The war in heaven: Rev 12

Feb 22, 2010
✟8,672.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Rev 12:7 And there was war in heaven, Michael and his angels waging war with the dragon. The dragon and his angels waged war,
Rev 12:8 and they were not strong enough, and there was no longer a place found for them in heaven.
Rev 12:9 And the great dragon was thrown down, the serpent of old who is called the devil and Satan, who deceives the whole world; he was thrown down to the earth, and his angels were thrown down with him.

It seems that some believe this war happened historically, when Christ ascended to Heaven.

If Satan and his angels are already cast down from the heavenly places, then how is our struggle against the rulers, against the powers, against the world forces of this darkness, against the spiritual forces of wickedness in the heavenly places?

Eph 6:11 Put on the full armor of God, so that you will be able to stand firm against the schemes of the devil.
Eph 6:12 For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the powers, against the world forces of this darkness, against the spiritual forces of wickedness in the heavenly places.
Eph 6:13 Therefore, take up the full armor of God, so that you will be able to resist in the evil day, and having done everything, to stand firm.

Ebed

Dec 15, 2012
✟423.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Good that you pointed people to the words in Ephesians 6. The devil is not locked up yet for the 1000 years of Rev. 20. There is also a NT verse that refers to him as walking about.

the dragon is cast to the earth, a demotion for him, rejoicing in heaven, woe to those on the earth.

And prevailed not; neither was their place found any more in heaven.

And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the devil, and satan, which deceives the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him....Therefore rejoice, ye heavens, and those that dwell in them. Woe to the inhabitants of the earth and of the sea! for the devil is come down unto you, having great wrath, because he knows that he has but a short time. Rev 12:9,12

1260 days to be Exact Rev 12:6,14, 13:5

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Rev 12:7 And there was war in heaven, Michael and his angels waging war with the dragon. The dragon and his angels waged war,
Rev 12:8 and they were not strong enough, and there was no longer a place found for them in heaven.
Rev 12:9 And the great dragon was thrown down, the serpent of old who is called the devil and Satan, who deceives the whole world; he was thrown down to the earth, and his angels were thrown down with him.

It seems that some believe this war happened historically, when Christ ascended to Heaven.

If Satan and his angels are already cast down from the heavenly places, then how is our struggle against the rulers, against the powers, against the world forces of this darkness, against the spiritual forces of wickedness in the heavenly places?

Eph 6:11 Put on the full armor of God, so that you will be able to stand firm against the schemes of the devil.
Eph 6:12 For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the powers, against the world forces of this darkness, against the spiritual forces of wickedness in the heavenly places.
Eph 6:13 Therefore, take up the full armor of God, so that you will be able to resist in the evil day, and having done everything, to stand firm.

Hi partaker,

Well, does not the book of Ephesians begin by explaining that we need protection for the 'schemes of the devil'. Seems that that would be a very recognizable clue as to who we are being warned to watch out for.

I believe that chapter 12 of the Revelation of Jesus also paints a fairly accurate timeline of events if one reads the entire section. It explains that the devil stood waiting for the birth of the Savior that he might devour him. However, having failed that and being defeated by the resurrection of the Lord and the war in heaven, he was cast to the earth where he found that Israel had been carried into safety in the world and so the devil took his attack against those who believe the gospel of salvation.

That's my understanding.

God bless you.
IN Christ, Ted

Upvote 0

zeke37

IMO...
May 24, 2007
✟20,694.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives

Hi partaker,

Well, does not the book of Ephesians begin by explaining that we need protection for the 'schemes of the devil'. Seems that that would be a very recognizable clue as to who we are being warned to watch out for.

I believe that chapter 12 of the Revelation of Jesus also paints a fairly accurate timeline of events if one reads the entire section. It explains that the devil stood waiting for the birth of the Savior that he might devour him. However, having failed that and being defeated by the resurrection of the Lord and the war in heaven, he was cast to the earth where he found that Israel had been carried into safety in the world and so the devil took his attack against those who believe the gospel of salvation.

That's my understanding.

God bless you.
IN Christ, Ted
hi
do you believe that the war in heaven is future or past?

Upvote 0

Interplanner

Aug 5, 2012
near Olympic National Park
✟12,847.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
The location of the spiritual war is here; the opponent is entities from elsewhere who are also here. Eph. 6 is not the first mention of such entities in the letter. The prophetic mystery that is now over (that the nations are coming into to God's redeemed people) was/is for the purpose of showing those entities the victory in Christ in terms of being transcultural. The Christian community is not fixed in all the usual race/ethnic impossibilities.

