The Sun is shutting down , is another LIA coming ?

Greatcloud

May 3, 2007
Oregon coast
✟48,000.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The Sunspot Enigma: The Sun is “Dead”—What Does it Mean for Earth?

sunspots_2.jpg
Dark spots, some as large as 50,000 miles in diameter, typically move across the surface of the sun, contracting and expanding as they go. These strange and powerful phenomena are known as sunspots, but now they are all gone. Not even solar physicists know why it’s happening and what this odd solar silence might be indicating for our future.

Although periods of inactivity are normal for the sun, this current period has gone on much longer than usual and scientists are starting to worry—at least a little bit. Recently 100 scientists from Europe, Asia, Latin America, Africa and North America gathered to discuss the issue at an international solar conference at Montana State University. Today's sun is as inactive as it was two years ago, and solar physicists don’t have a clue as to why.

"It continues to be dead," said Saku Tsuneta with the National Astronomical Observatory of Japan, program manager for the Hinode solar mission, noting that it is at least a little bit worrisome for scientists.

Dana Longcope, a solar physicist at MSU, said the sun usually operates on an 11-year cycle with maximum activity occurring in the middle of the cycle. The last cycle reached its peak in 2001 and is believed to be just ending now, Longcope said. The next cycle is just beginning and is expected to reach its peak sometime around 2012. But so far nothing is happening.

"It's a dead face," Tsuneta said of the sun's appearance.

Tsuneta said solar physicists aren't weather forecasters and they can't predict the future. They do have the ability to observe, however, and they have observed a longer-than-normal period of solar inactivity. In the past, they observed that the sun once went 50 years without producing sunspots. That period coincided with a little ice age on Earth that lasted from 1650 to 1700. Coincidence? Some scientists say it was, but many worry that it wasn’t.

Geophysicist Phil Chapman, the first Australian to become an astronaut with NASA, said pictures from the US Solar and Heliospheric Observatory also show that there are currently no spots on the sun. He also noted that the world cooled quickly between January last year and January this year, by about 0.7C.

"This is the fastest temperature change in the instrumental record, and it puts us back to where we were in 1930," Dr Chapman noted in The Australian today.

If the world does face another mini Ice Age, it could come without warning. Evidence for abrupt climate change is readily found in ice cores taken from Greenland and Antarctica. One of the best known examples of such an event is the Younger Dryas cooling, which occurred about 12,000 years ago, named after the arctic wildflower found in northern European sediments. This event began and ended rather abruptly, and for its entire 1000 year duration the North Atlantic region was about 5°C colder. Could something like this happen again? There’s no way to tell, and because the changes can happen all within one decade—we might not even see it coming.

The Younger Dryas occurred at a time when orbital forcing should have continued to drive climate to the present warm state. The unexplained phenomenon has been the topic of much intense scientific debate, as well as other millennial scale events.

Now this 11-year low in Sunspot activity has raised fears among a small but growing number of scientists that rather than getting warmer, the Earth could possibly be about to return to another cooling period. The idea is especially intriguing considering that most of the world is in preparation for global warming.

Canadian scientist Kenneth Tapping of the National Research Council has also noted that solar activity has entered into an unusually inactive phase, but what that means—if anything—is still anyone’s guess. Another solar scientist, Oleg Sorokhtin, a fellow of the Russian Academy of Natural Sciences, however, is certain that it’s an indication of a coming cooling period.

Sorokhtin believes that a lack of sunspots does indicate a coming cooling period based on certain past trends and early records. In fact, he calls manmade climate change "a drop in the bucket" compared to the fierce and abrupt cold that can potentially be brought on by inactive solar phases.

Sorokhtin’s advice: "Stock up on fur coats"…just in case.

Hespera

Dec 16, 2008
usa
✟8,850.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Private
I wonder what it is in the human psyche that makes it necessary to always have some sort of doom about to break?

I was sleeping very irregular hours for a while after I broke my leg, and listened to "coat to coast" for the first time, just recently. Amazing how many kinds of doom there are headed our way, planet x, etc etc.

This sunspot stuff is interesting, I like to track things on spaceweather, but as for stocking up on fur coats, i got to get my tinfoil and my godzilla repellent ready too.
so much to do so little time~

Upvote 0

Washington

Jul 3, 2003
Washington state
✟7,305.00
Faith
Agnostic
The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! The End Times are Upon us!! Or something.

Upvote 0

Morcova

Oct 30, 2006
✟10,470.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
I was sleeping very irregular hours for a while after I broke my leg, and listened to "coat to coast" for the first time, just recently. Amazing how many kinds of doom there are headed our way, planet x, etc etc.

Haha, you have to love coast to coast.

Hope your leg is doing better!

Upvote 0

a.d.ivNonasNovembres

I don't know anything
Nov 2, 2008
Wales
Visit site
✟9,612.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I know there would be problems for agriculture. But I still hope we have another little ice age in my life time. I love cold weather.
And in the international markets of the modern world, we can surely just rely on cultivating further south than normal?

Upvote 0

TemperateSeaIsland

Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi
Aug 7, 2005
Wales, UK
✟21,785.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I know there would be problems for agriculture. But I still hope we have another little ice age in my life time. I love cold weather.
And in the international markets of the modern world, we can surely just rely on cultivating further south than normal?

It's not as simple as that though. Ice ages also lead to drier weather in the equatorial regions, which leads to loss of rainforests and an increased threat of famine for the populations in those regions.

