OzAdventist

Oct 11, 2016
:)
✟7,693.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I am currently reading '' Steps to Christ '' by Ellen G White and loving it !
In doing so I have come across the Spirit of Christ a lot.

My question is, is the Holy Spirit and the Spirit of Christ one and the same thing?
Is the Spirit of Christ a separate ''person'' to Christ or just his Spirit, force?
I have noticed that the language used by Sister White when talking about the Spirit of Christ and the Godhead is very articulate and worded very carefully. I have my own thoughts on the matter however I am interested in knowing how others view it.

May the Lords peace and blessings be upon you
OzAdventist

OzAdventist

Oct 11, 2016
✟7,693.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
When Jesus gave the disciple the holy spirit, did he call and invite another person or did he simply breath onto them?

that is my question

Is the Holy Spirit which is also called the Spirit of Jesus a separate ''person'' to Jesus Christ?

They have ONE God and ONE Saviour; and ONE Spirit--the Spirit of Christ” — (Ellen G. White, 9T 189.3, 1909)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My question is, is the Holy Spirit and the Spirit of Christ one and the same thing?
Is the Spirit of Christ a separate ''person'' to Christ or just his Spirit, force?
Good question. There really is no easy answer on that.

In many places in scripture God is described as "one."

Zech 14.9 And the Lord will be king over all the earth; in that day the Lord will be one, and His name one.

But then in John 17 Our Lord says that He and the Father are one. Matthew gives us the formula of Father Son and Holy Spirit. And in the opening passages of Revelation we hear of the "seven spirits" of God. (hearkening back to Isa 11.2)

So we have "one," "three," and "seven." We really do NOT KNOW how all of that works, and I believe that is by Divine design. We are not supposed to understand it.

Like Paul wrote in 1 Cor 13, "... we see thru a glass dimly."

Upvote 0

overcomer

AKA 'OntheDL'
Mar 25, 2004
✟13,696.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
that is my question

Is the Holy Spirit which is also called the Spirit of Jesus a separate ''person'' to Jesus Christ?

They have ONE God and ONE Saviour; and ONE Spirit--the Spirit of Christ” — (Ellen G. White, 9T 189.3, 1909)

The way that is understood through the Athanasian Creed is a mystery that no one can comprehend.

The bible speaks about mysteries. This is not one of them.

This is the fundamental conflict between Catholicism and biblical Christianity. If the spirit is a separate person (from Jesus) then who is this person that comforts, helps, intercedes but didn't suffer our affliction and didn't die for us?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

overcomer

AKA 'OntheDL'
Mar 25, 2004
✟13,696.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
that is my question

If I may preface by saying Ellen White's writings should not be the basis of any doctrine. I believe she was a messenger of God. So she could not have written about any doctrine that is not taught by the bible or is taught differently by the bible.

With that said, here're a few more quotes from Ellen White on the spirit of Christ.

In 1891, brother Chapman wrote to Ellen White complaining about the brethren did not allow him to preach because he had a 'new light' that 'holy ghost is the not the spirit of God, which is Christ (the belief of Adventist pioneers), but the angel Gabriel.' 14 MR p175.

Sis. White wrote this back to him:

"Your ideas of... do not harmonize with the light which God has given me. ... It is not essential for you to know and be able to define just what the Holy Spirit is. Christ tells us that the Holy Spirit is the Comforter, and the Comforter is the Holy Ghost, “the Spirit of truth, which the Father shall send in My name.” “I will pray the Father, and He shall give you another Comforter, that He may abide with you for ever; even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth Him not, neither knoweth Him: but ye know Him, for He dwelleth with you, and shall be in you” [John 14:16, 17]. This refers to the omnipresence of the Spirit of Christ, called the Comforter. ...I hope that you will seek to be in harmony with the body. I have been shown that you would not exert a saving influence in teaching the truth, because your mind is restless, and unless you drank deeper of the Fountain of life, you would make the mistake that many others have made, of thinking that you have new light, when it is only a new phase of error. {14MR 180.1} Now, my brother, it is truth that we want and must have, but do not introduce error as new truth. I would be glad to write further on this point, but must drop the subject now. God wants us to be a unit.—Letter 7, 1891.{14MR 180.4}