If that is the victory accomplished in Christ, we can say that it is seen everytime diverse Christians get together and 'know they belong to the same Father/family.' Meanwhile the devil keeps trying to make this a failure, to make this not happen. Not that I'm liberal/ecumenical, but that we do have a basis for a bond with people who are otherwise very different from us and from across the world, and it has a happy, miraculous feel to it when experienced.

--Inter

Upvote 0

Interplanner

Aug 5, 2012
near Olympic National Park
✟12,847.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
re: is the war present or past?
I really urge you not to press material in Rev for answers to questions like that. Especially that chapter you have every element in it slipping every direction it possibly could.

Stick with Ephesians on anything we need to know about spiritual warfare that pertains to us. And 2 Cor 10--if you have chs 3-5 down solid. 10 is about a force on earth that seeks to bust up the mission of the Gospel and its beautiful basis for harmony among believers.

--Inter

Upvote 0

ebedmelech

My dog Micah in the pic
Site Supporter
Jul 3, 2012
✟187,689.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
In my view "the war in heaven" took place as Christ approached the cross!

As Jesus prepares to go to the cross in John 12:31 Jesus said:
31 Now is the judgement of this world; now will the ruler of this world be cast out.

I believe that as Jesus uttered that statement, this scene was happening which John gives us in Revelation 12:7-8:

7 And there was war in heaven, Michael and his angels waging war with the dragon. The dragon and his angels waged war,
8 and they were not strong enough, and there was no longer a place found for them in heaven.
9 And the great dragon was thrown down, the serpent of old who is called the devil and Satan, who deceives the whole world; he was thrown down to the earth, and his angels were thrown down with him.

I think that makes the case as in Rev 12 John covers Christ from His birth to His ascension (Rev 12:5).

The celebration in heaven of Christ triumph over the cross by resurrection happened in Rev 12:10-12

It has happened! :thumbsup: :amen:

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
hi
do you believe that the war in heaven is future or past?

Hi Zeke,

I believe that the war in heaven spoken of in this passage of the Scriptures took place as during Jesus' ministry and while he was sacrificed and lay dead in the tomb. The Scriptures here seem to show the working out of the life or our Messiah. That the woman (Israel) gave birth to the male child (Savior) and Satan stood ready to devour him, but was unable. And because of the ensuing war he was cast down to the earth. This doesn't mean that he hadn't ever been there before, of course, but in past references it seems that he was always able to return. Now, he has been cast out and unable to return and as the Scripture goes on to explain, he now wages war on the earth against those who hold to the testimony of Jesus.

Beginning in verse 5 of chapter 12 we find that the male child is born and then God protects Israel for a period of 1,260 days, which would be the period of Jesus ministry to Israel. I think it is to be understood that the desert, the place of no faith was prepared for her by God. All that took place during that 1,260 days was God's preparation of Israel for the final sacrifice for sin. Israel had to turn it's back on the Lord. It had been written hundreds of years before that they would and that the Christ would die. If Israel had not, by the preparation of God, turned their backs on their Messiah, then God's word would be a lie. All the prophecies of the Messiah's death and sacrifice would not have come true. Friend, the 1,260 days and the preparation of Israel by God had to happen just as it did and God has always used His people to carry out His plan of bringing salvation to the ends of the earth. Everything, yes absolutely everything that we trust to be the truth of God has been delivered to the world through God's people Israel. Even the final sacrifice for sin comes to us by way of Israel.

When God promised Abraham that he would be a blessing unto all the nations of the earth, Abraham had no idea the grand scope and measure of all that that would entail. But God did! God knew from the moment He called Abram of Ur, that He was about to set that man's foot to work out over several centuries a plan that would include God giving through them all that He wanted us to know and then providing the sacrifice for our sin through Israel. Israel is still God's chosen and while He has often railed against them for their continued faithlessness and stiff-necked attitue, God's plan has prevailed. His will has been fulfilled through Abraham and all of his descendents.

The war in heaven was the sacrifice and death of God's Son and his resurrection was the culmination of that war. And John then writes: Then I heard a loud voice in heaven say: "Now have come the salvation and the power of our God and the authority of his Christ." That moment came when Jesus gave his life and was then resurrected from the grave. And then it continues: "For the accuser of our brothers, who accuses them before our God dayd and night, has been hurled down. They overcame him by the blood of the Lamb and by the word of their testimony. Jesus' blood was available the moment that he shed it upon the earth and the word of their testimony is speaking of the gospel. "They did not love their lives so much as to shrink from death." Who is they? It is the disciples. For each one of them died a martyr's death or was threatened with such. Yet they did not shrink back. They held and proclaimed the gospel of truth even unto death. "Therefore rejoice, you heaves and you who dwell in them! But woe to the earth and the sea, (the sea always refers to the people of the earth), because the devil has gone down to you! He is filled with fury because he know that his time is short."

Friend, we are living in the time of the devil's fury now! And have been since Jesus resurrection. There is nothing yet in all the realm of this creation that has angered the devil more than the fact that God has won! His plan has been set! His salvation has come and been made known to all the inhabitants of the earth. No longer is it just Israel who knows God, but now the whole world has been opened to the gospel of truth.

Then it continues that once the dragon saw that he had been hurled down to the earth, he pursued the woman who had given birth to the male child. It was done! And Satan is angry and he tried to pursue Israel and he brought Rome against her, and he attempted to destroy her by spewing a river of torrent against her, but the earth helped the woman by opening its mouth and swallowing the river of torrent that the dragon had spewed against Israel. This, friend, is the diaspora! The earth shut down Israel and took all of its inhabitants to live among them. Thereby not having them all gathered together in one place where Satan could harm them. No, now they are spread all over the earth and when the dragon saw that he could no longer attack Israel as a single unified body, he turned his attacks against those who would believe the truth. And the dragon stood on the shore of the sea.

Friend, he is right now standing on the shore of the sea. Directing hatred and anger and venom by the sea, (Remember the sea means the people), towards those who keep to the testimony of truth. We are living in those days!

That is how understand John's vision that is explained in Chapter 12 of the Revelation. All that it speaks of occured during the time of our Lord's birth, ministry and death and then finished by explaining what is happening after that.

God bless you.
IN Christ, Ted

Upvote 0

zeke37

IMO...
May 24, 2007
✟20,694.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Hi Zeke,

I believe that the war in heaven spoken of in this passage of the Scriptures took place as during Jesus' ministry and while he was sacrificed and lay dead in the tomb.
ok, thx...I have to disagree, for now,
because the child is caught up before the war is mentioned

The Scriptures here seem to show the working out of the life or our Messiah. That the woman (Israel) gave birth to the male child (Savior) and Satan stood ready to devour him, but was unable.
so, all this ^^^ is not the war
as I said, the war does not even get mentioned until after the child (Christ) is caught up

so, as I see it, what ever happened at the cross, bound Satan in heaven.
so he could not walk to and fro upon the world, but only invade us spiritually.

so, sometime after Christ is caught up, then the war breaks out in heaven, where eventually, at the right time, Satan will be cast down here for his short time (1260=time/times/half a time)

And because of the ensuing war he was cast down to the earth. This doesn't mean that he hadn't ever been there before, of course, but in past references it seems that he was always able to return. Now, he has been cast out and unable to return and as the Scripture goes on to explain, he now wages war on the earth against those who hold to the testimony of Jesus.
we're ok on that part.

Beginning in verse 5 of chapter 12 we find that the male child is born and then God protects Israel for a period of 1,260 days, which would be the period of Jesus ministry to Israel.
the child is caught up first,
and then the protection comes after that,
and then the war in heaven comes still after that
defined by the length of the time/times/half a time.

I take that verse (you obv. meant the 6th verse, not 5th)
to be the time/times/half a time, spoken of later in the chapter, which is Satan's short time.

so during the 1260 days of verse 6,
the events of verses 7-the end are being fulfilled....

1260=time/times/half a time

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
ok, thx...I have to disagree, for now,
because the child is caught up before the war is mentioned

Well, just so you might understand how I read it, the beginning of the account of the war in heaven begins, "And there was...". As I read through the revelation of Jesus we find some things introduced as 'then' or 'after' something which would indicate a chronological sequence. However, both here, and the introduction of the 'beast out of the sea' do not give us such in indication of order.

If I say to you, "I saw an accident today. This driver ran a red light and smashed into another car and then careened across the median and hit a lamp post and both drivers were injured." Would you assume that the driver of the car that was hit didn't suffer injury until after the other car careeened off into the lampost? I believe that the narrative in the Scriptures here can only be inferred that these things were happening together. One thing was happening and another thing was happening.

Now, as we read further down we read that after the war in heaven the writer says, "Then I heard a loud voice in heaven..." Yes, here we can understand that there was a war in heaven and something happened and then something else happened. The conjunctive 'and' often means that this and that were happening at the same time, as opposed to 'then' which would give an indication of some chronological order.

