UnKnown ReMember
Oct 3, 2016
Hyperspace
✟35,143.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The subject of Hebrew verbs match in gender and number, if the gender is feminine then the verb is feminine. If there is a mismatch then it is typically considered a grammatical error. Sometimes gender is the only way to identify the subject of the verb.

For example:

He said - אמר הוא
She said - אמרה היא
he said she gave the book to her son - אמר היא נתנה את הספר אל בנה

In the last example we know that היא (she) is the subject of נתנה (gave) because the gender matches, the pronoun הוא is unneeded (and absent) because it is implied in the verb אמר (said).

Yes, I'm familiar with this. I was asking why you proposed that ruach can be either feminine or masculine, and why it was one of "few words" that somehow changed gender. That is a grammatical concept of which I'm not familiar.

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I have never looked at their doctrine, but that would raise a RED flag.

They also talk about predestination and prexistence of the soul. But their site also takes of spiritual warfare that mirrors stories that I've read. What do you make of that?

Upvote 0

benelchi

INACTIVE
Aug 3, 2011
✟17,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yes, I'm familiar with this. I was asking why you proposed that ruach can be either feminine or masculine, and why it was one of "few words" that somehow changed gender. That is a grammatical concept of which I'm not familiar.

In Genesis 1:2 (and in other places) 'Spirit' is used as the subject of a feminine verb. In the example I provided above and in other places, it is used as the subject of a masculine verb. Very few words in Hebrew can be used with both masculine and feminine verbs. In general, if the subject is a girl, a candle stick, a mare, etc... the verb will always be feminine. If the subject is a man, a tree, a house, etc... the verb will always be masculine. Most nouns simply do not change gender. Some are interesting because the gender isn't what would be expected i.e. a 'breast' is always masculine.

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
In Genesis 1:2 (and in other places) 'Spirit' is used as the subject of a feminine verb. In the example I provided above and in other places, it is used as the subject of a masculine verb. Very few words in Hebrew can be used with both masculine and feminine verbs. In general, if the subject is a girl, a candle stick, a mare, etc... the verb will always be feminine. If the subject is a man, a tree, a house, etc... the verb will always be masculine. Most nouns simply do not change gender. Some are interesting because the gender isn't what would be expected i.e. a 'breast' is always masculine.

Prophecy 89 Secrets Of The RUACH ha KODESH (HOLY SPIRIT)

Do you believe thats a false ministry or of God?

Upvote 0

John Hyperspace

UnKnown ReMember
Oct 3, 2016
Hyperspace
✟35,143.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Right, and "fathers" is feminine plural and "mothers" is masculine plural. At any rate, I've never heard of ruach as a masculine word.

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

benelchi

INACTIVE
Aug 3, 2011
✟17,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Right, and "fathers" is feminine plural and "mothers" is masculine plural. At any rate, I've never heard of ruach as a masculine word.

Actually, "fathers' is irregular i.e. 'fathers' has the common feminine ending but is still masculine, but 'mothers,' while also irregular, has the proper feminine plural ending. Another common word with the feminine ending in both its singular and plural forms but remains masculine is 'night.' The ending usually determines the gender but there are lots of exceptions. Unlike verb forms, you cannot rely in the ending letters to determine gender, but they usually do give you a pretty good clue.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

John Hyperspace

UnKnown ReMember
Oct 3, 2016
Hyperspace
✟35,143.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Actually, "fathers' is irregular i.e. 'fathers' has the common feminine ending but is still masculine, but 'mothers,' while also irregular, has the proper feminine plural ending. Another common word with the feminine ending in both its singular and plural forms but remains masculine is 'night.' The ending usually determines the gender but there are lots of exceptions. Unlike verb forms, you cannot rely in the ending letters to determine gender, but they usually do give you a pretty good clue.

What I mean is, none of this really has any bearing on the gender of ruach. I've never heard anything about ruach being anything but feminine, and I've never heard of any word in any language that switches gender.

In other words, I'm standing by my statement that ruach is feminine. A glance at any lexicon will support the statement, and I'm not aware of any grammatical rule of "gender swapping" in any Hebrew grammar. I'm not saying you are certainly wrong; but that so far you've given no reason to think ruach can swap genders or is ever considered masculine.

Upvote 0

benelchi

INACTIVE
Aug 3, 2011
✟17,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What I mean is, none of this really has any bearing on the gender of ruach. I've never heard anything about ruach being anything but feminine, and I've never heard of any word in any language that switches gender.

There are a dozen examples, like the one I provided that demonstrate ruach being used as he subject of a masculine noun, and in Greek (which has a neuter form), it is neuter not feminine.

As far as a Hebrew lexicon is concerned, every noun is assigned a gender. The feminine gender is used more frequently with ruach so it is assigned a feminine gender, but any good OT theological dictionary will note the fact that the gender of this word is not clearly defined (it is an unusual case).

In other words, I'm standing by my statement that ruach is feminine. A glance at any lexicon will support the statement, and I'm not aware of any grammatical rule of "gender swapping" in any Hebrew grammar. I'm not saying you are certainly wrong; but that so far you've given no reason to think ruach can swap genders or is ever considered masculine.

Again, ruach is an exception. Hebrew nouns almost always have very clearly defined gender, ruach does not.

Upvote 0

John Hyperspace

UnKnown ReMember
Oct 3, 2016
Hyperspace
✟35,143.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There are a dozen examples, like the one I provided that demonstrate ruach being used as he subject of a masculine noun, and in Greek (which has a neuter form), it is neuter not feminine.

True but Greek isn't Hebrew.

Again, ruach is an exception. Hebrew nouns almost always have very clearly defined gender, ruach does not.

I understand that you're saying that. I'm looking for some kind of actual support for the statement.

Upvote 0

benelchi

INACTIVE
Aug 3, 2011
✟17,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
True but Greek isn't Hebrew.

I understand that you're saying that. I'm looking for some kind of actual support for the statement.

I checked three different Lexicons, and they all noted this feature.

BDB

8954 ] רוּחַ8955) [Hebrew) (page 924) (Strong 7307,5315,3824,1320,5315,5315,3820,3820,3820)

רוּחַ:378 noun feminine :Gn 41:8 )less oft. Masculine :Ex 10:13 +) breath, wind, spirit;—abs. ר׳: Gn 8:1 +, ר֑וּחָה Je 52:23; cstr. רוּחַ Gn 6:17 +; sf. רוּחִי v:3

Holladay

רוּחַ: )377 × esp. Is Ez Ps:) air in motion, blowing, wind, what is empty or transitory, spirit, mind; usu. feminine, but quite oft. masculine.

HALOT

Generally רוּח is fem.; only seldom is it masc., as in Ex 1013.19 Nu 1131 Is 5716 Jr 412 Ezk 2726 Ps 5112 7839 Jb 415 82 203 418 Qoh 16 319; discussed by Albrecht ZAW 16 (1896) 42-44 and Michel Grundlegung 1:76: not able to find a reason for this shift in gender.

Upvote 0