It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing; the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life."Christ is not here referring to his doctrine, but to his person, the divinity of his character.” {E. G. White, Review and Herald, April 5, 1906 par. 12}

“The Holy Spirit, which proceeds from the only begotten Son of God, binds the human agent, body, soul, and spirit, to the perfect, divine-human nature of Christ.” {E. G. White, Review and Herald, April 5, 1906 par. 16}

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
“The Holy Spirit, which proceeds from the only begotten Son of God, binds the human agent, body, soul, and spirit, to the perfect, divine-human nature of Christ.” {E. G. White, Review and Herald, April 5, 1906 par. 16}
I would think this is actually biblically incorrect, and was a factor in the split between the Catholic and Orthodox churches. The Holy Spirit does NOT proceed from the Son, but from the Father:

John 15:26 When the Helper comes, whom I will send to you from the Father, that is the Spirit of truth who proceeds from the Father, He will testify about Me,

If you take the "...I will send..." as "proceeding from the Son," you make the same mistake the Catholics did. It is not supported by a strict reading of the text.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

overcomer

AKA 'OntheDL'
Mar 25, 2004
✟13,696.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I would think this is actually biblically incorrect, and was a factor in the split between the Catholic and Orthodox churches. The Holy Spirit does NOT proceed from the Son, but from the Father:

John 15:26 When the Helper comes, whom I will send to you from the Father, that is the Spirit of truth who proceeds from the Father, He will testify about Me,

If you take the "...I will send..." as "proceeding from the Son," you make the same mistake the Catholics did. It is not supported by a strict reading of the text.

Yeah, spirit proceeds from the Father and the Father gave all things to the Son. And the Son took to give. Not incorrect to say spirit proceeds from Christ.

Roman 8:9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

Galatians 4:6 And because ye are sons, God hath sent forth the Spirit of his Son into your hearts, crying, Abba, Father.

Upvote 0

OzAdventist

Oct 11, 2016
✟7,693.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
This post is ONLY for Adventists and I am in no way promoting the attached website.

With regards to my question about the Holy Spirit and the Spirit of Christ and whether or not the Spirit is or is not a separate ''person'' to Jesus Christ, how do Adventists view the information on this website http://www.trinitytruth.org/ ?

God bless

OzAdventist

Upvote 0

overcomer

AKA 'OntheDL'
Mar 25, 2004
✟13,696.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
This post is ONLY for Adventists and I am in no way promoting the attached website.

With regards to my question about the Holy Spirit and the Spirit of Christ and whether or not the Spirit is or is not a separate ''person'' to Jesus Christ, how do Adventists view the information on this website http://www.trinitytruth.org/ ?

God bless

OzAdventist

I have seen that site. I didn't read everything(there is a lot of material), but from what I have seen so far, it makes solid and profound arguments against Trinity. The pro-trinity Adventists will give you a different take. But lets face it, trinity is the central mystery of the Catholic that is rooted in sun worship. No where in the bible gives the 1-in-3, 3-n-1 support. And Adventists should know better. Throughout the bible, we see when a king makes a law, not even himself can violate it. Yet I'm supposed to believe God is 1+1+1=1 not 3. He violates the law of mathematics. It's just foolishness.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yet I'm supposed to believe God is 1+1+1=1 not 3. He violates the law of mathematics. It's just foolishness.
Is that any different than saying that when God joins a husband and wife "they are no longer 2 but one flesh?"

Mark 10:8 and the two shall become one flesh; so they are no longer two, but one flesh.

It is rooted in the Hebrew word echad, used in Deut 6.4 to speak of God's unity (the "shema") and also in Gen 2.24 as quoted in the above Mark passage.