Upvote 0

a.d.ivNonasNovembres

I don't know anything
Nov 2, 2008
Wales
Visit site
✟9,612.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
It's not as simple as that though. Ice ages also lead to drier weather in the equatorial regions, which leads to loss of rainforests and an increased threat of famine for the populations in those regions.
Crap...
Well we got loads of rain in here (you in Wales too so you should know) does modern technology let us transport water large distances?

Upvote 0

Hespera

Dec 16, 2008
usa
✟8,850.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Private
Haha, you have to love coast to coast.

Hope your leg is doing better!

Coast to coast is a funny program. Sometimes they talk about real things..i think..but i hardly can believe anything that comes out of that show.

Fibula is in five pieces the tibia is badly fractured but at least held together. Its all an interesting experience! But I dont reccommend it. Its getting better of course but hard to see progress day to day. Thanks for your concern!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Chalnoth

Senior Contributor
Aug 14, 2006
Italy
✟28,653.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
This has already been answered:

http://www.skepticalscience.com/global-cooling-january-2007-to-january-2008.htm

A 0.7C cooling, if it were caused by the sun, would require TSI to drop by 15 W/m^2. The solar cycle varies by only 1.3 W/m^2. It is fundamentally impossible for the culprit to be the Sun. La Nina is the likely cause. I will have to amend my previous statements, however, as it looks like La Nina is still ongoing:
http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/analysis_monitoring/enso_advisory/ensodisc.html
So it looks like we will probably get another cold year. Well, cold relative to the past decade: still warm compared to the last century. And still a temporary cooling.

And as for this being the "fastest climate change", it's not climate, it's weather, and look at 1998.

Upvote 0

TemperateSeaIsland

Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi
Aug 7, 2005
Wales, UK
✟21,785.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
La Nina is the likely cause. I will have to amend my previous statements, however, as it looks like La Nina is still ongoing:
http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/analysis_monitoring/enso_advisory/ensodisc.html
So it looks like we will probably get another cold year. Well, cold relative to the past decade: still warm compared to the last century. And still a temporary cooling.

And as for this being the "fastest climate change", it's not climate, it's weather, and look at 1998.

Yeah, I confused a friend when I started shouting profanities when I heard about the developing La Nina on the radio. Last summer sucked badly...Funny thing is I dont remember 1998 being particulary hot, it was nice but nothing like 2003, which was really really hot.

Upvote 0

Chalnoth

Senior Contributor
Aug 14, 2006
Italy
✟28,653.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Yeah, I confused a friend when I started shouting profanities when I heard about the developing La Nina on the radio. Last summer sucked badly...Funny thing is I dont remember 1998 being particulary hot, it was nice but nothing like 2003, which was really really hot.
Well, 1998 was particularly warm compared to the surrounding years, but of late it's been similarly warm. It's also worth mentioning, however, that climate change is not uniform: the pattern of warming over the past decade won't have been the same as a single-year spike due to an El Nino. Heck, I don't think that any of us would even notice if every day this year was half a degree warmer (or cooler) than last year, just because the day-to-day variation is so much greater than that.

What I remember about 1998 wasn't the temperature, but instead the massive amount of precipitation we got that winter.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Chalnoth

Senior Contributor
Aug 14, 2006
Italy
✟28,653.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
The TSI of the sun does not have to get to .7 C in one year it can build up over many years of cooling. We don't know for certain at this time but we will some day.
So you admit that the Sun cannot be responsible for the recent cold spell?

Upvote 0

Greatcloud

May 3, 2007
Oregon coast
✟48,000.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I think we have to admit we don't know everything about the sun yet. Now for something completely different, cold climate more to be feared then warm climate:

The Deadliest U.S. Natural Hazard: Extreme Cold

18 12 2008
Ads by GooglePrepare to be Shocked
Millions have already taken this
amazing test. What's your RealAge?
RealAge.com

3195-734559.jpg

There’s a new essay from Indur Goklany in response to a recent Reuters news article.
Yesterday Reuters reported on a study which claimed that heat is the deadliest form of natural hazard for the United States. However, this result is based on questionable data. The study used results for mortality from extreme heat and cold that can be traced to the National Climatic Data Center. But these data are substantially different from mortality data from the Center for Disease Control (CDC) based on the Compressed Mortality File for the United States. The latter uses death certificate records, which provide the cause of each recorded death (based on medical opinion). It is reasonable to believe that regarding the cause of death, particularly for extreme cold and heat, medical opinion as captured in death certificate records is more reliable than determinations made by the meteorologists in the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s NCDC (even if they have Ph.Ds.).
The essay draws on data from the CDC database of mortality in the USA. See this table:
200812_goklany_blog2.jpg

Combining data from the CDC database for extreme cold and extreme heat, and various arms of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration for floods, lightning, hurricanes, and tornadoes, Goklany has shown that extreme cold, rather than heat, is the deadliest form of extreme weather event. In fact, from 1979-2002, extreme cold was responsible for 53 percent of deaths due to all these categories of extreme weather, while extreme heat contributes slightly more than half that (28%). For more, see The Deadliest U.S. Natural Hazard: Extreme Cold.
Of course we all know that the human race has historically done better during warm periods. While we’ve seen a sloght warming in the last century, we’ve also seen a worldwide improvement in the human condition.

Warm - what’s not to like?

Upvote 0