Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
The west indies, obviously in the west, but apparently they are not 'western' countries.

The explorers thought they had discovered india but they were mistaken. Map names in english are very eurocentric. Im sure the natives didnt call their own region west indies. Or thought of themselves as indians for that matter.

Upvote 0

Archie the Preacher

Apostle to the Intellectual Skeptics
Apr 11, 2003
Hastings, Nebraska - the Heartland!
Visit site
✟38,822.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Goodbook said:
I dont know if klingons actually exist...or maybe they only exist on tv.
Hmm
I don't think they really exist (outside of television). You'll note the 'if' in the sentence.

Goodbook said:
China was called the middle kingdom.
Establishing the ancient country of China considered itself the 'center' of the world, if not the Universe.

Upvote 0

Archie the Preacher

Apr 11, 2003
Visit site
✟38,822.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Goodbook said:
If theres going to be a third world war are we expecting it to be in africa?
Do you mean "World War III" or "War of the Third World"? If the second, are you considering a war of other nations to control the "Third World" (between say Iran and the United States for control of Uganda) or a war between only nations in the "Third World" (between Uganda and Rawanda, for instance)?

Goodbook said:
Map names in english are very eurocentric.
Yes, they were. Chinese maps were all labelled in Chinese and featured China - or the current Chinese capital - as the 'starting point'. So Chinese maps were Sinocentric, right? The same for maps of the indigenous Alaskan people, I reckon. It is a valid point, but rather meaningless in the larger picture.

Goodbook said:
Im sure the natives didnt call their own region west indies.
You're most likely right. They probably called their region 'the Earth' or 'the homeland' or something similar, just like everyone else.
Goodbook said:
Or thought of themselves as indians for that matter.
Again most likely correct. Nearly every civilization in the history of the Earth have had a name for themselves roughly translatable to 'the People' or 'the Human Beings'.

Upvote 0

Archie the Preacher

Apr 11, 2003
Visit site
✟38,822.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Goodbook said:
I just find it interesting the way we use language of course is very centred around ourselves.

Instead of being centred around God I suppose.
I agree. No doubt there's a serious lesson there somewhere. So far, I haven't figured it out. [Too soon old, too late smart] Sigh...

Upvote 0