Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
it seems like its halloween soon as the shops keep reminding us to buy their junk...

What do you as a christian, esp baptists do about this 'holiday'? When trick or treaters come to your door, do you invite them and give them sugary treats or do you see as an opportunity to spread the gospel?

Im not sure what to think about this trend to celebrate death, horror and evil spirits and disguises. It never used to be a big thing in my country but now it seems every retailer wants people to dress up and beg each other for more candy/lollies etc. as if hell and death are a good thing.

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Most parents will chaperone their kids from door to door. We have a nice neighborhood with a lot of nice families. I think it aids in bringing a sense of community and cheer to the world. I see nothing wrong with it. Trust God...worry less. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bluelion

Peace and Love
Oct 6, 2013
Pa
✟6,506.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I think it is just that innocence of evil if the children knew what evil was they would hide in the houses and not go out. I think it can be about conquering your fears. children often dress up as what they are afraid of, it teaches them not to be afraid. As an adult i would not do it and I use to love Halloween and my wife loved it I was like a kid again and dress up and put stuff up. I don't do that any more, and feel like i lost something, but until i figure out just why to do it I can not. For the kids it is great though and for them its all about candy. i think for kids it's fine, and i wish i could get back some of that innocence's i lost.

Reactions: mikedsjr
Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I guess it depends on the kind of neighbourhood you live in but even then I think its risky and if you not supervising them just one bad person can spoil it all. Well if you think its a harmless, innocent thing to do.

I don't like what's behind it though, spiritually. Other churches are putting on other events for children, one of them is doing a quiz night, so, I don't think many will bother with the whole charade of trick or treating, thank God!

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
But you right we must trust God in whatever we do, although we are to avoid all appearance of evil and you can't tell me that people trying to scare others and dressing up as dead corpses and skeletons and witches isn't appearing evil.
I'd just say its unwittingly inviting demons to hang out at your house. Satan is NOT your friend.

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Not all of us can afford to live in 'nice' neighbourhoods, just be aware. Even the rich ones can be dangerous, like my brothers lived in a wealthy suburb and they had heaps of burglaries.

I grew up 3 blocks from a large portion of rough section 8 housing projects. We still went trick or treating, and felt safe because there were other parents with their kids out there doing the same thing. Our house was broken into 4 times in 3 years too, so I know the feeling of not feeling very safe at home. Now if the neighborhood was dark and there weren't people around doing the same thing, that's probably different.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
your point?
Why bother taking part is my question...
I dont' see it as anything you need to do for the sake of it, there's better things you can do with your children. Just saying, because it seems you are telling christians its ok to do.
I don't think it is...exposing children to think evil is a thing to play with. Just cos everyone else does something, doesn't mean you have to.

Shine your light.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
seems like people just wanna justify something and ignore spiritual realities of what they doing. If they come to my door, fine, but I'm not encouraging it as something to force your children to do. You have to teach children to beware of what evil really is, and why its not a good idea, thus, the gospel.

tricking people and 'treating' people dressed up as demons isn't something christians ought to do IMHO. If that sounds judgemental, take it up with God.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
i mean what happens if you don't have any candy lol.

Not that I've ever been pranked, but the way its done in other countries I think they get way out of hand.

Here it's Guy Fawkes night that some people just go stupid over. Even though it was originally a celebration of a terrorist plot being foiled (the catholics tried to blow up the british parliament) I think its kinda lost its meaning, but what happened is now most fireworks are not on sale only in about three days leading up to it, and no more skyrockets and hand bangers, plus, there are now public displays which anyone can go to for free so people don't go doing stupid things like letting off rockets and killing people with them by accident.

Upvote 0

Job8

Dec 1, 2014
✟21,583.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I dont' see it as anything you need to do for the sake of it, there's better things you can do with your children.
The doctrine of CHRISTIAN SEPARATION is rarely taught or understood today. There are a lot of Christians who believe that there is nothing wrong with participating in Halloween, even though it is dedicated to evil spirits. Even secular parents know that it is an extremely dangerous time for their children to be wandering around collecting razor blades or whatever some evil genius will come up with.

Reactions: Goodbook
Upvote 0

ScottA

Author: Walking Like Einstein
Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2011
✟33,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
it seems like its halloween soon as the shops keep reminding us to buy their junk...

What do you as a christian, esp baptists do about this 'holiday'? When trick or treaters come to your door, do you invite them and give them sugary treats or do you see as an opportunity to spread the gospel?

Im not sure what to think about this trend to celebrate death, horror and evil spirits and disguises. It never used to be a big thing in my country but now it seems every retailer wants people to dress up and beg each other for more candy/lollies etc. as if hell and death are a good thing.
I don't know of anyone who celebrates Halloween to promote hell and death or evil. Perhaps there are a handful. But all such things, yeah...even all the world, has been overcome. There is no hallowed evil ground, but only conquered ground. Likewise, ring-around-the-rosie...is child's play. It ain't what it use to be - enjoy the sweets!

Reactions: JCFantasy23
Upvote 0