Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
The rise of liberal intolerance in America | Financial Times

It ought to be a triumphal moment for American liberalism. In the space of a few years gay marriage has been accepted, marijuana has been legalised, America has twice elected its first black president and may well be gearing up to elect its first woman. Yet the revival of political correctness on US campuses — and the increasingly shrill tone of much of the intellectual left — tells another story. Instead of championing free speech, the left is trying to shut it down. In the name of diversity, it demands conformity. At stake is the character of US democracy. If elite Ivy League schools cannot stand the heat, what kind of kitchen will it be?
What does this mean for the future? Forget about universities. The future has already graduated. Anyone with ambition in US public life has long since learnt the value of self-censorship. A word out of context can ruin your chances of being confirmed by the US Senate. Risk-taking is penalised. Blandness is key to career advancement. Little wonder large swaths of the American public have lost faith in their leaders’ integrity. When a politician speaks, the effect is too often chloroformic. The vacuum that spontaneity once occupied is wide open for others to fill. Next time you wonder why a demagogue like Donald Trump is doing so well, ask why there is such high return to his plain spokenness. Could it be because it is being rooted out of public life?
003-Scott-Brown6.jpg

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,988.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Strange, I find liberals--myself included--finding the sort of restrictions on free speech in places of higher education a bad thing.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
The rise of liberal intolerance in America | Financial Times

It ought to be a triumphal moment for American liberalism. In the space of a few years gay marriage has been accepted, marijuana has been legalised, America has twice elected its first black president and may well be gearing up to elect its first woman. Yet the revival of political correctness on US campuses — and the increasingly shrill tone of much of the intellectual left — tells another story. Instead of championing free speech, the left is trying to shut it down. In the name of diversity, it demands conformity. At stake is the character of US democracy. If elite Ivy League schools cannot stand the heat, what kind of kitchen will it be?
What does this mean for the future? Forget about universities. The future has already graduated. Anyone with ambition in US public life has long since learnt the value of self-censorship. A word out of context can ruin your chances of being confirmed by the US Senate. Risk-taking is penalised. Blandness is key to career advancement. Little wonder large swaths of the American public have lost faith in their leaders’ integrity. When a politician speaks, the effect is too often chloroformic. The vacuum that spontaneity once occupied is wide open for others to fill. Next time you wonder why a demagogue like Donald Trump is doing so well, ask why there is such high return to his plain spokenness. Could it be because it is being rooted out of public life?
003-Scott-Brown6.jpg

LOL! the Peanuts cartoon is priceless ^_^

Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
I'm guessing this is another liberal bashing thread. I thought that dead horse had been beaten enough.
No.

The subject is the intolerance of political correctness ... as currently defined by liberals.

Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

lupusFati

Bigby, Reid, and Z
Apr 17, 2013
Idaho
Visit site
✟11,996.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
"Political correctness" is a euphemism, which translates to "I resent being made to feel guilty for being a bigot".

Yeah God(s) forbid we not love one another. Literally it's like, in the Bible even. Totally supposed to love one another, which means respect. Idk why that's so hard to understand for some people.

Upvote 0

lupusFati

Bigby, Reid, and Z
Apr 17, 2013
Idaho
Visit site
✟11,996.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
No.

The subject is the intolerance of political correctness ... as currently defined by liberals.

You're right. I'm intolerant of racism, sexism, etc. I'm intolerant of such ignorant views.

You see, I believe that people should at least make an effort to treat each other with respect, even if they disagree on certain things.

Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
You're right. I'm intolerant of racism, sexism, etc. I'm intolerant of such ignorant views.
Noting the intolerance of intolerance.

Thank you for making the point so clearly.
You see, I believe that people should at least make an effort to treat each other with respect, even if they disagree on certain things.
How would you grade yourself on being tolerant?

Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

A2SG

Gumby
Jun 17, 2008
Massachusetts
✟98,174.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
No.

But we're not defining it. The author of your quoted piece isn't liberal, so why do you assume he speaks for us?

You want a liberal's opinion on "political correctness"? Ask one.

For my part, I think the issue is nothing more than a conservative strawman. What you call "political correctness" is simply an attempt to be polite. Nothing more, nothing less. The only time this "issue" comes into the conversation is when someone chooses to intentionally use inflammatory or insulting terms and is then surprised when people object or call them out for doing so.

You want to be rude or insulting? There's no law against it. But learn to expect pushback, because people don't blindly accept the old pecking order any more. You can't just insult people with impunity any more.

Sorry.

-- A2SG, if you're accepting conservatives as spokesmen for liberals, can I now be your spokesman? That's gonna be fun!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Mountain_Girl406

Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2015
✟144,014.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
LOL! the Peanuts cartoon is priceless ^_^
Is it a real peanuts cartoon by Schultz? If not, it seems a bit inappropriate to present his characters that way.

Upvote 0

A2SG

Gumby
Jun 17, 2008
Massachusetts
✟98,174.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Is it a real peanuts cartoon by Schultz? If not, it seems a bit inappropriate to present his characters that way.

It isn't.

-- A2SG, for one thing, the lettering is way off, and for another, Schulz didn't copy/paste his strips like that.....

Upvote 0

SnowyMacie

Apr 12, 2011
North Texas
✟118,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
In Relationship
Strange, I find liberals--myself included--finding the sort of restrictions on free speech in places of higher education a bad thing.

-CryptoLutheran
Yup, exactly.

Upvote 0

nightflight

Veteran
Mar 13, 2006
Your dreams.
✟30,570.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
"Political correctness" is a euphemism, which translates to "I resent being made to feel guilty for being a bigot".

"Bigot" being anyone who disagrees with the Left on any issue.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

A2SG

Gumby
Jun 17, 2008
Massachusetts
✟98,174.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

lupusFati

Bigby, Reid, and Z
Apr 17, 2013
Idaho
Visit site
✟11,996.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Noting the intolerance of intolerance.

Thank you for making the point so clearly.

You're welcome.
*biggest grin ever*

How would you grade yourself on being tolerant?

It's honestly not that hard if you have a shred of empathy.

Upvote 0

Oafman

Try telling that to these bog brained murphys
Dec 19, 2012
Malice
✟28,559.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Labour
Thread completely disassembled in one succinct sentence.

Next...!

Upvote 0

fargonic

Nov 15, 2014
✟14,445.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Next time you wonder why a demagogue like Donald Trump is doing so well, ask why there is such high return to his plain spokenness.

The Trump Phenomenon is an over-reaction to PC. PC can be very limiting to actual exchange of ideas at its extremes. Donald Trump is the "fix" for that in the same way that the pain of a banged toe can be "fixed" by slamming one's fingers in a door repeatedly.

Trump is what happens when people give in to their lesser natures body and soul.

Upvote 0