Visit site
✟9,815.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
MATTHEW 12:22 Then a demon-possessed man, who was both blind and unable to talk, was brought to Jesus. He healed the man so that he could both speak and see. 23 The crowd was amazed. “Could it be that Jesus is the Son of David, the Messiah?” they wondered out loud.

24 But when the Pharisees heard about the miracle, they said, “No wonder he can cast out demons. He gets his power from Satan, the prince of demons.”

25 Jesus knew their thoughts and replied, “Any kingdom at war with itself is doomed. A city or home divided against itself is doomed. 26 And if Satan is casting out Satan, he is fighting against himself. His own kingdom will not survive. 27 And if I am empowered by the prince of demons, what about your own followers? They cast out demons, too, so they will judge you for what you have said. 28 But if I am casting out demons by the Spirit of God, then the Kingdom of God has arrived among you. 29 Let me illustrate this. You can’t enter a strong man’s house and rob him without first tying him up. Only then can his house be robbed! 30 Anyone who isn’t helping me opposes me, and anyone who isn’t working with me is actually working against me.

31 “Every sin or blasphemy can be forgiven—except blasphemy against the Holy Spirit, which can never be forgiven. 32 Anyone who blasphemes against me, the Son of Man, can be forgiven, but blasphemy against the Holy Spirit will never be forgiven, either in this world or in the world to come. (NLT)

Imagine living an empty existence, full of dread at the prospect of meeting Jesus face to face. Sadly, that describes certain Christians. An "unpardonable" sin haunts their faith, preventing them from enjoying the freedom Christ offers. But the one sin Jesus said would not be forgiven-the deliberate rejection of God's power despite overwhelming evidence-could be committed only by people of His day.

The Pharisees who were eyewitnesses to Jesus' miracles stand accused of committing the one truly unpardonable sin. Jealous and angry at Christ's growing popularity among the Jewish people, the religious leaders dismissed His divine healings and exorcisms as the work of Beelzebub, or Satan. Jesus in turn refuted their faulty logic by explaining (1) Satan wouldn't hinder his own work by freeing a demon-possessed man, (2) the Pharisees also practiced exorcism, and (3) a demon could be driven out only by a power greater than its own. The religious leaders knew Jesus' arguments were true but still refused to accept Him as Messiah.

By ascribing the work of the Holy Spirit to the Devil, the Pharisees willfully denied God's power despite irrefutable evidence. True faith and repentance meant nothing to these men compared to their priority of preserving their own reputation as leaders.

mae300

Sep 3, 2005
NEBRASKA
✟8,344.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thank you for your sermon, my husband has shown me the same thing. I used to think that being unfaithful in your marriage was this sin, but my husband showed me as you have stated here that turning our back on Christ and refusing to believe he is our Lord and Savior and the Son of God, that is the only unforgivable sin....how blessed we are to have such a kind and forgiving father. I cannot imagine this world with out the hope of our heavenly father...bleak indeed.

Upvote 0

Ric

1 John 5:13
Feb 6, 2002
Orlando, Florida
Visit site
✟9,815.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
mae300 said:
Thank you for your sermon, my husband has shown me the same thing. I used to think that being unfaithful in your marriage was this sin, but my husband showed me as you have stated here that turning our back on Christ and refusing to believe he is our Lord and Savior and the Son of God, that is the only unforgivable sin....how blessed we are to have such a kind and forgiving father. I cannot imagine this world with out the hope of our heavenly father...bleak indeed.

Amen!

And "Whoops" I forgot to give credit to the author of that devotion.
It's by: Dr. Charles Stanley.

Upvote 0

freyajem

Senior Veteran
Jan 5, 2005
Nova Scotia
✟5,552.00
Faith
Christian
I believe in the Trinity so that Jesus is one in the Holy Spirit and God

but this passage is specific and I would ask you a question

32 Anyone who blasphemes against me, the Son of Man, can be forgiven, but blasphemy against the Holy Spirit will never be forgiven,

Why the specific that blaspheming the Son of Man can be forgiven, but not blaspheming the Holy Spirit. I have never understood that.