So, based on this understanding, I have found that the Revelation becomes a little easier to understand, as far as chronology anyway, when we allow 'and' to infer that different events may be happening at the same time and allow 'then' to infer that there is some chronological order. Of course, it is allowed that when we use 'and then' that that also infers some chronological order. This would also explain why the narrative seems to 'jump' around.

It begins by telling of the wondrous sign of the woman, Israel, being pregnant and crying out in pain of childbirth. It then 'jumps' to the enourmous red dragon and speaks of his tail sweeping a third of the stars out of heaven. Then 'jumps' back to the dragon standing exactly where verse 2 ends off and even says that she was about to give birth which was exactly the same time as we find in verse 2, that she was about to give birth. Then the narrative agains seems to 'jump' back to the woman giving birth and her fleeing into the desert and then 'jumps' to the war that was going on as all these other things are going on.

So, I find that all that we read about from 12:1 to 12:9 is all happening pretty much altogether. Yes, of course time is running and there is a timeline to be understood from the time the woman was pregnant until birth and again we find the word 'then' attaching a chronological order to the woman being pregnant and giving birth and the other sign in heaven heralding the appearance of the enormous red dragon. But all of the time sequence from 12:1 to 12:17 seems to have happened in a rather short period of time.

From 12:1 through 12:2 is one step 'then' from 12:3 through 12:9 is all running fairly concurrently with each other 'and then' that brings us to our next indication of chronology at 12:10 which all seems to run fairly concurrently until chapter 13.

God bless you.
In Christ, Ted.
so, all this ^^^ is not the war
as I said, the war does not even get mentioned until after the child (Christ) is caught up

so, as I see it, what ever happened at the cross, bound Satan in heaven.
so he could not walk to and fro upon the world, but only invade us spiritually.

so, sometime after Christ is caught up, then the war breaks out in heaven, where eventually, at the right time, Satan will be cast down here for his short time (1260=time/times/half a time)

we're ok on that part.

the child is caught up first,
and then the protection comes after that,
and then the war in heaven comes still after that
defined by the length of the time/times/half a time.

I take that verse (you obv. meant the 6th verse, not 5th)
to be the time/times/half a time, spoken of later in the chapter, which is Satan's short time.

so during the 1260 days of verse 6,
the events of verses 7-the end are being fulfilled....

1260=time/times/half a time

As far as the rest, no I'm not sure we are in agreement on much of that either. I'm pretty solidly convicted that Satan is here. Now! Paul warns us in his letters that we do now suffer the schemes of Satan and we are told that he is now prowling about seeing whom he may devour. I'm confident that Satan has already been cast down to the earth and that the war he lost with God and His angels is of a time past. That war is over and Jesus has already won the victory. Praise God!]

God bless you.
In Christ, Ted

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ronald

Exhortations
Site Supporter
Jul 30, 2004
southern
✟111,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Yes, Revelation includes things that were, are and things to come. And it cannot be examined in a chronological order of events, it jumps back and forth, looking at different vantage points in a multi-dimensional sphere of events. The trumpets and bowls fall within the seals as well. So, chapter 12 is historical, chapter 13 jumps back to the end times. Satan has been messing with us all this time for sure.

Upvote 0

zeke37

IMO...
May 24, 2007
✟20,694.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
silence in heaven for 1/2 an hour....because Satan is cast down.
what hour is that?

I think it's the hour of temptation. 1260 days = time/times/half a time

Satan is cast down for half of that final hour

10 Because thou hast kept the word of my patience, I also will keep thee from the hour of temptation, which shall come upon all the world, to try them that dwell upon the earth.
11 Behold, I come quickly: hold that fast which thou hast, that no man take thy crown.
12 Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, which is new Jerusalem, which cometh down out of heaven from my God: and I will write upon him my new name.

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
silence in heaven for 1/2 an hour....because Satan is cast down.
what hour is that?

I think it's the hour of temptation. 1260 days = time/times/half a time

Satan is cast down for half of that final hour

10 Because thou hast kept the word of my patience, I also will keep thee from the hour of temptation, which shall come upon all the world, to try them that dwell upon the earth.
11 Behold, I come quickly: hold that fast which thou hast, that no man take thy crown.
12 Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, which is new Jerusalem, which cometh down out of heaven from my God: and I will write upon him my new name.

Hi zeke,

Well, I'm not absolutely sure on this, but since it says that it was silent in heaven, and we are not in heaven, I'm not sure that we can know when that happened. This, for me, is one of the few descriptions of an event that happened in heaven that I am just going to accept as fact because God's word tells me that it happened.

