Visit site
✟23,182.00
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I began to read your original post. You can learn the best of what music theory has to offer in the Tertian Harmony and Chord Manual available through the link in my profile.

As I remember, there is a forum for discussing music. This is not it.

You state that the Theory of Evolution is biology.

It is a biological theory.

What actually is biology in the Theory of Evolution?

The theory of evolution is the biological explanation for the diversity of life.

Why is the Theory of Evolution not a madman's rambling as referenced in 2 Timothy 4:3-4, "they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear.", begun in 1859 and even supported by moderators today.

The theory of evolution is not the ramblings of a madman because it is supported by evidence, and it makes sense to those whose minds are not filled with baseless absurdities.

If you claim the Theory of Evolution is biology, show proof of this.

What would it be, if not biology.

Otherwise you are merely attempting to elevate theory beyond its normal definition, an unproven fact.
What is normal for you may be subnormal for others. In science, a theory is an explanation for observed phenomena, that makes testable predictions.

I do not claim music theory to be musicology.

"mu·si·col·o·gy (my
oomacr.gif
lprime.gif
z
ibreve.gif
-k
obreve.gif
l
prime.gif
schwa.gif
-j
emacr.gif
)
n. The historical and scientific study of music.

mu
lprime.gif
si·co·log
prime.gif
i·cal
(-k
schwa.gif
-l
obreve.gif
j
prime.gif
ibreve.gif
-k
schwa.gif
l) adj.

mu
lprime.gif
si·co·log
prime.gif
i·cal·ly
adv.

mu
lprime.gif
si·col
prime.gif
o·gist
n."

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2009. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

What then is music theory?

In any case, whether it is or not, it has nothing to do with biology, or evolution. And whatever your expertise in music, it is evident to anyone familiar with biology, that you are abysmally ignorant of the subject.

:wave:

Upvote 0

Cabal

Jul 22, 2007
London
✟30,012.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
So what percentage of your post count do you think contains bible quotations :D

Well, technically Bible quotations contain a couple of numbers, indicating chapter and verse, so maybe some of those integer counts count?

Upvote 0

sfs

Jun 30, 2003
Massachusetts
✟342,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The theory of evolution is a scientific model that explains, connects and predicts observations about biological phenomena. Therefore it is part of biology.

Why is the Theory of Evolution not a madman's rambling as referenced in 2 Timothy 4:3-4, "they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear.", begun in 1859 and even supported by moderators today.
Because it is a) not the product of a madman, but rather the life work of thousands of quite sane individuals; b) not rambling, but a detailed, highly mathematical set of interconnected models well supported by data; and c) it is not particularly popular with students.

That's already been established in U.S. federal courts, particularly in Kitzmiller v Dover and Edwards v Aguillard. The reason that it's biology I've already given above (as have others).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Cabal

Jul 22, 2007
London
✟30,012.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Which raises an interesting question, is it more literal to take Numbers as a name or as numbers?

Iirc, the name "Numbers" is actually about counting the number of escaped Israelite men - so it's sort of related to numbers, but not quite the same - cardinality vs ordinality, perhaps.

Upvote 0

Split Rock

Conflation of Blathers
Nov 3, 2003
North Dakota
✟22,466.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
The theory of evolution explains the diversity and distribution of Life on earth. Biology is the study of Life. Is this really confusing to you?

Actually, this sounds more like creationism, but seeing as you quoted a sentence fragment out of its biblical context, I guess the point is mute.

See above... or a textbook on biology.

Otherwise you are merely attempting to elevate theory beyond its normal definition, an unproven fact.
Science doesn't "prove" facts.

I do not claim music theory to be musicology.
That's probably because there is no such word. Biology is a word. :doh:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gracchus

Senior Veteran
Dec 21, 2002
California
Visit site
✟23,182.00
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I stand corrected, then. :)

So, what is the definition of musicology? Does it include "music theory?"

"mu·si·col·o·gy (my
oomacr.gif
lprime.gif
z
ibreve.gif
-k
obreve.gif
l
prime.gif
schwa.gif
-j
emacr.gif
)
n.

The historical and scientific study of music.

mu
lprime.gif
si·co·log
prime.gif
i·cal (-k
schwa.gif
-l
obreve.gif
j
prime.gif
ibreve.gif
-k
schwa.gif
l) adj.

mu
lprime.gif
si·co·log
prime.gif
i·cal·ly adv.

mu
lprime.gif
si·col
prime.gif
o·gist n."

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2009. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

:wave:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Cabal

Jul 22, 2007
London
✟30,012.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I stand corrected, then. :)

Not to worry, not the worst reaction I've had, goodness knows when I was an idiot teenager I fnarr-fnarred at my dad's field to his face on one occasion "because it wasn't science" - at which point he then proceed to pwn my backside with a whole bunch of physics formulas about frequencies on a taut string. Definitely NOT what I was expecting. So yeah, I can hardly talk ;)

And at least this time I've been able to mention that my dad is a musicologist without someone bringing up Prince :hhh:

So, what is the definition of musicology? Does it include "music theory?"

Yes. Music theory involves a lot of science, effectively - harmonics, acoustics, etc. as well as technical stuff like score notation. Musicology combines music theory along with the psychological, artistic, historical and sociological aspects of all the different genres of music.

Basically it's an umbrella term for combining a whole bunch of sub-fields - a bit like I could say I'm a experimentalist in ultracold quantum gases - or I could just call myself a "physicist" as I do have some experience in several other fields as well that fall under that category. My dad calls himself a musicologist, but his speciality is more on the historical side of things (Baroque music, especially Vivaldi)

Upvote 0