ElxDalto

Aug 4, 2016
Texas
✟8,548.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Gosh, I've got into some heated arguments over this subject. I believe that our conscience represents the soul, but others say otherwise. I think its all a cop out to keep assuming that there isn't life after death. I say thats ludicrous.

Reactions: Satanist.
A
Aaron112
The proof of the soul may by realized only by the Creator's Grace and His Word. Most of the world opposes Him, and lives in the dark, unknowing.
Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟436,576.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Gosh, I've got into some heated arguments over this subject. I believe that our conscience represents the soul, but others say otherwise. I think its all a cop out to keep assuming that there isn't life after death. I say thats ludicrous.

You believe that a persons conscience is the soul? Or just that it represents the soul in some way? I'm just asking you to clarify because I think it will help the thread if everyone understands what you mean...

As for myself, I have no belief that a soul exists. That's because of the total lack of evidence...not some "cop out"...as you liked to word it.

Personally, I believe that the idea of a soul is a rather primitive way of trying to understand what makes each person unique/different from everyone else. This concept got tied into the notion of an afterlife for obvious reasons...if people already believed in a soul, telling them that their soul will live on in another place is a direct appeal to their wants and desires. The fear of mortality/death is a very common aspect of humanity and most people don't want to believe that after this life is over, a person is gone from existence forever.

It's perhaps the ugliest truth...so much so that most people are in denial of it.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Why do you think so? In what ways do you think it differs?
The conscience is a function of brain activity. The soul, as most people understand the word, is a shadow self, an incorporeal self, that we believe survives physical death.

Reactions: Natto
Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟436,576.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
The conscience is a function of brain activity. The soul, as most people understand the word, is a shadow self, an incorporeal self, that we believe survives physical death.

Could you explain anything else about the "soul"? I'll understand if you can't, it's just that your description doesn't explain much...

Reactions: DogmaHunter
Upvote 0

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I believe in Reason and Logic.

Therefore I have to believe in the 'soul'. For if all our thoughts and reasoning were merely the product of brain physiology, than there is no reason to trust that one thing is more reasonable than any other. We would consider it so, merely because my brain chemistry happened at that moment in time to be a specific way. If it were different, than something entirely different may have been reasonable. To believe I can make deductions and logical conclusions, that are truly thus, is to believe that something more than mere physiology is at play.

Does this mean the soul is this something? Maybe, it certainly is the best candidate for it. It doesn't mean the soul is consciousness however, or not tied to the body, but these are other matters entirely.

Human Reason simply cannot come from unreason, solely from naturalistic processes, without losing all its credentials to be called Reason. Because I believe that I can make logical conclusions, that B follows from A necessarily and not because my brain happened to be wired in a certain way, I am forced to conclude the existence of a supernatural component to the Self. I may be wrong, but if I am then it wouldn't matter, as no argument anyone ever made would mean anything anyway. For human action and free will would anyway be meaningless, just a relentless march of chemical processes outside our control, as our 'decisions' would merely follow the way the brain physiology happened to line up.

Upvote 0

CrystalDragon

Apr 28, 2016
US
✟56,251.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

I think they actually mean "consciousness", not "conscience".

Reactions: Eudaimonist
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ElxDalto

Aug 4, 2016
Texas
✟8,548.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
That's because of the total lack of evidence...not some "cop out"...as you liked to word it.

Since you're an atheist, you don't grasp the concept of anything besides the natural world. God is supernatural, He created the laws that govern this life. Just because the evidence shows there isn't a soul, doesn't mean squat. There's many things we don't know even though we have evidence to show we know. This is arrogance to think we know 100% of something when all we have is evidence of the known, there is still the unknown.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Could you explain anything else about the "soul"? I'll understand if you can't, it's just that your description doesn't explain much...
Ana, I am not sure I can add much. The soul is usually thought of as a parallel self, but spirit. Conscience is something generated by our thought processes, so that's part of our physical nature.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TillICollapse

Dec 12, 2013
✟14,082.00
Marital Status
Single
Since you're an atheist, you don't grasp the concept of anything besides the natural world. God is supernatural, He created the laws that govern this life. Just because the evidence shows there isn't a soul, doesn't mean squat. There's many things we don't know even though we have evidence to show we know. This is arrogance to think we know 100% of something when all we have is evidence of the known, there is still the unknown.
Just wanted to point out, that being an atheist, doesn't necessitate that a person doesn't believe in a soul, supernatural things, etc.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Ok, not that we have established that, do you have any credible evidence?

Reactions: Ana the Ist
Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Who here is claiming we know 100% of something?

Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
You're free to think and believe what you like. There's no proof of souls, though.

Upvote 0