Country
Austria
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Hi

Some of you maybe already know, the Septuagint is also available in English:
New Revised Standard Version/ with the Apocrypha, also called the Catholic Edition of the NRSV.
It is a good and easy to read translation (also for non native speakers of English.
I also have it home as a book (NRSV:CE) and checked it with my translation of the septuagint into German - except the Odes of Solomon and the Psalms of Solomon, everything is in it.

So for anyone intersted in the bible Jesus and the apostles knew (like me), I can recommend this book.

-Esdra

Last edited:

Cappadocious

Sep 29, 2012
✟30,661.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Some of you maybe already know, the Septuagint is also available in English:
New Revised Standard Version/ with the Apocrypha, also called the Catholic Edition of the NRSV.
This contains the extra books commonly included in the Septuagint, but I don't believe that the NRSV translates the protocanonical Old Testament books (Tanakh) from the Septuagint.

Upvote 0

cyberlizard

the electric lizard returns
Jul 5, 2007
chesterfield, UK
Visit site
✟25,065.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
the good thing I like about the NETS are its notes. If you haven't already downloaded it I encourage people to do so.

Steve

p.s. it is an up to date translation and so benefits from recent research unlike Brentons which is quite old.

Upvote 0

yeshuasavedme

Senior Veteran
May 31, 2004
✟97,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
http://orthodoxengland.org.uk/pdf/ot/psalms.pdf

Old is better, when it comes to the facts of what is actually written in the original, before modern man decided that God's Word is subject to their own made up myths -like that myth of the earth going round the sun and the myth of what the sun is, which the original Hebrew -and many translations after it, state clearly that: "in the sun, He hath set His tabernacle/dwelling place":
Psalm 18:

The heavens declare the glory of God, and the firmament sheweth His

handiwork.
Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night
sheweth knowledge.
There are no tongues nor words where their voices
are not heard.
Their sound is gone out into all the earth, and their word
to the ends of the world.
He hath set His tabernacle in the sun, and as
a bridegroom coming out of his chamber, he [the sun] hath rejoiced as a
giant to run his course.
His going forth [the sun goes forth] is from the end of heaven, and his goal
is unto the end of heaven; and there is none that shall hide himself from
the heat thereof.
The law of the Lord is perfect, converting souls; the
testimony of the Lord is sure, making wise the infants.
Nevertheless; none of them translate Hebrew into exactly what the original says, because of unbelief in the Word, having trusted in men of "science so called"; like in Isaiah 18:4, in context to all the corroborating Scriptures to the tabernacle of God being set in the sun, to which He withdraws and considers from His dwelling place, "the dazzling hot sun", in that verse, and from where He sits in that circle [the sun circles the earth, says the Word] and looks down on man "like grasshoppers on the earth", from that dwelling place/tabernacle in the sun which circles the earth, in the circling heavens of the earth:):, where He set up the heavens as a chamber to dwell in...
Isa 40:22 It is he that sitteth upon the circle of the earth, and the inhabitants thereof are as grasshoppers; ...

Upvote 0

SummaScriptura

Forever Newbie
May 30, 2007
Scam Francisco
Visit site
✟49,219.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
the good thing I like about the NETS are its notes. If you haven't already downloaded it I encourage people to do so.

Steve

p.s. it is an up to date translation and so benefits from recent research unlike Brentons which is quite old.
agreed.

I've used it in conjunction with regular Bible reading since 2007.

Questions to anyone satisfied with not using the deuteros:
1. Can you tell me why God allowed Josiah to die in battle?
2. Can you tell me why David did not punish Amnon for raping Tamar?

Both answers are missing from Bibles which derive from the Masoretic text. Both answers are found in the Septuagint however. Those are just for starters... there's a lot more.

Reactions: cyberlizard
Upvote 0

SummaScriptura

Forever Newbie
May 30, 2007
Scam Francisco
Visit site
✟49,219.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
This contains the extra books commonly included in the Septuagint, but I don't believe that the NRSV translates the protocanonical Old Testament books (Tanakh) from the Septuagint.
Correct.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SummaScriptura

Forever Newbie
May 30, 2007
Scam Francisco
Visit site
✟49,219.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
So...

How long do you s'pose it will be until we get these:

1. New English Translation of the Peshitto
2. New English Translation of the Broader Ethiopic

Hmmm?

Those are two ancient Jewish-Christian traditions which preserve valid perspectives on the Biblical source documents, most epsecially the O.T.

Upvote 0
T

Thekla

So...

How long do you s'pose it will be until we get these:

1. New English Translation of the Peshitto
2. New English Translation of the Broader Ethiopic

Hmmm?

Those are two ancient Jewish-Christian traditions which preserve valid perspectives on the Biblical source documents, most epsecially the O.T.

Our youngest son is eager to learn Amharic ... and of course I mentioned this might mean he could read the longest Biblical canon (as it seems translation into English is long in coming).

Upvote 0

SummaScriptura

Forever Newbie
May 30, 2007
Scam Francisco
Visit site
✟49,219.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Our youngest son is eager to learn Amharic ... and of course I mentioned this might mean he could read the longest Biblical canon (as it seems translation into English is long in coming).
But the texts of the Ehtiopic are in Geez, another dead language... :)

Upvote 0

SummaScriptura

Forever Newbie
May 30, 2007
Scam Francisco
Visit site
✟49,219.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I don't know why anyone would want an English translation of a Greek translation of the Hebrew/Aramaic. Why not translate directly from the Hebrew and Aramaic.

I understand your puzzling about this. Here's the important thing to remember:

The process of translation was NOT like this:
1. Hebrew type A> Modern English Translations

2. Hebrew type A> Greek type A> Modern English Translations

It was MORE LIKE this:
1. ...> > Hebrew type C > Hebrew type C2
> Hebrew type C14 > Hebrew type C14.002 > Modern English Translations

2. ...> > Hebrew type E > Greek type E1
> Greek type D22 > Modern English Translations

I agree, it would NOT make sense if it were just a matter of inserting a Greek step between the Hebrew and the Modern English Translations. It was more complex though.

This is why when Jesus read from Isaiah 61 in Luke 4:20, it reads more like the Greek version than our inherited Hebrew version. Jesue was not readin from Greek, but a different Hebrew or Aramaic text type.

It was more common for the Apostles, for instance, to quote or allude to the text tradition behind the Greek, than to refer to the text tradition behind the version of the Hebrew we're more accustomed to in Western Bible translations.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

cyberlizard

the electric lizard returns
Jul 5, 2007
chesterfield, UK
Visit site
✟25,065.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
I don't know why anyone would want an English translation of a Greek translation of the Hebrew/Aramaic. Why not translate directly from the Hebrew and Aramaic.

we have to remember that just as was previously said, there were 'streams' of textual traditions these being what we would now call, the Masoretic tradition (though the MT text we have now is very late), we have the Dead Sea Scrolls and we have the families of the Septuagints. Unfortunately, there are differences between all of them and I suspect that none is definative.

If we could go back in time to when the documents that form our now bibles were written there would be marked differences, but the real treasure would not have been the written scriptures but the oral traditions and targumic stories that went alongside them. As it was said by one of old, it is good to have 'the living and abiding word' (i.e. the oral tradition), despite the risks it brought.

Steve

Upvote 0

Obedientiarius

AKA Dunstan
May 20, 2015
here
✟7,714.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

SummaScriptura

Forever Newbie
May 30, 2007
Scam Francisco
Visit site
✟49,219.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I just discovered this translation of the LXX 2 days ago...

https://www.logos.com/product/36588/the-lexham-english-septuagint

So far it is only available as part of the Logos Bible software. It is very readable in style. I've been looking for something a little less academic than the NETS.

The LES (Lexham English Septuagint) is a translation of the Codex Vaticanus which is the oldest surviving copy of the LXX.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Thanks for this thread. It has been ages since I looked at the LXX. One passage that really stood out for me was the use of the greek word #450.

It is used in Isaiah 26:19 and 2 times in the Greek NT for "resurrection"....showing the future resurrection of Jesus and the Saints....

Isaiah 26:19
Your dead will live/rise; Their corpses will rise. You who lie in the dust, awake and shout for joy,
For your dew is as the dew of the dawn, And the earth will give birth to the departed spirits.

[LXX]
Isaiah 26:19
anasthsontai/450 oi nekroi/#3498 kai egerqhsontai/#1463 oi en toiv mnhmeioiv/#3419 kai eufranqhsontai/#2165 oi en th gh h gar drosov h para sou iama/#2386 autoiv estin h de gh twn asebwn/#765 peseitai/#4098

https://www.academic-bible.com/en/o...1/269999/ch/54783d0d2db4841818dfa81d973a7eed/

ἀναστήσονται οἱ νεκροί, καὶ ἐγερθήσονται οἱ ἐν τοῖς μνημείοις, καὶ εὐφρανθήσονται οἱ ἐν τῇ γῇ· ἡ γὰρ δρόσος ἡ παρὰ σοῦ ἴαμα αὐτοῖς ἐστιν, ἡ δὲ γῆ τῶν ἀσεβῶν πεσεῖται.—

Matt 12:41
"Men Ninevites shall be resurrecting/standing-up/anasthsontai <450> (5698) in the judging with the generation/geneaV <1074>, this and they shall be condemning her,
that they reform into the proclamation of Jonah and behold! more of Jonah here.
[Jonah 3]

1 Thessalonians 4:16
That Himself, the Lord, in a shout-of-command in voice of Chief-Messenger and in trump of God, shall be descending from heaven
and the dead-ones in Christ shall be resurrecting/standing-up/anasthsontai <450> (5698) First

Last edited:
Upvote 0