The Truth and Lies about Chimp DNA/fossils.

Do you believe the argument in the OP is defensible Scientifically and Theologically?

• Yes (why?)

• No (why not?)

• Somewhat (explain at will)

• If and only if (what is your conditional?)

Results are only viewable after voting.

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
True as far as it goes, indeed most mutations are neutral because they don't effect how things function.

Pure fact, and pure speculation. Just because we consider some changes neutral has absolutely no bearing on if they actually are neutral or not.
Not knowing is the fact. Ignorance about DNA function is the norm.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Lego's have similar characteristics.
Small changes may or may not cause mayhem.

Well, I don't think DNA is stacked, it's linked horizontally and vertically. When a reading frame is disrupted due to a copy error is results in disease and disorder the vast majority of the time. Don't get me wrong, that is not to say that all changes are deleterious.

Pure fact, and pure speculation. Just because we consider some changes neutral has absolutely no bearing on if they actually are neutral or not.

I think not, there is perhaps an unseen effect from mutations in Alu elements but as long as they are not evident they are neutral. There is a lot about DNA that is unknown, not the least of which is the so called 'junk DNA'.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Papias

Listening to TW4
Dec 22, 2005
✟57,276.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
SW wrote:

mark's statement is not only consistent with what the experts say, it is also shown to be correct by the fact that we have many expamples to see.

MM- If you like, I can list some of them (not to make a point - since we aready agree they exist - just in case you are interested).

Short post because I have to help get the kids (and me) ready for church-

Papias

PS - also, the general topic of beneficial mutations is a little off-topic for this thread (the OP is pretty specific). Yes, I was part of setting this tangent, so maybe we (any of us) should start a new thread? I didn't mean to contribute to hijacking a thread.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I started the thread in order to organize what I have collected over the years debating on the forum. Since I'm saving the thread for future reference I wanted to make, what will hopefully be, my last formal debate on the subject.

ERVs put chimp/human common ancestry beyond any reasonable doubt.

This is one of those enigmatic arguments that evolutionists become obsessed with and I've never really understood why. Viral infections in the early stages of development would kill any chance of the newly formed organism actually surviving. They would have you believe that 8% of the human genome is the result of these rare and highly lethal viral infections. It is, quite possibly, the worst homology argument I have ever seen and yet they parade it around as if it were definitive proof.

One of the viruses they like to use to research ERVs is HIV, it has a lot in common with what they believe is the germline variety. It reminds me of the old abiogenesis arguments, you know, life from non-living, random, molecular fragments. It's just fascinating that they would rather believe that a viral infection is a better explanation for such a major element of the human genome then God doing something purposeful.

At any rate, just adding it here so that I have a complete set of notes.

Grace and peace,
Mark

Upvote 0