• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

The Traumatized church

Gordon Wright

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
✟17,383.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This happens to me a lot. I have something on my heart that I need to discuss, but I don't where where. So, I'm sticking this one here, and let the mods move it if they feel necessary.

About me: suffered a lot of emotional abuse and neglect growing up. Eventually I decided to get over it with God's help.

About this church: the same, except for the getting over it. It started out as a radical church all about discipleship and the Great Commission, but the leader fell hard into the sin of pride. The fish rotted from the head, and the whole church culture became deeply toxic. Hierarchical, bullying, and unwilling to listen.

This was many years ago. They're still traumatized. They've fallen into the worldly mentality of safe spaces and the Cult of Nice. This prevents any spiritual growth whatsoever. They're so concerned with avoiding feeling the pain of their wounds that their wounds cannot heal at all.

On the outside, this is a lukewarm church. It seems to serve no Biblical purpose. It is fully and deeply committed to mediocrity at all costs. On the inside, it is a church trapped in spiritual bondage. Most of its sins are sins of omission, and this let them decieve themselves that they have no great sins. The only time I've seen any fire in the belly in when people get defensive. They have no love, only fear. They have no courage, no rationality, no curiosity. Their idea of evangelism is to try bring back the fallaways by making whatever compromises are demanded. In the name of compassion, they refuse to anything that would lead to real healing. The wounds fester untreated. Time does not heal all wounds. Cowardice does not heal any wounds.

I've given up on church shopping. Every church is defective in some way. I want to try to grow where I am, to do God's work where I am. If I don't confront this problem, I'll just confront someother problem sonewhere else. Or the same problem. This church has become so much like the dead, angst-ridden churches out there that I can't tell the difference anymore. It makes me wonder how all these other churches got that way. Maybe they too once had zeal not based on knowledge.

Their idea of being loving is to avoid harshness. jesus was plenty harsh when it was called for, but they think harshness is bad because they got so much of it. I've tried to explain that was never the real issue, but they just can't hear it. Now everyone is afraid to say anything much, for fear of setting someone else off. They call this love. It's not love. It's fear. Fear is all they can feel. They just call it by other names. What they call discipleship is fear. What they call grace is fear. What they call compassion is fear. What they call maturiy is fear. What they call civility is fear. They fear each other, and they fear themselves, and they fear the world.

I'm disgusted with them. They are deeply neurotic, and enabling each other. I cannot grow through them, because they are everything I have labored mightily to rise above. I cannot help them grow, because they are not ready to repent of their cowardice.

On the assumption that it's not a coincidence that this church now closely resembles all the others, I'd like to air this out before a broader audience. I have decided to grow beyond what was done to me, to become someone who doesn't need lots of hugs and trigger warnings. I have decided to become stronger in the faith. I am willing to leave behind me those who won't grow with me. But it's lonely. Where is the body of Christ? Where are others who are at least trying to grow in the faith? Is there any organization that makes spiritual healing and growth a priority?

People are kiiling and dying in the world. People are cheating each other and ending up poor. Leaders don't know where they're going, followers don't know whom to trust. Politics these days is ranting demagogues versus an out-of-touch establishment. Religion these days is happy talk and gaslighting. Where is the light of the world? Where is the salt of the earth? The ones who are supposed to be the world's salvation are diseased themselves, and have chosen not to get better. If this is all there is, then there is no hope and the world is doomed. Christianity is comatose, if not dead. God is just a name they drop. Jesus is just someone they project on to.

Where is the resurrection? i see only death and decay.

I've had a bad day, which is why I'm posting this, but I feel the same even on good days.

BeStill&Know

Site Supporter
Sep 13, 2015
✟68,040.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Every church is defective in some way.
Jesus ask you to focus on Him not a church building or denomination, right? Jesus is not defective, right?
I have decided to become stronger in the faith. I am willing to leave behind me those who won't grow with me. But it's lonely. Where is the body of Christ? Where are others who are at least trying to grow in the faith? Is there any organization that makes spiritual healing and growth a priority?
Good, become stronger by following your Savior Words. Be patient with others as the Lord is patient with you. Every true follower is on their own journey with the Lord, some slower, others faster. Loneliness you share with the Lord Jesus when He was here. He understands. Like the above post says He will bring you, those who will help you on your journey. There are organizations out there, that you will find, make Jesus your 1st priority first so that you won't be distracted by religious activities later.

