wayseer

Jun 10, 2008
Maryborough, QLD, Australia
✟11,131.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I had not seriously considered this issue until reading Timothy Radcliffe's What's the point of being a Christian.

Radcliffe talks about the being 'delighted'. It is not until we, as Christians, recognise that God delights in us that we can begin to understand the majesty of the Kingdom. The Church has nothing to say at all until people know that God rejoices in their very existence, which is why they exist at all (p 59).

But Radcliffe cautions Delight is not the same as approval ... approval implies patronage(p 61). Patronage is what we, as humans, do rather well - too well. We 'play' to others - our families, our church, our work mates. It is in this 'play' that we create the world of deceit - we illicit the approval of others. The Trinity is not a mutual admiration society.

However, Facebook, Twitter etc are the cyberspace mechanisms of global approval. They are the spaces were mutual admiration can reach pandemic proportions - where patronage knows no bounds except the cult of the 'approved'. It is the ultimate place where we can play our games, adopt roles and put on masks - where we really can hide from ourselves, each other and God.

But seeking approval has more mundane qualities in the easy friendship which we look to see the 'nod of approval'.

But Christ's death demands that we come out into the open where we can be seen - where we are carried beyond the seduction of approval. Jesus was not about seeking the approval of the Pharisees. Jesus was not about seeking approval of the masses. Jesus was delighted in doing his Father's wishes. His delight was that 'he and the Father are one' - there was nothing hidden.

I had not considered as much until confronted with Radcliffe's words. Seeking approval is a sin because the very act is one of subterfuge - it is patronizing God and in so doing we are hiding from God and if we are hiding we are separating ourselves from the Kingdom. We don't need to seek approval from God or anyone else. What we need is to experience the joy that God delights in us.

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I had not seriously considered this issue until reading Timothy Radcliffe's What's the point of being a Christian.

Radcliffe talks about the being 'delighted'. It is not until we, as Christians, recognise that God delights in us that we can begin to understand the majesty of the Kingdom. The Church has nothing to say at all until people know that God rejoices in their very existence, which is why they exist at all (p 59).

But Radcliffe cautions Delight is not the same as approval ... approval implies patronage(p 61). Patronage is what we, as humans, do rather well - too well. We 'play' to others - our families, our church, our work mates. It is in this 'play' that we create the world of deceit - we illicit the approval of others. The Trinity is not a mutual admiration society.

However, Facebook, Twitter etc are the cyberspace mechanisms of global approval. They are the spaces were mutual admiration can reach pandemic proportions - where patronage knows no bounds except the cult of the 'approved'. It is the ultimate place where we can play our games, adopt roles and put on masks - where we really can hide from ourselves, each other and God.

But seeking approval has more mundane qualities in the easy friendship which we look to see the 'nod of approval'.

But Christ's death demands that we come out into the open where we can be seen - where we are carried beyond the seduction of approval. Jesus was not about seeking the approval of the Pharisees. Jesus was not about seeking approval of the masses. Jesus was delighted in doing his Father's wishes. His delight was that 'he and the Father are one' - there was nothing hidden.

I had not considered as much until confronted with Radcliffe's words. Seeking approval is a sin because the very act is one of subterfuge - it is patronizing God and in so doing we are hiding from God and if we are hiding we are separating ourselves from the Kingdom. We don't need to seek approval from God or anyone else. What we need is to experience the joy that God delights in us.

yes, God "delighting" in us, and we in Him, is what it's all about, isn't it? I'm going to check out the book. It hit on something I've been meditating on..."approval" of man and how subtle, and deadly it is.

Upvote 0

MrPolo

Woe those who call evil good + good evil. Is 5:20
Jul 29, 2007
Visit site
✟17,196.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
But Christ's death demands that we come out into the open where we can be seen - where we are carried beyond the seduction of approval.

I think this theology is reflected at the Sermon on the Mount when Jesus said what good is your love if you only love those who love you?

Upvote 0

BobW188

Growling Maverick
Jul 19, 2008
Southern Minnesota
✟10,103.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I'm struggling with this conclusory statement that "approval implies patronage." So if I, as a student, put in a lot of effort and max out a test or a term paper, I've committed a sin? Or the fact that people approve (which is putting it mildly) of the way Captain Sullenberger set that airliner down in the Hudson River, he's a sinner?

Certainly we can set up the approval of others as an idol and sin in the process of seeking it; and certainly we need to keep first and foremost that God's love is more than approval, (though "Well done, thou good and faithful servant" implies that it will one day include approval), but saying that "All approval implies patronage" is right up there with saying "All eating implies gluttony" or "All sex implies rape."

But, let it be said, you reach some very good conclusions from a very faulty premise.

Upvote 0

Arch Emerging

Jul 7, 2009
✟601.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

we? or you? :idea:

Upvote 0

wayseer

Jun 10, 2008
Maryborough, QLD, Australia
✟11,131.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
So if I, as a student, put in a lot of effort and max out a test or a term paper, I've committed a sin? Or the fact that people approve (which is putting it mildly) of the way Captain Sullenberger set that airliner down in the Hudson River, he's a sinner?

Hardly. Sitting an exam is not seeking approval - its about gaining an education. Capt. Sullenberger was not seeking approval - he was trying to avoid getting killed. Don't confuse the issue. Neither of your examples has anything to do with the subject matter of the OP.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.