rsduncan

Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
✟10,402.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
It allows Rabbinic Jews the chance to settle the matter in their own minds. This means that you can no longer get people that say that He was a bad man who deserved the punishment He got (as some have said), nor that He never even existed and so forth. This will ease Christian prejudices somewhat. Similarly, it would allow any apologies to be made if necessary, and allow the discussion of Jesus within Judaism to be extended beyond Jewish documentaries on the History Channel. This alone would radically change the dynamic of the relationship between the two religions. For centuries no one has been prepared to make a definitive statement on the behavior of the Sanhedrin in that era, and a lot of excuses and denials have been flying around, pretty much slapping the face of Christian history and relegating to the world of fantasy, which is never going to smooth the waters.

What seems to be forgotten is that this is an initiative started by a group of Rabbis, none of which are saying that He is God or messiah or anything like that. In other words, this is not an idea that came from the Vatican or similar to try to win street cred with the Rabbis. This could be an impulse from God Himself. A chance for a mitzvah. A tikkun. Surely an honest appraisal would be favorable in the eyes of God and He can open those sefirot and pour some light down.

I could go on. And on. However, I believe hardened hearts are the spirit of this age and nothing will happen.

This is a finely-crafted post, CM, but Chrstians, especially Gentile Christians, need to drop their prejudices unilaterally and unconditionally. Too much suffering and death have come from this - suffering I don't think the Jews deserved, especially if we believe that our L-rd and Savior was sent by G-d to be the propitiation for our sins. The Jews deserve our love as fellowservants of G-d and as our brothers and sisters. IMO, we need to find a way to respect each others faiths, love each other and work together to make the world a better place in accordance with Torah, and the Law given by G-d through His servant, Moshe Rabbeinu...

Reactions: visionary
Upvote 0

chunkofcoal

Messianic Christian
Sep 30, 2004
✟83,228.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What seems to be forgotten is that this is an initiative started by a group of Rabbis, none of which are saying that He is God or messiah or anything like that. In other words, this is not an idea that came from the Vatican or similar to try to win street cred with the Rabbis. This could be an impulse from God Himself. A chance for a mitzvah. A tikkun. Surely an honest appraisal would be favorable in the eyes of God and He can open those sefirot and pour some light down.

I could go on. And on. However, I believe hardened hearts are the spirit of this age and nothing will happen.

Part of your post reminds me of something I read the other day. Rabbi Shmuley Boteach has a new book coming out at the end of the year called "Kosher Jesus" On his website he said the book is for Christians but also for the Jews -

But the book is also for Jews who remain deeply uncomfortable with Jesus because of the Church’s long history of anti-Semitism, the deification of Jesus, and the Jewish rejection of any Messiah who has not fulfilled the Messianic prophecies. We Jews will forever reject the divinity of any man, the single most emphatic prohibition of our Bible. And we can never accept the Messiahship of any personality, however noble or well-intended, who died without ushering in the age of physical redemption. But as Christians and Jews now come together to love and support the majestic and humane Jewish state, it’s time that Christians rediscover the deep Jewishness and religious Jewish commitment of Jesus, while Jews reexamine a lost son who was murdered by a brutal Roman state who sought to impose Roman culture and rule upon a tiny yet stubborn nation who will never be severed from their eternal covenant with the G-d of Israel.

Rabbi Shmuley - News

Maybe it is an impulse from God?! :clap:

Upvote 0

ChavaK

להיות טוב ולעשות טוב
May 12, 2005
US
✟158,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
It would be interesting to know when the article was written. I suspect it's quite old, and the idea never got any attraction.....an attempt started by one man that never went anywhere.

The article says:
Ariel Cohen is building a team of people to bring a formal petition to the Jewish Sanhedrin in Jerusalem, Israel.

Ariel Cohen has contacted over 400 Rabbis and Jewish intellectuals in Israel and around the world and is now bringing together a team of influential Jews to work towards the retrial.
I've heard absolutely nothing about him being successful in doing this.

In 1984 Ariel Cohen Alloro, an Orthodox Jewish priest, began detailed research and publication of a book that was eventually entitled "Yimach Shmo"
If he wrote the book 27 years ago, and attempted with in a short time after that
to attempt a retrial, it looks like he did not meet with success.

Upvote 0

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟572,538.44
Faith
Messianic
It would be interesting to know when the article was written. I suspect it's quite old, and the idea never got any attraction.....an attempt started by one man that never went anywhere.

The article says:

If he wrote the book 27 years ago, and attempted with in a short time after that
Are you happy or sad about that?

Upvote 0

ChavaK

להיות טוב ולעשות טוב
May 12, 2005
US
✟158,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Are you happy or sad about that?
Neither....to me it really is irrelevant. I'm not trying to be antagonist about the whole thing....I just don't see any value in it,
from a Jewish POV that is.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ContraMundum

Messianic Jewish Christian
Supporter
Jul 2, 2005
Visit site
✟78,078.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
This is a finely-crafted post, CM, but Chrstians, especially Gentile Christians, need to drop their prejudices unilaterally and unconditionally. Too much suffering and death have come from this - suffering I don't think the Jews deserved, especially if we believe that our L-rd and Savior was sent by G-d to be the propitiation for our sins. The Jews deserve our love as fellowservants of G-d and as our brothers and sisters. IMO, we need to find a way to respect each others faiths, love each other and work together to make the world a better place in accordance with Torah, and the Law given by G-d through His servant, Moshe Rabbeinu...

