The Sabbath: Why do Christians say Sunday?

GoodNewsJim

Senior Veteran
Aug 2, 2006
Visit site
✟20,152.00
Faith
Presbyterian
I think we should concede the Sabbath is Saturday. The Jews know the right day. I don't see why Christians should say,"Nah, lets make it Sunday."

To me the Sabbath is sorta irrelevant in general context though because Jesus said it is okay to do good to others on it. If you're working and using your money to help the poor, then you're doing good on the Sabbath, right? So if you're a strong faithed Christian, and everything you do is to help others come to Jesus, then every day is helping others.

But for real, why is there no big national movement to make the Sabbath on Saturday for Christians? We can still have church on Sunday, but start treating the Sabbath as Saturday.

I'm honestly curious.

Apollo Celestio

Deal with it.
Jul 11, 2007
Ohio
✟36,579.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
I think we should concede the Sabbath is Saturday. The Jews know the right day. I don't see why Christians should say,"Nah, lets make it Sunday."

To me the Sabbath is sorta irrelevant in general context [^^^^IMPORTANT]though because Jesus said it is okay to do good to others on it. If you're working and using your money to help the poor, then you're doing good on the Sabbath, right? So if you're a strong faithed Christian, and everything you do is to help others come to Jesus, then every day is helping others.

But for real, why is there no big national movement to make the Sabbath on Saturday for Christians? We can still have church on Sunday, but start treating the Sabbath as Saturday.

I'm honestly curious.

If you're willing to admit this, why discuss it? The sabbath is Friday's sundown to saturday's sundown also by the way. Not just Saturday.

Either way, there are seventh day adventists and I'm sure there are a few Judaizers prowling about too.. they'll also tell you what you can and cannot eat.

Upvote 0
E

explodingboy

To me the Sabbath is sorta irrelevant in general context though because Jesus said it is okay to do good to others on it. If you're working and using your money to help the poor, then you're doing good on the Sabbath, right? So if you're a strong faithed Christian, and everything you do is to help others come to Jesus, then every day is helping others.

I'm honestly curious.

I fail to see what you hope to achieve moving the Sabbath to Saturday and keeping church on Sunday.. surely it makes it rather hard for anyone who doesn't want work on the sabbath, as they'd now miss church rather than having the day off for church..

Upvote 0

her2011

Mar 27, 2011
✟7,766.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I think what is important is that you keep one day separate for Worship, for me that is sunday, the only 'work' I do on a sunday is volunteering in the Sunday School, and that is the Lord's Word.

Jesus rose again on a Sunday, and so Christians mark that, but remember the early Christians would have still gone to the Synagogue on a saturday, then met their fellow christians on a sunday for Worship communion

SO if you have time, do both :-D

Upvote 0

Lord Herdsetk

What were they thinking?
Dec 4, 2010
Alabama
✟16,810.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
You know technically, the Hebrew day began at night and ended in the afternoon. If we look at Sunday as day one of creation and Saturday as day seven of creation, day one would have began at night, and ended the next afternoon, which would be our equivalent of Monday afternoon.

Follow this pattern all the way to Saturday the sabbath, the day begins Saturday night, and ends Sunday afternoon. Technically, Sunday morning church and Saturday night church WOULD be the Sabbath. Our Western thinking places Saturday as the Sabbath when in actuality the Sabbath would be a mix of Saturday night and Sunday morning.

However, let's look at Mark 2: 23-28

23 One Sabbath Jesus was going through the grainfields, and as his disciples walked along, they began to pick some heads of grain. 24 The Pharisees said to him, “Look, why are they doing what is unlawful on the Sabbath?”
25 He answered, “Have you never read what David did when he and his companions were hungry and in need? 26 In the days of Abiathar the high priest, he entered the house of God and ate the consecrated bread, which is lawful only for priests to eat. And he also gave some to his companions.”

27 Then he said to them, “The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath. 28 So the Son of Man is Lord even of the Sabbath.”

Essentially, Jesus is forcing the Pharisees to choose between David, a great king of Israel and a man after God's own heart who openly broke the laws of the Sabbath by eating this ritual food meant only for priests, and their laws, which they interpreted as keeping the Sabbath holy as a day of rest without any exception. Jesus was saying, look, the Sabbath was meant to be a day for you relax and worship God. Instead, you treat it as binding, and constricting, wringing out the entire purpose of a day of rest.

