Visit site
✟53,618.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
So how many have read the shack? For those who don't know, it's about a guy who is camping and his daughter gets taken. Then he receives a letter from God inviting him back to where she was taken.

It is a hugely popular book. While reading reviews, some seem to take issue with the fact that God the Father is an African woman, which I found amazing. I think the theology in the book is wrong, but God as a woman got me thinking. The book says God appears as a woman to rock the religiosity of Mack. The way the trinity is displayed is also unique, but the issue of sin and forgiveness is missing, along with repentance. These to me are critical issues, and Jesus called it the message of the Kingdom.

Thoughts?

Dec 18, 2003
✟11,355.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
One of my all time favorite modern books that I have read is Howard Storm's testimony called "My decent into death" a second chance at life. It is a little unorthodox, but I love it. It is absolutely beautiful and gives tremendous hope in the perspective of this life and the next.

I have never read the book you are talking about...maybe a little far out for my taste, but I am sure it has really good aspects from what you describe.

In short...I say take the good and leave behind what you don't feel is relevant.

Upvote 0

KleinerApfel

When I awake I am still with You
Mar 4, 2004
Somewhere
✟35,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Shack is a wonderful book!

It isn't meant to be theology, it's an allegorical presentation of what it means to really begin to know God heart to heart.

Having said that, I don't believe the theology is wrong anyway, just presented in an unusual manner that causes us to challenge our beliefs and where we really found them.

It also reaches through the barriers of brittle pain that many religiously brought up people have erected egainst the God they were told was unapproachably angry.

As for the issue of forgiveness, it's a very important part of the story, I think you need to re-read it if you missed that. ;)

Upvote 0

hopeinGod

A voice crying in the wilderness
Jul 26, 2004
Florida
Visit site
✟2,700.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I read the book and wrote a review for pomomusings.com. Initially, I didn't like it. It had to grow on me. Although there are more supportive reviews by people who read it, there are also readers who have written scathing criticisms on the book due to it's fantasy and lack of Biblical accuracy.

It's not supposed to be Biblically accurate -- it's a fantasy. Duh!!! But, it did take some time for me to begin enjoying the storyline because I thought God took too long in answering the real cries of the father's heart. The man wanted to know what happened to his little girl, not to be slowly introduced to the "Trinity." He needed answers, which did finally come, but not in my timing.

Here are many reviews: http://pomomusings.com/2007/09/03/the-shack-a-review/

Dave

Last edited:
Upvote 0

hopeinGod

A voice crying in the wilderness
Jul 26, 2004
Florida
Visit site
✟2,700.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Here is my first review, which I edited after completing the book.....

I was encouraged to read the “The Shack” by a Christian brother from the website called the “The Band of Brothers” after I wrote him describing some of the frustrations I’ve been having in my walk with the Lord. For me, most of my hard times are due to health issues. I was hoping to find a few answers within this book that would speak directly to me, because it was very highly touted by my web friend.

Unfortunately, after ending the 8th of 15 chapters, I must admit I am disappointed, not so much because my questions aren’t being answered, but because of the track the book has taken.

I’m not a reader of fantasy, which with such a person, this book would more likely find a home. It’s far too fantastical for me to believe that the Holy Trinity would manifest in the likes of those who represent the Father, Son and Holy Spirit, and that they would express themselves as they do in this novel.

Also, it is a major overstatement for one to equate this book with the quality of a Christian classic. Perhaps, if I was to spend additional time focussing on the philosophical meanings of each encounter and activity, the story would make better sense. I don’t have the time to do that.

What I find to be the most frustrating element is the lack of immediacy in addressing Mack’s needs. Since God is “an ever present help in time of trouble,” I am obliged to believe that He is quick to reply to our fervent prayers. Instead, in this book, the Trinity seems to dance around Mack’s yearnings for answers, assisting in making his stay less demanding, but never really speaking directly and profoundly to his hurts and deep sense of loss.

I will probably finish this book, but I’m not anticipating a major revelation of God’s nature or heart.
Dave

Upvote 0
G

graceNmercy

I thought the book did an excellant job of explaining God's forgiveness and the difference between law and grace. In fact, the courtroom scene was my favorite as it explained what forgiveness really means.