Religion these days is happy talk and gaslighting. Where is the light of the world? Where is the salt of the earth? The ones who are supposed to be the world's salvation are diseased themselves, and have chosen not to get better. If this is all there is, then there is no hope and the world is doomed.
The Light and the Salt is Jesus, and then you when His Spirit is in you. His followers can not save anyone, unless I have mis-understood you? They can be introduced to Jesus who can save them. John 6:44 Jesus declares “no one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him...... we who are drawn have a passive role in the process. There is no doubt that we respond to His drawing us, but the drawing itself is all on His part.
Where is the resurrection? i see only death and decay.
The physical resurrection has not yet occurred worldwide. The Spiritual resurrection is upon death of a believer. Death and decay will continue to exist according to His Word until His return...

Upvote 0

Danoh

Oct 11, 2011
✟40,528.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I once had a friend who attended an assembly where the gospel of the grace of God was not compromised and the Pastor focused his every Sunday morning sermon on "words of Grace" he hoped might help his assembly better navigate the Christian life throughout the coming week.

Despite that, and this friend's obvious awareness of that Pastor's sound teaching, all this friend could do was belly ache about one imperfection after another.

Eventually, this friend left that assembly, dropped our friendship and was never heard from again.

And that was someone in a Biblically strong, warm, caring assembly of people; most of whom would readily go out of their way for others, at the same time that they refused to compromise the gospel of the grace of God.

In other words, this person was in one great assembly...

Some just get in their own way and are determined to and there is not always a simple answer for that.

But when you think on it; it's no surprise to find a wretch of an individual, or individuals, in any assembly - Christ died to save "a wretch like me."

But some never come to grips with the need to just simply walk by faith in the instruction of Romans 12:1-2 in light of Romans 5:1-2.

Sometimes, entire assemblies are like that.

Doesn't mean all Believers and or all assemblies are like that - just keep looking until you find one.

Pay no mind to the "church hopping" stigma - your spiritual well being is relying on you to "press toward the mark of the high calling in Christ Jesus" - not to settle for any assembly where that is not the priority.

The best to you in this...

Upvote 0

Job8

Dec 1, 2014
✟21,583.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I've given up on church shopping. Every church is defective in some way. I want to try to grow where I am, to do God's work where I am.
Here's what you can do:
1. Put aside your feelings about this church and any other churches.
2. Put together a Gospel tract and have it for distribution.
3. Go and visit every home in your district and share the Gospel.
4. Invite all to your home for Bible study and worship.
5. Bring together a group of like-minded Christians and work together for the Kingdom.
6. Keep sowing the seed of the Gospel and discipling those who are saved.

This should help you and others to grow and serve.

Reactions: Danoh
Upvote 0

John Johnston

Apr 6, 2016
Kansas
✟15,155.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You are right when you said every church is defective in someway. Every church is full of defective humans. The church is where US "defective humans" should be. We have all sinned and all of us are carrying some baggage of some type. Some don't want to admit this to themselves.

A good Holiness church is a good place to be. One that teaches Holiness and Sanctification. These two terms don't make us perfect as some believe it does. Sanctification is a second work of grace. Sanctification is a way of life. We are striving to be as Christ like as we can. We will not be wholly sanctified until we stand before God and He completes the work in us. That is my very short description of sanctification.

You said "They're so concerned with avoiding feeling the pain of their wounds that their wounds cannot heal at all."
This is a very profound statement which I see a lot in the church. It is a very big stumbling block for many people. I lived that way for years concerning my sexual abuse. I wanted to avoid those feelings of pain it caused me so bad I would not deal with it. Just like if you break your leg you don't want the doctor to set the bone because you know setting it is going to hurt so bad. Your just willing to deal with the pain as it is and won't go through the pain of healing. But if you let the doctor put you through that pain while setting the bone you will feel so much better after he sets it. We as Christians do this with the hurts we have inside us.

I went through a lot of pain healing from my sexual abuse but after facing the pain and going through the pain of healing I feel much better now.

So your statement is one all of us Christians should contemplate and ask God if we are doing that. There is NO need for a Christian to hurt and feel defeated all their life.

So I as a Nazarene have to recommend getting into a good Holiness based church. We as Christians are not perfect but if we are willing to give everything to God we can start a walk striving perfection and we will finally be perfect when we stand before God and He completes the process.

Also being sanctified does not mean we can not sin as some make it out to be. If we are sanctified and walking in Holiness we will be trying to walk in total obedience to God and will do everything we can to not sin but we are imperfect on this earth and can still stumble.

Hope this makes sense.

John

Reactions: xTx
Upvote 0