is muttering and mumbling that no one can understand. In the Bible the disciples speak to the tribe in a language that they normally wouldn't have known but it was a known language the reaction of the tribe was shock because they could understand them they were speaking their language. It would be like if I went to Mexico to preach I don't know Spanish so me speaking in tongues would be me being able to suddenly speak Spanish not some random garble no one knows it is the ability to speak known languages you otherwise wouldn't know.

SCRIPTURE ON TONGUES:
-1 Corinthians 12:28-30 The list of spiritual gifts speaking in tongues is one of them.

-1 Corinthians 12:11 No one person has all the gifts. Every believer has received the gift of the Spirit, but not every believer has received the gifts which the Spirit bestows.

In Acts 2:4 Luke uses a different adjective when he says, “they began to speak with other tongues.” The word “other” (Gr. heteros) simply means that they spoke in languages different from the normal language they were used to. The context substantiates this. Notice the surprised reaction on the part of the hearers—“And they were all amazed and marveled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galileans? And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born?” (Acts 2:7,8). Every man heard them speak in his own language (Acts 2:6). Here the word “language” is the translation of dialekto from which our word “dialect” comes. The two words glossa (tongue) and dialektos (language) are used synonymously, making it obvious that the disciples were speaking in known languages other than the language native to them. In verses 9-11 the languages are then identified. It was a miraculous phenomenon which enabled the disciples to speak in languages which they had never learned. Here in this Acts passage we have tongues-speaking in its pure and unperverted form as God gave it.

As much as I am simply repeating what I have said to others, please don't feel like I am just yelling at you or yelling at all.

Keep in mind that in 1 Cor 14 Paul said speaking in tongues is also prayer, praise, not to men at all but to God, something he said he himself would do but that he said should sometimes not be done, he said you should sometimes keep silent and speak to yourself and to God, he also said it built up or edified the speaker, not only others. In 1 Cor 13 Paul said it is possible to speak in the tongues of "Angels" though Love was greater.

Also consider Acts 10.44-48 Where Peter was ministering to unsaved Gentiles and suddenly everyone was filled with the Holy ghost and they all spoke in tongues (the gentiles) "speaking in tongues and extolling God" v46

It was an act of Praise and Glory to God, it was not interpreted, everyone was doing it, and we already know that tongues are typically nonintelligible (1 Cor 14.2), and it was not used as a means to communicate to others, these people were filled with the holyghost and just started speaking in tongues and praising God. They were not in a ministerial position or using tongues as a form of communication to others. They were all speaking in tongues and Praising God. Peter did not silence them and it is clear that it was because of the Holyghost and not wrong to do.

Also consider that in Mark 16 Jesus said those believe will speak in new tongues. Paul very clearly acted in all the spiritual gifts. He exhorted us to desire the greatest gifts in 1 Cor 12 and in 1 Cor 14 he said someone who speaks in tongues (a spiritual gift) should simply pray for the ability to interpret (another spiritual gift). While the bible does say the gifts are given at the will of God to different people, it does not say it is God's will to not give more than one or that he only gives one or less than all. Paul taught us to desire and pray to have more (1 Cor 12 , 14) . 1 Cor 14 shows Paul saying he wished everyone spoke in tongues and him encouraging them to seek the ability to prophecy. This would not be possible if God very selectively gave them to certain people. Paul taught that we can and should pray and seek for them all, or the greater gifts.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

znr

Report THIS.
Site Supporter
Apr 13, 2010
Silverado
✟30,220.00
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Private
When I see your posts about cats I think "Now that's someone I want to be friends with!" :)

I myself am glad that you have changed your mind about leaving these forums, you are a warm and helpful spirit.

Thank you so much for your kind words. Your friendship here means a lot to me.

Upvote 0
D

day time

This thread is starting to sound like tongues now :)
RollingStonesTongueLogo.jpg

Too soon ?

-----------------------

Upvote 0

briareos

Mar 11, 2011
Fort Bragg, NC
✟6,085.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Let us also not forget in Acts 19.1-6 New converts were immediately filled with the Holyghost, spoke in tongues and prophesied as Paul baptized them, there was no interpretation and Paul (the author of 1 Cor 14) did not silence them. The same thing that happened Acts 10.44-48. It was not out of order, it was the direct effect of being filled with the Holyghost.