Clearly as used in Genesis and Mark, 1 + 1 = 1. And yet we still see two.

Welcome to the world of biblical logic. (not Greek pagan logic on which math is based) AKA Hebrew Block Logic or Adductive logic.

God transcends time, logic, math; all of it.

Upvote 0

overcomer

AKA 'OntheDL'
Mar 25, 2004
✟13,696.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Is that any different than saying that when God joins a husband and wife "they are no longer 2 but one flesh?"

Mark 10:8 and the two shall become one flesh; so they are no longer two, but one flesh.

It is rooted in the Hebrew word echad, used in Deut 6.4 to speak of God's unity (the "shema") and also in Gen 2.24 as quoted in the above Mark passage.

Clearly as used in Genesis and Mark, 1 + 1 = 1. And yet we still see two.

Welcome to the world of biblical logic. (not Greek pagan logic on which math is based) AKA Hebrew Block Logic or Adductive logic.

God transcends time, logic, math; all of it.

Two flesh become one are still two human beings, not one human being. Doesn't prove trinity.

The Hebrews never worshipped a trinity. So much for the root or any logic in Hebrew word echad.

In Mark 12, Jesus quoted Deut 6:4 now in Greek confirming what was written and confirming God is singular 'he' and 'him'.

29 And Jesus answered him, The first of all the commandments is, Hear, O Israel; The Lord our God is one Lord: 30 And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment…32 And the scribe said unto him, Well, Master, thou hast said the truth: for there is one God; and there is none other but he: 33 And to love him with all the heart, and with all the understanding, and with all the soul, and with all the strength, and to love his neighbour as himself, is more than all whole burnt offerings and sacrifices.

Upon hearing the scribe’s answer, Jesus commended him on speaking the truth.

34 And when Jesus saw that he answered discreetly, he said unto him, Thou art not far from the kingdom of God. And no man after that durst ask him any question.

And what Jesus said to the Father.
John 17:3 And this is life eternal, that they might know thee, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.

You would think Jesus' own words should be enough to settle the matter.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The Hebrews never worshipped a trinity. So much for the root or any logic in Hebrew word echad.
Think again. You are dismissing this to flippantly.

Try looking at the 7th chapter of Daniel.

And then look at the Shema (Deut 6.4) in the Hebrew:

Shema Yisrael YHVH Elohenu YHVH echad.

In rough terms it says "Hear Israel GOD GOD GOD one." three in one.

Upvote 0

OzAdventist

Oct 11, 2016
✟7,693.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

“Hear, O Israel: God is our Lord, God is one.”

Upvote 0

OzAdventist

Oct 11, 2016
✟7,693.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I have seen that site. I didn't read everything(there is a lot of material), but from what I have seen so far, it makes solid and profound arguments against Trinity. The pro-trinity Adventists will give you a different take. But lets face it, trinity is the central mystery of the Catholic that is rooted in sun worship. No where in the bible gives the 1-in-3, 3-n-1 support. And Adventists should know better. Throughout the bible, we see when a king makes a law, not even himself can violate it. Yet I'm supposed to believe God is 1+1+1=1 not 3. He violates the law of mathematics. It's just foolishness.

What is your view on the matter?

message me if you don't want to post it here

Upvote 0

overcomer

AKA 'OntheDL'
Mar 25, 2004
✟13,696.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

What about Daniel 7?

You have not shown any evidence of Hebrew words were in this order. You are also dismissing the words of Jesus in Mark 12:29 recorded in Greek: Lord God is one God. Actually 'echad' also means 'only, alone'. So the better translation should have been Lord God is the only God.

You are also dismissing the fact Jesus commended the scribe for speaking the truth: 'for there is one God; and there is none other but he: And to love him with all the heart...'

Not to mention countless other quotes from Jesus, Paul, Peter that the Father is the only true God.

Upvote 0