Agreed.

Yeah, I hear you, but there is one thing I have learned growing up in the Jewish community: most people in the community are well aware that real Christians don't go around persecuting Jews. It's not the Gentile Christians who are the problem: it's the unsaved "Christians" and their incessant prejudice against everyone, who use religion to serve their own ignorant ideas. This doesn't go on "on masse" anymore, that honour seems to go to Islam these days, but it does rear its ugly head in individuals from time to time.

Having said that, I really also remember a dreadful and sometimes ugly prejudice against Christians coming from some Jews in my time. It's out of character too. I really think the tree-hugger notion that all religions teach and preach peace deep down is the truth- it's the whackos who ruin it for everyone.

So, I guess in a nutshell what I am saying is this: if Christians believe in Jesus, they should promote peace to everyone. While I don't think that is an major emphasis in the Torah, I know Judaism teaches this too. People with prejudices don't follow their own religions. :)

Upvote 0

ContraMundum

Messianic Jewish Christian
Supporter
Jul 2, 2005
Visit site
✟78,078.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Not even a year old.

The article says:

Too soon.

The book does not call for a retrial. I just received mine. I haven't taken a month off to read it yet. :) It is in Hebrew, BTW. Don't know when the English will come out.

Upvote 0

rsduncan

Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
✟10,402.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Agreed.

Yeah, I hear you, but there is one thing I have learned growing up in the Jewish community: most people in the community are well aware that real Christians don't go around persecuting Jews. It's not the Gentile Christians who are the problem: it's the unsaved "Christians" and their incessant prejudice against everyone, who use religion to serve their own ignorant ideas. This doesn't go on "on masse" anymore, that honour seems to go to Islam these days, but it does rear its ugly head in individuals from time to time.

Having said that, I really also remember a dreadful and sometimes ugly prejudice against Christians coming from some Jews in my time. It's out of character too. I really think the tree-hugger notion that all religions teach and preach peace deep down is the truth- it's the whackos who ruin it for everyone.

So, I guess in a nutshell what I am saying is this: if Christians believe in Jesus, they should promote peace to everyone. While I don't think that is an major emphasis in the Torah, I know Judaism teaches this too. People with prejudices don't follow their own religions. :)

Agreed wholeheartedly, brother... :)

Upvote 0

DennisTate

Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Interesting article. It sounds like the author of the article (whoever that may be) is a believer.

A retrial would be interesting but probably incendiary.

I read quite a bit about this on Facebook and the response so far has been
very good. Both by Christians as well as by Orthodox Jews.

https://www.facebook.com/facingeachother/?fref=ts

Facing Each Other - PEACE between Judaism & Christianity

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BukiRob

Dec 14, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
✟50,619.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I found the article very moving. The words and music of "El Shaddai" played in my mind the whole time I was reading it.

For me, it is sufficient that, for the cause of justice and for the cause of peace between Jews and Christians that even one person of the Jewish faith is proposing the retrial, even if it never goes forward.

No Jew should ever have been branded a "Christ-killer". I see the "Christ-killer" every day. He's in my bathroom mirror. :(

Shalom, shalom to all my Jewish brothers and sisters...

Ah but there is poetic beauty in Messiahs crucifixion. It was the Jews who screamed for his death. Yet is was the Gentiles who executed him. Both the Jews and Gentiles are guilty of Messiah's innocent blood.

Reactions: DennisTate
Upvote 0

DennisTate

Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
The Retrial

"The retrial of Yeshua (Jesus Christ) is being undertaken by Orthodox Jews who believe that Yeshua was falsely accused. Christians believe that Jesus "had to die for the sins of the world" but did he also have to be falsely accused? The retrial will examine elements of Jewish and criminal law and matters of social justice that effect everyone. The retrial considers Biblical Commandments that require innocent men to be exonerated, those who speak evil against or condemn an innocent man must make restitution and bear witness of his innocence."

In a way.... the very fact that G-d allowed Herod the Great to choose so many
of the leading Jewish officials of that time period indicates that G-d set up
Rabbi Yeshua - Jesus in such a way that false accusations against him would
be highly probable.

I believe that the flavour of the Sanhedrin of the time of John the Baptist and
Rabbi Yeshua - Jesus was very different than the flavour of the modern
Sanhedrin that has been reformed a few years ago.

http://www.thesanhedrin.org/en/index.php?title=The_Re-established_Jewish_Sanhedrin

Upvote 0

ChavaK

להיות טוב ולעשות טוב
May 12, 2005
US
✟158,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
After having done a little research on him, his attempt is not going to go anywhere.
He accepts Jesus as messiah, and his work seems to be with Christian and Messianic groups.
None of that is exactly going to endear him to Judaism :)

I can't see him having any possibility of success because of the above issues.

As an aside.....how can they have a trial with no witnesses?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BukiRob

Dec 14, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
✟50,619.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
After having done a little research on him, his attempt is not going to go anywhere.
He accepts Jesus as messiah, and his work seems to be with Christian and Messianic groups.
None of that is exactly going to endear him to Judaism :)

I can't see him having any possibility of success because of the above issues.

As an aside.....how can they have a trial with no witnesses?

Impossible. They would be violating the Torah. On what 2 or 3 witnesses could be used to establish the matter?

Upvote 0