Upvote 0

3rdHeaven

Truth Seeker
Nov 23, 2011
✟1,794.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Let us also not forget in Acts 19.1-6 New converts were immediately filled with the Holyghost, spoke in tongues and prophesied as Paul baptized them, there was no interpretation and Paul (the author of 1 Cor 14) did not silence them. The same thing that happened Acts 10.44-48. It was not out of order, it was the direct effect of being filled with the Holyghost.

And you can follow that example through out Church history?

or could it have been during the apostles time?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

CounselorForChrist

Senior Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
✟15,792.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I REALLY don't want to sound like a bad person here but I hate when people claim some of the things they do.

One church we were at this lady "spoke in tounges" every Sunday and claimed it was real despite the fact most of the church did not believe her. She was known as being a drama queen and liked attention. One of my exs said everyone can speak in tounges (among other things) and that put a big dent in our realationship.

ON church we were at long ago got some kind of pentecostal movment going and when the pastor spoke most of the people walked into the aisles and started clucking like chickens, barking like dogs and doing all kinds of crazy stuff. I found it sick that they thought it was God.

Form what I understand while anyone "could" speak in tounges, its a rare thing. Becuase when you speak, theres an actual message that is suppose in it for the people. To many people abuse "speaking in tounges" and it just makes them look foolish. Of course I've never been a big fan of some Pentecostal beliefs.

Upvote 0

briareos

Mar 11, 2011
Fort Bragg, NC
✟6,085.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
And you can follow that example through out Church history?

or could it have been during the apostles time?

In order for us to make a biblical case that things have changed and that we actually need to see it differently and conduct it differently... we would need the word of God to express that and it doesn't. Anything else are simply ideas, maybe really good ideas, but they have no authority and people are free to disagree as they will and really they don't belong in church doctrine at all.

I know of no scripture that indicates that the way the gifts of spirit operated changed or that they ceased to exist upon the passing away of the apostles. What I do know is that it was common for anyone the apostles converted to have them and that Jesus said speaking in tongues was something anyone who believed would do in Mark 16. It is also a gift from God for the edification of the church, just as simply as wisdom, faith were, we are not instructed that "some" of the gifts ended or changed. The church still exists, it still needs building up and that's what those gifts were for.

We build our self upon the rock of the word of God, and according to the word of God it should still happen today because we still have the church and we still believe and we have no instruction that it would change.

It may appear that they ceased to exist upon the passing of the apostles simply because we don't see it much anymore but that is not a reason to add to the scripture what is not there or to fail to believe the scripture. Rather we should assume that we simply aren't doing what the apostles did and if we do we will see them again, if we do what the bible says, then what it says will happen will happen.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

briareos

Mar 11, 2011
Fort Bragg, NC
✟6,085.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I REALLY don't want to sound like a bad person here but I hate when people claim some of the things they do.

One church we were at this lady "spoke in tounges" every Sunday and claimed it was real despite the fact most of the church did not believe her. She was known as being a drama queen and liked attention. One of my exs said everyone can speak in tounges (among other things) and that put a big dent in our realationship.

ON church we were at long ago got some kind of pentecostal movment going and when the pastor spoke most of the people walked into the aisles and started clucking like chickens, barking like dogs and doing all kinds of crazy stuff. I found it sick that they thought it was God.

Form what I understand while anyone "could" speak in tounges, its a rare thing. Becuase when you speak, theres an actual message that is suppose in it for the people. To many people abuse "speaking in tounges" and it just makes them look foolish. Of course I've never been a big fan of some Pentecostal beliefs.

I can understand how you feel and appreciate your thoughts. I would only say that even if things seem strange, we must reconcile ourselves to the scriptures, even if it makes us look foolish. That being said we have no reason to believe God makes people cluck and bark and according to 1 Cor 14 the woman who spoke in tongues every Sunday was not being wise and orderly.
Jesus did though say that anyone who believed would speak in tongues in Mark 16 and in the book of Acts entire groups of people began to speak in tongues as they received Christ, this happened multiple times and without any interpretation and it was as they praised God, they weren't ministers or ministering at all, it was a form of praise and in 1 Cor 14 it is also shown that it can be prayer.

But like you've shown, it's not best to do that out-loud in public places. Though it most definitely was out-loud in public, entire groups of new converts even, with no interpretation multiple times in Acts. I speak in tongues a lot, but never out loud in a public place, it has only been a form of prayer and praise to God, between myself and God.

Upvote 0

CounselorForChrist

Senior Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
✟15,792.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I speak in tongues a lot, but never out loud in a public place, it has only been a form of prayer and praise to God, between myself and God.

