The story of Noah's Ark, fiction?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
depthdeception said:
You should go full-on Wesley and add "Experience." It feels pretty good.
Many Anglicans do, including Wesley who was, of course, an Anglican priest.

It spoils the 3-legged stool metaphore though. Four legged stools wobble, 3 legged ones don't.

Upvote 0

depthdeception

Jun 8, 2005
✟4,804.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
ebia said:
Many Anglicans do, including Wesley who was, of course, an Anglican priest.

It spoils the 3-legged stool metaphore though. Four legged stools wobble, 3 legged ones don't.

Ha! I've hurt myself on a lot more 3 legged stools than on 4 legged ones!

Upvote 0

PaladinValer

Traditional Orthodox Anglican
Apr 7, 2004
Myrtle Beach, SC
✟30,305.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
depthdeception said:
Does membership include a complimentary bottle of bourbon?

No, but if you get Confirmed there, you might get a polite smack in the face from the bishop! :D

Plus there's no "boose" in our church. We get His real Blood! :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

david_x

I So Hate Consequences!!!!
Dec 24, 2004
Indiana
✟21,439.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
We get His real Blood!

oh now there's a topic to discuss! but not here probiably.

Well, reason never stopped me from getting hurt on those 3 legged stools...

It might have if you used it not to sit on the stool again! ;)

Upvote 0

shernren

you are not reading this.
Feb 17, 2005
Shah Alam, Selangor
Visit site
✟18,881.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
In Relationship
oh now there's a topic to discuss! but not here probiably.

Actually it has been ;) we can use the same hermeneutical logic used by YECs on Genesis 1-11 to show them that they ought to believe in transubstantiation ... that they drink the actual blood and eat the actual flesh of Christ during Holy Communion. The Bible says so very literally! :D

Upvote 0

david_x

Dec 24, 2004
Indiana
✟21,439.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
that they drink the actual blood and eat the actual flesh of Christ during Holy Communion. The Bible says so very literally!

WHAT! thats crazy! Everyone knows that that bread and wine was blessed by God! It was not "blessed" by man! Only God can truly bless!

Upvote 0

PaladinValer

Traditional Orthodox Anglican
Apr 7, 2004
Myrtle Beach, SC
✟30,305.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Of course, sacramentarians don't seem to understand what a sacrament or a sacramental are, but that is for a different thread...

Now, if you (and you know who "you" are) wish to continue your "shadowing" of my posts, by all means do so, though you may not like the consequences of it.

Upvote 0

YoungJoonKim

Dec 8, 2005
✟16,523.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I have a question based on this flood.
Back in A.D.
Many countries had religions that consisted stories of "flood"
Like in Roman, where flood has happened and a goddess have come to save Romans..
and Egypts...and so on to other middle east.
So what if this really happened and because the story was so powerful, it may have spread through whole generations of Noah, right?

Yes, actually, it is.

Like I said: learn the science.

A flood of such epic porportions always leaves evidence. That's part of geological fact.

but flood may have happened about 3000~5000 years ago from today right?
What if* the evidences are wiped out? Just wondering;;
(I believe that God can do all things..it is hard for me to accept whole idea of scientific evidence;;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

gluadys

Legend
Mar 2, 2004
Toronto
✟31,520.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
CA-NDP
YoungJoonKim said:
[/color][/size][/font]but flood may have happened about 3000~5000 years ago from today right?
What if* the evidences are wiped out? Just wondering;;

3000-5000 years is a fairly short time in geology. Evidence can easily last that long. For example, there is evidence of a major flood in the Black Sea area from about 9000 years ago which some people speculate was the original Noah's Flood.

(I believe that God can do all things..it is hard for me to accept whole idea of scientific evidence;;)

Yes, all of us here believe that God can do all things.

What do you find problematical about scientific evidence?

Upvote 0

Jadis40

Sep 19, 2004
Indiana, USA
✟47,145.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
This is an issue that I was just thinking about last night, and I don't think the Flood was global, based on continental drift and the account of the Flood in the Bible. If the flood was truly a global event (global from the 21st century viewpoint), then I don't think that can explain why there are species of animals that are unique to a certain environment. In my mind, this ties in to the whole young-earth/old-earth debate too.

Take Australia...Australia is an island, with species of animals, such as the koala, kangaroo and tazmanian devil that aren't found anywhere else on earth. If the flood truly wiped out all the life on earth, including animals, then that doesn't explain how these animals re-entered that environment - if Australia was in the position on the globe that it now currently occupies, surrounded by water. There is an excellent website here...that shows when the continents as we now know them reached their current position on the globe:

http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/geology/anim1.html

Upvote 0

david_x

Dec 24, 2004
Indiana
✟21,439.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
For example, there is evidence of a major flood in the Black Sea area from about 9000 years ago which some people speculate was the original Noah's Flood.

Can you imagine how big even that flood would have to be to cover land all the way to the Persian Gulf?

Now, if you (and you know who "you" are) wish to continue your "shadowing" of my posts, by all means do so, though you may not like the consequences of it.

What's "shadowing." (i'm pretty new)

Upvote 0

cougtpt1

Jan 5, 2006
Washington
✟15,284.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
ebia said:
Most of the bible is NOT eye witness evidence - it is at best a jounalists account of what they eye witnesses saw. Of the gospels, only St John's is plausible primarily eyewitness material - though it singularly doesn't claim to be written by an eye witness. St Paul's accounts of his experiences would be eye witness accounts. The Noah story most certainly is not - or is the Illiad also an eyewitness account.

A court of law is not qualified to determine the reliability of scientific understanding.

Whether or not the bible is eyewitness journalism or not does not matter. It is the word of God. These writtings were not just sat dwon and put together by some village idiot. These are Gods words to us. If we start to treat them like the are from a human then we start to try and figure out what might of happened instead of what the bible says. Arguing with a Guy named Paul is much easier for people then argueing with God.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.