I've actually heard that, in ancient Hebrew times, they would divide up their land into seven parts. Six parts would be cultivated each year for food, while the seventh part would be left alone to rest for that year. So every year that came, they would alternate between the divided parts to equally give the land a chance to rest.

Why can't we as Christians take this viewpoint? Who cares if I worship Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, or Saturday? As long as I'm setting aside time for God, can you really rag on me for that? Just saying...

As to why Christians place Sunday as the sabbath, it'd probably have something to do with the pagan practices going around at the time. Now just because I say pagan, don't think 'worship on sunday = ungodly'. The truth is, in some ways it was conformity and to distance themselves from Jews as far as outsides were concerned, but to also be protected from persecution.

Upvote 0

GoodNewsJim

Senior Veteran
Aug 2, 2006
Visit site
✟20,152.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Sara Belle,

I don't think God minds. But maybe some Jewish people do. They might think,"Why do the Christians have to move the Sabbath? That is just wrong, so they might be wrong on other things."

Apollo,

I'm not down for adopting all the things in the law, after all when Peter was shown the sheet of unclean foods, he was told to witness to the Gentiles. Not a bit of the Law is lost to know we are sinners, but we do not live under law, but grace. So to me, there's no point in living under the Law.

I'm just thinking if the Sabbath was observed on the proper day instead of Sunday, maybe that'd draw some Jews closer to Jesus...

But I never stopped to think it might put division among Christians, so hey, lets carry on, and forget this thread.

Upvote 0

LadyOfMystery

Heart of Gold
Mar 25, 2007
North Carolina
✟279,393.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I don't think we should care what other people or other religions believe or think of Christians and what the Sabbath day is. I think we should just stick with what God minds and what is sin and not sin. IMO.

I always thought that Sunday is the Sabbath day and will continue to, from what I've been taught as a Christian. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JohnDB

May 16, 2007
nashville
✟53,921.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ummmm Jim,

The word and term Sabbath (which means cease) was used precisely as a metaphor for Jesus' work on the Cross when mentioned by God in the Ten Commandments and elsewhere in the Old Testament. The Jews of old were to show faith in this by not working on the seventh day of the week.

Today we are to be free from a life of self righteousness (which is why I wonder why preachers love morality lessons). There is nothing we can do or not do to earn our way into heaven. The Law is one of love and with specific guidelines for actions to be written on our hearts...they are individual in nature and not general.

Today we go to church on Sunday to celebrate the Day that Jesus rose from the grave, (to show that we love him)

Much of the Old Testament is grossly mis characterized by well meaning readers. Most of this is due to the fact that most people do not have the first clue as to the construction of the Hebrew Language. It is highly metaphoric in nature. (ebonics and slang come to mind) and actually doesn't have many of equal translatable words as we do in English. It does however contain certain verb forms and adjectives that do not exist in the English language. These, amongst many other, are the reasons for the misunderstandings and forgetting of what has taken place.

Most people today take reading or quoting scripture for public consumption for granted...as well as carrying your own sins to Jesus for forgiveness. They take no association with John the Baptist's baptism with this ability. Even though it never happened before with out John the Baptist. Before then a Levite/rabbi was the only person allowed to handle scripture as well as it was necessary for a Levite Priest to take your sins to God to be forgiven.

Upvote 0

Touma

Feb 19, 2007
Virginia
✟19,033.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Sara Belle,

I don't think God minds. But maybe some Jewish people do. They might think,"Why do the Christians have to move the Sabbath? That is just wrong, so they might be wrong on other things."

Apollo,

I'm not down for adopting all the things in the law, after all when Peter was shown the sheet of unclean foods, he was told to witness to the Gentiles. Not a bit of the Law is lost to know we are sinners, but we do not live under law, but grace. So to me, there's no point in living under the Law.

I'm just thinking if the Sabbath was observed on the proper day instead of Sunday, maybe that'd draw some Jews closer to Jesus...

But I never stopped to think it might put division among Christians, so hey, lets carry on, and forget this thread.