Anyone who reads the book who is holding onto any unforgiveness that they feel justified in holding, will hate this book. With a passion. :cool:

Sue is right. This book isn't meant to be a guide to doctrine, but a simple means of challenging our religiousity and idolized unforgiveness. My spouse read it just this week. A prevoius critical judgment of the book had to shelved after the last page was turned.

I think it's a must read fiction book for anyone who has unforgiveness holed up in their heart.

Reactions: KleinerApfel
Upvote 0

christianmomof3

pursuing Christ
Apr 12, 2005
in Christ
✟25,915.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Some of the things that I really enjoy include:
The explanation of the New Jerusalem on p. 177 where he says that our final destiny is not "heaven with pearly gates", but that the new heavens and new earth will be a new cleansing of the univers and that the New Jerusalem is the Church, the bride - individuals who together form a spiritual city.
I also like on p 179 where he rejects religion and innstitutions and on p. 203 where he explains that the purpose of the law was to show us that we needed Christ and that to try to keep the law is being independant and is a vain attempt to create certainty out of uncertainty (p. 202-203).

Upvote 0

Svt4Him

Legend
Site Supporter
Oct 23, 2003
Visit site
✟53,618.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I too liked the book, but there are some major things I have an issue with. Rejecting the church is one of them, but the whole message of love leans towards universalism in the book. In all the salvation message in it, the only thing said is God loves you, that's enough.

Not meant to be a theological book, I'm aware of that. But if you read the introduction and you read some introductions, it seems to be a bit more theological than perhaps a straight out fiction. Some even thought the book was true.

Upvote 0

JimB

Legend
Jul 12, 2004
Nacogdoches, Texas
Visit site
✟34,757.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Well, I usually do not read fiction, but when my wife told me that Donnie Swaggart (rip-snorting son of Jimmy) said over the radio that he didn’t like it, it instantly piqued my interest.

If the Swaggart’s don’t like it, I figured, it can’t be all bad.

Of course, Donnie admitted that hasn’t read the book (I sometimes wonder if he has read anything … but that’s another subject) , but, sight unseen, he didn’t like it anyway. (Don’t you just love how Christian radio and TV feeds us?)

Anyhow, I got the unabridged book on CD and have just finished listening to it. I have to admit that it is enthralling and while the author presents his case in a readable allegorical manner, he does present a theology that has caused me to think of God and the purpose of human suffering in a different and more beneficial way.

I like the book.

And I actually read (i.e., listened to) it.

~Anita Valium
War never decides who is right, only who is left.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jeolmstead

-That’s me in the corner, losing my religion
Apr 27, 2006
Memphis, TN USA
✟22,092.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I thought it was great….

Personally I found no problem at all with the theology represented in the book. Although I can understand why it would strike a nerve with those who have bought into the hierarchal machine and law based works prevalent in a lot of churches

John O.

Upvote 0

Tamara224

Jan 13, 2006
Wyoming
✟40,734.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I loved it. It has changed the way I look at many things.

It was a challenge. When it introduced God the Father as a big black woman I about fell out of my chair. I was like "this better be going somewhere good." :D

I would not recommend this book for a new believer. I think it is meant to be read by those who are well-indoctrinated in churchianity and who have unknowingly, unwittingly, adopted man-made traditions and built up a false image of God in their heads.

The book is intensely thought-provoking... it shakes you out of your comfort zone, out of the ideology and mindsets you're used to.

There are a couple of things in it that I'm not sure I agree with... and it's a matter of not so much disagreeing just not quite agreeing, if that makes any sense. Overall, I think the theology is sound.

I think that this book is too much of a challenge for people entrenched in legalism and "I-am-rightism" and those people will react with hostility to it. But to anyone open to being corrected, this book may not change everything they think... but it will get them thinking, pondering and reevaluating. Which I think is a very good thing.

Upvote 0

whatfor

Just me
Dec 15, 2006
Adelaide, Australia
✟102,417.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I enjoyed it too.

