The thing that helps me most on Internet forums

GoodNewsJim

Senior Veteran
Aug 2, 2006
Visit site
✟20,152.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Remember Abe Lincoln paraphrased,"When I'm angry a someone, I write them a very angry letter, then I put it in the stove and burn it." I quite frequently write things on the Internet, but after further review, realize it is not quality stuff and does not further God's kingdom, so I don't post it. Do you find yourself doing this too?

I think Lincoln's exercise is not in vain either. God gets to read that letter you wrote and understands what you are going through as if it was a prayer,"God, I'm struggling with this guy."

Now not all my articles are "I hate you" sort of stuff. I rarely hate people, but sometimes I am about to argue with a fool in such a way that an onlooker wouldn't be able to tell who is the fool. This is when I delete posts.

How about you?

Lord Herdsetk

What were they thinking?
Dec 4, 2010
Alabama
✟16,810.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'm the same way, though I often just post them anyways. Once I post it I choose just not to look at it again. Its a bad habit of mine.

I guess I should try starting a personal blog then. Might be a good way for me to get my thoughts out there without starting something. I'm horrible at thinking unless I'm writing or typing my thoughts out.

Upvote 0

GoodNewsJim

Senior Veteran
Aug 2, 2006
Visit site
✟20,152.00
Faith
Presbyterian
A good place to blog about Jesus is Twitter. You never know who might read your blog on Twitter. If you have something longer than 140, just host it someplace and link via Twitter.

I used to think Twitter was useless, but I got my job through Twitter, and most of my evangelism is done through Twitter now.

Reactions: .Mikha'el.
Upvote 0

.Mikha'el.

7x13=28
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
May 22, 2004
British Columbia
✟1,006,833.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Remember Abe Lincoln paraphrased,"When I'm angry a someone, I write them a very angry letter, then I put it in the stove and burn it." I quite frequently write things on the Internet, but after further review, realize it is not quality stuff and does not further God's kingdom, so I don't post it. Do you find yourself doing this too?

I think Lincoln's exercise is not in vain either. God gets to read that letter you wrote and understands what you are going through as if it was a prayer,"God, I'm struggling with this guy."

Now not all my articles are "I hate you" sort of stuff. I rarely hate people, but sometimes I am about to argue with a fool in such a way that an onlooker wouldn't be able to tell who is the fool. This is when I delete posts.

How about you?
I did it last night. I was gonna PM someone on here, but realized I would be slamming someone else who is long gone from CF, so I didn't send it.

Upvote 0

K9_Trainer

Unusually unusual, absolutely unpredictable
May 31, 2006
✟18,437.00
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Am I the only person who enjoys riling people up when they annoy you? I'll admit I am rarely the better person in such cases lol

I think you know all about how i am when it comes to that :sorry: :D

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

NoodlesNoodlesNoodles

I am a bad person.
Jan 30, 2010
La la land.
✟14,001.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Three "quotes" that help me and pretty much stop 99.9% of my initial vitriol (listed in roughly the order that my mind considers them):

Galations 6:10: "So then, while we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, and especially to those who are of the household of the faith."

Philippians 2:3: "Do nothing from selfishness or empty conceit, but with humility of mind regard one another as more important than yourselves;"

Ephesians 4:32: "Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you."

My trouble with Abe's quote, which I've heard and pondered, is that it does no good to envenomate a paper that no one will see(except the very God whom I'm sinning against by thinking evil of one of His creation). The venom still came out of the same source: Me. Better to remove the venom glands, or at least retard their production.

Upvote 0

MacFall

Agorist
Nov 24, 2007
Western Pennsylvania, USA
✟25,688.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yeah, I do that. And considering how caustic some of my posts actually end up being anyway, it's definitely for the best.

Also, props to Noodles^3 for being the best at respectful disagreement.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AlexBP

Apr 20, 2010
Virginia
✟10,340.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
How about you?
I used to be one of those types who would go to great lengths to savage my internet opponents with the most creative insults that I could come up with. After I became a Christian, I realized that it was counter-productive. I certainly still feel like this often:
0d5e1a72-0d9f-4591-b227-bc1e4caff2d6.jpg

but I try my hardest to avoid letting negative emotions spill out in my posts. I don't deliberately write out angry posts and then delete them. It would be more accurate to say that I compose an angry post in my head and then try to analyze which parts could be nicened* and post those. I won't claim to be perfect, though. Sometimes I still post things that I shouldn't.

*I know that it's not a word, but it should be.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

WileyCoyote

Contributor
Dec 4, 2007
✟54,975.00
Country
United States
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
There's been plenty of times when I write something unedifying and I keep myself from posting it. But then, there have also been times when I click "post" after writing something damaging. That is how to easily get yourself in trouble here.

Reactions: Rhye
Upvote 0

Ceta_cea

I'm a Kings Daugther
Mar 1, 2011
a village near Lucerne
✟7,845.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Normally I just start writing, then I'll read what I've written and change things until it sits right with me. I'm trying to not harm others and rather tell God that someone is creating trouble for me. I would rather encouraging others than hurt them.

Upvote 0