That I would believe. I know some very genuine christians who say they do the same. It seems to me anyways that it happens more in private between someone and God then it does in public like it used to.

Upvote 0

briareos

Mar 11, 2011
Fort Bragg, NC
✟6,085.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I think the christian body today is very different than it use to be, much is not the same, but this isn't because it needs to be different. As for me it has so far been the spirit praying when I do not know how to pray for what needs to be accomplished.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SeventhFisherofMen

You cannot fool Jesus
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2013
CA
✟401,083.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Separated
Politics
US-Republican
Man after reading like 5 comments I feel I need to post a comment here. I 100% believe that speaking in tongues is for today. It took me over a year to speak in tongues but I eventually got it. I went through a lot of doubt and discouraging thoughts before I finally asked the Lord to give me the gift of tongues like He gave the Apostles and He gave Paul. Anyways I don't understand why so many people are either against speaking in tongues or don't believe it exists. I do believe that there is such a thing as false tongues but if you ask the Lord to give you the gift of tongues I'm sure He'll give it to you, and if you don't get it immediately keep pressing in and asking, don't give up.
I agree that when I pray in images while I am praying in tongues my tongues seem to flow more fluently. Every now and then my images get side-tracked or I get distracted and I have to go back and focus again on the Lord and what I was praying about. I could say more but basically I recommend getting out to a place where you feel safe either outside or inside where no one can hear you, ask God to give you the gift of tongues and then start speaking. Remember, it took me over a year trying on and off to speak in tongues before I got it. Some people have gotten the gift immediately others haven't and others it took a while. I would be careful asking people to lay hands on you and pray for you because you don't always know how the walk of that person is with the Lord so ya. Anyways I hope this helped. Thank you and God bless!

Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,524.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It took me awhile to test out speaking in tongues. The thing that finally got me to try was a series that Robert Morris did on The Holy Spirit. (Robert Morris is great..anyone watch him?)
Anyway, I got in my closet one night, and thought I would test it out. I felt like a fool. I didn't sound like all the preachers. Mine sounded more like baby talk with a lot of stuttering. But, I eventually hit on something that made it flow, and that was to really concentrate on images of prayer while I was speaking...things I wanted to say to God, or demons I wanted to get rid of...in images. And as I pictured these things more deeply, and thought less about the syllables and how foolish I sounded, it started to come naturally.
The most authentic sounding "words" came not surprisingly at the most intense moments. It was a lot like playing the guitar...the more I think about other things, the better I play. When I think about the notes, I invariably screw up. I think it's just a law God made that the less you think about yourself and your performance, the better your performance will be. The ultimate paradox.
So, I am not afraid to speak in tongues anymore...it's something that I thought I would never do or try. Does anyone else have any advice on how to "flow" when speaking in tongues?

I spoke in tongues for years and then I eventually realized my prayer life was still dead. I had no idea what I was saying. I'd rather pray in my own language and be mindful, knowing that I am 100% praying to the Holy Trinity and being completely aware of what I'm doing and saying. I've heard more than one story of people that speak other languages going into Pentecostal churches and hearing people 'speaking in tongues' thinking they're worshipping God but they are, in actuality, blaspheming God.

The first time I spoke in tongues, it was an altered state of consciousness and it felt wonderful. I was unable to stop when I wanted to do so. I had no control over my own body. I COULDN'T STOP. I now believe that I succumbed to a spirit. It was anything but a holy one though. There is no difference in this and what many pagans do the world over. NONE. Yet, this was encouraged in the churches I grew up in. I've seen and experienced what you describe more times than I can count. Run from it.

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟797,617.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
"Now there are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit."
"...to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:" I Cor 12
"For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries." I Cor 14:2

diversities of tongues (I Cor 12:10, 28) that includes:
-tongues for believer edification (usually referred to as prayer language) (I Cor 14:4) and
-church edification (I Cor 14:5) usually this is a message in tongues with interpretation (I Cor 12:10).

Tongues are to glorify G_d (John 15:26), help pray in the spirit to Him (I Cor 14), magnifies Him (Acts 10:47), etc.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Man after reading like 5 comments I feel I need to post a comment here. I 100% believe that speaking in tongues is for today. It took me over a year to speak in tongues but I eventually got it. I went through a lot of doubt and discouraging thoughts before I finally asked the Lord to give me the gift of tongues....
Is that how a spiritual "gift" is supposed to work--practice, practice, practice, until you figure out how to do it?

Reactions: seashale76
Upvote 0