Upvote 0

Ric

Feb 6, 2002
Orlando, Florida
Visit site
✟9,815.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
freyajem said:
I believe in the Trinity so that Jesus is one in the Holy Spirit and God

but this passage is specific and I would ask you a question

32 Anyone who blasphemes against me, the Son of Man, can be forgiven, but blasphemy against the Holy Spirit will never be forgiven,

Why the specific that blaspheming the Son of Man can be forgiven, but not blaspheming the Holy Spirit. I have never understood that.

Well if dishonoring the Son of Man is such a serious matter, then total rejection of God by insinuating that his "Holy Spirit" is "evil" is so much the worse. I guess one may reject Christ and later, by God's grace, accept him; but there is no remedy for absolute and complete ongoing denial of the one Holy God--Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. This is what "blaspheme" seems to mean here.

I hope this helps, if not please ask if I can expand on the answer for your question.

Upvote 0

freyajem

Senior Veteran
Jan 5, 2005
Nova Scotia
✟5,552.00
Faith
Christian
Ric said:
Well if dishonoring the Son of Man is such a serious matter, then total rejection of God by insinuating that his "Holy Spirit" is "evil" is so much the worse. I guess one may reject Christ and later, by God's grace, accept him; but there is no remedy for absolute and complete ongoing denial of the one Holy God--Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. This is what "blaspheme" seems to mean here.

I hope this helps, if not please ask if I can expand on the answer for your question.

I'm not sure if it helps Ric

The first thing that came to my mind as I was reading your answer was that Son of God there might be referring to Christ on earth. Christ on earth for me is God but perhaps in human form makes the difference???

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ric

Feb 6, 2002
Orlando, Florida
Visit site
✟9,815.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
freyajem said:
I'm not sure if it helps Ric

The first thing that came to my mind as I was reading your answer was that Son of God there might be referring to Christ on earth. Christ on earth for me is God but perhaps in human form makes the difference???

No, Jesus' human form on the Earth does not make any difference. God is God. God is three separate and distinct persons in one being. (God the Father, Son and Holy Spirit)

Upvote 0

freyajem

Senior Veteran
Jan 5, 2005
Nova Scotia
✟5,552.00
Faith
Christian
Ric said:
No, Jesus' human form on the Earth does not make any difference. God is God. God is three separate and distinct persons in one being. (God the Father, Son and Holy Spirit)

I realize that Ric

I just can't figure then that it is pardonable to blaspheme the Son of God who is God but it is not pardonable to blaspheme the Holy Spirit who is also God. All God....why one okay and not the other? Sorry to be so dense but some things just don't penetrate.:)

Upvote 0

Ric

Feb 6, 2002
Orlando, Florida
Visit site
✟9,815.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
freyajem said:
I realize that Ric

I just can't figure then that it is pardonable to blaspheme the Son of God who is God but it is not pardonable to blaspheme the Holy Spirit who is also God. All God....why one okay and not the other? Sorry to be so dense but some things just don't penetrate.:)

Well the unpardonable part of the sin is that it is an ongoing sin (some one who never repents). :(

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

freyajem

Senior Veteran
Jan 5, 2005
Nova Scotia
✟5,552.00
Faith
Christian
I guess this is what I was looking for Ric

It comes from here http://www.christiananswers.net/q-eden/unpardonablesin.html

The Holy Spirit persuades and enables men to accept Christ and enjoy the saving benefits of the gospel [John 16:8; 1 Corinthians 2:12-14; Acts 7:51], but if anyone refuses to submit to the Spirit's gracious constraint, preferring to call good evil and evil good, how can the gospel avail for him? The deliberate refusal of the grace of God is the one sin which by its very nature is irremediable" [size=-1][F.F. Bruce, Answers to Questions (Grand Rapids, Michigan: Zondervan Publishing House, 1973), pp. 46-47.][/size].
"Anyone who rejects the Holy Spirit's convicting influence

Upvote 0