I'm not exactly sure why you feel that Jesus' letter to the church applies to this event. Other than the fact that Jesus used the word 'hour' here and I'm thinking it is your habit maybe to go through the Scriptures and every time you see a word repeated you immediately say to yourself, "Oh this must be speaking of the same thing?" The rest of your mathematical evaluation seems rather fuzzy to me.

Consider that at one point in the Revelation of Jesus we are told of two 'witnesses'. In one of his final statments to his disciples he told them that they will be his 'witnesses'. Does this mean that the two witnesses of the Revelation of Jesus are the same witnesses he released upon the earth prior to his ascension? I would be very careful of such understanding. Just because a word is used one place, and the same word used somewhere else does not necessarily, and quite honestly rarely, should be taken as joined in meaning somehow.

The 'hour of temptation' does not mean that it will endure for 60 minutes, nor does it mean that one half of that hour will be the half an hour of silence in heaven. I am confident that the 'hour' used in the 'hour of temptation' is merely another way of saying 'time'. Jesus is going to protect his faithful and true believers during the time of their temptation, is what I believe he is telling and encouraging the church in his letter to them.

What I do know is that the Scriptures promise that if God's children pray for wisdom and understanding, as we both should be doing, He is faithful to answer that prayer. The Spirit of truth will lead each of God's children into all truth. So, my final encouragement is that we both pray diligently for understanding in these things.

God bless you.
IN Christ, Ted

Upvote 0

rdclmn72

May 19, 2007
dunlap, tn
✟36,524.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The episode is based on the rebellion under Coreh where he and 250 followers are swallowed up alive by the earth.
You have the leader and those that follow him singled out for punishment as they threaten the priesthood itself.
The stakes are pretty high as God takes matters into hand.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ebedmelech

My dog Micah in the pic
Site Supporter
Jul 3, 2012
✟187,689.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
The episode is based on the rebellion under Coreh where he and 250 followers are swallowed up alive by the earth.
You have the leader and those that follow him singled out for punishment as they threaten the priesthood itself.
The stakes are pretty high as God takes matters into hand.
How are you seeing that as relevant to the text. I'm curious about that view.

I think what's in Rev 12 is John doing a brief rehearsal of Israel's past and present..."snapshots" in time up the event that is about to happen, which is the destruction of Jerusalem and the temple, as well as the scattering of the Jews by Rome.

Upvote 0

Ronald

Exhortations
Site Supporter
Jul 30, 2004
southern
✟111,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Well, I'm not absolutely sure on this, but since it says that it was silent in heaven, and we are not in heaven, I'm not sure that we can know when that happened.
Silence separates the 7 Seals from the 7 trumpets, not a literal half hour but what John's perspective of time in heaven could very well be ions. Events of visions that John saw were one after another. No other place was there silence, so we may be able to surmise that the scroll with 7 seals was separated by a long period of time. My view is that the scroll was opened 1980 years ago as soon as Jesus ascended into heaven, otherwise John wouldn't know what was in it. So like a play written, it doesn't start until the acts start and characters are on stage > trumpet blow, some 1980+ years later. If you examine the events in the tumpets and bowls, you can see parallel events and in some cases duplicate events within the seals such as:
*the great earthquake causing darkness in Rev.6:18 and Rev. 6:12 is the same event;
*the four horsemen of Rev. 6 are the same as the four in Rev. 9:14;
*the great mulititude in heaven in Rev. 7 is also a parallel view of the 7th trumpet rapture in Rev. 11:15 -- same scene, different vantage point;
*At the end of the 6th seal in Rev.6, we see Armegeddon and the wrath of God > these same events are also seen in Rev 16 & 19

Last edited:
Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Silence separates the 7 Seals from the 7 trumpets, not a literal half hour but what John's perspective was. Events of visions that John saw were one after another. No other place was this silence, so may be able to surmise that the scroll with 7 seals was separated by time. My view is that the scroll was opened 1980 years ago as soon as Jesus ascended into heaven, otherwise John wouldn't know what was in it. So like play written, it doesn't start until the trumpet warnings begin, some 1980+ years later. If you examine the events in the tumpets and bowls, you can see parallel events and in some cases duplicate events within the seals such as:
*the great earthquake causing darkness in Rev.6:18 and Rev. 6:12 is the same event;
*the four horsemen of Rev. 6 are the same as the four in Rev. 9:14;
*the great mulititude in heaven in Rev. 7 is also a parallel view of the 7th trumpet rapture in Rev. 11:15 -- same scene, different vantage point;
*At the end of the 6th seal in Rev.6, we see Armegeddon and the wrath of God > these same events are also seen in Rev 16 & 19

Hi Ronald,

I would certianly consider agreeing that the 1/2 hour is not necessarily a true 1/2 an hour since it does say 'about'. I'm not sure on the rest. I'd have to do some more praying and studying about overlapping or repetition.