I was unsure why I bought it, I don't read fictional books normally.
I was drawn to it for some reason.

As a newish Christian , I had to make sure I kept the view that it was just a story.
I got alot out of it and was even in tears a few times, although I wasn't sure why.

Would definately recomend it.

Upvote 0

gratefulgrace

Contributor
Jul 26, 2006
British Columbia
✟32,492.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
One thing I will say about the Shack is it gets people thinking. Even those who don't like it. I do not think it would be the best first book to give a NON CHRISTIAN though. Many say it doesn't preach repentance and salvation in the orthodox way. I kind of figured that the point of the story was to restore the hope in the Christian dad who felt cut off from God due to the tragedy in his life. As a person who has gone through really hard stuff (nothing that hard mind you) I know how my thoughts headed toward feeling abandoned and forgotten by God. There was never a question of not being saved. My relationship with my creator/saviour had just faltered and lost intimacy due to the attack I had to go through and the wounding that reasulted. Remember he had a very poor example of God's love in his own father's rigid unloving behaviour touted as Christianity and that is why God was portrayed like a woman. It broke down his defenses. I think the key message of the Shack for me was that God understands frail humanity will move heaven and earth to restore us to full relationship and that he loves us unconditionally. And yes I think it is an allegory/fantasy depiction of the authors own spiritual struggles written in a way we can all appropriate for ourselves.

Upvote 0

Redheadedstepchild

Child of God
Site Supporter
Jun 3, 2007
2 weeks from everywhere
✟69,214.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Politics
US-Others
What I find interesting is that The Shack seems to be getting attention in the secular world (it's currently #1 on the NY Times list of top fiction paperbacks - and has been on the list 28 weeks). So, the liklihood is that both non-Christians and fallen-away Christians will read it. I tend to think this is a good thing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JimB

Legend
Jul 12, 2004
Nacogdoches, Texas
Visit site
✟34,757.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I keep reading in this thread that The Shack would be a bad book for “new Christians” to read? But I wonder. :scratch:

Granted, William Young (author) presents God, the Trinity, and the Church in a unique light but I have noticed that most of the criticism of the book is coming from religious “leaders” who have a stranglehold on modern Christians because of their positions. Many of these “leaders” have made the church a platform for power and have continued to lead Christians down the road of bondage to legalism and control. The popularity of Young’s views is a threat to this kind of power base and I can see where Young’s view of the modern church as the place where truth has gotten twisted would be offensive to them and they would resist it. The truth really might set people free.

And, maybe, this would not be a bad thing for young Christians to know right from the start. Why wait until they are enmeshed in religiosity before they are warned about the pitfalls?

~Anne Teak

One advantage of talking to yourself is that you know at least somebody is listening.

Upvote 0

KleinerApfel

When I awake I am still with You
Mar 4, 2004
Somewhere
✟35,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And, maybe, this would not be a bad thing for young Christians to know right from the start. Why wait until they are enmeshed in religiosity before they are warned about the pitfalls?

I think that's right Jim.

And anyway, I think many brand new Christians already have a religious understanding of God anyway, something they got glimpses of from all kinds of places before their conversion, and which they now bring with them into their new faith. It can take years to even question that, because it's intertwined with our up-bringing and education, with or without specifically "church" teachings added.

The "world in general" is often very suspicious of God, thinking He's to be feared, best avoided, a hard taskmaster etc.

That picture was certainly portrayed at my school from the various teachers who were most likely forced to "take their turn" at leading a "Christian" assembly.
Those poor souls were mostly not Christians, and not many of them church-goers. With hindsight, it looks to me that their material was just a morality tool to get kids to "be good."

I loved The Shack, and I would think most people would enjoy talking about it, even if they hate it, so as an opening for conversations about God it is a gift.

Upvote 0

zaksmummy

Jul 6, 2007
Chesterfield
✟10,866.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
He needed answers, which did finally come, but not in my timing.

I have never even heard of this book, but this comment, I think is the most interesting in this discussion - I understand that this book is fiction but - how very much like God to do things in his own time, and not when we perceive he should.:)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.