Romans 9-11 talks all about why the majority of Jews reject Christ. It also doesn't help our case with bad history on our side. You know, pogroms and all that. Why would they want to be Christian when Christians were responsible for so much of their problems?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MacFall

Agorist
Nov 24, 2007
Western Pennsylvania, USA
✟25,688.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I don't think we can know which day of the week is actually the seventh. There have been so many almost total social upheavals and restructurings since human history began, for all we know the original seven day cycle since the earth's creation could end on a day we consider "Wednesday". What matters is putting a day aside for rest and fellowship with God and his Church.

Upvote 0

Stravinsk

Neo Baroque/Rococo Classical Artist
Mar 4, 2009
Australia
✟9,955.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Politics
US-Libertarian
Not everyone in the Christian faith believes Christ rose on Sunday. There are a few of us (and this idea is NOT new, some historical records show it goes back a long time and was held a long time) - who believe Christ rose on the Sabbath - a Saturday, and that "the first day of the week" is a mistranslation.

This understanding neccessitates that there were 2 Sabbaths that week - a passover Sabbath, and a weekly Sabbath. In the law - the passover was to start with a day of rest (Sabbath) and end with a day of rest(Sabbath) on the 1st and 7th days.

Compare:
And Mary Magdalene and Mary the mother of Joses beheld where he was laid. And when the sabbath was past, Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James, and Salome, bought sweet spices, that they might come and anoint him. And very early in the morning the first day of the week, they came unto the sepulchre at the rising of the sun. (Mark 15:47- 16:2)
And that day was the preparation, and the sabbath drew on. And the women also, which came with him from Galilee, followed after, and beheld the sepulchre, and how his body was laid. And they returned, and prepared spices and ointments; and rested the sabbath day according to the commandment. (Luke 23:55)
To quote Ronald Dart:
They bought spicesafter the Sabbath. They prepared those spices before a Sabbath. There had to be two Sabbaths that week with a day in between.

This idea of Sabbath resurrection fits with numerous OT scriptures that Jesus said must be fulfilled in Him. It also goes to the character of Jesus - the very manifestation of the Father.

Many Christians I find are actually a little confused by Jesus in His relation to the Sabbath. They are either confused or think that Jesus somehow broke the law (ie: they agree with the Pharisees accusations). This is problematic on many levels. If Christ broke the law He is not Messiah. To have a law-breaker for a saviour is dangerous on many levels, imo. Fortunately, I do not agree with the Pharisees accusations.

In all the Gospel Christ did nothing but honour the Sabbath - by teaching on it, by healing on it, by restoring the broken etc. There is not one day He is said to Honour Sunday - nor one hint of change in His teaching.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mjmcmillan

Sep 27, 2009
Out there. Thataway.
✟5,089.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I don't really think God gets all that bent out of shape if we worship on Sunday rather than Saturday. I have a suspicion He gets mightily displeased with the way some of our number are ready to throw others under the bus for this, though. Seriously, do you really think God is going to bar someone from the Kingdom because he celebrates on Sunday instead of Saturday?

Excuse me, but this whole thing smacks of Pharisaic religion and we need to stop it. If you hold Saturday to be sacred, then worship on Saturday. If, rather, you worship on Sunday and rest then, then worship on Sunday. Then, love your brothers and sisters in Christ just as Jesus tells us to do and stop majoring over minors. We have enough to do to battle the forces of evil without battling each other too.

Upvote 0

Stravinsk

Neo Baroque/Rococo Classical Artist
Mar 4, 2009
Australia
✟9,955.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Politics
US-Libertarian
I don't really think God gets all that bent out of shape if we worship on Sunday rather than Saturday. I have a suspicion He gets mightily displeased with the way some of our number are ready to throw others under the bus for this, though. Seriously, do you really think God is going to bar someone from the Kingdom because he celebrates on Sunday instead of Saturday?

Excuse me, but this whole thing smacks of Pharisaic religion and we need to stop it. If you hold Saturday to be sacred, then worship on Saturday. If, rather, you worship on Sunday and rest then, then worship on Sunday. Then, love your brothers and sisters in Christ just as Jesus tells us to do and stop majoring over minors. We have enough to do to battle the forces of evil without battling each other too.

Isn't this always the type of argument that comes forth when someone challenges a particular and common practice?

