The USA has a gun violence problem,, NOT!

Reformed Lutheran

Sep 28, 2015
✟8,604.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
This is a GIGANTIC amount of gun deaths.

To speak of this as "no big deal" is absolutely callous and insane.

No it's not,, 15 times more people die from lightning strikes around the world then the deaths listed above. More people in some of these states are winning the lottery each year then there are people being murdered with a gun.

Living in a state that has millions of people yet only has a few dozen gun murders per year,, I'm completely content living in a state like that and able to keep my freedoms

Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟557,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
No it's not,, 15 times more people die from lightning strikes around the world then the deaths listed above.

There were 26 people in the US killed by lightning last year. If that were a state and we were talking about guns, that would put it at the 38th lowest total gun-murder rate, between Utah and West Virginia (according to wikipedia's 2010 numbers). There are about 24,000 lightning-related fatalities a year in the world, and about 8,800 firearm-related homicides in the US.

Are you trying to bamboozle us with lousy comparisons or do you really not have any idea how bad your comparison is?

More people in some of these states are winning the lottery each year then there are people being murdered with a gun.

Really? Which ones? Because Vermont, NH, and Maine are all in the bottom 7 for both gun-murder rates and total gun-murders; they have a combined tri-state lottery and their number of gun-murders is WAY higher than their number of lottery winners. (assuming we're talking about jackpots)

Upvote 0

Reformed Lutheran

Sep 28, 2015
✟8,604.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Because Vermont, NH, and Maine are all in the bottom 7 for both gun-murder rates and total gun-murders; they have a combined tri-state lottery and their number of gun-murders is WAY higher than their number of lottery winners. (assuming we're talking about jackpots)
Vermont has a gun murder total of only 2 people per year, 0.03 per capita . TWO people per year! And in New Hampshire it is 5.
That's it,, there's not a gun violence issue

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_violence_in_the_United_States_by_state

Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟367,462.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
240,000 gun deaths in 10 years is a problem, regardless of how many pretty pink ties you try to put on it. Nobody would argue there aren't safe places in America, but the "not my problem" attitude you seem too comfortable to be holding is not going to solve the problem. That makes you part of the problem.

The car argument? Well, I TOTALLY AGREE that cars should be seen as dangerous
as a gun. That's why there are physical limitations (if you're blind, you can't drive); you need to get insurance either for yourself or for your car (is there such a thing as insurance that covers you specifically if you shoot someone?); you can only buy certain types of cars (grades of license); incapacity to use a car safely will cause you to lose your car and never be able to drive again; if there is a medical condition which precludes you from driving, you may not drive.

Is there a national standard that matches this for guns? Pure ignorance is asking this question; and I'm happy to learn.

As a sidebar though, if you consider the amount of time cars are used in this society, comparing them to guns makes absolutely no sense. As a matter of context (how much and how often used), I very much doubt that cars are more dangerous than guns given the number of cars, and the number of people driving in the US compared to how often guns are shot (including time in ranges).

Reactions: Armoured
Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟557,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Vermont has a gun murder total of only 2 people per year, 0.03 per capita . TWO people per year! And in New Hampshire it is 5.
That's it,, there's not a gun violence issue

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_violence_in_the_United_States_by_state

Whoa, look at those goalposts move. I asked which states had more lottery winners than gun-murder victims. I looked over most of the results for the VT, NH, and ME lotteries for this year, and I didn't find anywhere near as many jackpot winners as I there were gun-murder victims. That's including VT's low gun-murder count of 2 - I didn't see any non-scratch jackpots in VT this year.

But no, in the two states with the lowest gun-murder rates in the country, there probably isn't a gun violence issue. But those states aren't representative of the rest of the country. Most of the rest of the country has gun-murder rates at least 5x that high. Most of the people in this country live in states with rates 10x that high.

I gotta wonder if you're even trying to put together a cogent argument, or if you're just trying to throw numbers at us. Do you think these numbers are convincing? Because to the rest of us who know how to read them, they're not.

Reactions: Armoured
Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
No it's not,, 15 times more people die from lightning strikes around the world then the deaths listed above. More people in some of these states are winning the lottery each year then there are people being murdered with a gun.

Living in a state that has millions of people yet only has a few dozen gun murders per year,, I'm completely content living in a state like that and able to keep my freedoms

What is your source on this, as judging by your previous posts, you tend to post bogus information?

http://globalnews.ca/news/1546405/how-many-people-die-from-lightning-strikes-each-year/

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟557,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
mod hat on

This thread has undergone a clean up. The Staff would like to remind everyone that you are called to treat one another with respect, and to remain on the topic of discussion. Posts that we either flaming, goading, or off topic have been moved.

Statement of Purpose and Off-Topic
Read and abide by each forum's Statement of Purpose; Statement of Purpose threads are sticky threads located at the top of the forum's page. Not all forums have a Statement of Purpose thread. Start threads that are relevant to that forum's stated purpose. Submit replies that are relevant to the topic of discussion.

Flaming and Goading
Please treat all members with respect and courtesy through civil dialogue.
Do not attack another member's character or actions in any way, address only the content of their post and not the member personally.
NO Goading. This includes images, cartoons, or smileys clearly meant to goad.
Stating or implying that another Christian member, or group of members, are not Christian is not allowed.
Only the person to whom the post is addressed may report the other. Anyone may report generalized flames or goads which are addressed to a group of members.
Moderators have the right to report egregious violations of flaming or goading.
Clear violations of the flaming rule will result in bans.

Please adhere to the rules of this site, respect one another, quit the name calling and goading, and be at peace with one another.

mod hat off

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟367,462.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Gun control is about the issue, not solution. Stop doing politicians work.
There is no solution (single). There are solutions (plural). Gun control is a solution. It will not prevent all shootings. Nothing will. But why not do things that will make shootings slightly less frequent?

Upvote 0

Vylo

Stick with the King!
Aug 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟203,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
your absolutely wrong.. there are 300 million guns in the US,, there are 8000 or so gun homicides. so clearly the vast vast vast vast vast majority of people are using these guns NOT as a weapon whose soul purpose is to kill.
quite the opposite - Why do you think we have shooting sports in the olympics ? Or have national championships in various shooting sports. Gun use as a "tool" for sport is extremely common and popular.
That's 300 million weapons not tools.

Shooting for sport still doesn't make it a tool, a football is not a tool.

Guns are for killing. That's what they are there for. The killing isn't always bad, but that's their intent.

Upvote 0

Black Dog

Sep 20, 2015
✟4,870.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

Black Dog

Sep 20, 2015
✟4,870.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
More people in some of these states are winning the lottery each year then there are people being murdered with a gun.

That's a really bad argument. What does the number of lottery prizes won have to do with the number of people murdered with guns?

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟557,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
That's a really bad argument. What does the number of lottery prizes won have to do with the number of people murdered with guns?

He's trying to illustrate how rare gun deaths are in some areas. But he's wrong.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums