New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I don't like sweets.
I mean i like them but they aren't good for me. Just like, other temptations are enjoyable doesn't mean they are good for me.
They rot your teeth. I have fillings to prove it. Why would you as a parent encourage something like that I don't know.
We can have dressups but not halloween which is specifially about fear and evil.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
its the intention behind it that is not good. It's like..christmas. I know heaps of people celebrate it in a specifically non-christian way and make a mockery of how its a time of giving and receiving and it becomes a greedy enterprise.

The road to hell is paved with seemingly good intentions. But people aren't aware of it and unwittingly buy into it. And then children grow up with this sense that they can't give up their toys (or idols). Because their parents encourage them in this area.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Eg. children often ask WHY their parents give presents and if santa exists. And often the parents can't answer and go along with this charade just out of obligation. Or they say because Jesus got presents as a boy, that means we meant to give everyone gifts. Or something they can't explain.

Like I don't know if there is anything in the bible that says we HAVE to celebrate Halloween. And it's not a feast day like Passover or Sukkot or the other festivals that celebrate God in the OT.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
well so far no trick or treaters have come to our house and its getting dark now so, I hope they are safe and gone home. I saw some go next door, one was dressed as a witch and the other a devil, but we shut our gate so they wouldn't come knocking.

I pulled out some old mints just in case, I told dad if they come give them that, I suggested maybe they'd like some tangelos but Dad just said no, give them lollies.

Upvote 0

Bluelion

Peace and Love
Oct 6, 2013
Pa
✟6,506.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
well so far no trick or treaters have come to our house and its getting dark now so, I hope they are safe and gone home. I saw some go next door, one was dressed as a witch and the other a devil, but we shut our gate so they wouldn't come knocking.

I pulled out some old mints just in case, I told dad if they come give them that, I suggested maybe they'd like some tangelos but Dad just said no, give them lollies.

you think you are better than them? You think you are not as wicked as a witch, or you have not served the devil at one time? I am the worst sinner, chief of all the sinners. what would you give me if i came knocking. You know who was chief sinner before me? Paul said that who wrote 13 books of the Bible.

You are a sinner, you are wicked, it is only by God's grace are we righteous. God paid Our debt. You were born into sin like everyone else, and even if you have Jesus you still sin and have a sinful nature. Maybe remember your own sins next time you judge some one.

Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

ScottA

Author: Walking Like Einstein
Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2011
✟33,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't like sweets.
I mean i like them but they aren't good for me. Just like, other temptations are enjoyable doesn't mean they are good for me.
They rot your teeth. I have fillings to prove it. Why would you as a parent encourage something like that I don't know.
We can have dressups but not halloween which is specifially about fear and evil.
We as parents, just as God has done, are to show our children what sweet [good] is, so we can better appreciate what is not good: Taste and see that the Lord is good. Likewise, the festival of booths, was to show that we once dwelt in temporary bodies of flesh and wandered in the desert. Dress up of what we were, even evil, does the same. But our celebration should be that we no longer live among the dead.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
On the tv they kept showing all the horror movies from america. Ugh.
I dont watch tv but our house does have one cos my parents watch it and the ads were saying on a lot of the channels movies like halloween, scream, the haunting etc.

When you expose children to that they get stupid occult and demonic influences, and some of them, like the movie exorcist, children definitely should not watch.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
your point?
Why bother taking part is my question...
I dont' see it as anything you need to do for the sake of it, there's better things you can do with your children. Just saying, because it seems you are telling christians its ok to do.
I don't think it is...exposing children to think evil is a thing to play with. Just cos everyone else does something, doesn't mean you have to.

Shine your light.

It's the only holiday where you go to a strangers door, ring the bell, and actually have a conversation with them. If that's not outreach, or the opportunity for it, I don't know what is.

Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
It's not a holiday in my country, people don't get the day off.
Also, why would a christian be dressing as a witch and going to strangers houses???

If they come to our house we can tell the children the gospel but I don't see and never heard of any children coming to my door sharing the gospel but just wanting lollies OR they are Jehovah's Witnesses. Just as troublesome.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
It's the only holiday where you go to a strangers door, ring the bell, and actually have a conversation with them. If that's not outreach, or the opportunity for it, I don't know what is.
No its not.
Christmas we go carolling and talk to people and knock on their door.

I don't know what you think halloween is, but I never thought it was christian at all.

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
No its not.
Christmas we go carolling and talk to people and knock on their door.

I don't know what you think halloween is, but I never thought it was christian at all.

It can be whatever you want it to be.

Ive never been good at singing, so caroling isn't my thing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
well, its not christian, just saying.
I don't see anything christian about it, just annoying.

Carolling? definitely christian. We are always meant to make melody in our hearts to praise the Lord. When we go to church, don't know about you, but singing is definitely a christian thing that takes up most of the service.

Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Well my Wife and I had forgotten it was Halloween ,we visited our kids at their new neighborhood.

As we got out of the truck we were greeted by the neighbors dressed up and offering jello shots.
We responded oh how nice of you but no thanks,at that point we realised the whole neighborhood was drinking.
They had tables set up and it was a block party.
At one point I went out to the garage and a large lady in a black witch outfit with her body exposed came up and offered me a shot.

How in the world can people think of their kids safety when they are all getting drunk,actually I think they were krunk. (REALLY DRUNK)

The world is changing, I'm sure the children of the neighborhood will have a lot of memories to influence their future.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
that's terrible.
Well, since the world is multicultural we get festivals now from all different countries so around this time of year the hindus have their Diwali festival.
I'm not sure what's behind it all though they APPEAR to be having a good time. But I think again, is just an excuse to eat lots of lollies and chocolates and over-indulge.

Upvote 0

mikedsjr

Master Newbie
Aug 7, 2014
Fort Worth,Tx
✟17,192.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
The only reason I don't like Halloween is it seems teens can be more mischievous. But thankfully that was not an issue. It's amazing how creepy sounds on Halloween can creep me out.

I took my teenage son over to his friends house to go trick or treating. He dressed up as some fat goofball, using an air suit that blows up. I saw nothing in the neighborhoods which I thought concerned me. I don't get into Halloween. But I love seeing how people get into it. I told my son how funny it is people can walk down the street looking like a mad man and get away with it. Then we started thinking of places that wouldn't be funny, like on a country road in the fog at night. It made us laugh.

Reactions: Armoured
Upvote 0