I mean, it's the same argument I hear when people take a stand on many issues - like homosexuality. "Don't worry, this is a minor issue, just love your brothers. Don't be a Pharisee".

Anyway, it's not really about what we *think* God thinks. It's what the Scriptures say.

Babylon and Babylonian religion is mentioned throughout Scripture, Old and New Testaments. It represents a false religion. A false church.

The number one reason the Israelites are banished to Babylon is what?

Ronald Dart said:
Ezekiel was already a known prophet when the Jews found themselves in Babylon. Some of the elders came to him there to enquire of God, but God was having none of it. "Speak to these elders," God said to Ezekiel, "and tell them this: Are ye come to inquire of me? As I live, saith the Lord GOD, I will not be inquired of by you." (Ezek. 20:4)
Strong words, and strongly put. "Will you judge them?" God asked Ezekiel, "Will you judge them, son of man? Then confront them with the detestable practices of their fathers." What follows is a litany of the sins that ultimately led to the Jews downfall as a nation. Included prominently in this list is the Sabbath day:
And I gave them my statutes, and showed them my judgments, which if a man do, he shall even live in them. Moreover also I gave them my sabbaths, to be a sign between me and them, that they might know that I am the LORD that sanctify them.
Note well. God gave them the Sabbaths as a sign so they might know who their God was. They were just coming out of Egypt where there was one set of gods and they were headed for Canaan where there was yet another set of gods. The Sabbath was more than just another law. It was the law that identified their God. It told them whose laws and rites they were to practice.
But the house of Israel rebelled against me in the wilderness: they walked not in my statutes, and they despised my judgments, which if a man do, he shall even live in them; and my sabbaths they greatly polluted: then I said, I would pour out my fury upon them in the wilderness, to consume them. But I wrought for my name's sake, that it should not be polluted before the heathen, in whose sight I brought them out.
It seems strange that the children of Israel were already corrupting the Sabbath while they were still in the wilderness. One would have thought it would have taken longer.
But I said unto their children in the wilderness, Walk ye not in the statutes of your fathers, neither observe their judgments, nor defile yourselves with their idols: I am the LORD your God; walk in my statutes, and keep my judgments, and do them; And hallow my Sabbaths; and they shall be a sign between me and you, that ye may know that I am Jehovah your God.
Ezekiel proclaims the same formula we read in Exodus. The Sabbath identifies, not the children of Israel, but their God. God warned them of the consequence of corrupting the Sabbath right from the start.
I lifted up mine hand unto them also in the wilderness, that I would scatter them among the heathen, and disperse them through the countries; Because they, had not executed my judgments, but had despised my statutes, and had polluted my Sabbaths. (Ezek. 20:23)
In the end, the Jews went into captivity in Babylon for a broad variety of transgressions, but the number one reason that led to all the others was that they corrupted the Sabbath day.

According to Scripture and God's own words through His prophets - making "ordinary" the Sabbath - "polluting it" - which is exactly what Sunday in preference to Saturday does - has consequences.

Babylonian consequences.

I'm not "throwing anyone under the bus" - nor making ultimate judgements about salvation. That's not my place. And I'm far from perfect either. I don't even often keep the Sabbath command as I should - and the Good Lord knows I'm a pretty bad example of a Christian otherwise in certain areas.

But have a look around at kooky "christianity". Numerous denominations. No one can agree. Fake faith healers and swindlers. Lots of people confused. Physical healings that are promised but don't happen. People bowing before popes and statues and worshipping wafers. Is all this not spiritual babylon?

Upvote 0

MacFall

Agorist
Nov 24, 2007
Western Pennsylvania, USA
✟25,688.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Goodnewsjim, do you also call him Yeshua?

I've often wondered why people do that. If we want to be really true to his name we should call him "God saves", or possibly "Yahweh saves". Or if we want to be really super-duper Hebrew about it, spell it YHWH. I don't understand this thing about trying to be as Hebrew as possible. I'm not really opposed to it, but it doesn't make sense to me. Chances are that when men first spoke the name of God, it was in Sumerian anyway. And for that matter I don't think that God's true name is pronounceable in any human tongue. He never really named himself in the Bible; he only described himself.

Upvote 0