God bless you as you seek Him,
In Christ, Ted

Upvote 0

zeke37

IMO...
May 24, 2007
✟20,694.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Hi zeke,

Well, I'm not absolutely sure on this, but since it says that it was silent in heaven, and we are not in heaven, I'm not sure that we can know when that happened.
I don't think it's history, but future. I think it marks the point in the trib where the mouth takes over (Rev13's first beast's mouth)

the reason for the "silence" is because as Rev12 says,
the accuser of our brethren who accused them day and night, is cast down

so, the reason for silence is because Satan will not be in heaven accusing anyone anymore.
where will he be then?
he'll be here on earth, and woe to us on earth for he has but a short time, and is wroth with Christians.

This, for me, is one of the few descriptions of an event that happened in heaven that I am just going to accept as fact because God's word tells me that it happened.
again, I think it's future, not history

I'm not exactly sure why you feel that Jesus' letter to the church applies to this event. Other than the fact that Jesus used the word 'hour' here and I'm thinking it is your habit maybe to go through the Scriptures and every time you see a word repeated you immediately say to yourself, "Oh this must be speaking of the same thing?" The rest of your mathematical evaluation seems rather fuzzy to me.
I connect it to the end times because of the rest of the context of the letter(s)
7 And to the angel of the church in Philadelphia write; These things saith he that is holy, he that is true, he that hath the key of David, he that openeth, and no man shutteth; and shutteth, and no man openeth;
8 I know thy works: behold, I have set before thee an open door, and no man can shut it: for thou hast a little strength, and hast kept my word, and hast not denied my name.
9 Behold, I will make them of the synagogue of Satan, which say they are Jews, and are not, but do lie; behold, I will make them to come and worship before thy feet, and to know that I have loved thee.
13 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches.
seems like end time references to me, all the way through....

Consider that at one point in the Revelation of Jesus we are told of two 'witnesses'. In one of his final statments to his disciples he told them that they will be his 'witnesses'. Does this mean that the two witnesses of the Revelation of Jesus are the same witnesses he released upon the earth prior to his ascension? I would be very careful of such understanding. Just because a word is used one place, and the same word used somewhere else does not necessarily, and quite honestly rarely, should be taken as joined in meaning somehow.
context.
hour is only used a few times in Rev...are they connected? I think so.

as for the two witnesses,
we can note that in Rev1 God defines 7 candlesticks as 7 churches.
God further defines those churches in Rev2-3, and only 2 of them are unchastized,
and those two also share the same doctrine about the synagogue of Satan
that the others seemingly don't.

now, how many times is candlesticks used after that definition by the Lord is given???

twice....

it's used in Rev2, obviously connected to the possibility of the church loosing itself/apostasy
and we see it one other time in Rev11 with regards to the two witnesses

iow, only 2 of the 7 churches are NOT apostate,
and are witnesses to God's truth in the end times, against the beast.

since there are only 2 of the 7 that are unchastized,
and we know that there is apostasy coming from 2Thes2 and 1Tim4
then it is logical to conclude that the 2 candlesticks in Rev11 are those 2 churches

The 'hour of temptation' does not mean that it will endure for 60 minutes, nor does it mean that one half of that hour will be the half an hour of silence in heaven. I am confident that the 'hour' used in the 'hour of temptation' is merely another way of saying 'time'.
I don't think it's a literal hour either...
but it does give us a reference point, with regards to the 1/2 hour.

Jesus is going to protect his faithful and true believers during the time of their temptation, is what I believe he is telling and encouraging the church in his letter to them.
sure. no problem.

What I do know is that the Scriptures promise that if God's children pray for wisdom and understanding, as we both should be doing, He is faithful to answer that prayer. The Spirit of truth will lead each of God's children into all truth. So, my final encouragement is that we both pray diligently for understanding in these things.

God bless you.
IN Christ, Ted
thanks ted, you too....and I pray about these things every day, for many years.....
I asked, and I received....
now, I've had to change my views as I grew in the Word.

but I certainly don't now it all.....yet ;)

Upvote 0